(Topic ID: 299562)

pachinko and pachislo club

By cait001

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5223 (resized).jpeg
    i-img899x1200-1704696621zrvtun498631 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240417_084128_Facebook.jpg
    83A0B796-45A7-48EB-81EC-BEC21BD31C1E (resized).jpeg
    Lite-A-Line (resized).jpg
    IMG_0921 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0895 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0893 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230420_141629689 (resized).jpg
    20230218_232042 (resized).jpg
    20221222_195200 (resized).jpg
    35bbac602d414d09b44a7d2a31f10a46 (resized).jpg
    iaccess (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3345 (resized).JPG
    20221022_152700 (resized).jpg
    20221022_143711 (resized).jpg
    There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 1 year ago

Thanks, Art. I tried to get the owner to take an interior photo, but he didn't want to take the cover off. He claims only 750 games played, and complete functionality.

It's something I've never seen before, and reminds me a lot of the Seattle Center Arcade.

#102 1 year ago

Computer Pachinko is a standard playfield for the era. Upon inserting a coin a solenoid pulls and releases the balls (typically 16) into the feeder. There are microswitches for the 8 winning pockets, but perhaps less than 8 switches since the center features often feed to the same switch too, but really you'd just need one in the back track to count a ball coming in the winning tubes, as they all congregate on the backside.
    Balls that go into a winning hole get you 10 points. Balls that fall to the bottom go in to the bottom out-hole. All of the balls meet in their hopper.
    If you get a certain score (operator adjustable I assume,) you could press that Replay button for a free game. It has the same effect as inserting another quarter.
    It's pretty basic, but we have to remember how revolutionary an LCD display (IC! WOW!) would feel back in 1976.

For the longest time I thought Computer Pachinko was an effort to utilize the 70s machines that were being imported into North America by the ship-load, but that's not correct.

The earliest reference I've found so far was in 1976, and they were sold in the Japanese and American markets. I think they found a bit of a market for them in the NA since many more appeared here than equivalent machines of the same era in Japan.

here is a photo from a Japanese trade show, tail end of 76. Booth is operated by さとみ (Satomi), who had a brand name "Sammy" to appeal to Western audiences.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

this one was sold by ユニバーサルプレイランド (Universal Playland [UPL]) in 1977 (manufacturers would also often sell machines from other companies in that era, so probably still a Satomi-made machine)

Pachinko was hot in Japan (the gambling kind of pachinko that pay out balls,) but the arcades there also had a long history of pachinko-style machines that would pay out prizes and tokens if got a certain score.
    Computer Pachinko is one of the few that gives you a score and nothing else. No payout mech at all, but you could win a Replay.
    The fact all you'd have to do to convert them is change/adjust the coin mech probably made them enticing to import, but that's pure speculation on my part. Japan runs on 100 V and most of their electronics are engineered well and still work fine on North America's voltage.

Computer Pachinkos are a GREAT addition to any gameroom, especially if you don't want to mess with traditional parlor machines and ball management. They take quarter and can normally be had for like $150 (or under) USD for a fully working and good shape one.

Here is a photo from 1976-06 Replay Magazine:

In California they were sold by a company called Amutech:

There were also many outfits that copied the Satomi success and took other pachinko machines and slapped them into coinop cabs for the North American audiences, especially amongst West Coast audiences like British Columbia and California.

#103 1 year ago

Wow, Caitlyn, thanks for the detailed run-down. The game I showed above is a Sammy, like that in your trade show photo. It is for sale for $75 about an hour from where I live.

Is it a reasonable presumption to think a functioning game will go on fuctioning? I'm guessing that schematics and board parts are hard to come by after all these years.

#104 1 year ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

Wow, Caitlyn, thanks for the detailed run-down. The game I showed above is a Sammy, like that in your trade show photo. It is for sale for $75 about an hour from where I live.
    Is it a reasonable presumption to think a functioning game will go on fuctioning? I'm guessing that schematics and board parts are hard to come by after all these years.

$75 is a fair price. If they can't plug it in try for $50. The boards don't have batteries IIRC so unless someone messed with it 90% chance it still works fine. These machines didn't get a tonne of usage outside the 70s.
    If anything is wrong with the board, I would guess you could bug a local tech with a test bench and swap a few components and get it to 100%. The circuitry is rather simple, even with no schematic to go off. But chances are it's fine.

