• Latest reply 7 months ago by OzyPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A5983BFB-886C-4D0D-9AF2-0CCE9BBB877A.jpeg
CBB72450-55FD-4F42-B242-D7A04A9BBA56.jpeg
Palantir Installation Instructions.pdf (PDF preview)
152163EE-BB0C-4DD6-AEE7-A26FD765747A (resized).jpeg
20201226_161704 (resized).jpg
IMG_2614 (resized).jpeg
6D982FEA-0C85-4596-86FE-D72FDF22C1B6.jpeg
20190927_210701 (resized).jpg
20190912_181445 (resized).jpg
20190818_094127 (resized).jpg
20180720_165623 (resized).jpg
7554B988-C983-4714-A8C1-601CB87B6885 (resized).jpeg
A7A81DC0-F9C5-4306-AFFF-C8D4C493993B (resized).jpeg
tumblr_o0am2oqJNj1u51fn2o1_500.gif
IMG_6725 (resized).JPG
4CD24BCB-70AC-4AEE-8151-5B42536B0011 (resized).jpeg
There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 5 years ago

I’ve just made a Palantir Eye of Sauron Crystal Sphere mod available for sale here on Pinside. The ad can be found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1227-williamson-pinball-mods/02988-palantir-eye-of-sauron-crystal-sphere-mod-for-stern-lotr

As a background, back in the Summer of 2017 I picked up a LOTR for my collection. Unshopped and unmodded, over time I was able to bring it up to its present condition, fully modded and playing 100% perfect. In the Fall of 2017 I was lucky enough to pick up one of Jay’s Palantir mods, as it now turns out from the last group that Jay made available on his website.

Fast forward to the Fall of 2018. A friend of mine picked up a nice unmodded LOTR. As I was looking his LOTR over with him I told him about Jay’s Palantir mod, which he was then interested in getting. As we then discovered Jay had apparently quit making the mod, having not made any more available for sale since the batch I bought mine from in late 2017. I told him that I would look and see what I could find figure out. Shortly thereafter Jay’s website was removed, leaving even further doubt about future availability.

So since the Christmas holidays I've been working off and on in recreating this mod for my friend, using my Palantir and the info posted here on Pinside as a basis. Once I figured out that I was able to make a good working test version, I ordered some more spheres. This past weekend I was able to fully finish them up, I have 6 of them made, 5 of which are available for sale.

They are made out of extremely durable 50mm K9 Crystal spheres. K9 is a Optical Borosilicate Crown Crystal (Optically Clear) with low inclusions and imperfections ideal for use in lenses and prisms, optics and decorative crystal lighting. It has good physical properties and can be polished similar to lead crystal, weighing approximately 15 percent less than full leaded crystal having a lead content of only 10 percent. It is also rather durable, as I advertently found out by dropping one from my 3 foot high counter onto the concrete garage floor. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not shatter, leaving just the slightest of marks on the surface. The spheres are mounted on PinballLife LOTR Palantir Brackets. Comet LEDs are used for the lighting source, with diode rectification to prevent ghosting, and Molex connectors to plug into the factory wiring harness.

Installation is extremely straightforward, and I will include illustrated instructions as well as attach a PDF here. The mod is also fully reversible if you ever decide to return your LOTR to factory stock condition.
l (resized).jpgl (resized).jpg6 Mod (resized).jpg6 Mod (resized).jpg

Palantir Installation Instructions.pdfPalantir Installation Instructions.pdf
#2 5 years ago

In for one! PM sent.

#3 5 years ago

Man I have been searching for one. A little above my pay scale though. Nice to see it being revived

#4 5 years ago

I have been looking for one as well, PM sent!

#5 5 years ago

Jay’s mod was the best addition to LOTR so massive kudos to you for undertaking this and making them again. Cheers!

#6 5 years ago

So glad this mod came available like this. PM sent.

#7 5 years ago

Finally, I'm in!

