You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

paddock-1pt_(resized).jpg
PaddockBack_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160118_132412_240_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Picked up a gorgeous, but probably non-working Paddock this weekend. It's missing all 4 fuses next to the transformer. The manual says to use the fuses specified on the fuse block...apparently the tag listing them is gone. Any one have any idea on what rating fuses to use?

Thanks!

IMG_20160118_132412_240_(resized).jpgIMG_20160118_132412_240_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

The schematic on ipdb.org shows the fuses -- 3x 10 amp and 1x 15 amp for the 24V side. Have a look.

#3 8 years ago

THANK YOU!

I'm rather new at this, and had gone over the schematic 3 times...and couldn't find it. Any idea the location of the 15A fuse on the fuse block? I'm "guessing" the top as the wire color there is the same as the wires soldered to the 24V terminal of the transformer...guess I can just voltage test the whole fuse block to figure it out.

Gonaa go with a second question while I'm at it. So when I got this I was told that when plugged in, it lights up (haven't plugged it in yet due to fuses and needing to replace the cord with a properly grounded cord). So in the back off the machine there's a coil/plunger that hits a bar for sound. The coil is COMPLETELY fried, to the point I can't read ANY of the labeling on it. Someone removed the coil and attached the tow wires connected to it, together. So two questions;

What is the possibility that the cause of the fuse blowing is these two wires being attached together?
And, based on the pic below (see red arrow, bottom left, pointing to the fried relay[this is NOT a picture of my actual machine]), anyway of telling what coil I need to replace it?

Thanks SO much. I really appreciate it.

PaddockBack_(resized).jpgPaddockBack_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

The manual on ipdb.org has a list of all solenoids. That looks like the chime coil, C2-26-800?
On the schematic it shows that the chime coil energizes on 10 or 100 points. Connecting the two wires would blow the fuse...

The schematic shows the wire colour but sometimes the wires are dirty or faded and it is hard to tell. I think it is the third one with all the discolouration based on the wire colours.

#5 8 years ago

Cool! C2-26-800 is also what I came up with. THANK YOU for verifying connecting the two coil wire together would blow the fuse...I kinda figured such (haven't worked on one of these for *gulp* 35+ years).

I'm slowly kind of starting to understand the schematic...I think / hope.

So, next problem. The machine does turn on (yippie), kind of even plays, kind of. Currently however it appears there are 3 coils constantly energized. The Match Unit, the One Point Relay and the 100 Point Relay.

Based on the schematic, if in fact I'm figuring it out, the Match Unit coil is powered through the One Point Relay (E 15), which is powered by the #1, #3, #4 & #5, Bumpers, the Kicker Switch, the Stand Up switch, and the 1-PT D.U. EOS Switch (C 15/16). Would I 'probably' be correct that there's a set of contacts on one of these relays that's either "welded" closed, or out of adjustment and staying closed, causing this? (the 1-PT D.U. EOS Switch has me a bit confused. , it looks like the circuit would go through it AND the One Point Relay, to power the One Point Relay coil).

any ideas?

#6 8 years ago

The 1 point disc unit switch is used for resetting score reels to zero during reset which is why it is labelled as open at zero.
In the schematic it is a logical OR to energize the score reel.

Check bumper relays 1, 3, 4, 5 to see if any are locked on. If so check the bumper itself.

#7 8 years ago

Nope, 1 3 4 & 5 are all normally open.

I was thinking, the Chime Coil, which burned out, is energized by the 100 Point Relay, which is ALSO constantly powered and closed (kind of explains why the Chime Coil burned up). Is there anything that powers BOTH the One Point and 100 Point relay coil?

#8 8 years ago

I attached the 1-pt portion of the schematic. On the left-hand side are all the switches that could energize the 1-pt relay:
- #1, #3, #4, #5 bumper
- kicker switches
- stand up switches

Check all of those switches to see if any are stuck closed.

To explain the 1-PT. D.U. EOS SW. part of the schematic, consider this scenario.

-> the ball hits a stand-up switch (which is only a momentary switch that re-opens as soon as the ball moves away), this energizes the 1-PT. RE
-> the switches on the 1-PT. RE close, including a "self-hold" switch -- this is the 1-PT. RE. switch shown on the bottom line of the schematic
-> the 1-PT. D.U. EOS SW. is normally closed so that, in combination with the "self hold" switch on the 1-PT. RE., keep the 1-PT. RE. coil energized
-> the solenoid on the 1-PT score reel plunges to advance the score and when it bottoms out it opens the 1-PT. D.U. EOS SW.; this breaks the circuit and causes the 1-PT. RE. to de-energize

So if the score reel fires and adds 1 point, make sure that the EOS switch is opening as well.

paddock-1pt_(resized).jpgpaddock-1pt_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

Hey HEY! Making progress here. (seriously, THANK YOU so much).

The 100 Point Relay was being constantly powered by a maladjusted Stand Up target.

For the One Point Relay, and checking the stand-up and kicker switches, I had to remove all the rubbers (couldn't really see in there to check the contacts). Once they were all removed, the One Point Relay coil was no longer powered. Ok, got it narrowed down a bit. Put the rubbers on one at a time to see which one would power the One Point Relay coil. Got down to the last one, still didn't power the coil. Guess perhaps one just wasn't on correctly.

TWO PROBLEMS SOLVED (you ROCK! Thank you).

Found a couple other coils being constantly powered, but for the moment, I'm going to just tackle them later on.

Another question on another note however...the pop bumpers are weaker than near-beer (the kick bumpers are weak as well), any ideas on making them more powerful?

Again, THANK YOU

#10 8 years ago

For your fuseblock, this is what it appears to me to be laid out (top holder to bottom order):

10 amp Back Box Lights

10 amp Playfield Lights

15 amp Coils

10 amp Main Power Line

#11 8 years ago

Thank you Ken. That's also what I figured it to be. Do you have this machine?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Lets:

Thank you Ken. That's also what I figured it to be. Do you have this machine?

Nope. I deduced what the fuses were from your picture and the schematic.

#13 8 years ago

*sigh* Two more constantly energized relays. The Lock Relay (F4) and the Ball Index Relay (F11)

Looks like there's 6 relays controlling the Lock Relay. I'm certain the problem is not with the Left Flipper switch, coin relay, 25c, 10c, or 5c relay. Not sure how the Lock Relay effects the Lock Relay. On close inspection, it appears that this relay (Lock Relay) is being energized by itself (if I separate one of the contacts of this relay, it opens, and stays open).

As a side note, and this seems very weird, if I trip the coin slot to add games, the game counter wheel actually goes backwards.

#14 8 years ago

The lock relay, "if its the one I think it is", shud lock and stay on as long as the game is on, and one game has been played.
The credit unit shud dec by one for each game played.
Chk playfield switches for a stuck on switch.

#15 8 years ago

The lock relay will stay energized, that is normal. If you look in the Instruction Manual you will see that the 6V playfield lights rely on this relay being energized. The lock relay switch on the schematic is a "self-hold switch" as discussed above.

Looking at the schematic, the ball index relay appears to remain energized while a ball is in play and at least some points are scored. So again, this looks normal. I believe one of its functions is a "ball save" so that you won't advance a ball unless you score at least some points before draining.

As for weak solenoids there could be a few reasons. Could be a dirty switch somewhere in the 24V path that is reducing the current. Might need to clean the mechanisms and replace worn coil sleeves. You could try jumpering from the 24V lug on the transformer to the power side of a suspect coil and briefly energizing the coil to see if it kicks any stronger. If so then something is restricting the power and you may want to clean/inspect/adjust contacts on the 24V path. Careful doing this of course. You could also high tap the game....

#16 8 years ago

Thank you! I suspected that they both may normally be energized. However, the coil on the Lock Relay looks like it has vastly overheated.

I'm awaiting delivery of a bunch of replacement part, and servicing tools, and am planning on going over the entire machine cleaning and adjusting. Can't understand how I seem to have lost my few pinball tools....it's only been some 40 years since I last owned one of these

Thanks again! I'll probably be back in a week or so...but, I'll start a new thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paddock-williams-fuse-size and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.