IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0860.jpg
IMG_0857.jpg
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0853.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hello!
This is my first post in prep for getting my first pin. I'm picking up a Gottlieb Deadly Weapon in good working order later this week. The rubber rings need to be replaced and the playfield needs some TLC. My main questions are:
-should I repaint the playfield or just clean and wax it?
-if I do repaint it, should I use water based acrylics or something else?
-if I do repaint it, can I just mill wax over it or would I need to clear coat it?
-if I do clear coat, what should I use?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

#2 11 years ago

How bad is the wear?
Don't use mill wax.. Ever.
Use water based acrylics.
clear will preserve the touch ups, otherwise they'll just wear away again.

Welcome to pinside.

#3 11 years ago

A picture of the playfield would help answer your question, but in general there's nothing worse than a bad touch-up job on a playfield or cabinet. So unless you can match the paint color and make it look like original just leave the playfield alone. Personally I prefer enamel hobby paint. It is glossier, flows better and provides a harder finish. I second the Millwax and clear coat comments.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

A picture of the playfield would help answer your question, but in general there's nothing worse than a bad touch-up job on a playfield or cabinet. So unless you can match the paint color and make it look like original just leave the playfield alone. Personally I prefer enamel hobby paint. It is glossier and provides a harder finish. I second the Millwax and clear coat comments.

yes use enamel. Do your best, anything is better then just bare wood on the PF. I'am having a hardtime matching the gray on the streets on High Speed. Anyone have an exact color match or mix? Also dont use Acrylic enamels they just get erased when you wax (learned this the hard way), enamels mean you dont have to clearcoat. It makes sense for a small area.

#5 11 years ago

i'll post pics once i get it (hopefully sunday). heard mixed reviews about mill wax so i'm not surprised on the advice against it. would it be best to just clean it (heard magic erasers are good for this) and wax it? i'm a little leery about clear coating just because i'm not sure i'm up to removing the entire playfield and it is my first pin. would it be alright to wax it at first and then clear coat later? if so, would i need to remove the wax before clear coating?

thanks again for the advice!

#6 11 years ago

Careful with the magic erasers. Too long and you'll be down to bare wood in no time. Just clean it with novus 2 and then use a good carnauba wax. No need to break out the MEs unless you have some serious issues or really bad ball swirls. Yes, you'd have to take the wax off to clear coat it but it's very easy using naphtha.

#7 11 years ago

He has a Gottlieb. That means it currently does not have a clearcoat. Laquer I suppose. Should he not be careful mixing laquer with enamel? Are they compatible?

Hope someone that knows for sure chimes in

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

He has a Gottlieb. That means it currently does not have a clearcoat. Laquer I suppose. Should he not be careful mixing laquer with enamel? Are they compatible?
Hope someone that knows for sure chimes in

Early Premier's did have something a bit weaker than WMS/Bally/DE for clearing....Don't know if it was lacquer or not.

#9 11 years ago

Ok. So here are the pictures I promised. Playfield is rough. The larger areas of chipping on the one picture are what I was thinking about possibly touching up with some paint, but I could go without doing that if it would be too difficult. Should be getting a new set of rubber rings in the mail in the next couple days. So the big questions:
-should I bother trying to repaint the areas? If so, what how should I go about it?
-what should I do to prevent any further paint chipping?
-what if anything can I do to get rid of the swirling?
-should I get some Novus 1 and 2 (and 3?)? Also, is Novus only for plastics or can it be used on the playfield too?
-is the turtle wax I added a pic of the right kind to use for waxing it?
-any other tips?
Thanks again for all the input!

IMG_0853.jpgIMG_0853.jpg IMG_0854.JPGIMG_0854.JPG IMG_0861.JPGIMG_0861.JPG IMG_0857.jpgIMG_0857.jpg IMG_0860.jpgIMG_0860.jpg IMG_0864.JPGIMG_0864.JPG

#10 11 years ago

While magic erasers are abrasive (although less so that 0000 steel wool) you'd have to work pretty hard to get down to the wood. Used judiciously they are great for removing ball tracks and will not damage the playfield. The advantage they have is the small fibers of the Melamine will get down into microscopic cracks and remove dirt. This either works very quickly and easily or it won't work, so there's no reason to get carried away and start removing paint.

