Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

96B9E444-223F-4D34-B4F6-8B22EF3CEB95 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
A754D64D-CED7-480A-9D96-8740B31BF396 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

So my basement is generally dry. The concrete floor was painted by the previous owner, but the paint is peeling/chipping off. They had water come in from bad gutters, so they painted it to hide that I think (we since fixed the gutters). I've also had an instance where water was on the floor because the sump pump went bad, so I think that was a contributing factor as well to the paint peeling. I do have a floor drain that the furnace/water heater hoses drain to as well as a hose from the dehumidifier, so that area used to get wet if the hoses got bumped away from the drain. So barring something going wrong from inside the house, the basement is dry and water free.

I'm looking to use that part of the basement for an arcade/hangout space and am looking for advice on flooring. I have a limited budget. The shaped and walking space is limited minimal and in an L shape. One section of the L is 6 ft. By 10 ft (which contains the area where people will be entering/leaving and mostly using) and the other section is 3 ft by 10 ft (and that area will have much less traffic, and probably chairs or something for sitting).

I don't want to do carpet, only because if the basement does flood, but I do like the idea of rugs or something (maybe blacklight carpet/rugs). I need to paint it though, because your feet just get dirty and stuff from the chipped/peeling paint. Anyone have any experience or good advice for painting the floor? I was thinking maybe paint it dark gray and then fleck some cheap neon uv/blacklight paint on it and put a clear coat on top of that. My goal is to transform it, as best I can on a shoestring budget , to make it feel like you are in a bowling alley or a lounge or something and not a basement...

Thoughts?

#2 1 year ago

Highly recommend you look into an epoxy. Lasts way longer than paint, seals the concrete and looks good. May be out of your budget, but I’d find out. Possible to DIY for less

#3 1 year ago

Larger multi color carpet squares just laid down without adhesive may be an option vs rugs, menards usually has them for a decent price.

#4 1 year ago

I just did the diy rust oleum"rock solid" expoxy system in my garage . They have a lot of options, including some with metallic and swirly effects. And/or you can use decorative chips to give it even more interest (there's websites that specialize in offering hundreds of different chips). Not quite arcade carpet but closer than painting it a solid color and way more durable.

It is not trivial to get a good result though, so if you don't want to do a lot of research or not a confident DiYer, pay someone.

#5 1 year ago

You can sometimes get the Rustoleum epoxy stuff real cheap. I had my garage done a few years ago. Prep work is key. The only issues I've had are a bleach container leaking that I didn't notice right away. It ate through the epoxy. Also along the edge I've had a piece of concrete chip, but that's really more a problem with the floor and not the coating. It's hard to beat for ~$100 to do a 2 car garage, but it sounds like you may have a lot of prep work to do it right.

#6 1 year ago

I agree with previous post. Prep work will be key. I would have recommended concrete stain but I doubt it would work given the floor condition. My basement was done 25 years ago with VCT ( vinyl clad tile ) like you see in schools, supermarkets etc. it’s held up well but to do over again I would have had the epoxy done by a professional. Zach Meny (pinball network) had issues when a professional attempted to do it at his home. Paint is ok. Given size and limiting cost it might be the only solution. Time to start removing the old paint and prep the floor. Post some pics. Throw rugs are also a cheap and easy solution. Cover it up and it’s gone.

#7 1 year ago

Grind and polish. I’ve done many commercial units that way. Usually it’s about $4/ft, or up to $6/ft if removing tile and glue. Paint will just get the grind treatment. Find a concrete guy that specializes in this. The floor will look amazing for the arcade. No need to add color or epoxy or a higher cost finish.

#8 1 year ago

Epoxy looks great and I enjoyed working on it at many of the fancy tech company campuses I worked at. It was excellent when doing commercial work and beating the hell out of them. They hold up great

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Grind and polish. I’ve done many commercial units that way. Usually it’s about $4/ft, or up to $6/ft if removing tile and glue. Paint will just get the grind treatment. Find a concrete guy that specializes in this. The floor will look amazing for the arcade. No need to add color or epoxy or a higher cost finish.

