IMG_20200223_222042 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200226_134932 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200126_133335 (resized).jpg
Quest for Glory_Final1 (resized).jpg
Quest for Glory_Final2 (resized).jpg
Antwerp (resized).jpg
Town_open (resized).png
entrance (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#192 4 years ago

Came here from the link on the Heist thread. This is amazing stuff! I love this game - had it on disk back when it was still called "Hero's Quest" before Sierra got knocked over the head by the Mattel brigands.

2 months later
#289 3 years ago

Really loving this thread. (I’m pretty sure I already posted this but whatever) I grew up playing the EGA version of the game, back when it was “Hero’s Quest” and I believe it was all floppy discs. I remember having to learn about memory management and the components of the computer in order to get a lot of games to run.

This P3 game is turning out to be amazing! I was wondering if you could post a handful of the artwork? It’s hard to see from the stream.

Have you considered adding more music? That would really enhance the game quite a bit.
Looking forward to getting a P3 some day soon, and possibly adding this to the collection, or at least trying it out at some point!

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Absolutely. I never tried the EGA version as a kid (came to it later), but my experience with many games at the time, especially one of the King's Quest games, is memorable for all the times you had to swap the floppies. We had two 5 1/4" drives at the time, but the game ran off of a single drive, so some of the notes I would take would involve which screens required disk swaps. Haha! I haven't tried explaining that to my kids yet, but I wonder if they would understand?
And memory management was always fun in DOS. EMS/XMS, autoexec.bat tweaks. I was one of the people that didn't enjoy the transition to plug and play hardware as I preferred setting my DMA channels and IRQs.

Thank you so much! I was hoping some were still with me. I will try to post some more today!

Yes, I have. The music is a complex topic. I just blew through the remainder of my budget on the background artwork. I've reorchestrated a few pieces, and each screen with its own dedicated piece plays that music now (even if original). I would like to reorchestrate the rest or even record multiple versions of more of the songs, but time has been a factor.
I'm also a (terrible) musician, and have thought about recording myself on some of the tracks.
I've also talked with a musician about rearranging the synthesized original midi files and recording with different modules.
None of which have happened. :-/
So long story short, yes, I would love to add more music. As it sits, there is still quite a bit in the game, but some areas just have bird calls (forested areas). I've thought about penning a theme for the forest scenes as well, something quiet and light, adventurey, but again, time is an enemy.
So I will carry on with my current plan of ensuring scenes have appropriate original or reorchestrated music, and go from there. For now.

hm... HMMM...... I'm a musician with a fairly extensive (home) studio. Send me something, I may be able to work with it.

#296 3 years ago

This is great!

4 weeks later
#314 3 years ago

So a question I have is: how many of those following this project would download and play it if it was free to download (assuming Activision granted rights to freely distribute) in some fashion? I have a potential plan that might be more palatable to the lawyers.

Obviously yes!

1 week later
#322 3 years ago

Still trucking through the various screens. I have... 10 left (5 complete). I am thrilled with the quality of the artwork, she really did an amazing job.
Each screen requires various custom bits of programming (item interactions - the houses you can burgle are still left, yikes!), and lots of fiddling to make sure your character is not rendered on top of or behind a part of a sprite.

Where did you find the artist?

#324 3 years ago

Fiverr - I went through a few before I found one that clicked. She has been the background artist for the entire game.
That site has a huge talent pool (and a lot of people trying to make a buck). When you find the gems it's worth it, but you have to be willing to put in the work and fire contractors if something's not working. Overall, I've been very pleased with the quality of the work from the people I've contracted with. The harpist and background artist in particular!
There are a few voiceovers that I will have re-recorded. They are acting as placeholders currently, for when I have time (one day).

I have to try that, I need a keyboard player for something we're working on, and I'm not good enough. I keep hearing good things - and the same feedback you just gave about having to get rid of people.

2 months later
#337 3 years ago

Love reading this thread. Updates sound very well thought out!

1 month later
#358 3 years ago

This is such an informative thread. Does QFG still only work on the Lexy playfield?

#360 3 years ago

Thanks! Yep, Lexy only - there's technically nothing I'm using unique to the Lexy playfield aside from the mini monitor, but I could probably port to other playfield modules relatively easily.
I'm not yet sure what that involves, but that's been in the back of my mind.

Very cool! Sounds like ROCs in that sense. I think each driver module is slightly different

#362 3 years ago

Each module driver maps out the physical components (lamps, coils, switches, launch tubes) for the playfield module. I'm not yet sure how games like ROCs automatically change the launch, for example, to a tube with a different name in a different position.
Unlike ROCs, I am not closing off the upper playfield module with the walls and scoops, so each switch/shot would need to be mapped as well within my app. A lot of work, not sure of the payoff for something I can't sell or even give away (yet?).
Regardless, I'm curious about it!