Clean the playfield thoroughly with a citrus based cleaner, which will also remove old wax. Spray a little citrus cleaner on the magic eraser and rub lightly for a few seconds. I just did some ball tracks on a Baywatch from the shark flipper to the drop hole (maybe 2" by 18") and only had to do about three passes (maybe 3 seconds total) to clean up the area.

#11 11 years ago

Shameless bump.

also thought about if i could use acrylic paint and then do a thin coat of clear enamel over it? would still want to wax over it.

#12 11 years ago

Acrylic touch-up is fine, I just prefer enamel. Often you're forced into a paint choice based on trying to match a color. I would then add a few clear coats (3) of enamel as you suggested. See the following article on a Hook I touched up.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/playfield/106-playfield-touch-up-hook

#13 11 years ago

I wouldn't use that type of Turtle wax - it didn't do a thing for me

#14 11 years ago

Get a good Carnauba wax. Mothers or Meguires will work. I use KIT Carnauba wax (it comes in a yellow can) I get it for 7 bucks at O'Reilly's. Good luck, and the pin looks like a fun layout, enjoy!

#15 11 years ago

Acrylic... You can do it. Then clear it.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/touchup2

#16 11 years ago

thanks for the info. for right now, i'm planning to clean the PF (already half way done with a magic eraser, looking lots better), replace the rubbers, and wax the field. if i start having issues with the paint chipping, i'll probably go back and clear coat it. it's my first pin so i'm not sure if i'm confident enough to strip the entire playfield, paint, and clear coat it.

3 weeks later
#17 11 years ago

Finally got this up and running about a week ago and thought I'd share the pics. Decided to paint it using Testors enamels. Turned out pretty good, though some of the touch up work chipped/wipped off when I waxed it with kit wax. Still looks a lot better than it did. Plays really fast and can kick your ass if you let the ball get out of control. Hitting all the lane shots can be pretty challenging and the multiball jackpot is tough! You have to get all of the lanes in order to get it. Only gotten this once so far.

IMG_0934.JPGIMG_0934.JPG IMG_0935.jpgIMG_0935.jpg IMG_0936.jpgIMG_0936.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Wow great work. touch ups went well.
Looks like a pretty fun game!

#19 11 years ago

Yes Nice work Dommer

#20 11 years ago

If you let the Testor's enamel cure for a long time, it won't come off with wax anymore. I did a section on a Firepower playfield once, and was disappointed how easily the enamel came off. A year later when I stripped it down to touch it up and clear it the 'right' way, that enamel was very hard to remove. I don't know what the minimum cure time is to make it permanent.

Acrylic is also much harder after it has cured a long time, and if it is shiny acrylic, is good enough to touch up small blemishes. You'll just be considered a hack by anyone with some skills if you do this.
Oh well.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

yes use enamel. Do your best, anything is better then just bare wood on the PF. I'am having a hardtime matching the gray on the streets on High Speed. Anyone have an exact color match or mix? Also dont use Acrylic enamels they just get erased when you wax (learned this the hard way), enamels mean you dont have to clearcoat. It makes sense for a small area.

yep, that gray is hard to match, you can get close with your white/black mix, but it was still a shade off. I dropped in a couple drops of light yellow right at the end and got an almost perfect match (I was using testors enamels)

#22 11 years ago

The minimum cure time for enamel or acrylic is two weeks. Three to four weeks is much better.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

The minimum cure time for enamel or acrylic is two weeks. Three to four weeks is much better.

yeah, i think i let it dry for about half a day before i waxed it. it's my first pin and i was just really excited to play it!
if/when i do go back to touch it up, what should i use to remove the wax that won't mess up the paint? i've heard of people using naphtha, but that seems like it might be too strong and i'm worred it would strip the paint, both original and touch up.

#24 11 years ago

Looks 10x better...gj!

#25 11 years ago

What was the mix to get the gray color in the streets? Looks very good.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

What was the mix to get the gray color in the streets? Looks very good.

i can't remember exactly, but i think it was mostly white with a smaller amount of black and then a little bit of silver. i tried starting with a silver base and mixing in white and black at first, but it didn't really work out.

#27 11 years ago

Good work on the touch ups.

#28 11 years ago

Wow! That is some impressive work! Very cool.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

if/when i do go back to touch it up, what should i use to remove the wax that won't mess up the paint? i've heard of people using naphtha, but that seems like it might be too strong and i'm worred it would strip the paint, both original and touch up.

