(Topic ID: 136359)

Paint metal parts under playfield, What do you think?

By dkeruza

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

434431.jpg
    arizona-man.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    20150819_095247.jpg
    20150819_095237.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I was cleaning all the parts of my TZ and when I got to the solenoids, I found that some metal parts are about to get rusted or that the original plating is off.
    This is what I tried, I clean them in my Ultrasonic cleaner, rinse them, let them dry, apply a coat of primer then I spray them with this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z8DGXK/ref=twister_B00JC1WIP8
    I attached some pics. Look way better in person, pics came out kind of blurry.

I like it but I'm not 100% sure about painting. The other way would be to re plating all the parts.

What you guys think?

20150819_095237.jpg20150819_095237.jpg

20150819_095247.jpg20150819_095247.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Anything metallic like you used will transfer silver to your hands even when dry. That type of paint does not hold up well IMO.

I powder coated the brackets on my afm.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#4 8 years ago

I was actually researching on that, do you think it will be better?
    Do you know if the old plating has to be removed first?

Quoted from Skins:

Anything metallic like you used will transfer silver to your hands even when dry. That type of paint does not hold up well IMO.
    image.jpg image.jpg

I saw your pics in another thread and it looks awesome.
    I was also researching about powder coating, they sell a cheap kit at harbor freight.
    But honestly, I rather have them looking original.

#5 8 years ago

If you paint them I would use a primer called Self Etching Primer. It "eats" into the metal and seals it not just sit on the surface like regular primer. Then paint with a High Heat paint. I just did this with 3 lock bar receivers and it works great. The home powder coat kit looks like fun to try.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

If you paint them I would use a primer called Self Etching Primer. It "eats" into the metal and seals it not just sit on the surface like regular primer. Then paint with a High Heat paint. I just did this with 3 lock bar receivers and it works great. The home powder coat kit looks like fun to try.

I did use the self etching primer from rustoleum.

#7 8 years ago

wow.... you all must have a lot of time to worry about minutia.
    clear lacquer can also protect. But......I guess that's not original....

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

You are totally right, I just tried with one of the parts that I painted more that 24 hours ago and it did actually got my fingers silver.
    I think I'm going with the Home Made Zinc Plating, Powder coating seems like too much work.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from dkeruza:

I was actually researching on that, do you think it will be better?

Yes.

Silver paint is for huffers.

Quoted from dkeruza:

Do you know if the old plating has to be removed first?

You can etch off all the old zinc if you want perfectly smooth plating.

arizona-man.jpgarizona-man.jpg

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

image.jpg image.jpg

Glad that at least the standoffs got pardoned.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Silver paint is for huffers.

Looks like he was making out with Mrs. Pin-bot

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Looks like he was making out with Mrs. Pin-bot

When you are that high, you might.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Glad that at least the standoffs got pardoned.

They went black, wise guy. Good thing is you don't have to own it. Problem solved.
    434431.jpg434431.jpg

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from dkeruza:

You are totally right, I just tried with one of the parts that I painted more that 24 hours ago and it did actually got my fingers silver.
    I think I'm going with the Home Made Zinc Plating, Powder coating seems like too much work.

Caswell makes a home plating kit. Keep in mind that the materials are caustic.

#15 8 years ago

How are people disposing of the plating solution?

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chemixtry:

How are people disposing of the plating solution?

The electrolyte is just Epsom Salts and Vinegar.

If they feds break into your home for having a chemistry lab, drink the stuff and latter take a monster dump.

#17 8 years ago

It does have Zn sulfate and if you are stripping parts you are using HCl. As a chemist I have no issue using this stuff but i also understand the importance of disposing of stuff properly.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chemixtry:

It does have Zn sulfate and if you are stripping parts you are using HCl. As a chemist I have no issue using this stuff but i also understand the importance of disposing of stuff properly.

How would you dispose the Zn sulfate properly?

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from dkeruza:

How would you dispose the Zn sulfate properly?

I think people use it to fertilize pecan trees:

http://www.texaspecantrees.com/pecan_trees_zinc_requirements.html

#20 8 years ago

Damn, I don't have any pecan tree.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paint-metal-parts-under-playfield-what-do-you-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.