#105 1 year ago

Thanks again!

#108 1 year ago

Eddie does amazing work, I highly recommend subscribing to his channel!

I've been following for years

#109 1 year ago

Thanks, Caitlyn!

More info than my memory from those years!

One of the more "homebrew" attempts, rewarded balls, but ran into issues, without a bottom tray...too much clogging on the back tray.

The bowling Alley is my favorite, and I still have it, from my 1975/6 Job at the company.

#110 1 year ago

What can you tell me about this machine. Is it worth having? What would one cost?

0A0DA6F8-E018-4DC5-B15B-AC7052EC7922 (resized).jpeg0A0DA6F8-E018-4DC5-B15B-AC7052EC7922 (resized).jpegE789F15C-9CD8-4918-BDED-D4DD97F74871 (resized).jpegE789F15C-9CD8-4918-BDED-D4DD97F74871 (resized).jpeg
    #111 1 year ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

What can you tell me about this machine. Is it worth having? What would one cost?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Julie Pinball isn't an exceptionally novel machine of its era but the theme makes it highly desirable. Machines from that era are plentiful and theme is king.
    Generally games like that would be $150-$250 but that one might fetch more like $400 since everyone wants them as decor. This is a pinball site though so prices like that are rounding errors here
    Flippers on it are just decorations. It has a video screen and then a small mechanical jackpot area.
    You can see video of most machines one YT

If you can get one go for it!

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Julie Pinball isn't an exceptionally novel machine of its era but the theme makes it highly desirable. Machines from that era are plentiful and theme is king.
    Generally games like that would be $150-$250 but that one might fetch more like $400 since everyone wants them as decor. This is a pinball site though so prices like that are rounding errors here
    Flippers on it are just decorations. It has a video screen and then a small mechanical jackpot area.
    You can see video of most machines one YT

If you can get one go for it!

The machine also has a small pinball playfield and during reaches a pop bumper rises up and you can shoot the balls at it with a pair of flippers on each opposing side.

#113 1 year ago

I got a Star Wars pachinko many moons ago. Great unique item for the game room (I also have 3 B/W dotmation slots which is also a nice addition to break up the other stuff). Ended up building my own cabinet for it. It's got a "V" feeder with clear plexi front up top and a collection box at the bottom with a clear front and drain hole. I'd like to maybe add a lifter some day but never did that.

The cabinet has a computer type IDC power input with the voltage converter inside. There is a volume control knob mounted there as well. The whole thing mounts to the wall with a single cleat that I lag'd into the studs.

No I don't have plans. Just built it on my own from a sketch and plan in my head.

Jaz

IMG_20220727_143219 (resized).jpgIMG_20220727_143219 (resized).jpgIMG_20220727_143237 (resized).jpgIMG_20220727_143237 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #114 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

I got a Star Wars pachinko many moons ago. Great unique item for the game room (I also have 3 B/W dotmation slots which is also a nice addition to break up the other stuff). Ended up building my own cabinet for it. It's got a "V" feeder with clear plexi front up top and a collection box at the bottom with a clear front and drain hole. I'd like to maybe add a lifter some day but never did that.
    The cabinet has a computer type IDC power input with the voltage converter inside. There is a volume control knob mounted there as well. The whole thing mounts to the wall with a single cleat that I lag'd into the studs.
    No I don't have plans. Just built it on my own from a sketch and plan in my head.
    Jaz
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Nice job on the cabinet.

1 month later
    #115 1 year ago

Expert advice, please:

How does this game play? Is the player shooting for the 7 dark circles across the center feature? If so, do they pass through into the back of the machine somehow and reappear through the small hole at the bottom right of the "playfield"?

AussiePin (resized).jpgAussiePin (resized).jpg
    #116 1 year ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

Expert advice, please:
    How does this game play? Is the player shooting for the 7 dark circles across the center feature? If so, do they pass through into the back of the machine somehow and reappear through the small hole at the bottom right of the "playfield"?
    [quoted image]

This is an allwin, from the UK. Old penny goes in, a ball is released. Get it in a Win cup and you turn he knob to receive coin winnings and the ball is released again for another shot.
    Way less complex than even basic 70s pachinkos.
    The center 5 cups are probably Win, and the outside holes Lose.

