PXL_20231006_160616811 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231006_122658464 (resized).jpg
drained-bsreveal (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Drained Update (resized).png
PXL_20230520_144500265 (resized).jpg
IMG_3933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3931 (resized).jpeg
There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 1 year ago

Thanks for all your updates, looks like a lot of time, work and money into this development. I look forward to seeing it all together.

#202 1 year ago

This is very exciting!

#203 1 year ago

Blank playfields 3 and 4 shipped!

#204 1 year ago

Received! That was super fast.

Thank you, @Cmartin1235!

I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

#205 1 year ago

Sample 3 has been assembled! Waiting on a metal piece to be remanufactured, then I should be able to start wiring all three sample games.

Also the cabinet head art has been completed, and cabinet body will start tomorrow.

Today I am testing a few additions from the weekend's programming and mulling over the addition of a new (virtual) insert once the vampire battle has started.

1 week later
#206 1 year ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

I have been spending time refining the code in various ways. The latest experiment involved turning both upper flippers on. I was very concerned about this when designing the game, as there was (at the time) only one upper flipper. The release of Weird Al gave a second upper flipper! I've been playing the game with both flippers enabled, all flippers on one side mapped to red buttons, and one handed play to ensure everything works as expected.

The geometry does support the upper flippers (in fact it makes the crucial gobble shot easier), but the game was not initially designed with upper flippers in mind. With this in mind, I've made upper flippers a per-profile option, and whether or not they are enabled by default will be a question for the beta testers.

With a LOT more playtime with the upper flippers enabled, I've determined that the game just won't work properly - long term - with them enabled.

Plastics could be redesigned and changes to the artwork, post placement, target placements, and more - but I think it's probably best to leave the game as it was originally designed.

I did have to scoop out a lot of custom handling of the upper flippers and messaging/scoring related to them, but I feel it's a better decision for the reliability/longevity of the game.

In completely unrelated news, I ordered myself a new plastic set...

Artwork is proceeding well, the lower cabinet artwork is on track to be finished this week. That means I can get the artwork over for quoting this week/end and have the artist focus on tightening up and creating the remaining digital assets. There's a final -physical- component that I have not yet begun to work on. That is the speaker panel artwork, which applies to new cabinet builds only. I feel that I can circle back around to this later on (closer to release).

I've also begun work on other promotional aspects. Some I know exactly what I'm doing, others I'll need to hire out. "Why start so early?", I hear you asking? Well, for a single creator/owner/operator, I want to make sure that any promotion fits within my budget and will show the game off well. I'm a text kinda person - if you've been following these updates, you know that's the case.

Not everyone is a text person. I need to hire someone with expertise in connecting with people through photos/video, with the equipment to do it well. That's going to require some conversation and time. I've been doing research into ballpark pricing and portfolios of several companies that I think could do the job.

Meanwhile... I have all of the electrical supplies either on order or received to start wiring. I can start laying out my final harnesses for almost all aspects of these samples this week!

The next unknown is packaging. For shipping the sample games, I will re-use the module boxes of games I've purchased from Multimorphic. But the unknown is how to adequately protect them in shipping without causing damage to plastics in the heat.

On the game front, in all the testing this past week, I found and fixed a variety of callout bugs in specific vampire battles, I found that I accidentally replaced one vampire callout's audio file (oops!), and found an incorrect handling of the bonus multiplier in one instance. The code feels really complete (aside from art+animations). I will be having a few local friends over to playtest and give opinions while I finish up the sample builds.

1 week later
#207 1 year ago

The largest piece of artwork in the game, the cabinet side art, will be complete today, and sent to the printer for review and scheduling.

Making several copies of the game has shaken out some supply chain issues, especially on the electrical side. As I mentioned in the last update, the final bits should be here this week, which will allow me to start testing the samples I've wired. I've found a few areas where dimples may need to be moved/added/removed. Still thinking about that.

I got the three samples all documented and wired in one day for switch commons, coils, and GI. The supplies arriving will allow for the 'switched' portion of the switches, and the RGB LEDs. The final module took much less than half the time of the first one.

I've added a new series of rules/animations/verbiage that impact the vampire battles and work really well (I think), and continue to polish the user experience.

Promotion work continues!

#208 1 year ago

woot woot! it's moving along nicely!

#209 1 year ago

Getting accurate backside dimples with a hobby CNC machine has proven tricky. If the dimples are a millimeter or two off for a quadrant of the board, the problem may be in a rotational misalignment, not the design.

#210 1 year ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Getting accurate backside dimples with a hobby CNC machine has proven tricky. If the dimples are a millimeter or two off for a quadrant of the board, the problem may be in a rotational misalignment, not the design.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions... I may not know enough to make the determination on whether to change yet.

