(Topic ID: 140089)

Painted Monster Bash Figures (Now with Mummy)

By ziz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
_DSC4110_(resized).jpg
_DSC4110_(resized).jpg
_DSC4024_(resized).jpg
_DSC4042_(resized).jpg
_DSC4038_(resized).jpg
bride_(resized).jpg
bride_(resized).jpg
image.jpg
unpainted_mice.jpg
mice_and_mystics_resized.jpg
_DSC4028.jpg
FullSizeRender_1.jpg
_DSC4024.jpg
scientist.jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

This is my first attempt at painting monster bash figures. I am painting these for pinsider goldpins.

Just thought I would share and see what people thought of the painting, thanks for looking!

bride_(resized).jpgbride_(resized).jpg
_DSC4038_(resized).jpg_DSC4038_(resized).jpg
_DSC4042_(resized).jpg_DSC4042_(resized).jpg
_DSC4024_(resized).jpg_DSC4024_(resized).jpg

_DSC4110_(resized).jpg_DSC4110_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 8 years ago

Damn, that looks just about perfect. Nice Job!

#3 8 years ago

Looks awesome...cant wait to see the others.

Will you be offering to paint sets for other pinsiders if interested?

Ed

#4 8 years ago

Very nice. I think MikeD had some pretty cool painted figures also...

#5 8 years ago

Thanks a lot, glad you like it. I have too many hobbies, and these took me a long time to paint. I may be interested in painting more at some point when I have more time to dedicate to it though.

#6 8 years ago

Here is Frankenstein's Monster. I went with a fun purple outfit, he is a keyboard player after all.

_DSC4028.jpg_DSC4028.jpg

#7 8 years ago

_DSC4038.jpg_DSC4038.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Holy crap! Those are fantastic. Possibly my favorite of the MB custom paint jobs... can't wait to see the rest. Nice job.

#9 8 years ago

Great work! Looks fantastic!

#10 8 years ago

Great work! Really like those! Well done!

#11 8 years ago

Damn!! That's all I can say. My jaw is on the ground.

#12 8 years ago

I was going to bitch, why bother changing the original and everything doesn't have to be 'upgraded' on every game, hooray for originality, preserve things the way there are supposed to be etc....

Then I saw the pics and holy shit, they are great - the doctor looks 3D ! amazing... I'll shut up now - you are super talented !

#13 8 years ago

If you could show them side by side that would even further amplify how great of a job you did. Really well done

#14 8 years ago

Haha, thanks PinballSTAR. I get where you are coming from, in the end the game plays the same. I got into miniature painting through board gaming. A lot of games come with unpainted miniatures for a reason, because painting them is a big hobby within the gaming hobby. Most people are fine with never painting the figures, some people do a very simple paint job just to get paint on them, and then some put a lot of effort into making them the best they can be. I approached these figures hoping to see how good I could make them.

Once I got into pinball I immediately noticed the sad state of most of the molded pieces that come in these machines. The sculpts lack detail and the paint job they throw on these things is pathetic. So I thought it was pretty cool to be able to see what it would look like if the figures were painted with care. I am not a great miniature painter, there are immensely talented painters out there, but I think that I was able to bring out the details in the sculpt and bring more interest to the figures in the game. I hope my friend goldpins enjoys them in his machine!

#15 8 years ago

Really nice work. I'm not a fan of most Monster Bash paint jobs, people tend to be too heavy handed with the line work and glob lots of glossy enamels all over the place and then hit it with a gloss clear coat.

You're blacklinining and highlighting really nicely, lots of subtle light and tone shifts, brings out the details in a great way. Would love to see the whole set.

No surprise you're a mini painter.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks Hjbondar, here are the before and afters:

scientist.jpgscientist.jpg_DSC4024.jpg_DSC4024.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender (1).jpg_DSC4028.jpg_DSC4028.jpg

#17 8 years ago

Thanks Aurich, I really like your work on the Metallica hammer, so your feedback means a lot! This was my first time working with such large figures, felt like I was painting a house. I learned a lot in the process, hoping the subsequent figures are better. Bride of Frankenstein is next.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

Thanks Aurich, I really like your work on the Metallica hammer, so your feedback means a lot! This was my first time working with such large figures, felt like I was painting a house. I learned a lot in the process, hoping the subsequent figures are better. Bride of Frankenstein is next.

Big difference from painting a Ral Partha, or a Warhammer figure to be sure. Even though the techniques can be the same, the experience is not. Can't wait to see your Bride.

#19 8 years ago

Those do look awesome

Great work

#20 8 years ago

Detail is mind blowing......that scientist looks alive...very well done

#21 8 years ago

These are sweet, great work!!!!

#22 8 years ago

Can we see some of the gaming pieces you've done. Most of us aren't familiar.

Start a mod side business... I'll be the first one to rip figures off my game.

Again, amazing work - coming from someone who doesn't like changing things.

#23 8 years ago

These are amazing !!! Truly excellent work there ...
You should start selling your skills as a small side-business.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Can we see some of the gaming pieces you've done. Most of us aren't familiar.
Start a mod side business... I'll be the first one to rip figures off my game.
Again, amazing work - coming from someone who doesn't like changing things.

