Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Eddie
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I have been digging into this lately and some of the stuff really impresses me. The Matrix pachinko and a few others have a few layered LCD screens to give depth for 3 dimensions. I am really impressed with the animation on these games as well. I liked Wizard of Oz but the animations feel flat and lacking energy in comparison to some of these pachinkos. The Matrix has layered LCD like i mentioned earlier and led light and moving parts like a cell phone that pops out when called. I don't think it would hurt to just dump the traditional pinball even if they don't look as nice when off. Imho, this where pinball backglasses should be or would have been had the industry been as funded as the pachinko industry is in Japan. If I was running a pinball company, I think I would farm out my backbox animations and art to a pachinko company or hire on some guys with pachinko experience. It is like you have two very similar industries that diverged 15 years ago and for whatever reason the one that lagged behind never thought to learn or copy what its cousin had been doing for awhile already. These machines are all years old and they do their displays, animation, and lighting better than pinball. We get excited over color changing LEDs in WOZ and ST but that shits been done for awhile already in Japan.

Here are some of my favorites:

Matrix (watch the cell phone and machine gun that pops out during fever mode)

Tom and Jerry

Star Wars

Ultraman

Yamato 2

Back to the Future

Cute Honey

Woody Wood Pecker

Jurassic Park (watch for the dinosaur eye that moves around the hole to look at you)

Macross (cool as hell)

Superman

Tom and Jerry (one hell of a beautiful machine)

Wizard of Oz for comparison

#2 9 years ago

No response?

I thought just the video on the Matrix would generate discussion and that is a 4 year old machine. So, it is the same vintage as IM.

#3 9 years ago

Matrix is just absurd.. I wish I could find one and not have to pay 600+ for it.

We've had a few pachinkos, I've even dabbled in repair for them. The last one I had, I actually figured out how to enable free play with a simple wire jumper and no longer needed the dummy dongle! That was nice, as it was sold a few days later.

We still have one, my kid broke it then insisted we keep it, and I have no bloody idea how the hell to fix it. It needs a new LCD screen but the bigger issue is that he jacked up the tension spring for the kicker arm. =\

#4 9 years ago

If you're older like me and like Ultraman check this one out. About the 10 min mark will give you a good feel about how far advanced pachinko video and lighting is vs. pinball. $100's of millions of gambling profits drives a lot of innovation. There may be miles of wire in a Stern but there are a lot more parts and electronics in a modern pachinko. But pinball requires skill and is far more fun.

#5 9 years ago

I have four of them. Started fixing these before getting into pinball. First I built a MAME, then pachinko, now pinball.

Even the older models have a great light show(Western and Thunderzone). The other two are newer but still old (Star Wars and Rogue Galaxy) and have an even better show. The recent ones look amazing but pachinko is pachinko...nobody ever really plays them during a get together.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

If you're older like me and like Ultraman check this one out. About the 10 min mark will give you a good feel about how far advanced pachinko video and lighting is vs. pinball. $100's of millions of gambling profits drives a lot of innovation. There may be miles of wire in a Stern but there are a lot more parts and electronics in a modern pachinko. But pinball requires skill and is far more fun.
    » YouTube video

Is that some kind of attract or test thing? 25 minutes and not a single ball fired near as I could see...

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Is that some kind of attract or test thing? 25 minutes and not a single ball fired near as I could see...

They make promo videos to attract players and help sell machines. You can wire in a button to "spin the reels". Most apartments and homes are so small in Japan, that they take apart used machines to make desk top units with just the video and a few buttons for fans of the theme.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Industen:

I have four of them. Started fixing these before getting into pinball. First I built a MAME, then pachinko, now pinball.
    Even the older models have a great light show(Western and Thunderzone). The other two are newer but still old (Star Wars and Rogue Galaxy) and have an even better show. The recent ones look amazing but pachinko is pachinko...nobody ever really plays them during a get together.

I also have Thunderzone. Would still take it over almost any of the newer machines. No where near as fun as pinball, but also a fraction of the cost.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

I also have Thunderzone. Would still take it over almost any of the newer machines. No where near as fun as pinball, but also a fraction of the cost.

I do love Thunderzone. There is just something about it. The system 11's of the pachinko world.

#10 9 years ago

Put a set of flippers in that thing and i guaranty you won't be able to move them fast enough. I've owned two or three of these and they are fun. The problem i had with the last one which was a X-Files game is don't speak Japanese so i had no idea what was going or, for the most part. Exciting though..

#11 9 years ago

Were the early say 50s & 60s vertical pinball games always called Pachinko? In Australia I cannot recall that name being used in that era.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Put a set of flippers in that thing and i guaranty you won't be able to move them fast enough. I've owned two or three of these and they are fun. The problem i had with the last one which was a X-files game is don't speak Japanese so i had no idea what was going or, for the most part. Exciting though..

I know of one that has flippers but it is a very small play area. It is in high enough demand that you can buy a working EM for what it goes for. Some of the other games have joysticks as well. To me their art first and game play second. I would rather have a pachinko machine of ET on my wall than a nice movie poster but that is just me. I think most tend to drop in value pretty quickly as they get pushed out of shops in Japan. When I looked at the numbers, there isn't anything in the U.S. gambling wise that compares to pachinko in Japan.

#13 9 years ago

They make 100k's of machines a year from over a dozen manufacturers. There are probably over 100 different models introduced each year, usually with beautiful models at a launch party. They cost a few thousand or more new, but are mostly scraped after several months in the parlors. A few popular models can last much longer. Used ones go for a few hundred in Japan, but hard core pachinko players will buy new ones sometimes to learn the game. The programming is probably deeper than pinball with 1000s of scenerios on some machines. Pachinko is the largest industry from a revenue standpoint in Japan; bigger than cars. They can be pretty fun, more than just art, once you know what's going on and get deeper into the game. Like pinball, they're becoming more popular with the younger crowd as they make pachinko type bar-cades.

#14 9 years ago

I have a classic Nishijin wallmounted in my gameroom. I have always wanted to get IJ or SW in the digital kind of machine.

I have never found one to put time in on. Someday after I decide I like the newer kind of pachinko I will buy and mount one side by side.

Thanks for sharing

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

They make 100k's of machines a year from over a dozen manufacturers. There are probably over 100 different models introduced each year, usually with beautiful models at a launch party. They cost a few thousand or more new,s.

Actually they cost parlors $30+Thousand per machine new. You read that right.

How do I know ? I have seen Parlor invoices from major MFGs

Imagine what a $30,000 pin would be like?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Actually they cost parlors $30+Thousand per machine new. You read that right.
    How do I know ? I have seen Parlor invoices from major MFGs
    Imagine what a $30,000 pin would be like?

The only reason I thought they cost several thousand was because the online stores in Japan and Yahoo Japan sometimes have models that recently came out for sale at around that price. Like these:

http://japamart.com/auctool.php?url=http://category.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/list/2084046951/?p=%E3%83%91%E3%83%81%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B3%E5%AE%9F%E6%A9%9F&mode=1&tab_ex=commerce&select=02&n=100

But I guess the parlors pay a hefty premium to be the first to get the machines, and it doesn't surprise me that they cost a lot given all the computing power, licensing and profits involved. Never knew that I have a million dollars of pachinkos sitting in my attic

I remember you from Pachitalk about 10 years ago. Think I sold you a Maturi Apollo banner.

#17 9 years ago

Was that you ? LOL I look at it every night as its on the wall next to my bed right across from the machine!

Yes some machine sell for as high as $80,000 so we are rich LOL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pachinko-and-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.