1 week later
#211 1 year ago

Wow, a lot has happened in a week:

1) Cabinet physical artwork is at the printer for testers. Should pick up tomorrow and I cannot wait.
2) First promo item came in from France and it's awesome (I'll post some info soon).
3) Some promo items for my company have started arriving (I'll post some photos soon).
4) Ordered bound manuals for testers. There are a few things that need tweaking before production on those, but I wanted feedback.
5) All samples are wired. The documentation portion was a LOT more intense than I thought it would be, but now I can really crank out builds.
6) All samples are in testing now. I want to ensure that they not only function 100% but that I can play a number of games on them before sending them out.
7) Some continued tweaks to the code. It's feeling really nice (to me). Hopefully testers enjoy.
8) Started looking at shipping material for the sample modules. I'm reusing some shipping boxes from modules I've received for these. One of the great things about the modules is how easily they ship. I'm hoping to have all the modules tested and boxed by the end of the weekend.
9) Reorganized my build stations last night and cleaned out any empty anti-static bags and the like.
10) Completed an interview about Quest For Glory to be incorporated into an upcoming book.
11) Other promo work has continued, and I've found folks to hire with solid portfolios and competent communication (and prices that fall in my budget-ish).
12) The attract mode still background is almost complete. Once this is done, there are a few other key digital assets, then it's animation time! I've got animations storyboarded, but I can't draw AT ALL. Thankfully my artist is very patient.
13) I guess this goes without saying, but the external artwork has all been approved by Multimorphic, and should be near-final if not final.

I've also confirmed that I'll be at the York show this October 6-8th. All of my other P3 work (including Quest For Glory, making its first public appearance!) will be there in free play, along with the Multi-Bingo and Multi-Races. By request, I am bringing the 20 hole playfield for the Multi-Bingo, so if you give that a shot (and if you want one of the very limited promo items, you'll want to do so), expect a lot of math! Don't worry, I'll coach you through it. Anyway, I hope to see everyone there!!

I'll post again once the samples are sent, and will update as changes are required to code.

There are some other things happening in the background on this, but more will be revealed in time.

#212 1 year ago

Samples have shipped to beta testers, including full art packages. Assuming they all travel well, hopefully I will start receiving beta feedback at the end of this week.

Each module has been through a testing process that involves not only ensuring that all lamps, coils, and switches work properly, but playtesting a few dozen games in Drained and a handful each of Barnyard and Shoot n' Scoot to ensure that everything works appropriately.

Boxing up these samples involved reusing the boxes and packing foam (reshaped to fit Drained) from previous module purchases. The foam that worked best was that used for Cannon Lagoon. The shipping boxes for Multimorphic playfield modules are identically sized, so that, at least, was an easy decision.

In other news, we had visitors over yesterday, and the evening was spent playing the game - with players from 5 years old to their 70s. All had a great time and they all enjoyed the artwork, music, callouts, lighting effects and gameplay. The youngest players verbalized that a bit differently than the older ones (hitting the start button over and over to play just one more game).

The attract mode still background should be finished later this morning. Additional digital artwork will be updated throughout the week, and animation work will begin late this week or early next week. I'm also working on a few other game-related promo tasks.

#213 1 year ago

Samples have shipped to beta testers, including full art packages. Assuming they all travel well, hopefully I will start receiving beta feedback at the end of this week.
Each module has been through a testing process that involves not only ensuring that all lamps, coils, and switches work properly, but playtesting a few dozen games in Drained and a handful each of Barnyard and Shoot n' Scoot to ensure that everything works appropriately.
Boxing up these samples involved reusing the boxes and packing foam (reshaped to fit Drained) from previous module purchases. The foam that worked best was that used for Cannon Lagoon. The shipping boxes for Multimorphic playfield modules are identically sized, so that was an easy decision.
In other news, we had visitors over yesterday, and the evening was spent playing the game - with players from 5 years old to their 70s. All had a great time and they all enjoyed the artwork, music, callouts, lighting effects and gameplay. The youngest players verbalized that a bit differently than the older ones (hitting the start button over and over to play just one more game).
The attract mode still background should be finished later this morning. Additional digital artwork will be updated throughout the week, and animation work will begin late this week or early next week. I'm also working on a few other game-related promo tasks.

Can’t wait to see this thing!

#214 1 year ago

Thank you! I can't wait to show you!

There are so many ducks to get in a row, and as I line up 10, I discover another 10 need wrangling. I'm sorry to keep serving this word salad to you.

