4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Stoomer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    2C8FABB7-859C-49F3-B6D0-FD789BE12B30 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stoomer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

I mostly see folks on here pimping the Mostenbockers lift-off graffiti remover available in spray bottles...but I find their other product that is lesser known has worked way better for me - especially on woodrail legs and rails - it used to be called Lift-Off Gel, but they seem to have removed the GEL word, and now just call it Paint and Varnish Remover. You can tell it's the right product by the spout opening.

It works good on stains too, hence the "varnish" I guess, which is once again very useful in woodrails.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Depends on the Paint.
    There is Latex Paint remover as well as an assortment of chemical strippers....all work different for home use, but do use gloves and a mask or outside.
    Mechanically, you can run a Palm sander through a couple of grits, vacuum up, and see that many dings and dents have come out as well.
    You could also use a heat gun and a plastic scraper...Mask, with this.
    Stain and seal, or use an all in one product.
    Your stain can be whatever you wish from original on.
    Your sealant choice might be a dozen different, from Wax, Polyacrylic Satin, (waterbased) to Oils or Urethane.

One of the reasons I tried the Mostenbockers I linked to was because it's got no dangerous chemicals...I use it inside - there is no dangerous vapors and it cleans up with water. Most paint strippers are very dangerous. Read the label of whatever you use!!

Quoted from Oldgoat:

My recommendation for a realistic patina is to stay away from stains, even good aniline ones. Ideally, use a 2lb cut of amber shellac; however, you can buy a premixed shellac, like Zinsser at most big box home improvement stores. You can build up coats to get the "warmth" you like. Then topcoat with something like General Finishes water-based high performance water-based topcoat. Looks white but dries clear, which is why you want the color to be exactly like you want it

The Zinsser Amber Shellac is exactly what I use when I refinish wood rails and legs...but most of the time you can get away with the "laquer reflow" technique - obviously not this time for the OP - just adding that detail to show that most of the time re-finishing them isn't needed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stoomer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/painted-wood-legs?tu=Stoomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.