#117 1 year ago

Thanks a lot, Caitlyn. As it turns out, someone bought it before I could get the owner to reply to a query.

I appreciate the information!

#118 1 year ago

p.s. Sorry about our baseball team eliminating your baseball team....

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

p.s. Sorry about our baseball team eliminating your baseball team....

It's October, too cold for baseball.
    And I might know who bought that allwin, could be wrong though.

#120 1 year ago

I thought it was interesting that this particular allwin was "dressed up" - no rocketship graphics, no candybars to dispense and a fancy bit of wood scrollwork as a topper. Almost like they hoped to hide it among the wooden furniture.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

I thought it was interesting that this particular allwin was "dressed up" - no rocketship graphics, no candybars to dispense and a fancy bit of wood scrollwork as a topper. Almost like they hoped to hide it among the wooden furniture.

the funky images and candybar dispensing was mostly from the 50s. Based on the design alone I'd wager this one was from the 30s. The gilding is an old tradition from the French allwins that preceded the British ones, but much of the decoration was stripped away (generally speaking, in comparison) in UK production, especially during the times when war scarcity meant recycling old materials and such.

#122 1 year ago

Ah, the French - of course! My friend just sold one of these Renault 4CVs from the post war period. If you look closely at the front of the rear fender, there's a beautiful metal casting to beautify the air inlet for the rear engine!

4cv (resized).jpeg4cv (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #123 1 year ago

Found a small Pachinko Parlor today near Boulder City, Nevada. Not authentic though as smoking isn't allowed...

20221022_143646 (resized).jpg20221022_143646 (resized).jpg20221022_143654 (resized).jpg20221022_143654 (resized).jpg20221022_143711 (resized).jpg20221022_143711 (resized).jpg20221022_152700 (resized).jpg20221022_152700 (resized).jpg
    #124 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Found a small Pachinko Parlor today near Boulder City, Nevada. Not authentic though as smoking isn't allowed...
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow I wish there was one in Florida. I’d like to try some of the newer machines.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

So here's some pics of my current pachinko and pachislo lineup. Some of these are incredibly rare and highly collectible (namely Addams Family, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Horror Mansion), so I probably won't ever let those go, but my lineup changes from time to time, and right now I'd let Popeye and Neo Magic Pulsar go if anyone is interested. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.
    Some may be hard to see the names of, but in order they are: Fever Ghost, Addams Family, Popeye, Tom and Jerry, The Grudge, Horror Mansion, The Ring, Silent Hill, Death Valley, Neo Magic Pulsar, Indiana Jones, Looney Tunes, and The Omen.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Addams Family machine is incredible!

1 week later
    #126 1 year ago

a little something for the Bally heads: a prototype derby arrangeball seemingly made for USA markets!!!!
    http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2022/11/winners-circle-bally-prototype.html

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Addams Family machine is incredible!

Yes, it's definitely one of the best ones out there. Supposedly they were to be destroyed after being pulled from location, so that would seem to explain why they are so very rare.

#128 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

a little something for the Bally heads: a prototype derby arrangeball seemingly made for USA markets!!!!
    http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2022/11/winners-circle-bally-prototype.html

Definitely from the era when Pachinko machines were being exported from Japan to the USA. Bally purchased several used ones from The Pachinko Factory on Milwaukee Ave. in Niles. I saw them in the Service Department on a vist and asked aboot them.

#129 1 year ago

I was doing some EM pinball work for a friend of mine. When I was leaving, he showed me this in his garage and was pretty insistent I take it with me. I know nothing about it. It didn't have a power cord so I wired a new one to the transformer. Now it lights up and seems to play. Anyone know what this is or where I can find more information about it? When I load balls in the top, they all seem to feed right out, so I'm not sure what the point of that is.