#8 5 years ago

Update: 4 have sold, one is pending payment. Looks like there is demand to make some more, so I've set those wheels in motion ordering more parts. I already have a few who indicated they wanted to be on a waiting list, so I will start one once I receive the payment for the 5th mod.

More info to come later.......Thanks!!

#9 5 years ago

Wow, what a response! All 5 have been sold with payment received in just over 4 hours!! Looks like I need to make more!

As promised, I will start a waiting list here in this thread. I'll be making 10 in the next run, which once I receive all the parts should take 4-6 weeks to make. If you are interested please copy the list into your post, adding yourself to the bottom. I've made the list a little longer in case someone has to back out. Once I've got the next run completed I'll post in this thread and contact y'all in order....

Price will stay at $190 shipped CONUS, other US territories and Canada will be slightly higher due to higher shipping cost.

Thanks again for the fantastic response and I hope the mods meet your expectations! Please let me know if you run into any issues. Also note that the installation instructions can be found as an PDF attachment in the first post of this thread.

NOTE: NO MORE ADDITIONS TO THE WAITING LIST AT THIS TIME, please see post #36 below!

#10 5 years ago

Me too

#11 5 years ago

Please add me to the list.

#12 5 years ago

My game came with one of these on it. It is a very cool feature. Great news that owners can get one too!

#13 5 years ago

Awesome, can finally get one.. please include me on your list and let me know when ready so I can pay... thank you for doing this!!

#14 5 years ago

Yup
I have a client that needs one of these

#15 5 years ago

I am in for one please. Lmk
Fred

#16 5 years ago

Definitely in for one on the next available batch! Please add me

#17 5 years ago

I’m in ...

Waiting List for next run of 10 Palantir Mods:
1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

#18 5 years ago

I'm in for one, add me to the list please.

#19 5 years ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12)
13)
14)
15)

#20 5 years ago

I'm in! Add me to the list please!

#21 5 years ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13)
14)
15)

#22 5 years ago

Count me in!

#23 5 years ago

Please put me on the list.

#24 5 years ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15)

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I’ve just made a Palantir Eye of Sauron Crystal Sphere mod available for sale here on Pinside. The ad can be found here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/76489 (1st run SOLD OUT!! See thread below for waiting list)
As a background, back in the Summer of 2017 I picked up a LOTR for my collection. Unshopped and unmodded, over time I was able to bring it up to its present condition, fully modded and playing 100% perfect. In the Fall of 2017 I was lucky enough to pick up one of Jay’s Palantir mods, as it now turns out from the last group that Jay made available on his website.
Fast forward to the Fall of 2018. A friend of mine picked up a nice unmodded LOTR. As I was looking his LOTR over with him I told him about Jay’s Palantir mod, which he was then interested in getting. As we then discovered Jay had apparently quit making the mod, having not made any more available for sale since the batch I bought mine from in late 2017. I told him that I would look and see what I could find figure out. Shortly thereafter Jay’s website was removed, leaving even further doubt about future availability.
So since the Christmas holidays I've been working off and on in recreating this mod for my friend, using my Palantir and the info posted here on Pinside as a basis. Once I figured out that I was able to make a good working test version, I ordered some more spheres. This past weekend I was able to fully finish them up, I have 6 of them made, 5 of which are available for sale.
They are made out of extremely durable 50mm K9 Crystal spheres. K9 is a Optical Borosilicate Crown Crystal (Optically Clear) with low inclusions and imperfections ideal for use in lenses and prisms, optics and decorative crystal lighting. It has good physical properties and can be polished similar to lead crystal, weighing approximately 15 percent less than full leaded crystal having a lead content of only 10 percent. It is also rather durable, as I advertently found out by dropping one from my 3 foot high counter onto the concrete garage floor. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not shatter, leaving just the slightest of marks on the surface. The spheres are mounted on PinballLife LOTR Palantir Brackets. Comet LEDs are used for the lighting source, with diode rectification to prevent ghosting, and Molex connectors to plug into the factory wiring harness.
Installation is extremely straightforward, and I will include illustrated instructions as well as attach a PDF here. The mod is also fully reversible if you ever decide to return your LOTR to factory stock condition.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well done.