One of the testers received their module today! A few lessons learned on the packaging, but nothing catastrophic (thankfully!). Just some shifting where it was not expected.

Curious to see how the next one looks out of the box.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the website design right now, then I expect I'll be head down working on integrating beta feedback and digital art direction. The attract mode screen is gorgeous... but part of my direction wasn't followed, and it's created a problem with visibility. I spent some time with the artist today and we came up with a plan to (relatively) quickly correct the issue. Hopefully it works well.

Once that is done, it will be time to focus on a few of the digital assets that I've created as placeholders.

#215 1 year ago

More time passed, more progress:

1) Website complete.
2) Attract screen redrawn/replaced
3) Placeholder inserts redrawn
4) Tester feedback implemented (so far!).

The artist is now working on some of the assets related to one of the primary batches of animations.

This weekend, I also built a small series of displays (digital) with some simple animations and realtime countdown clocks to indicate when players should come back for the next game swap at shows.

#216 1 year ago

More time passed, more progress:
1) Website complete.
2) Attract screen redrawn/replaced
3) Placeholder inserts redrawn
4) Tester feedback implemented (so far!).
The artist is now working on some of the assets related to one of the primary batches of animations.

When does the website go live?

#217 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

When does the website go live?

It will go live when I've got an idea of when the game will be for sale or when I do a full art/game reveal (whichever comes first, but realistically those will go hand-in-hand).

Filming/photoing is really important, and I want the animations to be further along before that process begins.

I'll have a small teaser to post shortly... stay tuned!

#218 1 year ago

Every year at the York show, I run a giveaway for those that do well in Bingo Row. In years past, I've given away books about bingo pinball signed by the author, t-shirts and limited art prints with the logo of Bingo Row, keychains with the Multi-Bingo logo, tokens from Multi-Races, and more.

This year, I wanted to do a little promo work for Drained and continue the streak of giving away something really limited and special. I commissioned a company in France to cut a record postcard that includes a medley/slice of several tracks from Drained! I'm really excited about these!

These are extremely limited. If anyone here would like one and cannot attend the York show, shoot me a PM and if there are any left over, I'll set one aside for you. No guarantees, and first come, first served.

Here's your first look at some of the game's art!

PXL_20220803_031806116 (1) (resized).jpgPXL_20220803_031806116 (1) (resized).jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/imuc6RTtmex5Jsus5

https://www.vinylpost.co/sounds/NB3TC/

#219 1 year ago

Very Edward Gorey PBS Mystery intro, great design choice.

1 week later
#220 1 year ago

Testing continues, I've continued to integrate feedback from the testers and continued to review my own work and attempt to improve and polish things to a mirror shine.

I have a list which grows shorter by the day.

Beta testing feedback has been very positive, which is really exciting (for me)!

Quoted from ecurtz:

Very Edward Gorey PBS Mystery intro, great design choice.

Thank you! I look forward to hearing the reaction to the full reveal.

#221 1 year ago

Testing continues, I've continued to integrate feedback from the testers and continued to review my own work and attempt to improve and polish things to a mirror shine.
I have a list which grows shorter by the day.
Beta testing feedback has been very positive, which is really exciting (for me)!

Thank you! I look forward to hearing the reaction to the full reveal.

HUGE Gorey fan here. I can't wait to see this game. Nick, are you bringing this to York?

#222 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can't wait to see this game. Nick, are you bringing this to York?

Thank you - I can't wait to show you!

I want to have the reveal materials complete before a public showing, though.
So if I'm able to get everything prepped and edited before York, it could happen. It's very unlikely, though.

I am bringing Quest for Glory, Flipper Foxtrot, Ranger In The Ruins, and Silver Falls on the P3, and the Multi-Bingo and Multi-Races, so lots of other Nick Baldridge games to try out while you wait for this one.

#223 1 year ago

Beta feedback has continued, but thankfully nothing earth-shattering has been found.

I've started integrating more and more digital artwork into the game.

I also reached out to several operator friends to see what kind of audits they would like to see and have implemented some of these to make their lives easier if they choose to route this game at some point.

I've also added more clarity to the Drained owner's manual on certain points, particularly pertaining to the added/changed audits.

As things have progressed really well with the beta (way better than usual, actually), I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to send it off to Multimorphic for review. I would still like some more animations added before then, so it's a bit of a balancing act as it is difficult to pin down an exact delivery date on some items.

#224 1 year ago

Beta feedback has continued, but thankfully nothing earth-shattering has been found.
I've started integrating more and more digital artwork into the game.
I also reached out to several operator friends to see what kind of audits they would like to see and have implemented some of these to make their lives easier if they choose to route this game at some point.
I've also added more clarity to the Drained owner's manual on certain points, particularly pertaining to the added/changed audits.
As things have progressed really well with the beta (way better than usual, actually), I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to send it off to Multimorphic for review. I would still like some more animations added before then, so it's a bit of a balancing act as it is difficult to pin down an exact delivery date on some items.