IMG_3345 (resized).JPGIMG_3345 (resized).JPG
    #130 1 year ago
    Quoted from JRC6000:

I was doing some EM pinball work for a friend of mine. When I was leaving, he showed me this in his garage and was pretty insistent I take it with me. I know nothing about it. It didn't have a power cord so I wired a new one to the transformer. Now it lights up and seems to play. Anyone know what this is or where I can find more information about it? When I load balls in the top, they all seem to feed right out, so I'm not sure what the point of that is.
    [quoted image]

That is a hanemono type pachinko. One of the more fun style of you ask me. Getting a ball in the lower left or right cup will open the center for one pulse. Getting in the middle bottom will open for 2 pulse. Then ball going into center in v pocket starts a fever mode. Probably mid to late 90s I would guess. There is a ball lock lever somewhere on the back that needs to be closed in order for the balls to stay in upper tray

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Definitely from the era when Pachinko machines were being exported from Japan to the USA. Bally purchased several used ones from The Pachinko Factory on Milwaukee Ave. in Niles. I saw them in the Service Department on a vist and asked aboot them.

what year you think your memory was of?
    I'd love to get your opinion about the board work inside if you're very familiar with that era of Bally tech.

#132 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

what year you think your memory was of?
    I'd love to get your opinion about the board work inside if you're very familiar with that era of Bally tech.

1975 or '76. Bally Alley was SS and was already released. The transition of Flipper pins to SS was under development but not released. SS Slots came after pins due to Compliance timing.

#133 1 year ago

When I was a kid I really wanted a real pinball for Christmas but all my mom could afford was a Pachinko. The day I got it I tried polishing the front of the plastic 'glass' on it and thought I had ruined it, made it all foggy. Then my uncle figured out it was just a plastic film that the mfr. had placed over the actual plastic and he just peeled it off, whew! I played the hell out of that thing.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

1975 or '76. Bally Alley was SS and was already released. The transition of Flipper pins to SS was under development but not released. SS Slots came after pins due to Compliance timing.

the ICs on this prototype are mostly from 74, but some from 73, which means it was part of that really weird transitional time for Bally.

1 week later
    #135 1 year ago

Anyone here own or collect the more modern pachislos like Tekken 4, Jaws, Biohazard (Resident Evil), Silent Hill, Avengers, etc..? Thinking about adding a couple to my game room, but not sure about the longevity of these things as far as entertainment goes. They do a great job choreographing lights, some mechanical toys, and the video screen(s). Really flashy.

But when it comes to gameplay, it almost seems like a cross between playing slots and what's known as quick time events (ie. Dragon's Lair, Space Ace game mechanics). Not necessarily a bad thing, but I also wonder how long before these things generally get boring in the home environment.

#136 1 year ago

I have a Julie and Wanted pachinko. I enjoy both of them, but am glad I also have four pins. I think one pachinko by itself would get boring after awhile. Having said that I’d like to get a Star Wars pachinko to add to the collection.

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Red Dragon at Hoover Dam Lodge.

It's a chain, all the Red Dragons have a little room with pachinko machines in them. (They aren't "real" as in, they are the pachinko equivalent of free play, they aren't gaming devices. They're real machines but you can't gamble with them.)

#138 1 year ago

I have a couple more pachinko machines coming in, so I'm going to be selling my Popeye pachnko and my Neo Magic Pulsar pachislo machine. Attached are stock photos since I don't have any of my own on my phone right now, but I can certainly get some taken soon. They are both in great shape and work perfectly. Asking $250 each.

35bbac602d414d09b44a7d2a31f10a46 (resized).jpg35bbac602d414d09b44a7d2a31f10a46 (resized).jpgiaccess (resized).jpegiaccess (resized).jpeg
    #139 1 year ago
    Quoted from japespin:

Anyone here own or collect the more modern pachislos like Tekken 4, Jaws, Biohazard (Resident Evil), Silent Hill, Avengers, etc..? Thinking about adding a couple to my game room, but not sure about the longevity of these things as far as entertainment goes. They do a great job choreographing lights, some mechanical toys, and the video screen(s). Really flashy.
    But when it comes to gameplay, it almost seems like a cross between playing slots and what's known as quick time events (ie. Dragon's Lair, Space Ace game mechanics). Not necessarily a bad thing, but I also wonder how long before these things generally get boring in the home environment.

Yea they will get boring depending on what you're looking for. I also have a few slot machines and those get old to. I still go to them for a few minutes of entertainment here and there. They are also a hit when people come over. So, I look at them as a complement for a game room. Not a substitute for pins and vids.