#26 5 years ago

I got one of Jay's last runs as well. Very glad to see this mod get picked up as it's really one of the best mods for LOTR out there. Great work!

#27 5 years ago

Looks really cool. I'll be glad to take the 15th spot on the waitlist.

#28 5 years ago

how much you asking?

#29 5 years ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

how much you asking?

Sorry about that, the Pinside listing got archived. $190 shipped CONUS.

#31 5 years ago

Can I too be added to the list?

#32 5 years ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW
17) hollywood

#33 5 years ago

I would like to be added to the list, please. Really look forward to this mod.

EDIT: Just saw that you said to do this:

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW
17) hollywood
18) ktownhero

#34 5 years ago

I'd be down for one. Just picked up a LotR on Saturday.

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW
17) hollywood
18) ktownhero
19) oderus

#35 5 years ago

add me too then!

#36 5 years ago

Wow.....double wow!! Unbelievable response!! Ok, I think at this time I'd like to cap this list at 20 at this time.

The initial 5 shipped this morning, they should arrive Saturday/Monday. Looking forward to hearing impressions of them once they arrive.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll be making 10 in the next run, which once I receive all the parts should take 4-6 weeks to make. It takes quite a bit of time to make these due to adhesive curing times at various stages, plus I have a regular daytime job and family that also need my time. I'm shooting for early May time frame.

The other thing that worries me long term besides lead time is the availability of parts, in particular the metal mounting bracket. I've got the 10 on order with PinballLife, and will be checking with Terry/Margaret to check longer term availability once they fill the existing order. I may have to think about a trade in program of existing brackets if availability becomes as problem. As for the spheres I think availability is not an issue, however shipping time from suppliers in the far east is a definite slow down as well. My hope & plan is that everyone on the list as of now will be able to get one, if parts availability doesn't become an issue.

Once I've got the next run completed I'll post in this thread and contact y'all in order of the list, giving you 48 hours to purchase before it moves further down the list.

Thanks again y'all.....hope to see some of you at TPF!

-------

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW
17) hollywood
18) ktownhero
19) oderus
20) ccbigsoo7

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Wow.....double wow!! Unbelievable response!!

Capitalism at it's finest!

#38 5 years ago

add me to the list

#39 5 years ago

My LOTR is pimped to the max, including a gold "member" and even an original Mr T starter kit. Only thing missing was this! Fabulous!

#40 5 years ago

For those that are not aware of it, the ModFather sword is also very sweet!

https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/lord-of-the-rings/products/lotr-interactive-sword-mod

#41 5 years ago

Add me if there ends up being another list!!

#42 5 years ago

Wish I'd seen this earlier. I'll definitely buy one if you make it that far down the list! Thanks!

#43 5 years ago

Hi , can you add me if you do another list please ....

#44 5 years ago

If you make another run put me on the list I would buy one for sure.

#45 5 years ago

Update: I have all the parts on hand now for the first 10 on the waiting list, with more parts on the way for 10 more. I have started the wiring and assembly of the first 10. My hope is to have the first 10 completed by end of April, if not before then. As for availability after these 20, we'll have to see......

However, first things first, sitting here in Frisco TX ready to attend my first TPF! I’ll be in the Wizards tournament contributing to someone else’s winnings and will also be at the meet & greet at the Wild Pitch!! See y’all there!!!

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

However, first things first, sitting here in Frisco TX ready to attend my first TPF!

I've heard nothing but great things about this event, it's on my bucket list but March is always a busy time for me

#47 5 years ago

Please add me to the list for this mod. I will definitely buy one.

#48 5 years ago

Also interested if you can add me to the list - thx!

#49 5 years ago

I would like one please, please add me to the list.

Cheers
Trevor

#50 5 years ago

Add me as well.
TY

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 7.50
9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
$ 39.50
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/palantir-eye-of-sauron-crystal-sphere-mod-for-stern-lotr?hl=fastfred and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.