Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by mcandrew
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LOTR Palantir Installation.pdf (PDF preview)
l (resized).jpg
6 Mod (resized).jpg

#1 5 days ago

I’ve just made a Palantir Eye of Sauron Crystal Sphere mod available for sale here on Pinside. The ad can be found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/76489 (1st run SOLD OUT!! See thread below for waiting list)

As a background, back in the Summer of 2017 I picked up a LOTR for my collection. Unshopped and unmodded, over time I was able to bring it up to its present condition, fully modded and playing 100% perfect. In the Fall of 2017 I was lucky enough to pick up one of Jay’s Palantir mods, as it now turns out from the last group that Jay made available on his website.

Fast forward to the Fall of 2018. A friend of mine picked up a nice unmodded LOTR. As I was looking his LOTR over with him I told him about Jay’s Palantir mod, which he was then interested in getting. As we then discovered Jay had apparently quit making the mod, having not made any more available for sale since the batch I bought mine from in late 2017. I told him that I would look and see what I could find figure out. Shortly thereafter Jay’s website was removed, leaving even further doubt about future availability.

So since the Christmas holidays I've been working off and on in recreating this mod for my friend, using my Palantir and the info posted here on Pinside as a basis. Once I figured out that I was able to make a good working test version, I ordered some more spheres. This past weekend I was able to fully finish them up, I have 6 of them made, 5 of which are available for sale.

They are made out of extremely durable 50mm K9 Crystal spheres. K9 is a Optical Borosilicate Crown Crystal (Optically Clear) with low inclusions and imperfections ideal for use in lenses and prisms, optics and decorative crystal lighting. It has good physical properties and can be polished similar to lead crystal, weighing approximately 15 percent less than full leaded crystal having a lead content of only 10 percent. It is also rather durable, as I advertently found out by dropping one from my 3 foot high counter onto the concrete garage floor. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not shatter, leaving just the slightest of marks on the surface. The spheres are mounted on PinballLife LOTR Palantir Brackets. Comet LEDs are used for the lighting source, with diode rectification to prevent ghosting, and Molex connectors to plug into the factory wiring harness.

Installation is extremely straightforward, and I will include illustrated instructions as well as attach a PDF here. The mod is also fully reversible if you ever decide to return your LOTR to factory stock condition.
l (resized).jpg6 Mod (resized).jpgLOTR Palantir Installation.pdf

#2 5 days ago

In for one! PM sent.

#3 5 days ago

Man I have been searching for one. A little above my pay scale though. Nice to see it being revived

#4 5 days ago

I have been looking for one as well, PM sent!

#5 5 days ago

Jay’s mod was the best addition to LOTR so massive kudos to you for undertaking this and making them again. Cheers!

#6 5 days ago

So glad this mod came available like this. PM sent.

#7 5 days ago

Finally, I'm in!

#8 5 days ago

Update: 4 have sold, one is pending payment. Looks like there is demand to make some more, so I've set those wheels in motion ordering more parts. I already have a few who indicated they wanted to be on a waiting list, so I will start one once I receive the payment for the 5th mod.

More info to come later.......Thanks!!

#9 5 days ago

Wow, what a response! All 5 have been sold with payment received in just over 4 hours!! Looks like I need to make more!

As promised, I will start a waiting list here in this thread. I'll be making 10 in the next run, which once I receive all the parts should take 4-6 weeks to make. If you are interested please copy the list into your post, adding yourself to the bottom. I've made the list a little longer in case someone has to back out. Once I've got the next run completed I'll post in this thread and contact y'all in order....

Price will stay at $190 shipped CONUS, other US territories and Canada will be slightly higher due to higher shipping cost.

Thanks again for the fantastic response and I hope the mods meet your expectations! Please let me know if you run into any issues. Also note that the installation instructions can be found as an PDF attachment in the first post of this thread.

NOTE: NO MORE ADDITIONS TO THE WAITING LIST AT THIS TIME, please see post #36 below!

#10 5 days ago

Me too

#11 5 days ago

Please add me to the list.

#12 5 days ago

My game came with one of these on it. It is a very cool feature. Great news that owners can get one too!

#13 5 days ago

Awesome, can finally get one.. please include me on your list and let me know when ready so I can pay... thank you for doing this!!

#14 5 days ago

Yup
I have a client that needs one of these

#15 5 days ago

I am in for one please. Lmk
Fred

#16 5 days ago

Definitely in for one on the next available batch! Please add me

#17 5 days ago

I’m in ...

Waiting List for next run of 10 Palantir Mods:
1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

#18 5 days ago

I'm in for one, add me to the list please.

#19 5 days ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12)
13)
14)
15)

#20 5 days ago

I'm in! Add me to the list please!

#21 5 days ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13)
14)
15)

#22 5 days ago

Count me in!

#23 5 days ago

Please put me on the list.