Jaz

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from japespin:

Quoted from Jazman:

Yea they will get boring depending on what you're looking for. I also have a few slot machines and those get old to. I still go to them for a few minutes of entertainment here and there. They are also a hit when people come over. So, I look at them as a complement for a game room. Not a substitute for pins and vids.
    Jaz

I have 14 modern pachislos and pachinkos, and yes, they can get boring eventually. There are some really great ones out there though.

I 100% agree with Jaz. They aren't even remotely as fun as pins, but are a great addition to a game room for something different.

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

I look at them as a complement for a game room. Not a substitute for pins and vids

This is the way.
    They are Very Affordable additions to any game room, when guests come over they're often a hit, and can engage people who might not have interest in pins&vids since it's an aesthetic gambling experience.

#142 1 year ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

I have a couple more pachinko machines coming in, so I'm going to be selling my Popeye pachnko and my Neo Magic Pulsar pachislo machine. Attached are stock photos since I don't have any of my own on my phone right now, but I can certainly get some taken soon. They are both in great shape and work perfectly. Asking $250 each. [quoted image][quoted image]

I really need the room. Lowering the price to $200 each. Someone, add these to your game room!

#143 1 year ago

Just found this thread... I've got 6, which have mostly sat in my closet for years. I had a couple up on the wall in homemade cabinets for a long time, but moved a couple years ago and they've sat in bubble wrap in my garage.

Let me see... and I'm not sure these are the "real" names, I had to look in some posts to even remember.
    RoboCop
    Pink Panther
    Kung Fu Gal
    Crimson Fear
    Jungle King
    Festival Story

#144 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I just use a DIY ball lifter in the back so expelled balls can get sent back to the hopper.

Hey, I know this is a year after your post, but can you share any info on the lifter you made?

#145 1 year ago
    Quoted from Prydonian:

Hey, I know this is a year after your post, but can you share any info on the lifter you made?

I had too much difficulty with the ball lifter I had. It was a DIY assembly project, put designed by someone else. I took a chance on their prototype, but in the end I had too much trouble with it. If you were near me I'd happily pass you those parts for you to fix and finangle.
    But there are other ball lifter kits being made!

I am thinking of getting one of these machines, but in the past few months I haven't been in my game room much so I might wait much longer.

#146 1 year ago

I should probably add, if anyone is near Ottawa and wants my old pachinko ball lifter to tinker with, message me

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from Prydonian:

Just found this thread... I've got 6, which have mostly sat in my closet for years. I had a couple up on the wall in homemade cabinets for a long time, but moved a couple years ago and they've sat in bubble wrap in my garage.
    Let me see... and I'm not sure these are the "real" names, I had to look in some posts to even remember.
    RoboCop
    Pink Panther
    Kung Fu Gal
    Crimson Fear
    Jungle King
    Festival Story

Sounds like a great line up. I wish I was closer to help you set them up.

2 weeks later
    #148 1 year ago

I got my old pachislo machine out of storage finally. It's been sitting for a few years. Turned it on, everything seems fine. Except, I'm not sure if I have a hopper problem. Do you guys recall when you win a turn and it gives you credit, does it also spit out the same number of coins? Example: Win 10 credit. Spit out 10 coins too. I can hit the cash out button and they come out fine. I just could have sworn it dumped a few out win you got credits too. Am I crazy ?

I did reset a bunch of connections. Thinking maybe the motherboard wasnt tslking to the hopper correctly...Thanks for any help guys.

20221222_195200 (resized).jpg20221222_195200 (resized).jpg
    4 weeks later
    #149 1 year ago

Does anyone have a Star Wars pachinko they would like to sell?

4 weeks later
    #150 1 year ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

I got my old pachislo machine out of storage finally. It's been sitting for a few years. Turned it on, everything seems fine. Except, I'm not sure if I have a hopper problem. Do you guys recall when you win a turn and it gives you credit, does it also spit out the same number of coins? Example: Win 10 credit. Spit out 10 coins too. I can hit the cash out button and they come out fine. I just could have sworn it dumped a few out win you got credits too. Am I crazy ?
    I did reset a bunch of connections. Thinking maybe the motherboard wasnt tslking to the hopper correctly...Thanks for any help guys.
    [quoted image]

It will only spit out coins if you have 50 or more credits.

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pachinko-and-pachislo-club/page/3?hl=jrc6000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.