Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by aeneas
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I pulled the glass on one of my pins a couple days ago. I took the glass and a carefully and slowly set the glass down on the carpet... (it was set on edge and I was going to lean it against the wall) but, as soon as the edge of the glass touched the carpet... BOOM! Glass everywhere. I have owned pins for about 10 years. I never had this happen before. This was a NIB only 3+ years old. I have had 1950 pins through modern pins, never had a glass break before.
    I called tech support and was told that he has been in the pin game for about 15 years and had it happen many times.

So, my question is: Have you ever broke the glass on a pin?
    If so, how many times?
    How old or new was the glass that was broke?
    Who was the company that supplied the glass... i.e. Bally/Williams/Gottlieb/Spooky/JJP/etc...

Just trying to get an idea about how I should feel about breaking a NIB glass only 3+ years old...
    (IMO, I do not think it should have broke this soon.../or at all)
    And wether or not I should push the manufacturer into replacing... discount...

Thanks for your time!
    Brian

#2 6 years ago

Tempered glass has internal stresses so it breaks in a million pieces. I had one break in my hands, not touching anything. Shit happens.

#3 6 years ago

Have not broken any By accident. I buy new glass and shatter a really scratched one or two by placing in a shipping box of the new glass. One tap on the corner , and a pile of glass pebbles. I've heard of simple leaning on the floor or concrete and boom, pile of glass. Never heard of careful carpet placed and lean on the wall breakage. Have done that 100s of times and never broke 1. Sounds like a bad sheet - I'd ask for a replacement. Pinball life has the best price, in case the maker balks about it.

#4 6 years ago

Had It happen I think it was PINBOT , In garage about 10-12 degrees. I picked it up with my nice warm hands, and pow it exploded. Scared the poo out me

#5 6 years ago

Happened to me on a 2 year old xmen...just sliding the glass in.
    First time, Glass all over the playfield and floor!

4 years later, Im still finding pieces!!!

#6 6 years ago

First time was when I worked at Advance Carter. Pulled a glass out of the rack, turned and faced a jukebox and BOOM like a shotgun going off. Pile of glass kibbles at my feet.

Second one, I took a glass off of my BSD and leaned on the wall. It crumbled into a pile of glass kibble. Found out the next day that the stereo shop next door were playing with huge bass speakers. They could turn them so low you couldn't hear them, yet the cone still moved. After some soul searching, they decided to pay for the glass.

Next one was on a Friday evening. My MB had a bulb out, so I wanted to quick change it before I got busy. Started to slide the glass out and 1/4th of the way out it crumbled. Part on the floor, most in the game. And then people started coming in.

Last one was at one of my Pinball Circus events. Took a glass off of AFM and set against the wall, down it went into a pile. And of course everybody had to come and see what happened and dragged glass kibble all over to hell and back. That one came at me when it went and I had tiny bleeding holes all over my arms.

It happens. Sometimes you know why, sometimes not. Sometimes you get NOISE, sometimes not.

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

First time was when I worked at Advance Carter. Pulled a glass out of the rack, turned and faced a jukebox and BOOM like a shotgun going off. Pile of glass kibbles at my feet.
    Second one, I took a glass off of my BSD and leaned on the wall. It crumbled into a pile of glass kibble. Found out the next day that the stereo shop next door were playing with huge bass speakers. They could turn them so low you couldn't hear them, yet the cone still moved. After some soul searching, they decided to pay for the glass.
    Next one was on a Friday evening. My MB had a bulb out, so I wanted to quick change it before I got busy. Started to slide the glass out and 1/4th of the way out it crumbled. Part on the floor, most in the game. And then people started coming in.
    Last one was at one of my Pinball Circus events. Took a glass off of AFM and set against the wall, down it went into a pile. And of course everybody had to come and see what happened and dragged glass kibble all over to hell and back. That one came at me when it went and I had tiny bleeding holes all over my arms.
    It happens. Sometimes you know why, sometimes not. Sometimes you get NOISE, sometimes not.
    LTG : )

Thanks for the feedback so far! I had about 5 seriously minor cuts on my hands after the explosion. Didn't even notice them until about 30 seconds after it happened. Little dots of blood on the back of my hands...

I guess this is a "shit happens" situation... looking forward to hearing more stories!
    I should probably order a new one!

Brian

#8 6 years ago

Happened to me just once with wide body glass. Placed on a floor mat in the garage. One corner touched the mat just before the other and it exploded. A couple minor cuts on hands and forearms. The trick is to be very careful to touch down evenly. If one corner touches the ground first your chances of a catastrophe are significantly increased.

#9 6 years ago

I would not blame the glass, its age or who supplied it

Glass breaks, life sucks, move on

#10 6 years ago

Knock on wood, never have. I did break a piece of plate glass (which was a good thing) by accidentally lifting up a little too much/bending it while taking it out of the game (tempered glass doesn't mind much) to avoid an obstacle, something like the shooter rod of the game across from it. It took a clean chunk out the top right of it with no mess. This was just after I bought the game and was taking the glass off for the first time (or it wouldn't have been that type of glass), and I'm glad it happened so I could replace it with the appropriate glass, tempered glass, and it saved me from any danger or harm down the road. As soon as I found out it was plate glass it would have been replaced (or at least "marked to be replaced") immediately anyways (likely only minutes later), so it made it nice and easy for me at least!

I actually have placed tempered glass playfield sheets and cold concrete out of fairly warm games too with no issues. I usually rest them on the top of my shoes first and then go to the floor. Sorry to those who lost a glass doing nothing but: more than once I've actually blatantly dragged unused sheets of glass across the concrete floor with stick-on tiles on them without them breaking. Pretty sure it actually left marks on the bottoms of the glasses but didn't break them. Yes, they were all tempered. Still have them to this day. They frequently sit on the cold floor without breaking, either.

NOW after this post, I have to knock on wood a trillion times, cross my heart, cross my fingers, etc....

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I would not blame the glass, its age or who supplied it
    Glass breaks, life sucks, move on

This. I really don't think you can get any meaningful data out of your questions.

What I've heard a few times is that if your cabinet isn't levelled correctly (like 1 corner is too high) the whole cabinet will be flexed a bit and this puts stress on the glass (sometimes it'll slide out a bit difficult). When you take it out, the stress falls away and therefor the glass suddenly explodes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pail-of-diamonds-how-many-times and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.