Amazing progress, once I get my machine, is there a list I can get on for being a potential beta tester for future titles as I would love the opportunity to help\contribute and put my detailed OCD skills\talent to good use.

Congrats again.

#225 1 year ago

Thank you! I do have a list of potentially interested testers that I'll add you to.

#226 1 year ago

Thank you! I do have a list of potentially interested testers that I'll add you to.

Awesome and thanks, happy to help in anyway I can

1 week later
#227 1 year ago

Another week and more feedback integrated. I have added some more digital graphics and onscreen animations and interactive elements, more Twitch-connect functionality, and more easter eggs.

Things are progressing well and I suspect the attract animation (which should be the final animation) work will begin in a few weeks.

1 week later
#228 1 year ago

Things are still on track! More digital artwork is being integrated, some of which requires new programming, but all handled easily.

This coming week should include more of the remaining punchlist of artwork prior to the attract mode animation assets. I suspect that in two weeks I will have all of the remaining artwork complete and integrated in the game/animated.

#229 1 year ago

Things are still on track! More digital artwork is being integrated, some of which requires new programming, but all handled easily.
This coming week should include more of the remaining punchlist of artwork prior to the attract mode animation assets. I suspect that in two weeks I will have all of the remaining artwork complete and integrated in the game/animated.

Eagerly sitting back and waiting in anticipation.

Thanks for all you do and can’t want to get my P3 and add this module\game and I’m sure many additional games will be created using this module.

Have a great and safe weekend.

#230 1 year ago

Thank you so much @Pinball_Eddie! I'm hopeful that people like it once it is shown.

Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Have a great and safe weekend.

I hope you do the same!

#231 1 year ago

Today the final pieces of art for the attract mode animation should be returned. Beta testing has been continuous since sample modules were received by testers. Once I have the final parts of the animation rigged, a 'final call' on beta testing will occur, then I'll move the software to release candidate status.

At that point, I'll send Multimorphic a copy of the module for review. The software will be as complete and polished as I believe it should be upon retail release.

I'm concurrently working on the marketing. I've begun work on a flyer, and have refined storyboards and angles needed for the video/photos.
Now that all assets are in the game, I can actually work on getting that video produced while I incorporate any suggestions/changes from Multimorphic.

#232 1 year ago

What's the typical agreement between Multimorphic and third party developers? When is a review by Multimorphic needed?

#233 1 year ago

Is is a go to have on hand at the York show?

#234 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

What's the typical agreement between Multimorphic and third party developers?

You'll want to speak with Multimorphic for contractual details.

Quoted from clempo:

When is a review by Multimorphic needed?

A review is needed before wide release. All of my commercial games have gone through the review process.

#235 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

Is is a go to have on hand at the York show?

It will not make the York show this year. I want the game announcement/reveal marketing released prior to public showing. It should be getting over to Multimorphic for review about the time York starts.

However, the other games I've made will be there, and I will too! You'll still be able to win a vinyl postcard for Drained, if you like, which will hopefully tide you over until the game is officially announced.

#236 1 year ago

I don't know if you've addressed it at some point, but since you are the first 3rd party module developer I'm curious if this will be sold through MM store or through you directly?

#237 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I don't know if you've addressed it at some point, but since you are the first 3rd party module developer I'm curious if this will be sold through MM store or through you directly?

Once Multimorphic has approved (fingers crossed!) the module and software, then we will review contractual terms, including specifics of sales.

#238 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

All P3 games are distributed through the MM store; they perform the game builds using a bot, and once your P3 machine is tagged to the game, it becomes available for you to download.

#239 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

they perform the game builds using a bot, and once your P3 machine is tagged to the game, it becomes available for you to download.

A difference with full modules - the software is not built on demand or tied to specific hardware. Owning the module hardware is your 'key' to playing the game.

#240 1 year ago

A difference with full modules - the software is not built on demand or tied to specific hardware. Owning the module hardware is your 'key' to playing the game.

Aah! Good point. So this would apply to 'Drained'

#241 1 year ago

It will not make the York show this year. I want the game announcement/reveal marketing released prior to public showing. It should be getting over to Multimorphic for review about the time York starts.
However, the other games I've made will be there, and I will too! You'll still be able to win a vinyl postcard for Drained, if you like, which will hopefully tide you over until the game is officially announced.

