(Topic ID: 53237)

Paintin' Sparky to be more like the Dirty Donny drawing!

By Rarehero

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
Sparky.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Here's my work-in-progress Sparky detail paint. Honestly I might just stop while I'm ahead...any other subtle details might not even be noticeable when he's at the back of the playfield.
-Tallica Sux on his shirt.
-White on his pupils so it's the "U" shape of Donny's pupils
-Bloodshot eyes (I went a bit too thick on the veins, but I think it will look fine from the players POV...if I had to do it again I'd probably just use a fine red pen)
-Yellowed up the teeth (subtle)
-I was going to paint purple under his eyes...but it looked weird. When I cleaned it off, it left some purpple in the crease under his eye. Subtle but looks cool.

Sparky.JPGSparky.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Needs some shading. I know thats a foreign concept at your work lol. Looks good!

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Needs some shading. I know thats a foreign concept at your work lol. Looks good!

I know how shading works on a drawing....but what type of "shading" would you do on a toy? There is going to be lots of natural shadow from the game's GI and flashers.

Edit: You can't write "shadow" without it being capitalized and hyperlinked!? LOL

#4 10 years ago

lol I would use toners on his hands around veins for sure. I would make him green as well. His tongue full of lesions etc. The plastic looks to uniform if that makes sense. Scuff him up so to speak.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

lol I would use toners on his hands around veins for sure. I would make him green as well. His tongue full of lesions etc. The plastic looks to uniform if that makes sense. Scuff him up so to speak.

I'll let someone else do that first ...he's a cartoony guy in a cartoony game...not sure all that realistic gross-type detail would work for me personally. I debated green, but Donny does human-colored weirdos as well...the green guys tend to be monsters. Sparky's not a monster, he's just a douchebag.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sparky's not a monster, he's just a douchebag.

LOL!!! Man wish you could do mine I have 0 artistic ability can't draw a straight line with a ruler!

#7 10 years ago

Nice, looking good. I hear you on leaving him mostly "flat" I think the only things I'd be tempted to mess with are the parts that already have a natural texture. So maybe a darker pink wash on the tongue that would settle into the pits, and maybe lightly color up the veins on his hands a little. But it looks good as is, that's just my personal take.

Coming by to see him in person is still on my list!

#8 10 years ago

Lookin' good, sir!

#9 10 years ago

Nice job, Greg.

#10 10 years ago

Hehehe

image.jpgimage.jpg

#11 10 years ago

Here's some shading for yo aaaassssss

http://vimeo.com/18027996

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Look at that subtle colouring. The tasteful thickness. Oh my God. It even has a watermark.

#13 10 years ago

looks great Greg!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

» Vimeo video

Awesome.

1 week later
#15 10 years ago

Nice!

#16 10 years ago

Good job man! Planning to do this also.

#17 10 years ago

I like it. Yellowing of the teeth kind of creeps me out cause it is too close to home but it it works. Maybe consider painting the fingernails black.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 149.00
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paintin-sparky-to-be-more-like-the-dirty-donny-drawing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.