7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Joker2415
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Joker2415:

Are these things that touchy on voltage?

No.

Quoted from Joker2415:

or do I have a deeper problem?

Yes.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Solenoid_Driver.2FRegulator_Test_Point_Values

The tolerance is 5 +/- .25 volts.

Before the hack, what did the aux lamps do when you ran the lamp test?

See if you can isolate the problem. If you disconnect the aux lamp driver board, does everything else work right--other than the stuff on the aux lamp driver?

You know, this is all probably going to come down to a bad connector somewhere...but try and act surprised. You're probably going to need to reflow the headers on the mpu and aux lamp driver boards, if you haven't already--and if you have, then recheck your work. Always recheck your last repair when problems come up.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Joker2415:

In lamp test, I have no GI's, Or maybe I'm calling them the wrong name? The above play field lighting. The red in the pac maze was all mixed up. not really following any pattern. And a couple under the play field lights weren't working.

Ok, so GI means General Illumination -- the lamps that are always on, and not MPU controlled. So we're probably not talking about those for this problem. For lamps that the MPU controls, I just call them 'controlled' lamps.

So to get back to basics, the lamp test, slowly flashes every controlled lamp. Here's what I'd do.
Disconnect the suspect bad board (aux lamp driver). Run lamp test. See if all the std lamp board lamps are flashing (if only a handful are not working, that's not unusual, and can be fixed later, after the bigger problems are solved).

Then disconnect the std lamp board, connect the aux lamp board, repeat lamp test, see what it does.

If no lamps flash, then maybe there's something wrong with the aux lamp board.

If the data coming from the MPU is in question, then the only thing I can think of is to use the LEON test ROM (this cycles all the I/O lines slowly so you can verify them with a probe), and make sure all PIA outputs are working correctly. Maybe someone else will have a better idea. But its hard to troubleshoot a problem, if you're not confident that the MPU is working correctly.

If you rebuilt the MPU, then the best thing to do, IMO, would be to verify all the I/O with the test ROM first.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 10.00
$ 90.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 199.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pacmaze-and-gi-problems?tu=kenh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.