Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5a2f396db701a1ae418653e1923d4721 (resized).jpg
BF304585-D12C-403C-AA3C-79C5E2180659.jpeg
20200825_184723 (resized).jpg
20200825_184714 (resized).jpg
314B6F76-60D4-4F77-8CC9-F4F9FD3AB039 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Just wondering if there are any red flags when buying a pachinko machine? The one I’m looking at is a Nishijin Power Flash. The seller has it listed as not working stating they dont know how to get it to work (appears to be a pick find as they sell other antiques), there are a few balls there but I was under the impression that it had to be filled with them or the machine wont work also no key. Doesn’t appear to have water damage, also I can’t tell if the pins are bent from the angle of the picture but if some are I’m assuming it’s a pass?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from AvngRHulk:

Just wondering if there are any red flags when buying a pachinko machine?

Yes, it's a pachinko machine. Red flag #1

Sorry, just don't think those are worth much if anything.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Yes, it's a pachinko machine. Red flag #1
Sorry, just don't think those are worth much if anything.

I know they aren’t worth much as there were tons of them available, I’m more so buying it to have playable art if that makes sense plus my dad likes them.

#4 3 years ago

They are more of a decorative noise maker with lights. Fun for 10 minutes honestly. With that said IF your going to get one don't bother with any that are not 100% complete and working. There are hundreds of these available for Cheap and not worth fixing if there not. See these for $100 all the time.

#5 3 years ago

Is it an electronic one or the old fashioned type ?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from OCD_pinball:

Is it an electronic one or the old fashioned type ?

Old fashioned, I believe mid 70s

#7 3 years ago

The only ones worth getting (IMO) are the later ones with video screens.
Years ago traded some juke box parts a guy needed for one of these
pachinko's where a Japanese cutie dropped her kimono lower
as points were scored. THAT deserved a spot in the game room!
Steve

#8 3 years ago

What’s that one called lol, I’m sure my dad would get a kick out of it

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Fun for 10 minutes honestly.

Yup, gameroom oddities, just like slot machines. And yes, I have a slot machine in one of my gamerooms. I like it because of theme, not because of play.

#10 3 years ago

500 balls minimum to play reasonably well, or you'll be reloading balls too often.

Make sure the ball chute cover is there, if not balls will start popping out of the track when hopper is fully loaded. It's usually a small plastic piece maybe 1 1/2 inches by 6 or 7 inches long, right AFTER the ball track does it's first 180 degrees after leaving the hopper.

#11 3 years ago

Lots of info here:
https://pachitalk.com/forums/

#12 3 years ago

I have a LOTR pachinko and it's fun for guests when they come over.

#13 3 years ago

I have this one. It has three reels and a video screen. It’s fun when the specials light up in the video screen. It’s a nice addition to a game room, but not the only game. Good luck with your search.

314B6F76-60D4-4F77-8CC9-F4F9FD3AB039 (resized).jpeg314B6F76-60D4-4F77-8CC9-F4F9FD3AB039 (resized).jpeg

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I have this one. It has three reels and a video screen. It’s fun when the specials light up in the video screen. It’s a nice addition to a game room, but not the only game. Good luck with your search.
[quoted image]

That’s a nice 2 in 1

#15 3 years ago

Don’t worry about bent pins. They’re bent on purpose to adjust the chance of winning and can be easily adjusted. In Japan, there are “masters” who make a lot of money to adjust pins, sometimes on 100’s of machines every day based on the winning percentage the day before.

#16 3 years ago

Red flags are missing parts, bad water damage, and significant rust. No big deal is clearing jambs, buying new balls, replacing broken plexi, and dusting everything off.
A Power Flash is a specialty Nishijin pachinko that is worth a bit more than your standard Nishijin. It is also more complex (multiple powered tulips) and therefore may need more attention to get it working. You can read about a typical Power Flash model here: https://www.pachitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?39333-Power-Flash-Super-Deluxe.
The next step up would be an early modern hanemono which has music and mechs. Example:

The tier above hanemono would be anything with a screen.
The modern ones are BONKERS:

The cheapest place I've found to order pachinko balls is here: https://clovercollectables.com/products/japanese-pachinko-balls-500

#17 3 years ago

Thanks so much for that info

#18 3 years ago

Just don't. They seem like they would be fun, but they are REALLY LOUD and nothing like a pinball machine. Almost no strategy at all.

#19 3 years ago
20200825_184714 (resized).jpg20200825_184714 (resized).jpg20200825_184723 (resized).jpg20200825_184723 (resized).jpg
#20 3 years ago

Had a refurbed Nishijin from the Wards catalog back in the '70s. Hours and hours of fun!

#21 3 years ago

I have one. I enjoyed fixing it more than playing it.

BF304585-D12C-403C-AA3C-79C5E2180659.jpegBF304585-D12C-403C-AA3C-79C5E2180659.jpeg
#22 3 years ago

Here’s a great video on the Nishijin model A.

#23 3 years ago

My 2 cents. i have a newer one with a video screen, its fun, but there isn't much skill. You turn the know and as long as you hold it there the balls will continue launching at approx the same power. When i was younger i had an uncle that had one that you manually pushed the lever to launch a ball, that seemed like there was more skill involved. But there would be lots less lights and such. This is the one that i have, but not my picture.

5a2f396db701a1ae418653e1923d4721 (resized).jpg5a2f396db701a1ae418653e1923d4721 (resized).jpg Added over 4 years ago:

That should say turn the knob, not know...

#24 3 years ago

The older ones are really boring.

I have a Star Wars Vader one that is kinda cool with a 3D LCD screen and some animatronics.

Apparently Jared has it also! I went to find a video of it and his came up:

1 week later
#25 3 years ago

I am the founder of the North American Pachinko Club on Facebook. I own 4 machines at the moment, they are a LOT of fun.

Insane features and light shows. Not much skill needed (they are gambling machines in Japan). I would look at them as a ultra advanced, interactive part of Japanese culture in your own home...

I have also figured out how to make wall mounted wooden cases for them, the light shows in modern Japanese pachinko are second to none. You can normally score the machines for $500-$1200 depending on the title and features. A great conversation piece.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

You can normally score the machines for $500-$1200 depending on the title and features.

It use to be $200-300 for the newest machines 10 years ago when there were a couple of volume importers. Too bad shipping to the US is so expensive. I lived in the UK for a few years and bought barely used machines off of Yahoo Japan for around $50 through a broker who would ship them to my door for < $200.

#27 3 years ago

I have both the old school mechanical, and the newer electronic machines. I prefer the old school models. I feel like there is more skilled involved in playing them. To each his own...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pachinko-before-i-buy?hl=silverstreak02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.