9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cleo sample.png
#1 9 years ago

I am working on restoring a Cleopatra solid state machine and I am ready to touch up the playfield which has a few minor spots on it. There is one area specifically near a pop bumper that has a grove where the paint has been removed. See the photo for an example of the damaged spot.

What should I do to level the spot before painting it?

What type/brand of paints would you recommend I use to touch it up?

Thank you for any/all of your advice!

cleo sample.pngcleo sample.png
#2 9 years ago

Don't follow this advice as I have no idea what Im doing but hopefully it will spark some feedback because Im curious.

I wonder if putting a little bit of bondo on the area and screeding it with a plastic putty knife would work to get the area level. Im not sure about the type of paint but I assume you can try to match it by putting a little bit under the playfield or in an unseen area to see how it looks dry.

Do people clearcoat playfields like this after touch-up work is done or just mylar the effected area?

#3 9 years ago

I spot clear the area, paint with cheap craft paint, then clear over it again to seal the paint. By spot clearing first, if the paint doesn't match I can wipe it off with a wet rag.

#4 9 years ago

Do you mind sharing what type of clear you use to spot clear?

thanks

#5 9 years ago

Personnally, I sand the spot with sand paper 1000. then put hole filler for wood, sand it again the day after (when dry) to have the good level. then I use Createx opaque colors that I mix to obtain the right nuance. paint brush, or preferably airbrush, 4 to 6 layers of very liquid colour spray. when dry, I varnish with polyurethane acrylic varnish ´gloss' using a foam brush, 3 layers. Colours and varnish are acrylic to avoid nocive substances

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paint-touchup-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.