(Topic ID: 65999)

Painting legs and siderails, clearcoat or not?

By nighttaco

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Painting the legs and siderails of my FT, using a primer and then a flat orange. Never have done this and I'm not sure if that is enough to hold up or if it's recommended to clearcoat as well. Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Don't paint them. Even with clear coat it won't hold up. You need to powder them. Matte orange is easy.

#3 10 years ago

Is that something I can do myself?

#4 10 years ago

I used automotive paint and cleared it afterwards and it is holding up fine. So I would say yes clear over it after you are done.

Phoebe

#5 10 years ago

Take it too a powder coater - just type powder coating and your area in google. Should cost about $50 and perfect finish

#6 10 years ago

I spray can paint legs, lock down bars, etc. and never had a problem, they do hold up just fine. Screw paying for powder coat.
Just my opinion, Bob

#7 10 years ago

I soak parts in rust remover, clean with wire brush, sand to rough up the surface, then spray a couple light coats of paint and finish with clear. Haven't had any problems really.

#8 10 years ago

I think the concern comes from wear on the lock down, or sides from hand wear.

For $$$ value, and lots of game play, powder coat is the way.
For savings, less concern of value, and very light play, you can paint.

I have done both with no issues, although a painted game showed wear when I saw it about 12 years later
after trading it.

Where possible, I prefer a wrinkle or textured paint. Hides the imperfections and the reason you are doing this.

I also tend to use CLR or Evapo rust, and decide then if the legs are good enough to save. Otherwise, brush/sand, automotive primer, paint, and clear coat if you wish.

I also like to paint my legs exterior, standard wrinkle black, but the interior, depending on game I match....red, green, aqua, silver, gold, etc. The two tone, to me, looks sweet!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Where possible, I prefer a wrinkle or textured paint.

I've used Krylon & Rustoleum hammer finishes in the past, but the color choices seem to have diminished about 1 year ago.

http://www.krylon.com/products/dual-hammered-finish/

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal/universal-hammered-spray-paint

I've never used Hammerite, but they have a few more colors.

http://www.hammerite-paint.com/

I don't use clear over the wrinkle paint, but I suppose it would lend a little more durability and probably cause a little more work when you go to do touch ups.

Robert

#10 10 years ago

Appreciate all the advice, legs on my FT were really corroded so I had to do something. I'm using the rustoleum stuff on it and see how it turns out, definitely not ready to pay for powder coating, but I do see the value in it.

#11 10 years ago

If you're talking about painting over chrome, getting the paint to adhere properly is a bigger issue than whether you apply clear or not. While the paint will look OK for a while, it will eventually chip off the glossy chrome finish. First you need to rough up the chrome with some sandpaper and then apply a self-etching primer before doing the color coats.

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthread.php?15684-How-to-paint-over-chrome

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

First you need to rough up the chrome with some sandpaper and then apply a self-etching primer before doing the color coats.

Exactly^^ before painting chrome rims used self etching primer before painting with urethane , 20 years later still adhering.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

Take it too a powder coater - just type powder coating and your area in google. Should cost about $50 and perfect finish

Wish I lived in your neighborhood, went to a local powdercoater for a quote, they told me at least $250 just for the setup charge!!

#14 10 years ago

I have done some research on the subject and powder coating is not hard to do. All you need is an oven to cure the coating. For small parts, an old kitchen oven works fine. Bigger parts require a larger oven.

Google DIY powder coating for more info and check out you tube.

Its not a hard process, but does require an investment (oven, sprayer, etc..)

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I've used Krylon & Rustoleum hammer finishes in the past, but the color choices seem to have diminished about 1 year ago.

I've used the Rustoleum hammer finish paint on legs too and they look good and have held up. If you want a permanent nice finish on an already nice machine then powdercoating is the way to go, but if you're just trying to clean up a pair of rusty old beater rails and legs then going the rust-off/spray paint route works fine. I'm sure throwing a clearcoat on top would add some durability.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Wish I lived in your neighborhood, went to a local powdercoater for a quote, they told me at least $250 just for the setup charge!!

Find a new guy to do your powder coating!!!! He's ripping you off. I had the entire metal frame from my 4 Million BC powder coated including all metal trim and he even powder coated the nuts and bolts for $100.00 total! Yes, he worked it in between production jobs and it took five weeks to get back but the price was right and the work was outstanding.

#17 10 years ago

If it's chrome legs, did you try the simple cola+aluminum foil trick?

http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=130772&highlight=cola

(it's in German but the pictures alone should suffice)

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from arpman:

I have done some research on the subject and powder coating is not hard to do. All you need is an oven to cure the coating. For small parts, an old kitchen oven works fine. Bigger parts require a larger oven.
Google DIY powder coating for more info and check out you tube.
Its not a hard process, but does require an investment (oven, sprayer, etc..)

That only works for small things. Very small. You can't do a leg or even a lockdown in a kitchen oven. It needs to hang not lay flat. You need an oven that's at least 6x6x4 to do a single game. You will also need a chemical vat, licensing for the powder removal chemical, and a large blast chamber with medium and at least a 60gallon 125 psi compressor.

That will suffice for doing one game.

PS, please don't try this in your home oven. No one wants to visit you in the hospital after eating your next casserole. Powder is toxic and gets everywhere.

#19 10 years ago

Neither way is right.

Top-of-the-line: Get it powder coated professionally

Budget: Buy some cans of spray paint

You all need to step back a bit and realize some people have the cash to spare no expense for improvements, and some people 'Pin' on a budget.

#20 10 years ago

You can buy brand new powder coated legs from Pinballife for $75

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2647

Orange, red, black, yellow... Plus he has chrome.

Or if its a nice game, I highly recommend powdercoat. I've done 2 of my machine with no regret at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 169.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/painting-legs-and-siderails-clearcoat-or-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.