Here is a painted set of miniatures for the board game Mice and Mystics, before and after. The mice in the foreground are about the size of a quarter.

unpainted mice.jpgunpainted mice.jpg
mice and mystics resized.JPGmice and mystics resized.JPG

#25 8 years ago

Really nice job!!!

#27 8 years ago

Beautiful work! Those are going to look great on Greg's MB.
Wally

#28 8 years ago

Amazing. Love it.

#29 8 years ago

Very nice work! I was going to color my MB figures too, and even removed the Bride from the game a couple of months ago, but haven't worked up the courage to start! I'm not sure of the type of paint or markers (or paint markers!) to use. Would you mind describing the materials and process you use?

#30 8 years ago

When I first saw the pics I thought they were computer rez. Ziz that's AMAZING work!!

#31 8 years ago

I don't own MB any more but I'd buy a set of your painted figures in a heartbeat.

Awesome paint work!

Seriously, if you decide to do another set, I'm in.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

Thanks a lot, glad you like it. I have too many hobbies, and these took me a long time to paint. I may be interested in painting more at some point when I have more time to dedicate to it though.

Just charge enough money and make it worth your time. If I owned a MB I don't think I could have any other figures after seeing how nice yours look. People blow thousands of dollars on mods and you should easily be able to get $500+ if not more for a set.

#33 8 years ago

those side by sides make me even more impressed. Wish I had your talents as I don't think I can ever look at my MB the same

#35 8 years ago

Very much an artist. Great work for sure.

#36 8 years ago

Next to your amazing painting skills, those photos are very well taken ! :thumbs up:

#37 8 years ago

Wow what a nice job!!!!

Does anyone know where i can buy a complete set of figures?

thanks

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinzilla:

Very nice work! I was going to color my MB figures too, and even removed the Bride from the game a couple of months ago, but haven't worked up the courage to start! I'm not sure of the type of paint or markers (or paint markers!) to use. Would you mind describing the materials and process you use?

I use Vallejo Game Color acrylic paints. They are paints made specifically for miniature painting. The paints are thinned down with varying amounts of water, around 1-1 for the base coats and up to around 8-1 for shadows, highlights and blending. I use kalinsky sable brushes, size 4 down to 0 or even smaller for the eyes. The figures are primed with a white primer before painting. Next the figure is base coated with several coats of the main colors. Then I put in the shadows by mixing the base colors with darker colors and a lot of water to thin it down. Then I blend the shadows in with the base color, back and forth with the base and shadow colors along the edges with thin paint to try to create smooth transition lines. Then I highlight, same deal as the shadows but with several increasingly lighter coats over smaller and smaller areas so that the highlights build to the lightest areas. Again this is a back and forth process until it all looks smooth. Finally the figure is sprayed with a matte finishing spray.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinzilla:

Few more things, below is a pic of the whole setup. I use a magnifying glass with a fluorescent light on it when I paint. This allows me to see the details much better and paint the figure a lot more cleanly than would otherwise be possible. These details are not always visible when viewing the finished figure with the naked eye, but I think it gives it more of an overall clean look, and it helps a lot for close up pictures. If I wasn't painting the figures to show on photographs I could paint them much faster and the result to the naked eye would be close enough and indistinguishable inside a pinball machine. I also have two other lights, an overhead fluorescent and an incandescent desk lamp, I can use these all together or in different configurations depending on how I want to see the figure. I find that I can see where the shadows and highlights should go much better with just the incandescent, but can see the details in the paint much more clearly when I put the light on the magnifying glass on.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#40 8 years ago

Fantastic how you did this
Great craftsmanship

Any time you have time I do a set
$

#41 8 years ago

Awesomesauce, mad talent! How long does it take to paint one figure?

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Awesomesauce, mad talent! How long does it take to paint one figure?

I'd say the scientist took about 6-8 hours. That's only because I haven't really been painting very long and so I encounter new situations on each figure. That one required a cool white coat, and I haven't painted cool white like that before. So that took several attempts before I figured it out. If I did it again I would guess more like 4-6 hours.

#43 8 years ago

They look fantastic, great job!

#44 8 years ago

Nice work indeed!! Where did you get for Frankenstein Creature figure....Cannot seem to find any online at reg. shops. I need one for my restoration project.

thank you kindly
perry

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

Nice work indeed!! Where did you get for Frankenstein Creature figure....Cannot seem to find any online at reg. shops. I need one for my restoration project.
thank you kindly
perry

my mother in law looks like frankenstein ,she s fore sale! interested?

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

thank you kindly
perry

I am just painting these for a friend, so I'm not sure where they were purchased. I believe the Frank was purchased fairly recently, sorry I can't be of anymore help, will let you know if I find out.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

I am just painting these for a friend, so I'm not sure where they were purchased. I believe the Frank was purchased fairly recently, sorry I can't be of anymore help, will let you know if I find out.

can I be your friend? Just sayin

#48 8 years ago

They look incredible! Amazing work, OP!

#49 8 years ago

Ziz very nice job.

#50 8 years ago

Ziz I was wondering if you do any painting for others? I am in your area.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 75.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/painted-monster-bash-figures/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.