This is actually a fantastic idea, and probably not terribly expensive (not sure your sq footage). It will also prep the floor for the epoxy if you choose to do that later on

#10 1 year ago

I got a huge remnant from a local carpet company for $110 that covered half my basement, had it down there for probably 15 years.

I've been painting it ever since, what a pain in the ass. I vote for carpet tiles, they muffle sound, more comfortable.......just a warmer feel overall.

#11 1 year ago

+1 for the Rustoleum epoxy stuff with the vinyl bits.

#12 1 year ago

We put down an oil based kills (or equivalent) to seal in some asbestos adhesive on ours. Then you can epoxy, paint or tile if you want. You dont have to use a primer for the epoxy system but if you have peeling paint underneath you need to remove it before anything else. Dont use latex based paint if you go the paint route. Carpet tiles as others have mentioned can work well if the floor is flat. You dont even have to glue them down in some cases. Or there is peel and stick vinyl flooring. We are thinking penny tile and making a video game mosaic, but then we are a but crazy. Good luck whatever you do!

#13 1 year ago

How is epoxy for sound absorption compared to bare concrete? I keep putting down cheap carpet in my flood prone pinball room. Mainly because it absorbs so much sound. May want to go a different route next time.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

How is epoxy for sound absorption compared to bare concrete? I keep putting down cheap carpet in my flood prone pinball room. Mainly because it absorbs so much sound. May want to go a different route next time.

It wont do anything for sound absorption unfortunately.

#15 1 year ago

No experience with basements being in TX but all I hear from those with them is ALWAYS having to deal with moisture in basements…I would NEVER even consider carpet in a basement…they trap dirt that you can never get out and are mold sponges…if you have continuous moisture issues.

Depending on the condition of floor and prep needed I would just paint or epoxy the floor. Put down rugs where needed. Rugs can be gotten for cheap and cleaned/replaced easily as needed. This is a Budget solution if you can DIY.

It can get expensive depending on the prep and size of the area to hire a professional to do it. But they can advise of the best options and do it right…prep is the key as others have said.

#16 1 year ago

No basements in Texas? What's up with that? Though that was more of a high water level thing, like FL.

My room is ground floor, we just happen to get some high quality floods. Just ordered some dock floats in case we have to go to plan B again. Last time we raised a bunch of pins onto bar stools and other furniture. Surprise flood and we ran out of time to move them up.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

No basements in Texas? What's up with that? Though that was more of a high water level thing, like FL.
My room is ground floor, we just happen to get some high quality floods. Just ordered some dock floats in case we have to go to plan B again. Last time we raised a bunch of pins onto bar stools and other furniture. Surprise flood and we ran out of time to move them up.

It has more to do with water table/ soil conditions….not common around here at least in my part of TX. It’s not that they can’t be done but they are not a good idea. If it was more practical they would build more homes with them. It’s a cheaper way to get more home with less land…jealous of areas/homes that have them.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Floods suck…and unfortunately over the last 7 years or so the Houston area has had crazy weather and even areas that have never flooded have. Many areas have seen the same thing…only so much you can do against Mother Nature sometimes.

#19 1 year ago

We just did both the garage and the basement in the house we're remodeling in epoxy, and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

#20 1 year ago

Another vote here for epoxy floors in a basement. I don’t have a very large basement and opted to go with the partially finished / painted ceiling look. The epoxy floor is one of the Rustoleum kits with the optional clear coat. I ended up going with the epoxy option as was on a set budget for the project and also have concerns about water / moisture in my area. I still run a dehumidifier in the basement 24/7 and have WiFi water sensors setup at two floor drains just incase.

The steps were to acid etch the floor, fill in any cracks (another kit), apply the epoxy (brushed around wall edges, then used paint roller) while at the same time applying the decorative chips (just sprinkle them onto the floor) and then once dried apply the clear coat (anti slip) using a paint roller. It’s held up fairly well for nearly 8 years. It can chip (dropping heavy items, tools for example) but it’s easy to touch up.