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I think for my first attempt (maybe in March I’ll be able to start), I’ll close off the play field just to keep it simpler! Maybe Gerry can shed some light on how the ball launch is mapped.

#370 3 years ago

I love working with the P3. Very well thought out development tools.
I've implemented a new attract mode and am pleased to say I was absolutely wrong about the potential negative impact of more info displayed.
It's super clear, and you can page through credits and explanations now using the flipper buttons.
I've done some more light testing in simulator, and am about to embark on displaying missed shot scores.

Video or it didn't happen!!

#382 3 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

In the category of things to 'do as I say and not as I do', I'd recommend setting up a static class of event name strings and then just reference the variable names instead of re-typing the strings each time. We did this for a lot of events in P3App and the module drivers but not that much in the sample game.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

This is a huge time saver - I do this when developing web apps, so we can use a consistent framework but string replace terminology and instructions for different purposes. In my case it’s JS, so just an object set up and attributes named after their location used, not the value.

1 week later
#398 3 years ago

Mini LCD seems to be working (and it was indeed something stupid I was doing)! I have a bit more checking to do and then should be able to stream this weekend! I'm planning to stream in the morning Eastern Time on my Youtube channel (Nicholas Baldridge). If anyone would prefer to participate in the live chat and has a time they would prefer, feel free to let me know!
Huge thanks to Multimorphic for taking the time to help me with this problem.

Nick post a link to your YT

3 months later
#407 3 years ago

RITR 2.0.0.0 was launched, a few bugs slipped past me, but I fixed 'em.
I'm hard at work on a third P3 game at the moment (this one uses the Heist playfield module), but did want to pop back in and mention that I also need to go through every line of dialog and re-balance them. At one point in the past I had remastered most of the audio to be 'louder' and managed to export files that seem to be peaking. Embarrassing... but fixable!
So, still on the todo for 'eventually' for QFG:
1) Remaster-remastered audio
2) New voice actors for -at least- Baba Yaga and the Guild Master. Most of the other lines and readings I can live with, those I cannot.
3) Licensure? Release?
4) Dag-Nab-It doesn't seem to trigger the CPU flip. I've got some more testing to do of that feature as the problem is a 2D vs. 3D thing (Unity engine limitation, not a framework or even a Nick's code thing. All my very clever workarounds/hacks have failed thus far to work, but I'm sure the next one will!).
I also need to do another QA pass on the game in the physical cab since I've rewritten the coroutines to be much more efficient. Surely they work now, right?
In the mean-time, while you wait with bated breath for Activision to grant a license (I hope), Hero-U, a game developed by the original designers of Quest For Glory, is available on the Nintendo Switch for the first time today. If you enjoyed the classic Quest For Glory games, you will most certainly enjoy Hero-U. I know I did. Looking forward to playing it again, portably, between bouts of development.

Any updates in this department?

2 months later
#410 2 years ago

My new game will be released very soon (in the next few days... ) . I've switch my environment back over to QFG and have rebalanced all the audio (over 750 files). I'll be adding some other tweaks and start working on lighting bugs and extending the time that the default mode text appears. I think it's 5s now and it's way too short for the amount of text shown.
Then I'm going to hire some new voice actors and replace a couple of the more lackluster performances, then have the last of the original sprites/animations replaced.

Buuuut when will QFG be released?!

The new game uses the Heist Playfield, yes?

1 week later
#416 2 years ago

I want this more than anyone, but unfortunately thus far I've been met with silence from the license holder.
The content I'm replacing are some voice actors that had great demo reels but turned in less than great performances. The animations I mentioned are placeholders I'd left from the original game.

I’m sort of curious about what copyright claim there might be if you’ve replaced so much content. This is obviously a fan remake, but at a certain point things start to diverge; hopefully it wouldn’t be too hard to replace the game assets so you could finally put this out in the event Sierra/Activision never gets back to you

4 weeks later
#431 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I hope you can find the ... money to license this property. Too bad it's not unsupported ware like some other titles from the era.

Don’t think it’s money. Sierra IP is owned by Activision Blizzard, and unfortunately their lawyer are pretty busy right now..

1 year later
#439 1 year ago
Quoted from EE_PinMike:

Any update on the license? Would hate for this to fall flat, you have put so much work into it!

The #1 For Amusement game I am waiting for

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-game-so-you-want-to-be-a-hero-quest-for-glory-pinball?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.