(Topic ID: 327327)

Pad printing images onto pinballs and other objects?

By timlah79

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pickle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tbl pins_small.png
bowling ball glo ball logo mockup_both_small.png
#1 1 year ago

I originally asked these questions here and here in the TBL threads but hopefully this topic will reach a wider audience.

Overall Question: Can anyone recommended a service that will do ad hoc "pad printing" for playfield mods? Specifically onto coated pinballs and/or the bowling pins used in TBL?

Pinballs:
I have a couple colored, kevlar coated 'glo-balls' (available here from Mezel Mods) that I want to make look like actual Brunswick bowling balls (for use as the TBL alley ball). I've attached a couple mock ups.

To do so, I'm looking for someone / a service I can send my glo-balls to who can pad print a white Brunswick logo + finger hole images onto them. The finger holes preferably would have some darker shading of the same color as the ball in the centers to show depth (as in my mockup) but even just white outlined circles would be fine.

I thought perhaps laser etching would be an option. So, I reached out to Lazer Designs. However, they said, "We are not able to laser in white on this, likely it would engrave and barely be able to be seen… pad printing may be the way you want to go, it is a bit outside what we could do."

bowling ball glo ball logo mockup_both_small.pngbowling ball glo ball logo mockup_both_small.png

Bowling Alley Pins:
My stock TBL bowling pins kept snapping, so I bought a set of 10 tougher nylon and thicker pins a while back from the mod couple (these are no longer in production AFAIK though): Re-designed bowling pin Set of 10

See attached photo of the stock pin on the left, the reinforced version on the right. The issue is the logo on the redesigned pins is pretty bad. The logos on mine look like 2 blue fingerprints (as you can see in the attached photo) and are higher than where the logo should be.

So, for all 10 of my pins, I'm looking for someone / a service who could a) "erase" the bad logo and b) replace it with the same, blue Brunswick logo used on the original TBL pins.

I reached out to Unique Pad Printing and while they said they could pad print the logo, I couldn't go with them for a few reasons. a) I'd have to send the pins with the old logo already "erased" (I don't know of a safe way to do this without ruining the coating/integrity of the pins themselves); b) They would need at least 11 pins since one would be scrapped and I only have 10 of them; and c) They quoted me around $400-$500 for the job. I'm down to pay for the service but that quote seems a bit unreasonable + the pins themselves already costed me >$200. Not to mention for reasons a & b it's a no-go anyway.

I tried creating and cutting out my own sticker/decal but it looked bad and would probably peel off over time.

I also looked into getting custom stencils made from them which I could then use to paint the balls myself. However, given how small the printed 'images' would need to be (like 0.5 inches), I think that would be riddled with human error in the end. Plus a clearcoat would need to be applied I think.

I know I could spend like $300 to upwards of $1000 to buy a manual pad printer and try to DIY both jobs myself, but I'd rather pay a professional.

I have all the needed hi-res images. If you or you know someone who may have the capabilities for either or both of these jobs, please let me know!

tbl pins_small.pngtbl pins_small.png

#2 1 year ago

Do you have a laser or inkjet printer? I wonder if printing onto waterslide decal film is an option? Using something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JG188TZ/

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from John_C:

Do you have a laser or inkjet printer? I wonder if printing onto waterslide decal film is an option? Using something like this: amazon.com link »

Yeah I have an inkjet printer. If you're speaking to printing the bowling pins decals, that wouldn't work since it's clear. I would still be in the position to have to "erase" the existing logos first. I had tried this white sticker paper (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IMAKYG) and while it worked to both cover the existing logo and print the blue accurate one, it was tough to cut / conform the sticker to the curvature of the pins and I could obviously see creases and edges of the paper itself. I suppose if I could figure out a way to use chemicals to safely strip the existing logo off the pins, I could then go with your waterslide decal film suggestion. So yes, that's a viable solution, thank you! But I still wonder if a decal of any sort is going to last or look very good.

For the pinballs, clear film wouldn't work since I want the logo to be white on those. Standard inkjet printers don't print white ink.

#4 1 year ago

Reach out to I believe Matt at Back Alley Creations…they do lots of custom mods and they can probably help you out with this.

Suggestions:
The pins you could do them yourself…just paint them white or off white and make a water slide decal. You can clear them after. One way to remove the existing image would be to sand/wet sand and see if it comes off…you would probably still have to paint after anyway as I bet the the image is stained into the plastic so I would just clean them up and paint them as is, decal, and clear them.

The Glo-balls may be more tricky….but again you could make water slide decals……a quality printer can do fine detail….just print extra in case it wears. I don’t know with a glow ball that you could/should clear it as I am not sure if it would affect it from glowing. It may be fine but no expert on clearing stuff that glows. Maybe someone else knows if clear is fine to use or take a spare one and clear it and see if it glows…I know those are not cheap so would hate waste one but sometimes you gotta try…maybe paint a small area and see if it still glows…

I am sure a solution is out there to get this done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 210.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pad-printing-images-onto-pinballs-and-other-objects and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.