PXL_20231006_160616811 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231006_122658464 (resized).jpg
drained-bsreveal (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Drained Update (resized).png
PXL_20230520_144500265 (resized).jpg
IMG_3933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3931 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago

I expect this game development cycle to revert to the ~71 days of RitR. To be fair, I won't make this retroactive to when you started plotting things out with your family.

Welcome to Day 1 - GO!

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

...not enough... haha!
I'm finishing up a little coding exercise while I wait on my box o' parts and a replacement for the two sets of calipers that I've misplaced... off to a good start!
I did take the opportunity to upgrade my calipers to a digital model, so that should make my measurements more accurate.
The first version of the design has a small area that I expect will change dramatically. I'm attempting to figure out if a mech will fit or not... we'll see!

First off, as one of the biggest RitR fans EVAR, I'm super stoked that you're doing this Nick. And to be honest, I'm pretty pumped that you're doing a single-level game. I have a row of early Ballys (and TNA) and generally feel that single-level games don't get enough credit these days. Ramps don't inherently make the game. And, all this talk of mechs in addition to the single level has me really intrigued. Crossing my fingers for some sweet inline drops.

Congrats on getting this far; I'm really excited to follow along the journey (and eventually buy this of course)!

Oh, and try not to pick a license for this game that ends up ghosting you. I'd like to actually play this creation.

#29 2 years ago

What theme might be appropriate with a black, white and red color scheme?

This is your game development and your thread documenting it. You do you brother!

It takes a lot of time just to document the journey, not even speaking of the actual journey itself. Taking pictures, transferring them, uploading to the thread, and then typing out all the details you've undertaken is a PIA! I know you like doing this, but it's time-consuming and a courtesy to us that want to follow along.

I welcome ALL the tidbits, any damn way you want to provide them.

Black, white, and red on a single-level, huh? If the theme / art is anything like Centaur... Good Move Human!

2 weeks later
#88 2 years ago

It's neat to be able to rethink mechanisms that float over the screen. I thought I had a good idea, but it involved semi-traditional posts that would block/rebound the ball... since the whole thing has to attach above the playfield... why bother with all that? Haha
I've remodeled those posts, and I believe I have a good handle on how I will attach to the outside frame. Since ball strikes were part of the initial plan, I was dreading the amount of twist/torque placed upon the posts, even with appropriate rubber.
I'm leaving space for a circuit board, as there are several components involved.
Good news is that prototype printing times are reduced from 3.5 hrs to about 1.5 hrs (for these posts). The upper attachment plates will be separate models, ideally with a semi-traditional plastic over top of the circuit boards.

I've always thought floating lower-playfield components were a cool idea for the P3, but I've started to wonder what the impact on game swap time will be. As I view my own habits, I notice that the playfield swap, while quick and painless, still creates more of a barrier than Gerry's "Nintendo" analogy. I find myself more likely to play a secondary game on the currently installed playfield, or moving to another machine, than I am to swap a playfield in the middle of a play session.

Do you have a feel yet for what will be involved in adding/removing your floating component? I'm guessing it's connected similar to the habitrail returns, although your component will need power.

I know it's reasonably easy to remove the habitrail returns, but if I needed to connect/disconnect those to swap in a game because someone added some crazy ramp returns, it would just be another (minor) hurdle. I'm all for added playfield variety, I'm just curious if you've figured out what the impact will be on game swaps.

Can't wait to see what you're building.

7 months later
#171 1 year ago

Old school Castlevania-esque music. Very cool!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-module-join-me-in-development?tu=Cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.