23CD79E8-83D6-4477-A67F-527647E89F1C (resized).jpeg
Paddock (resized).JPG
Reset_RE (resized).jpg
DU switch (resized).jpg
10pt_DU (resized).jpg
0F3290A6-E949-49F1-9461-F8980DDCA94E (resized).jpeg
10 pt relay (resized).JPG
628AF8F6-648D-4042-930E-AE78CA85AF60 (resized).jpeg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Hello - been working on a Williams Paddock machine I just got. No matter what I do, I can't stop the 10pt DU from energizing. I am working my way down the schematic and the only things I see that it could be - other than the 10pt RE switches which I checked - are the RO switches and a bumper RE that fire the Advance RE. Have not looked at the Advance RE yet either, cause I didn't find it yet. Also, I unplugged the playfield and I still have the 10pt DU energized. Any suggestions?

10ptRE (resized).jpg10ptRE (resized).jpg10ptDU (resized).jpg10ptDU (resized).jpgAdvanceRE (resized).jpgAdvanceRE (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

It looks like the 10 pt drum unit is only fired by the 10 pt relay, and the 10 pt relay is only fired by the advance relay. Are either of those 2 relays - the 10 pt relay or the advance relay - stuck on?

If not, there are a few things that activate the advance relay (see snippet below): the L & R top rollover sw's, a sw. on the No 2 bumper relay, and EOS sw. on the advance relay, and whichever rollover button switch is connected through the advance unit. Are any of those switches stuck on or shorted?

Paddock problem (resized).JPGPaddock problem (resized).JPG

It looks like what breaks the circuit once the advance relay is activated is an EOS switch on the advance unit that's in series with its lock-in switch. If you can find the advance unit, see if that EOS switch is working. It should be a normally closed switch that will open once the advance unit plunger is pulled all the way in.

#3 3 years ago

Did you check these four switches to see if any of them are stuck? Only thing on the playfield that scores 10 points, except the pops when lit.

628AF8F6-648D-4042-930E-AE78CA85AF60 (resized).jpeg628AF8F6-648D-4042-930E-AE78CA85AF60 (resized).jpeg
#4 3 years ago

I did try to isolate the playfield - unplugged the jones plug - but the 10pt DU was still stuck on. I'll check those switches anyway. Even if it is one of those switches, why is the 10pt RE not stuck on as well? I keep thinking its something to do with the score reel itself - which I have not cleaned. In fact, I haven't cleaned much at all yet.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

It looks like what breaks the circuit once the advance relay is activated is an EOS switch on the advance unit that's in series with its lock-in switch. If you can find the advance unit, see if that EOS switch is working. It should be a normally closed switch that will open once the advance unit plunger is pulled all the way in.

I was able to activate the advance unit and it appears to be working - advances and stops. I looked at the switches and the EOS appears to be adjusted, but I will recheck and clean. Kind of stumped on that - both the 10pt RE and the Advance RE are NOT stuck on. Why would the 10pt DU be stuck then?

#6 3 years ago

I suppose you could have a short that's not obvious somewhere in that 10 pt drum reel circuit. At least if the 10pt relay and Advance relay are not locking on, and the EOS switch on the advance relay is good, then you've eliminated those relays and all the switches that activate them.

I wonder if your unsoldered both ends of the O-W wire that runs between the 10pt relay and the 10pt drum unit, then used a jumper wire between those two points - if it solved the problem, you'd know the short is somewhere in that stretch of wiring...and if it doesn't solve it, then you know it's somewhere else.

Shorts like that are hard to find. Maybe you could unsolder both lugs of the 10pt drum unit solenoid and put a light bulb (2 12V car bulbs in series if you have that around) in place of the solenoid. That way you could leave it on without the risk of burning up the coil. You'd have a light burning while you wiggle wiring harnesses and poke around (carefully, of course)...you could see if the light blinked off for a moment if you're close to the problem.