Great, it will be nice to meet you and see the games. I have a year wait for my P3 to be built, so this will only amp things up for me

#242 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

Great, it will be nice to meet you and see the games. I have a year wait for my P3 to be built, so this will only amp things up for me.

I look forward to meeting you! See you in... a couple weeks!

#243 1 year ago

So excited for this and to get my P3 and join the club\family.

Also can’t wait till my little one gets a little older and be able to go to some of these shows, expos and tournaments.

Hope everyone is doing well.

1 week later
#244 1 year ago

I've moved the software to release candidate status (as previously scheduled), and have been actively working on marketing since.

I'm just about ready to send the module to Multimorphic to review, but I've -also- been prepping for the York show!

Reminder that the White Rose Gameroom Show is happening in York, PA next week(!) October 7-8.

I will be on hand with all of my P3 games, homebrew and commercial, released so far, including:

(Homebrew) Quest For Glory in its first public appearance! Play, save your progress, come back and resume your game later! Earn achievements and try to finish the game with all three character classes!

(Commercial) Ranger In The Ruins - the popular pinball roguelike playable on the Cosmic Cart Racing playfield. Run through the ruins of a former civilization to find the sum of all knowledge, acquiring items from the ghosts of past players from all over the world!

(Commercial) Silver Falls - choose your avatar from dozens of choices, furnish rooms, and clear special modes to progress through your home! Play Team Games with other attendees to make more progress and hear more of the excellent Scott Danesi chillhop soundtrack!

(Commercial) Flipper Foxtrot Rhythm Explosion - sometimes the P3 just wants to dance! Choose a song, and one of five difficulties, then show me your skills! Happy to play a game against you and see how I stack up.

I will have a TV display (this is my first year trying this, so we'll see how it holds up) with a countdown timer showing when the game will be changed over. Come back often!

--Non-P3 Games--

I also work with bingo collectors and help maintain and teach people about bingo pinball machines in Bingo Row. As part of that I'll be bringing two custom games.

(Homebrew) Multi-Bingo - 142 playable games, total, this year with a 20 hole playfield installed (which limits the number of games to 15, but they are very unique).

(Homebrew) Multi-Races - 39 playable games, total, a mixture of payout and replay versions. This is the first year it will be shown with Joel de Guzman's excellent backglass artwork! Win a custom token that you can keep!

Earning a 4 or 5 in a line on any of the games in Bingo Row will allow you to win a unique promo item for Drained. This game will not make an appearance this year, but I'll be bringing a very limited number of vinyl postcards containing a medley of the songs from the game! These postcards can be played on a record player, and include a QR code for streaming.

Beyond all of the games, I'm looking forward to meeting more of you and hearing your thoughts about the games I've made. It's very rewarding to be able to share a creative work with many people. Please say hello!

2 weeks later
#245 1 year ago

It was great to meet some of you and share some of the games I've made with you at York!

Meanwhile, Drained work has continued apace! Prior to and after my return from York, I've been working to get additional promotional material completed (with professional assistance). I'm currently adding more photos to the website, and hope to have that editing complete this week.

I'll be sending the module out to Multimorphic for review as soon as I confirm that all promo material has been filmed and photoed to my satisfaction, and the satisfaction of the professionals working on those projects.

There are some dates which are a bit nebulous at the moment - as I get the final nails in the coffin, so to speak, I'll be sure to post here!

#246 1 year ago

Nails in the coffin, stakes in the heart.

#247 1 year ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Nails in the coffin, stakes in the heart.

Hahaha, that’s a great line

2 weeks later
#248 1 year ago

Happy Halloween, to those who celebrate.

Things are moving along, very quickly now, towards release.

1 week later
#249 1 year ago

https://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/episode-473-interview-with-charles-wolf-composer-for-drained

Drained is the latest game from For Amusement Only Games, and will be releasing soon.

I wanted to discuss the creation of the soundtrack for the game with the composer, Charles Wolf.

Charles has composed music in many different styles and types for a huge array of projects. He is a very positive and professional collaborator, and I had great fun working with him on the sound design for Drained! I can't wait for you all to hear it!

We discuss his background, method of composing for Drained, the difference between creating sound effects when compared to full musical tracks, and some of his other works.

Intro: Drained Attract music.

Outro: Drained High Score music.

Venturer One - Lofi Scifi Concept Album -
https://charleswolfmusic.bandcamp.com/album/venturer-one

Charles Wolf Music Website
https://charleswolfmusic.com/

Soundcloud Music Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/charles-wolf-composer

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CWolfMusic

Email: [email protected]

#250 1 year ago

Great interview! Really looking forward to seeing this game

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-module-join-me-in-development/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.