(Topic ID: 95187)

Painting Coins for a Small Home Tournament?

By m00dawg

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by m00dawg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider m00dawg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

About once a quarter we host a weekend friend party of sorts where we have LAN games, board games, etc. It's a time for all of us, many of whom we've known since childhood, to get together and hang out. The house turns into quite a zoo now that many of us have kids, but it's a blast!

This was the first time having one of these where I had my STTNG (my first, and currently only, pin) setup and working well. So I offered to host a simple tournament. It turned into quite a success and I want to improve it.

For the first go around I set the machine to free play. The highest score won the pot, with the exception that I had a Grand Master for my friend who owns face at STTNG by a considerable machine. He didn't get to play in the normal tournament as he was too good. Instead, he he defended his title, he got a portion of what I was going to make a progressive pot. If someone beat him, they got the whole thing.

I want to still equal out his obscene skills for the next one. But among the things discussed were going to a bracket heads-up format or just having a limited number of tournament plays. For the latter, I was thinking of giving everyone different colored quarters. Machine is on free play, but putting your quarter in means you're going for a tournament score.

Long story short, anyone have any ideas on that? I did a bit of searching here and found some awesome suggestions (like http://scottdanesi.com/WP/?page_id=161 for tournament software), but nothing about painting quarters or even if that's a good idea

Outside of tournament play, I put the machine in quarter/play mode and keep a jar of quarters next to the game, just for fun. I never make folks pay to play but I keep the quarters around as a sort of savings account - I devote the quarters of my loose change for marginal upgrades (like LEDs and such). So I don't want to switch the mechs to tokens or anything like that.

#3 9 years ago

Aha didn't even think about that, but good idea, and there are a ton of colors! I was wanting to avoid gunking up the mechs mostly. If we do a bracket, there won't be a need. But since there's other things often happening at the same time, just doing a highest score wins but with only a set number of runs is a good compromise over just free play.

There were a lot of newb players this time who didn't know the basic rules so I'm glad we let things go. I suppose if I wanted to keep with that, but try to balance out skillsets I could add handicaps of better players having fewer plays or something.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider m00dawg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/painting-coins-for-a-small-home-tournament?tu=m00dawg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.