I'm just trying to think of some way to narrow down the area where the short could be.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

I suppose you could have a short that's not obvious somewhere in that 10 pt drum reel circuit. At least if the 10pt relay and Advance relay are not locking on, and the EOS switch on the advance relay is good, then you've eliminated those relays and all the switches that activate them.
I wonder if your unsoldered both ends of the O-W wire that runs between the 10pt relay and the 10pt drum unit, then used a jumper wire between those two points - if it solved the problem, you'd know the short is somewhere in that stretch of wiring...and if it doesn't solve it, then you know it's somewhere else.
Shorts like that are hard to find. Maybe you could unsolder both lugs of the 10pt drum unit solenoid and put a light bulb (2 12V car bulbs in series if you have that around) in place of the solenoid. That way you could leave it on without the risk of burning up the coil. You'd have a light burning while you wiggle wiring harnesses and poke around (carefully, of course)...you could see if the light blinked off for a moment if you're close to the problem.
I'm just trying to think of some way to narrow down the area where the short could be.

Yeah - I will take the jumper approach from the DU. That sounds like a good way to isolate the circuit and also diagnose the score reel at the same time. Thanks!

#8 3 years ago

On a slightly different note - my Paddock machine has the long red flipper bats like yours - well, one white and one red. I checked the 1969 catalog, though, and it calls for shorter 3A-7245 flipper bats (2" with raised letters). The longer bats look right on the machine. What replacements would I buy in this case? The white bat is badly damaged.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

On a slightly different note - my Paddock machine has the long red flipper bats like yours - well, one white and one red. I checked the 1969 catalog, though, and it calls for shorter 3A-7245 flipper bats (2" with raised letters). The longer bats look right on the machine. What replacements would I buy in this case? The white bat is badly damaged.

Paddock/Post Time was the First Pinball machine with 3” Flippers at the bottom. They never had 2” flippers installed.

#10 3 years ago

How much space do you have on the first contact nearest to the 10 point relay?
If the gap is to narrow it will pull in by itself.

#11 3 years ago

Also check that the EOS switch on 10pt unit opens correctly when unit solenoid pulls in.

#12 3 years ago

I did some testing and now I am more confused. I disconnected the O-W wire from the 10pt RE and the coil on the 10pt DU. However, when I touch the wire to the coil - it fires! How can that happen? I thought, based on the schematic, that the Orange and White wire goes from the DU coil to the 10pt RE switch, but nowhere else. It's making me think that there is a short inside the DU somewhere. However, when I run a jumper from the switch on the 10pt RE to the 10pt DU coil, the game will score correctly. It is still having trouble on reset but scores as it should with the jumper. Is there a short somewhere in the O-W wire? Should I run a new wire?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Paddock/Post Time was the First Pinball machine with 3” Flippers at the bottom. They never had 2” flippers installed.

Good to know - seems right to me. I am going to try to find some new flipper bats. Looks like I might have to get the ones with the W logo.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from wizardblom:

How much space do you have on the first contact nearest to the 10 point relay?
If the gap is to narrow it will pull in by itself.

It's not pulling on its own. In fact, the DU coil is energized while the 10pt RE is NOT activated.

#15 3 years ago

Could the switch on the 10pt relay be shorted? According to the schematic, that's the only switch in series with the D.U. coil, so if you are using a jumper to bypass everything between the 2, and the D.U. coil still energizes when you connect the jumper, the short must be through the 10pt relay switch. Look at that relay very closely....touching tabs, solder splashes, wires touching anywhere.... Look at that middle switch - O-W and Y wires. See if it measures a short between the switch tabs.

I was confused by what you wrote earlier - you said it scored correctly when you were running a jumper between those same two points?