#24 5 days ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15)

#25 4 days ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I’ve just made a Palantir Eye of Sauron Crystal Sphere mod available for sale here on Pinside. The ad can be found here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/76489 (1st run SOLD OUT!! See thread below for waiting list)
As a background, back in the Summer of 2017 I picked up a LOTR for my collection. Unshopped and unmodded, over time I was able to bring it up to its present condition, fully modded and playing 100% perfect. In the Fall of 2017 I was lucky enough to pick up one of Jay’s Palantir mods, as it now turns out from the last group that Jay made available on his website.
Fast forward to the Fall of 2018. A friend of mine picked up a nice unmodded LOTR. As I was looking his LOTR over with him I told him about Jay’s Palantir mod, which he was then interested in getting. As we then discovered Jay had apparently quit making the mod, having not made any more available for sale since the batch I bought mine from in late 2017. I told him that I would look and see what I could find figure out. Shortly thereafter Jay’s website was removed, leaving even further doubt about future availability.
So since the Christmas holidays I've been working off and on in recreating this mod for my friend, using my Palantir and the info posted here on Pinside as a basis. Once I figured out that I was able to make a good working test version, I ordered some more spheres. This past weekend I was able to fully finish them up, I have 6 of them made, 5 of which are available for sale.
They are made out of extremely durable 50mm K9 Crystal spheres. K9 is a Optical Borosilicate Crown Crystal (Optically Clear) with low inclusions and imperfections ideal for use in lenses and prisms, optics and decorative crystal lighting. It has good physical properties and can be polished similar to lead crystal, weighing approximately 15 percent less than full leaded crystal having a lead content of only 10 percent. It is also rather durable, as I advertently found out by dropping one from my 3 foot high counter onto the concrete garage floor. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not shatter, leaving just the slightest of marks on the surface. The spheres are mounted on PinballLife LOTR Palantir Brackets. Comet LEDs are used for the lighting source, with diode rectification to prevent ghosting, and Molex connectors to plug into the factory wiring harness.
Installation is extremely straightforward, and I will include illustrated instructions as well as attach a PDF here. The mod is also fully reversible if you ever decide to return your LOTR to factory stock condition.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well done.

#26 4 days ago

I got one of Jay's last runs as well. Very glad to see this mod get picked up as it's really one of the best mods for LOTR out there. Great work!

#27 4 days ago

Looks really cool. I'll be glad to take the 15th spot on the waitlist.

#28 4 days ago

how much you asking?

#29 4 days ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW

#30 4 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

how much you asking?

Sorry about that, the Pinside listing got archived. $190 shipped CONUS.

#31 4 days ago

Can I too be added to the list?

#32 4 days ago

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW
17) hollywood

#33 4 days ago

I would like to be added to the list, please. Really look forward to this mod.

EDIT: Just saw that you said to do this:

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW
17) hollywood
18) ktownhero

#34 4 days ago

I'd be down for one. Just picked up a LotR on Saturday.

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW
17) hollywood
18) ktownhero
19) oderus

#35 4 days ago

add me too then!

#36 4 days ago

Wow.....double wow!! Unbelievable response!! Ok, I think at this time I'd like to cap this list at 20 at this time.

The initial 5 shipped this morning, they should arrive Saturday/Monday. Looking forward to hearing impressions of them once they arrive.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll be making 10 in the next run, which once I receive all the parts should take 4-6 weeks to make. It takes quite a bit of time to make these due to adhesive curing times at various stages, plus I have a regular daytime job and family that also need my time. I'm shooting for early May time frame.

The other thing that worries me long term besides lead time is the availability of parts, in particular the metal mounting bracket. I've got the 10 on order with PinballLife, and will be checking with Terry/Margaret to check longer term availability once they fill the existing order. I may have to think about a trade in program of existing brackets if availability becomes as problem. As for the spheres I think availability is not an issue, however shipping time from suppliers in the far east is a definite slow down as well. My hope & plan is that everyone on the list as of now will be able to get one, if parts availability doesn't become an issue.

Once I've got the next run completed I'll post in this thread and contact y'all in order of the list, giving you 48 hours to purchase before it moves further down the list.

Thanks again y'all.....hope to see some of you at TPF!

-------

1) pipes
2) FalconDriver
3) bane
4) jho159
5) fossmin
6) Wiggy76
7) Phatchit
8) Fastfred
9) Yokimato
10) fosaisu
11) Dr_Smith
12) Mistwalker
13) bladerunner
14) klubhouse
15) mordroc
16) KubaOSW
17) hollywood
18) ktownhero
19) oderus
20) ccbigsoo7

#37 4 days ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Wow.....double wow!! Unbelievable response!!

Capitalism at it's finest!

#38 4 days ago

add me to the list

#39 4 days ago

My LOTR is pimped to the max, including a gold "member" and even an original Mr T starter kit. Only thing missing was this! Fabulous!

#40 4 days ago

For those that are not aware of it, the ModFather sword is also very sweet!

https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/lord-of-the-rings/products/lotr-interactive-sword-mod

#41 3 days ago

Add me if there ends up being another list!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, MD
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 219.99
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Boards
PinSound
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ames, IA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside