(Topic ID: 238452)

Paint with a brush or airbrush

By Silverstreak02

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1296 (2) (resized).JPG
    IMG_0501 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

For some background last year I completed a full restoration on a Gottleib Cross Town. I took more than a year and I'm happy with the results, but it was brutal. The time and energy involved was more than I anticipated. I love the machine. It looks and plays like brand new.

Last fall I picked up a 77 Jacks Open with the intention of keeping it as a player. I like the game, but the cupped inserts are a huge distraction. I decided to do a minor restoration by filling the inserts and clearing the playfield. That sounded great at the time, but now that I've started I want more without going overboard. I'm not able to match colors so I'm deciding between painting complete areas using a brush and a color that is close or going full bore with frisket and an airbrush. The last option is probably better, but I don't have the stomach for another project that will take over a year to complete. If I decide to go with the brush method will the brush marks stick out like a sore thumb after I clear coat? Here are a couple of pictures of the playfield. I've touched up the key lines and overfilled (bad me) the inserts.

IMG_0501 (resized).JPGIMG_0501 (resized).JPGIMG_1296 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1296 (2) (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

What did you fill the inserts with?

#3 5 years ago

2PAC
    Automotive clearcoat.

#4 5 years ago

I have done about 15 EM restorations including complete playfield repaint (with acrylic paints and brushes) and have never had an issue with brush strokes showing under the clearcoat.

Here is an example of my latest project.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #5 5 years ago

Awhile back I first tried my hand with frisket and a cheap Harbor Freight airbrush on a worn Out of Sight (now sold).
    I have performed detailed work before so wasn't afraid to try. It came out much better than I thought it would but nowhere near show quality. Tedious, time consuming work for the first time.
    Before you consider this route study and ponder. 4 coats of 2-pac seemed to blend it all in well.

#6 5 years ago

For small areas a brush will be fine. Doesnt look like it needs much

#7 5 years ago

Airbrush all day, every day. Brushes leave brush marks. Anyone who looks carefully will be able to tell the difference. Frisket and airbrush is faster and better in my not so humble opinion.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paint-with-a-brush-or-airbrush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.