10 pt relay (resized).JPG10 pt relay (resized).JPG

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Could the switch on the 10pt relay be shorted? According to the schematic, that's the only switch in series with the D.U. coil, so if you are using a jumper to bypass everything between the 2, and the D.U. coil still energizes when you connect the jumper, the short must be through the 10pt relay switch. Look at that relay very closely....touching tabs, solder splashes, wires touching anywhere.... Look at that middle switch - O-W and Y wires. See if it measures a short between the switch tabs.
I was confused by what you wrote earlier - you said it scored correctly when you were running a jumper between those same two points?
[quoted image]

Exactly why I was confused - with the jumper in place it appears to work fine during a game, but has trouble on reset. That still doesn't explain why the wire itself (O-W wire from the 10pt RE) is hot even when detached form the RE. ??? I will unscrew the 10pt RE and take a closer look for shorts.

LTR

#17 3 years ago

You started the post stating that the coil energized as soon as you connected the jumper that effectively replaces the O-W wire. Did I understand that correctly? So the D.U. coil energized - does it stay turned on? If not, when does it turn off?

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

You started the post stating that the coil energized as soon as you connected the jumper that effectively replaces the O-W wire. Did I understand that correctly? So the D.U. coil energized - does it stay turned on? If not, when does it turn off?

It stays energized. That's been the problem from the start.

#19 3 years ago

Sorry...I'm still confused - so the 10pt D.U. stays energized, but you're able to start a game with the D.U. locked on like that, and the machine is scoring correctly? Just not resetting correctly?

Do you have a multimeter? I'm still curious if you have a dead short between the 2 tabs on the back of that 10pt relay switch.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Sorry...I'm still confused - so the 10pt D.U. stays energized, but you're able to start a game with the D.U. locked on like that, and the machine is scoring correctly? Just not resetting correctly?
Do you have a multimeter? I'm still curious if you have a dead short between the 2 tabs on the back of that 10pt relay switch.

Yes, I have a multimeter. I'll check that next. Yes, I can start the game with the DU energized - if I force that score reel to the 0 position, the other reels will reset and the game will start with ball one.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

Yes, I have a multimeter. I'll check that next. Yes, I can start the game with the DU energized - if I force that score reel to the 0 position, the other reels will reset and the game will start with ball one.

With the jumper wire in place from the 10pt RE to the coil on the 10pt DU it scores normally, but won't reset.

#22 3 years ago

Based on the latest experiment, it sounds to me that the problem lies in the reset path, not the scoring path. There should be 2 wires going to the 10 point score reel coil. Look carefully at the reset wires that go through the zero switch. I attached a screen shot of that portion of the schematic with a yellow highlighted path. One detail that I find interesting is that the 10 point reel is the only one that doesn’t gate the reset pulses by a dedicated switch in the reset relay. So, if the B-BLU wire gets shorted to yellow, you’re going to see the problem that you describe.

Good luck,
Dave

0F3290A6-E949-49F1-9461-F8980DDCA94E (resized).jpeg0F3290A6-E949-49F1-9461-F8980DDCA94E (resized).jpeg
#23 3 years ago

Hi dgAmpGuy - thanks for that observation - makes sense, except that (if I'm understanding correctly) the op has disconnected the O-W wire from between the 10pt relay sw. and the left lug on the 10pt D.U. coil. - replacing it with a jumper, and the D.U. coil still fires. Doesn't that remove the whole reset circuit from the equation?

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Hi dgAmpGuy - thanks for that observation - makes sense, except that (if I'm understanding correctly) the op has disconnected the O-W wire from between the 10pt relay sw. and the left lug on the 10pt D.U. coil. - replacing it with a jumper, and the D.U. coil still fires. Doesn't that remove the whole reset circuit from the equation?

I will try to take a few short videos today when I'm at the warehouse. It should clear up some of these questions.

#25 3 years ago

I think I’ve isolated the problem to that score reel and perhaps the reset RE circuit. See this video. If I manually set the score reel to zero during reset, I can play a complete game with the jumper in place.

#26 3 years ago

Thanks for the video. When you touch the lug of the D.U. coil with the wire that you unsoldered from it, you're still connecting the D.U. coil through the reset circuit that dgAmpGuy highlighted in yellow. You're disconnected from the 10pt relay switch, so that's out of the picture, but as you say, your problem is with either that D.U. switch that's supposed to be open at "0", the motor impulse switch, or the make/break switch on the reset relay - those switches highlighted in yellow in post #22.