I prefer not to use a solvent to remove wax. Don't know there's a problem with Naptha although it is stronger than Mineral Spirits, which will specifically only remove fresh paint. Instead I use ZEP Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser (available at Home Depot) which will clean and remove old wax.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

yeah, i think i let it dry for about half a day before i waxed it. it's my first pin and i was just really excited to play it!

Naptha is actually a very useful cleaner. It isn't too powerful. It works great as a wet sanding lubricant between coats of clear, or just a general cleaner. I also use it to extend the 'wet' action of novus 2 while I am polishing a final clear coat. 90% Isopropyl is also a good solvent because it seems to solve different dirt than naptha. Maybe it's the 10% water in it? Be careful with alcohol, because I have had it soften the lacquer on some playfields. It isn't permanent, but any cloth prints or fingerprints you leave behind are. I start preparing a playfield with 90% Isopropyl and a magic eraser (lightly!). Then clean with a combination of alcohol or Naptha. If the playfield starts getting soft, I switch to Naptha, or just Novus 2. The only thing I ever use the orange cleaner on is sticky left after pulling up some mylar. If you have fresh touch ups, any solvent will quickly work on them.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

i can't remember exactly, but i think it was mostly white with a smaller amount of black and then a little bit of silver. i tried starting with a silver base and mixing in white and black at first, but it didn't really work out.

Every machine is different...usually you need to figure out how much extra yellow to add.

Nice job on the touch ups!

8 months later
#32 11 years ago

I just bought my first pinball machine. It's a 1977 Gottlieb Golden Arrow. I have to say I love this machine. It plays wonderfully but needs some work.(ie. Pop bumper sticks, needs new rubbers, play field needs to be cleaned, plastics need to be fix, needs a new ball, inserts need to be leveled and I'd like to replace the power supply) That being said, for a game that has almost 230000 plays it's in fabulous shape... My big question is should I do paint touch ups and clear coat. The damage to the play surface is minimal. Other then the chipped paint it all seems to be cracked. I also don't know if I should clear coat or not. Also is it possible to have an automotive place do the clear coat. I have been reading and everything I can, but when it comes down to it I just need some direct advice. Here are all the pictures of my play field.

pinball_013.JPGpinball_013.JPG pinball_014.JPGpinball_014.JPG pinball_009.JPGpinball_009.JPG pinball_017.JPGpinball_017.JPG pinball_010.JPGpinball_010.JPG pinball_019.JPGpinball_019.JPG

1 month later
#33 10 years ago

Part one of my paint touch up.

DSC03603.JPGDSC03603.JPG

#34 10 years ago

The paint touch up looks good!

#35 10 years ago

Well done. Nice work bro.

2 weeks later
#36 10 years ago

Hi i have just bought a golden arrow which needs the playing surface touching up what types of paints /colours have you used any help would be appreciated.

#37 10 years ago

i've used enamel model paint on two machines (deadly weapon and pinbot). the only issue i came across i some of the paint rubbing off when i waxed the playfield on deadly weapon and the wax filling in the planking/crackling of pinbot after i painted it, making it noticeable again. in both cases i still feel it was better than not painting since it adds a little more protection beyond the wax.

#38 10 years ago

Lots of good information here. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

Createx Acrylic Airbrush paint, cures with a heatgun easy to wipe off prior so you can keep doing over until you like what you see then lock it in.

9 months later
#39 10 years ago

Sorry, I'm just getting back to this now. I used a lot of different acrylic paints. I removed everything from the playfield and used glass from a picture frame and painted on that before painting onto the game to help with color matching. It was very hard and a lot of trial and error. If I had my time back I would if used enamel. After a few games the paint started to chip. . After I redid all my touch ups I let it dry for a day. I decided to clear coat by hand. I found some amazing crystal clear varathane. I started by using an eye dropper and varathane to level out all the playfield inserts that had sunken over years. It worked very well..... at first. Then clear coated, let it sit for 6 hours, sanded with 2000 grit sand paper. I repeated a few times. At some point during this process I wasn't happen with the inserts so I decided to add more varathane.... but added too much. I tried to sand it down but it was super hard not to sand down the other areas around the inserts as well. I ended up getting "Goof Off" to remove the varathane. It worked well but it also pulled up some of the paint. I had to go back over it again with more paint and varathane. I was way more impatient at this point so my color matching wasn't as precise (but honestly you can't really tell, I was being overly picky) It turned out to be a real pain. I should have just left it in the first place. The process took me about 2 weeks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paint-touch-up-on-playfield-and-mill-wax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.