pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DSCN3831 (resized).JPG
DSCN3884 (resized).JPG
DSCN3928 (resized).JPG
DSCN3918 (resized).JPG
DSCN3920 (resized).JPG
DSCN3919 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 8 years ago

20 years in pest control here.
Get the game inspected/treated now.

If the colony is mature they can swarm into your home.

Call me when that happens. It's big money and an easy sale for me.

#20 8 years ago

you can also drill into the wood, inject a termiticide foam into the galleries and kill the termites.

this could be an option for you.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Is there a way to ascertain if the colony still exists? I vacuumed it out as best I could so I could monitor it for new frass. Drill into a few random spots?

You will want to drill a small hole in the areas where you see the exit holes. This is where the gallery is. Pm me for greater details.
I can walk you through this.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from frb:

Termites live in the ground. They feed above ground. The game has been stored near a colony before. The way to get rid of termites is to block there path to the food source. Put the game on a cement pad with no cracks and let it set for a while. If there would happen to be termites in it they will die. They must have water to live. They can not walk in the light because they will dry out and die. They build mud tubes to travel to there food source.

you are 1/3 correct. subterranean termites live in the soil and build mud tubes and attach to wood. dry wood termites do not need earth to wood contact and are often found in attics and window sills. damp wood termites are rarely found in homes but are mostly found in wood near bodies of water like swamps.
putting wood on a concrete slab is not a guarantee that subterranean termites will not infest. I have seen/treated many concrete slab structures that have had subterranean termites come up through cracks in the slab as well as expansion joints. plumbing lines, electrical conduits etc. again, 20 years in the pest control business, a degree in entomology. there are also Formosan termites. they are a type of subterranean termite but where a standard sub colony will number in the 100,000+ range the Formosan colony will number in the 1,000,000"S. the damage they can do in just months is insane.
it should also be noted that termites do more damage to homes and businesses in the us every year than all the fires and natural disasters combined. an estimated 2 billion + a year.

#28 8 years ago

Some pics of receint termite work.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#29 8 years ago

The 1st pic is under the floor of an apt. Building. Notice the tubes going from the dirt all the way up the concrete pier block. Up the pier post. To the flooring and into the floor joist.
The second pic is of a window sill at an industrial park. This building is on a concrete slab. The many bodies are of sub termite swarmers. They are reproductive members. The swarm, fly a short distance. Land, their wings fall off. They burrow into soil and start forming new colonies.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Too bad be can't genetically engineer those giant Palmetto bugs to eat termites.

Palmento_Burger.jpg

Also known as the American cockroach. Ants have been known to attack termite colonies and eat the termites. This is why termite colonies have 3 casts.
Workers, solders,and reproductive's.

The solder cast is responsible for defending the colony from attack by other pests.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

My buddy's a pest control guy in FL and he says that if you have a big chest freezer, you can freeze the game for 2 weeks and 100% of the termites will be dead.
He says that is the way some expensive musical instruments are done.
If you do this, do not put the backglass in the freezer!

That will work. I did not suggest it only because not everyone has access to a freezer that big.

Some years ago, I had a case where the home owner had traveled to Thailand. He had picked up several wood carved statues and placed them on the mantle of his home. After a couple of months he noticed frass and small holes in his mantle.
I inspected the site and the statues and found them to contain wood boring beetles.
He had a freezer in his garage so he put them in the freezer for 30 days to kill the beetles.
I drilled into the mantle and injected a foam into the galleries to kill any beetles. Filled to holes, sanded,painted,and boom! Good as new.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pain-in-the-frass-termites?tu=mrgone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.