You're narrowing it down!

#27 3 years ago

Ok. I see two wires connect to each other at the reel. One of those wires goes to the 10 pt relay. The other wire goes to the circuit that I highlighted. That’s what you need to figure out.

One tool that I have found useful is connecting two 12 volt car bulbs in series and putting 2 long wires with alligator clips on them from each of the other 2 bulb terminals. This allows you to hook into the 24 volt circuit and observe the pulses (or steady state) of the various points in the circuit.

If my paddock was doing what yours is, I’d connect one side of the light tester to black, then move the other side through the path that I highlighted, from left to right, starting at the reset relay.

Dave

#28 3 years ago

I don’t think the problem is with the relay. You are touching two wires onto the score reel. Separate them and try again. I bet the relay wire is fine. It the other wire you need to follow.

#29 3 years ago

I had time to mess with Paddock yesterday. Here are a couple of updates:

1) The good news is that the only problem on the machine, which I just got and had not worked on previously, appears to be this 10pt RE issue. If I zero out the 10pt RE on restart manually and use the jumper wire to the 10pt RE, I can play a complete game and everything else works.
2) I took apart the 10pt DU to clean it, but was surprised to find no circuit board on this unit! See photo.10pt_DU (resized).jpg10pt_DU (resized).jpg
3) The switches on the DU are adjusted correctly and I cleaned them, but still had the same problem, so I checked continuity. I found that the B-Blu wire is in continuity with the O-W wire at all times EXCEPT when the switches are open at the Zero position on the score reel. See photo.DU switch (resized).jpgDU switch (resized).jpg
4) I looked at the reset RE and the impulse cam switch and can't find any solder bombs or loose connections. See photo.Reset_RE (resized).jpgReset_RE (resized).jpg

Not sure what to do next here. Should the B-Blu wire be hot all of the time? That seems odd as well. It's clear not that the coil is being energized by the B-Blu wire from the Reset RE.
LTR

#30 3 years ago

That B-BLU wire shouldn't be hot unless the make/break switch on the reset relay AND the Impulse-A switch are both closed. Since they're in series, if only one was shorted, that B-BLU wire still wouldn't be hot unless the other closed. You could unsolder a wire from each switch and see if the switch is shorted (be aware that using a meter doesn't work all that well on EM's unless you unsolder one side of the switch because of parallel circuitry that can affect the reading). But the chance of both of those switches being shorted is pretty small. I suspect a short in the wiring somewhere between the left side of the reset relay switch and the right side of the impulse-a switch (between the YELLOW wire and the B-BLU wire), effectively bypassing both those switches and keeping that B-BLU wire hot. I hate trying to find those kind of shorts - you may have to unwrap some wire bundles and trace those wires carefully. Once you've eliminated those 2 switches as the source of the short, that's all you have left, I think.

Paddock (resized).JPGPaddock (resized).JPG

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

That B-BLU wire shouldn't be hot unless the make/break switch on the reset relay AND the Impulse-A switch are both closed. Since they're in series, if only one was shorted, that B-BLU wire still wouldn't be hot unless the other closed. You could unsolder a wire from each switch and see if the switch is shorted (be aware that using a meter doesn't work all that well on EM's unless you unsolder one side of the switch because of parallel circuitry that can affect the reading). But the chance of both of those switches being shorted is pretty small. I suspect a short in the wiring somewhere between the left side of the reset relay switch and the right side of the impulse-a switch (between the YELLOW wire and the B-BLU wire), effectively bypassing both those switches and keeping that B-BLU wire hot. I hate trying to find those kind of shorts - you may have to unwrap some wire bundles and trace those wires carefully. Once you've eliminated those 2 switches as the source of the short, that's all you have left, I think.
[quoted image]

I rigged a 24v test light yesterday and tested a few things. I've now eliminated the make/break switch on the Reset RE (G-W wire on impulse-A). I also figured out that if all of the score reels are in 0 position, the B-Blu wire is no longer hot. However, as soon as the 100pt or 1000pt score reel is set to >1 the wire is hot again. The only thing that all of these DU switches have in common is the Reset RE (different switches on that relay - B-R, B-Y and B-G). That must be where the short is coming from, but I can't find any issues with the switch gaps or solder bombs or anything obvious. Suggestions?