A754D64D-CED7-480A-9D96-8740B31BF396 (resized).jpegA754D64D-CED7-480A-9D96-8740B31BF396 (resized).jpeg

#21 1 year ago

I know you mentioned paint, but have you thought about vinyl planking? It's all vinyl, doesn't have any of the fiber board as a base, so water is not an issue if it gets wet. Sounds like your area isn't large, so it shouldn't cost much and might be more long term than paint.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Regardless of what you use, it might be worthwhile to look into a penetrating sealer (i.e. RadonSeal, etc.)

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I know you mentioned paint, but have you thought about vinyl planking? It's all vinyl, doesn't have any of the fiber board as a base, so water is not an issue if it gets wet. Sounds like your area isn't large, so it shouldn't cost much and might be more long term than paint.
[quoted image]
Regardless of what you use, it might be worthwhile to look into a penetrating sealer (i.e. RadonSeal, etc.)

We did this in part of the basement, and one thing I HIGHLY recommend is the sealer - Drylok or RadonSeal. And a very good moisture barrier. You can use black 6mil plastic which is way cheaper than the named "moisture barrier" products. The vinyl plank looks really good, and is a super easy install. What it doesn't do, however, is make the room any warmer, or make your floor any softer to walk on, like a carpet would. May or may not make a difference to you.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What it doesn't do, however, is make the room any warmer, or make your floor any softer to walk on, like a carpet would. May or may not make a difference to you.

I wear socks in the house and I can't say my feet have ever been cold in the basement. But what I do notice is in the spring (when it's not really cold outside), the basement can get a bit chilly. Upstairs we have 6" walls, spray foam for an air barrier, and then bat insulation - that means the furnace doesn't run often. But the below ground temps are still a little cold. I just toss on a cheapie parka if I'm in the basement. I could turn on the house fan to stir the basement air up some, just don't think about it much.

Sorry for a slight thread derail.

#24 1 year ago

I am a tile guy so when we added on too the house we did in floor water heat with tile in the basement if anyone is doing a new basement it's the way too go and cheap too keep warm and nice on the feet

#25 1 year ago

+1 for epoxy floor. We had our painter friend epoxy the floor and spray the walls, posts, and beams white. BIG difference.

96B9E444-223F-4D34-B4F6-8B22EF3CEB95 (resized).jpeg96B9E444-223F-4D34-B4F6-8B22EF3CEB95 (resized).jpeg
#26 1 year ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

+1 for epoxy floor. We had our painter friend epoxy the floor and spray the walls, posts, and beams white. BIG difference.
[quoted image]

Yea looks great makes a difference

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

I am a tile guy so when we added on too the house we did in floor water heat with tile in the basement if anyone is doing a new basement it's the way too go and cheap too keep warm and nice on the feet

Another sidebar to floor sealing...I saw a video recently where some company had a floor heating product, but it was air based via large PVC, not a fluid. Rather interesting since the possible issues related to a fluid goes away. It was on a slab, not a basement floor tho.

#28 1 year ago

I used the Rustoleum epoxy in our last home. It lasted 15 years with minimal wear from pin movement that was easily repaired with a little of the epoxy paint and a few flakes.

We recently moved to a 110 year old house. I put cheap carpet in. Three months later the power went out and the carpet ruined. This fall, I’ll epoxy the floor - lessen learned.

I really liked the sound absorption of the carpet. But, I never want to cut and remove wet carpet again.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Another sidebar to floor sealing...I saw a video recently where some company had a floor heating product, but it was air based via large PVC, not a fluid. Rather interesting since the possible issues related to a fluid goes away. It was on a slab, not a basement floor tho.

Wow hey I am not sure about putting the air unit into the floor but I guess you can get too it from the top side if it goes down or not working sweet

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/painting-basement-concrete-floor-s?hl=spyroftw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.