pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DSCN3831 (resized).JPG
DSCN3884 (resized).JPG
DSCN3928 (resized).JPG
DSCN3918 (resized).JPG
DSCN3920 (resized).JPG
DSCN3919 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyking2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Decided I wanted to pick up a third pin, so I was keeping an eye on (relatively) local listings. A 1975 Bally Hokus Pokus popped up. Seller was asking $600 but was motivated to move it, so I talked the seller down to $375. He said everything was working but it'd need new rubbers.

It was about 1.5 hrs away, so I had a friend nearby go check it out. Granted, he's no pinball expert (hell, neither am I for that matter), but I had him look everything over, cycle all the switches, etc. It had a few minor issues and damages, but overall he said it looked good and played well.

The owner met me halfway this morning to make the exchange. I glanced it over during the change, but admittedly not very thoroughly. After getting it home, going to unload, we saw all these little wood pellet things coming out of the cabinet in various locations.

Some quick research pointed directly to the frass of drywood termites. Dammit.

I called the seller back to see if he knew; he claims he only had it two weeks, and that he bought it to resell. I got the number of the guy who sold it to him, but he hasn't returned my call. I was hoping to ask if perhaps he knew and had it fumigated.

Lesson learned on not buying a machine without seeing it with my own eyes first, that's for sure. Based on pics and my friend's opinion, thought it would be good enough.

I've looked it over in much better detail, and I haven't seen a single living thing. Is it possible the termites are long gone? Or are they probably all so far in the wood that I wouldn't see any?

Also what are your recommendations? Should I go put it in my shed and bug bomb it? Will that hurt the machine?

20150807_172754.jpg20150807_172754.jpg

20150807_171642.jpg20150807_171642.jpg

20150807_172346.jpg20150807_172346.jpg

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

If there are living termites in that pin, I doubt you wouldn't notice it. As someone who has dealt with a termite infestation, no way would I bring that pin anywhere near my house.

On your first statement -- let me be sure I understand: you're saying if they're ARE living termites, I WOULD notice? If so, how? I haven't seen or heard a living thing.

On your second statement, yeah that's my next concern I need to address immediately. So how I can tell if they're in there and if I need to get this thing the hell outta here?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Push against the areas near where you see holes. You will probably find some soft spots and termites if still active. It is just not worth the risk to bring it in the house. If you don't see anything, it probably isn't actively infested.

Ok thanks for this input. I had already been pushing and prodding and tapping and whatnot and haven't found anything.

Still, you all are making me very nervous, lol. As circumstances would have it, later in the day a situation (outside of pinball) arose that is going to demand some time and finances. This machine still needs some other minor work & troubleshooting (though I already put new rubbers on the flippers, doh), so I'm not going to have time for it anyway. (My BOPP still needs some other rework too, and I'm keeping that one for now.) So perhaps I'd better just turn this thing around and re-sell it. <sigh>

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

20 years in pest control here.
Get the game inspected/treated now.
If the colony is mature they can swarm into your home.

Is there a way to ascertain if the colony still exists? I vacuumed it out as best I could so I could monitor it for new frass. Drill into a few random spots?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Man, thanks for sharing this. Because of your post, I realized I have drywood termites in a playfield I bought from Florida...

While I'm glad I helped ... I'm really not glad for either of us, since it seems we both may have gotten screwed here.

Quoted from mrgone:

You will want to drill a small hole in the areas where you see the exit holes. This is where the gallery is. Pm me for greater details. I can walk you through this.

PM sent; I'll be getting my drill ready. Just need to know recommended drill bit size! lol First sign of a live bug and this thing is getting stripped for parts. As if that weren't aggravating enough, with my medical issue that just came up, now I won't have the funds to replace it with something else. I was really liking the look of all three machines together:

20150807_225650.jpg20150807_225650.jpg

20150807_225702.jpg20150807_225702.jpg

#40 8 years ago

Ok I've spoken with an expert and showed him some detailed photographs. Based on the evidence, he believes this unit has already been fumigated. Thank goodness.

I still intend to resell it anyway though, due to my medical issue that just arose. I won't have time/resources to put into this machine.

2 weeks later
#50 8 years ago

Wow, that's pretty rough, winteriscoming. Good luck, I hope it works out in your favor!

Although I was resting comfortably (after talking to the expert) about the lack of any living termites in my machine, I ended up reselling it anyway (since the rest needed more work than I had time/resources for) ... so that's one less thing to worry about.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Did the new buyer plan to have it refumigated? Or was the evidence pretty conclusive that had already been done?

The expert I spoke with expressed that he believed it had already been fumigated based on the following evidence:
1) the coloration of the frass (almost white),
2) the fact that I thoroughly inspected the cabinets several times and never once encountered a single living thing (nor wing, carcass, etc.),
3) that I wasn't finding any new frass at the areas I'd already vacuumed / inspected.

2 years later
#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Mpellicano:

SkyKing2301 just sprayed some bottled cleaner on it, hacked a 'repair', and kicked the can down the road. ... Shameful. Even a rubber was 'shortened' with a bread tie. Nice job Skyjump. ... I would suggest that you, 'Mr. Jump', learn how to read schematics, instead of stashing them in the coin box. Your 'beloved' machine has been mechnically restored, by me, and plays like new. Those inserts you were too busy to concern yourself with? ... Oh, I especially like the black electrical tape to cover up the ink loss on the backglass. Clasy touch. If you want the bucket of grease you used on the scoring unit, I have it in my garage. Looks like Skyjump's chute failed to open one too many times.

I'm not sure why you've jumped to all these conclusions and opted to be so mean about them. Like Stoomer pointed out above (and as I'd mentioned in this very thread), I ran into a medical issue the same week I got this machine -- which required immediate invasive surgery.

My wife credits this machine with helping in my recovery, because it helped motivate me to get out of bed because I'd really wanted to work on it. That being said, I did absolutely ZERO work on this machine with the exception of the vacuuming out all the frass, and attempting to clean the cabinet as discussed in the other thread you've clearly found ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nicotine-so-gross-mean-green-ftw ). I had limited financial & physical resources (due to the surgery), the termite scenario spooked me, and I was still relatively new to the hobby at the time and not ready to take on such a project (this was my third machine, and my first two had been a batch deal). I owned the machine for less than two weeks.

As such, I don't appreciate your judgments and accusations.

I'm thrilled the machine ended up in the hands of someone willing and able to dedicate the time & effort to bring it back to its former glory. Congrats & good job on turning it back into a beautiful game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyking2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pain-in-the-frass-termites?tu=skyking2301 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.