LTR

23CD79E8-83D6-4477-A67F-527647E89F1C (resized).jpeg23CD79E8-83D6-4477-A67F-527647E89F1C (resized).jpeg
#32 3 years ago

Please define what you mean by “hot”?

Do you mean connected to yellow or connected to black?
If you connect your test light to yellow and then black-blue, it lights when 1000 or 100 goes non-zero? This is expected because you’re getting a circuit through the drum up coils.

If you connect your test light to black, then to black-blue is it on after reset completes and 1000 or 100 are non-zero? This shouldn’t happen because the non zero switches only connect to black through the drum coil.

You should be able to isolate it to a wire between 2 points, then it might be as paulace said and it’s a short in the cable run.

Edited to fix boo boos and clarify.

Dave

#33 3 years ago

I'm sorry if I confused the issue using the word "hot". dgAmpGuy is right, since we're talking about AC from a transformer, there's not really a ground, just a return, and so everything is relative to some reference point. So let's take your light bulb tester (a handy tool on EM's...glad you made that). You could use a meter as well set to AC voltage, but the lights will work just as well since we're just looking for the lights to be on or off. The important thing to remember is that if you clip one side of your lights to the right lug of the 10pt coil (which is essentially the BLACK wire), then any voltage we're talking about is relative to that BLACK wire....so let's take that as our reference.

If you then hook the other lead of your test bulbs to the YELLOW wire (where the purple "X" is), your bulb will always light because you're putting 24V across the bulb. If your lead is connected anywhere else, and the light comes on, it means that you have a connection to the YELLOW wire though whatever switches are involved....that is, those switches between the YELLOW wire and wherever your test lead is connected are closed.

Hooking the other lead of your tester to where the green or blue "X"'s are should be more informative:

- If you're hooked to the green "X", the light should come on when the reset relay make/break switch changes state from how it's drawn. (That is, the lower switch on the schematic is closed)

- If you're hooked to the blue "X", the light should come on when both the reset relay make/break lower switch is closed, AND the impulse switch is closed. So during reset, as the score motor turns, the light should rapidly blink on and off as that impulse switch A opens and closes. Once the reset is finished, the bulb should be off as both the reset make/break and impulse switches are open.

So I'm curious to see - setting all the drum units to zero and turning on the game - if you connect the other clip of your bulb tester to anywhere along the B-BLU wire (where the blue "X" is), does the light come on? It shouldn't. At that point, the reset relay make/break switch should be open, as shown. Also, if the score motor is in the home position, the impulse A switch should also be open. Your light should only come on if those two switches are both closed. (Remember, that's assuming the other lead of your light tester is attached to the BLACK wire.)

I hope this wasn't talking down to anyone - just wanted to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Paddock reset circuit (resized).JPGPaddock reset circuit (resized).JPG

