(Topic ID: 181697)

Paint Bleed on 3rd Varathane coat - WTF?

By Dono

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by quinntopia
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Purple_Color_Settling (resized).jpg
    12165759_10208490363240736_558100410_n (resized).jpg
    3ccbf8167565954eba30ba2acd25eacf6befa3e9 (resized).jpg
    gulfstream_PF (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dono.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

So I'm just about done with clearing this Gulfstream, one light coat - dry, repeat with 2 medium coats... these 2 medium coats were allowed to dry for a week... sanded... then put down a heavy 4th coat with the plan that this would be it... NOT... why would my createx touchups executed prior to clearcoating, basically bleed and change colors on the 4th and final coat? I've been touching PFs up for a long time and never seen this before... looks like i'm going to have to mask and paint the purple section... geez... disappointing.

I know Cliffy's had this issue with his JJ restore, any other horror stories you can share or hypotheses on why this could happen ??

gulfstream_PF (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago

Well, it's gonna be ok I think... the paint bleed/color change has basically reversed itself, and is about 75% back to normal.... will wait a few more days to apply the final topcoat. Fingers crossed that the remaining 25% bleed blends back in to its original color prior to applying the final coat. Thanks everyone who posted back - in retrospect the comments helped me to make the decision to wait a few days before making radical adjustments to the issue (like repainting the entire purple area)... that woulda sucked!!!

2 weeks later
    #13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Well, it's gonna be ok I think... the paint bleed/color change has basically reversed itself, and is about 75% back to normal.... will wait a few more days to apply the final topcoat. Fingers crossed that the remaining 25% bleed blends back in to its original color prior to applying the final coat. Thanks everyone who posted back - in retrospect the comments helped me to make the decision to wait a few days before making radical adjustments to the issue (like repainting the entire purple area)... that woulda sucked!!!

Great info if you're using createx colors for playfield touchups, from the Createx TECH TEAM (below) - in a nutshell I'll be sticking with Createx because they're so much better than other acrylics I've tried, but will start using the WICKED colors as opposed to AIRBRUSH colors...

BTW, here's an updated pic of the problematic bleed-through now that the purple is cured... definitely dodged a bullet! Now on to final topcoat and buff!

Hello Don

Thank you for contacting Createx Colors. Please excuse our delayed reply.

Which of our paint brands were you using? Createx Airbrush Colors can work, but they’ll take much longer to cure compared to our Wicked Colors and Auto Air Colors. Createx Airbrush Colors can be top-coated with a catalyzed & non-catalyzed polyurethane clear. The only issue which could have created that bleed through is that the paint was not yet cured.

Purple_Color_Settling (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 24.00
    $ 40.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 19.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    $ 64.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 29.95
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dono.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside