(Topic ID: 287036)

Paddock ball number - intermittent repeats.

By Tonup69

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dgAmpGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Paddock ball index problem (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Still getting all of the gremlins out of Paddock . This one is annoying, but not very consistent. Sometimes the game will not decrease the ball number, but will act otherwise normally after the ball drains. Sometimes this occurs on the third ball, sometimes the last ball. It increases balls during pay as it should - i.e. when an extra ball is earned. Only a decreasing ball number problem and only every once in a while. Any idea which switch needs cleaning? The Ball Index relay has been adjusted and cleaned already and the ball count unit has been cleaned and lubed with PBR grease. Not sticking at all. Coils work fine. Any ideas?

#2 3 years ago

It sounds like it's possible that the ball index relay isn't holding as it should. Excuse me if you know this already, but the purpose of the ball index relay is to allow you to replay a ball if you drain without scoring any points. As you can see in the snippet below, it is energized by any of the scoring relays - 1pt, 10pt, 100pt. It's locked on through that upper circuit; it's own lock-on switch, then the two parallel switches - the make/break on the outhole relay and the score motor 3C switch.

I would look at that highlighted make/break switch on the outhole relay. If that isn't staying closed, the index relay would relax every time the score motor turned. And if it's relaxed when the ball drains, I don't think your ball count will decrement.

This would be hard to do if the problem is intermittent, but if you notice that the ball index relay is relaxed when the problem happens, that might tell you something. If it's energized when the problem happens, then there's something else going on. Make doubly sure the ball count unit is moving smoothly and consistently, and that the pulse it's getting to fire is strong and long enough to fire the coil completely through its mechanical cycle.

Paddock ball index problem (resized).JPGPaddock ball index problem (resized).JPG

#3 3 years ago

Thanks. I will check that switch on the outhole RE. Had not thought of that one yet.

#4 3 years ago

I agree with paulace . That’s the first thing to check. After that, there are 3 switches involved with making the ball count decrement. The schematic calls it the reset coil, but it really decrements one ball at a time. The first switch is on the outhole relay. The second switch is on the ball index relay, as paulace says. The third one is a score motor switch, C-2A on the schematic. If any of those are dirty, or misadjusted, you could get a weak pulse.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paddock-ball-number-intermittent-repeats?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.