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

I'm sorry if I confused the issue using the word "hot". dgAmpGuy is right, since we're talking about AC from a transformer, there's not really a ground, just a return, and so everything is relative to some reference point. So let's take your light bulb tester (a handy tool on EM's...glad you made that). You could use a meter as well set to AC voltage, but the lights will work just as well since we're just looking for the lights to be on or off. The important thing to remember is that if you clip one side of your lights to the right lug of the 10pt coil (which is essentially the BLACK wire), then any voltage we're talking about is relative to that BLACK wire....so let's take that as our reference.
If you then hook the other lead of your test bulbs to the YELLOW wire (where the purple "X" is), your bulb will always light because you're putting 24V across the bulb. If your lead is connected anywhere else, and the light comes on, it means that you have a connection to the YELLOW wire though whatever switches are involved....that is, those switches between the YELLOW wire and your test lead are closed.
Hooking the other lead of your tester to where the green or blue "X"'s are should be more informative:
- If you're hooked to the green "X", the light should come on when the reset relay make/break switch changes state from how it's drawn. (That is, the lower switch on the schematic is closed)
- If you're hooked to the blue "X", the light should come on when both the reset relay make/break lower switch is closed, AND the impulse switch is closed. So during reset, as the score motor turns, the light should rapidly blink on and off as that impulse switch A opens and closes. Once the reset is finished, the bulb should be off as both the reset make/break and impulse switches are open.
So I'm curious to see - setting all the drum units to zero and turning on the game - if you connect the other clip of your bulb tester to anywhere along the B-BLU wire (where the blue "X" is), does the light come on? It shouldn't. At that point, the reset relay make/break switch should be open, as shown. Also, if the score motor is in the home position, the impulse A switch should also be open. Your light should only come on if those two switches are both closed. (Remember, that's assuming the other lead of your light tester is attached to the BLACK wire.)
I hope this wasn't talking down to anyone - just wanted to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the diagram with the X's to clarify. The testing I did was using one lead clipped to black and one to B-Blu. The light stays on unless all drum units are set to zero.

The other testing I did (all with one lead on a black coil wire for reference (lock relay). Here are the results:

Purple X - light is off
Green X - light is off unless 1) impulse-A is moved to close the switch AND the drum units are not all at zero.
Blue X - light is on when drum units are not at zero, but off if all are at zero.

Make more sense? Do you also see why I think there is something going on with a switch on the reset RE?

Cheers,

LTR

#35 3 years ago

The light is off when your leads are connected between the BLACK and YELLOW (purple X) wires?

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

The light is off when your leads are connected between the BLACK and YELLOW (purple X) wires?

Now I’m not so sure. I’m pretty sure I checked that last night. I would have checked at the reset RE (middle M/N sw). I think it was off.

#37 3 years ago

Yeah, if you wouldn't mind, check that again. Make sure one lead is on the lug of any drum unit coil that has a black wire attached to it, and the other is on the yellow wire connected to the make/break switch on the reset relay. If hooked between those 2 points, the light should be on.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Yeah, if you wouldn't mind, check that again. Make sure one lead is on the lug of any drum unit coil that has a black wire attached to it, and the other is on the yellow wire connected to the make/break switch on the reset relay. If hooked between those 2 points, the light should be on.

I hope to get to this later this afternoon. To be clear, we are talking about the yellow wire attached to switch C-8 on the reset RE (see my post #31 above).

#39 3 years ago

If by C-8, you mean where the switch is located on the schematic, then yes. Physically, it'll be the switch highlighted in this picture....the yellow wire in the center of that center switch 2B.

Paddock reset relay (resized).JPGPaddock reset relay (resized).JPG
#40 3 years ago

To clarify, OP is talking about the switch paulace hilighted. He's referring to the column there that specifies the switch location on the schematic.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#41 3 years ago

Thanks HowardR - hey, since you're watching, if you see me saying anything incorrect, feel free to step in and straighten me out.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Thanks HowardR - hey, since you're watching, if you see me saying anything incorrect, feel free to step in and straighten me out.

Yes - we are all on the same page in terms of which switch. Now the bad news.

Purple X - light is off
Green X - light is off unless 1) impulse-A is moved to close the switch AND the drum units are not all at zero.
Blue X - light is on when drum units are not at zero, but off if all are at zero.
Purple X - light is on when drum units are at zero or not at zero.

Does that help? I'm getting more confused, actually.

