(Topic ID: 316686)

Painted over original cabinet paint

By popperette

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3203 (resized).JPG
    20191025_174923 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0218 (resized).jpg
    DSC01435 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0284 (resized).JPG
    71JZbQ6KmwL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Just picked up a Cow Poke that’s been sitting in a basement for forty plus years. The machine looks nice but the previous owner painted over the original cabinet. I’m not sure if it was latex or oil. My question is has anyone had any luck removing paint without destroying the original cabinet artwork? If so, what did you use?

I would guess that I would have to strip the cabinet down, buy stencils, and repaint it.

#2 1 year ago

This works , but test in a small area first.

71JZbQ6KmwL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg71JZbQ6KmwL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    #3 1 year ago

You can buy a latex paint tester at any home improvement store for $10-15. Citristrip and other products will remove the latex paint and shouldn’t harm the original paint.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks for the advice. All strippers today are pretty weak since Dichloromethane or Methylene chloride (same chemical) have been banned from strippers.

#5 1 year ago

Oh man, talk about a wrong way to do things. I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with your project.

#6 1 year ago

I've had luck with Citristrip gel, brush on small sections at a time, leave for 5-10 minutes, remove with a plastic scraper.
    I'm guessing they were tired of looking at the bright fish

IMG_0218 (resized).jpgIMG_0218 (resized).jpg

IMG_0284 (resized).JPGIMG_0284 (resized).JPG

DSC01435 (resized).jpgDSC01435 (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago

Test first. Use some 90+% rubbing alcohol with a swap. If it removes the finish, it's latex. If not, oil based.

#8 1 year ago

That is a wild looking fish. It looks like it was repainted. If not, that stripper did a fantastic job.

Tomdrum, thanks for the tip. I have 91% alcohol at home. What kind of paint did the manufactures use?

#9 1 year ago

Factory used oil based paint with lead. Never sand without a mask.

#10 1 year ago

I don't have any good before pictures but I stripped this cabinet with Easy Off oven clean and a lot of elbow grease. Prior to that I tried I think it was citristrip but it melted the paint underneath in a test spot.
    20191025_174923 (resized).jpg20191025_174923 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3203 (resized).JPGIMG_3203 (resized).JPG

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from 20eyes:

I don't have any good before pictures but I stripped this cabinet with Easy Off oven clean and a lot of elbow grease. Prior to that I tried I think it was citristrip but it melted the paint underneath in a test spot.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

You need to come over and do our Scorpion!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-horror-pics/page/82#post-6969105

#12 1 year ago

I used Easy Off on my popcorn machines stainless steel parts. Not good for aluminum. I think the original Easy Off is sodium hydroxide. I think it was the yellow can. I know the blue can does nothing.

Interesting to use on a pinball. Turned out great.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/painted-over-original-cabinet-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.