LTR

#43 3 years ago

Hi Tonup69 - So I'm not understanding this - if I connect a light across the yellow and black wires, which is straight across the 2 voltage "buses", wouldn't the light turn on? There are no switches involved in that path, just the light across 2 terminals? Hope I haven't been steering the poor guy wrong! *laugh*

I guess for this example, we could think of the yellow and black wires as the two terminals of a battery. (It's just a battery that switches current direction 120 times a second.) All we're doing is connecting a light bulb across the two battery terminals - won't it light?

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Hi Tonup69 - So I'm not understanding this - if I connect a light across the yellow and black wires, which is straight across the 2 voltage "buses", wouldn't the light turn on? There are no switches involved in that path, just the light across 2 terminals? Hope I haven't been steering the poor guy wrong! *laugh*
I guess for this example, we could think of the yellow and black wires as the two terminals of a battery. (It's just a battery that switches current direction 120 times a second.) All we're doing is connecting a light bulb across the two battery terminals - won't it light?

Sorry, I am confusing you. The first line of my post was copied and pasted. Let's try this. Remember, I am using one connection on the black terminal of the coil and the other is the test lead.

Red X - not sure what you mean here since I would be connecting black to black.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

Sorry, I am confusing you. The first line of my post was copied and pasted. Let's try this. Remember, I am using one connection on the black terminal of the coil and the other is the test lead.

FYI - I understand electrickery. I've wired up multiple vintage motorcycles from scratch and I currently have 5 working pinball machines that were NOT working when I got them (some problems easier than others). It is this particular problem that is stumping me, not the concepts of voltage, current and resistance.

LTR

#46 3 years ago

Sorry Tonup69 - I misread your earlier post - had to erase my last one. Just ignore that one.

#47 3 years ago

Ha- good! If you can wire up a motorcycle, you can teach me about electrical stuff, then! Someone needs to! *laugh* Still looking over your results....trying to make sense of them.

#48 3 years ago

Now a logic question: it appears to me from various testing I did tonight that the 10pt DU is a sort of gate keeper for the reset. The other score reels are somehow connected to the switches on the 10pt DU and it initiates the reset when pulsed by the reset RE. Does that make sense? Maybe that's what I am thinking just because there is some short somewhere.

LTR

#49 3 years ago

Well, I'll try to run through how I think the reset circuit works - see if this makes sense. Let's assume when you turn the machine on, all the drum units are at "1".....not at zero, so all those drum unit switches that are open at zero are now closed:

So when the machine resets, the reset relay is energized
- this switches the make/break switch just to the right of the purple X on the snippet on post #33, closing the bottom switch, and also closing those 3 reset relay switches that are in series with the D.U. open at zero switches.
- the score motor also gets a signal to rotate from the reset relay and starts to move
- the impulse switch closes 5 times as the score motor rotates half a turn

- since those 4 D.U. open at zero switches are all closed (the score reels are at 1) and the reset relay switches in series with them are also closed, those 5 closures of the impulse switch complete a connection to each drum unit and makes each coil fire 5 times.

- this continues until the score reels read "0", at which point, the D.U. open at zero switches open, which blocks the pulses from the impulse motor switch, so the reels stop turning. They now sit at "0".

- When the score reels all read zero, the reset relay relaxes (not sure just how that happens yet), which stops telling the score motor to turn and returns that make/break relay switch near the purple X to the state as it's drawn.

Hopefully that makes sense, and if anyone sees anything wrong in that, please chime in.

I don't understand why the 10pt reset circuit is the only one without a reset relay switch in it....maybe someone could explain that to us.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

I'm looking at your previous post #44, trying to make sense of it. So the first thing you noticed - light is on when connected to purple X makes sense....the light should be on no matter what state any of the switches are in. So that's good.

The second about the green X - if the reset relay is not energized, and therefore the make/break switch is as drawn, then the light should be off no matter what the impulse-A switch and drum units zero switches are doing....so there's a problem there. It's acting as if the make/break switch on the reset relay is closed. So there's got to be a short somewhere between the purple and green X's. If that's true, then your observation makes sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paddock-10pt-du-stuck-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.