IMG_20200223_222042 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200226_134932 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200126_133335 (resized).jpg
Quest for Glory_Final1 (resized).jpg
Quest for Glory_Final2 (resized).jpg
Antwerp (resized).jpg
Town_open (resized).png
entrance (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 4 years ago

This is supper cool! Ever since I bought into the P3, I've thought they needed a game that had persistent goals with an RPG element. So excited to hear about this game.

So, is this a passion project you're creating just for yourself, or is this something that will ultimately show up in the P3 marketplace for others to buy?

4 weeks later
#80 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Wow.... you put more time in writing what you want to do than i in building my new homebrew machine.
Sorry to mutch talk for me.
I come back when there is something to look at.

It's only January, but I nominate this as an early entry for Dick post of the year.

Someone is creating a labor of love that will ultimately benefit us P3 owners, and he's taking the time to document the process. Then there's you bitching because there's too many words!

1 month later
#168 4 years ago

Before I read anything about your combat setup, I was thinking it would be cool if you used the scoops/walls. Glad to hear you are. I'm not envisioning how you win/lose in a battle, but here are some things that came to mind reading the detail you did have.

As you know, the scoops/walls can be individually colored. What might be cool is if they represented the enemy's armor. Hitting a wall would decrease HP on that segment of armor (stabbing). Hitting the side targets could be the swipe you describe and damages the 3 scoops on that side (maybe similar total damage spread across 3 segments?). Armor strength is represented by changing the color of the scoop/wall. When a segment is depleted, that wall drops and you win by hitting the open scoop.

You could even do different things for tougher enemies. Like maybe they have a shield, and this causes a couple walls to have higher HP, or possibly even be invincible. Could make for some cool variety and scalable difficulty across enemies.

#172 4 years ago

Not sure what you're imagining as the playfield artwork during a battle or what's happening with the enemy sprites, but the scoops/walls could represent more generic "defenses" than specifically armor.

In terms of varying the fights, there's all sorts of varieties of what I described that could keep a similar fight dynamic with different requirements. Wearing down a segment is obviously one. Roaming targets is another as you mentioned. Whether that's hit the open scoop or hit the "vulnerable" lighted target, (like the enemy's achilles heel).

Can the scoop be lit a different color from the wall? Probably not, but if they can be different colors, maybe the left side targets rotate a lit scoop and the right side targets rotate a lit wall -- you need to match up the lit scoop/wall to open the shot for the kill. If they can't be done individually, maybe the same concept with a lit scoop/wall and an arrow in front of the wall bank.

Anyway, lots of ways to take these concepts and mix and match them to get tons of variety for the various enemies.

1 week later
#182 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

All scoops and walls have their own LED. I think they can be individually controlled but gstellenberg would have a definitive answer.

So, the left-most scoop has a different LED than the left-most wall that blocks that scoop? I kinda assumed each scoop/wall pair had the same light source, but obviously I don't know.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Correct cheeks . There are twelve different sources, one for each wall and scoop in the W/S assembly.
You should buy one, it’s a fascinating platform.

I'm an early adopter. I pre-ordered the P3 back when the "wireform" returns were PVC and the only game it ran was a vector graphic version of Barnyard. I was like customer #3 or something like that.

Other than some of the software-only games that didn't jive with me, I have all of the P3 games (and I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement/reveal of the new game and the Career mode for CCR). That's how I had feature-specific thoughts about the battles. Lots of capabilities of the platform that are sadly under-utilized. That said, I have not torn the machine apart though, which is why I didn't know if walls and scoops had independent LED sources.

4 weeks later
#224 4 years ago

Not sure if you have any modes or mini-games that would support this idea, but there's always been a type of mode I've thought would be cool since the introduction of color-changing LEDs. This would look coolest with something like CCR's playfield ramp LEDs, but could certainly work with the scoops (or any other lighted shots).

Anyway, I've always thought of it like a combination, where you need to get a pre-determined set of colors -- say left = blue, middle = red, right = green. All shots start as the same color, and each time you hit a shot, it cycles through a color set: red, green, blue, red, green, blue. The object would be to get all shots to match the combination. So, you need to hit each shot a certain number of times, and if you hit one too many, you'd have to cycle back through again. There could be a scalable difficulty by adding a 4th or 5th shot and/or a 4th or 5th color.

This would thematically fit with picking a lock, but could also be configuring / assembling something, mixing potions to a recipe, whatever.

Actually, a potential derivative of this would be recreating the old Mastermind board game where you need to guess a hidden combination of colors. In this case, you'd hit shots to select colors and then submit them as a guess at the combination. You'd then need to deductively figure out the combination based on your correct / incorrect guesses. Maybe something like this could weave into the riddles?

Anyway, not sure if this would fit with anything you're doing, but I thought it's a decent enough place to throw the idea out into the ether for potential future use by someone. I think it would be a fun mode.

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

I had an emergency call at work that required a large portion of my day, but just finished with that, and I'm happy to report that I finished the Dag-Nab-It mode last night!
Today I started work on The Mage's Maze. This mode will have its own set of icons (spells) that you will switch through. You play a magical flame and are trying to guide it through several different walls/bridges/doors/etc. using a set of six spells.
You will be actively playing against the wizard, Erasmus. I do not yet have his portion programmed, and I don't have the player's portion fully programmed, but it will use the walls and scoops.
All pop up at the start of the mode, and each are color-coded to match a spell. Paging through the spells will drop a wall in front of a scoop, and hitting that scoop will cast the spell.
If you finish the maze first, you win a new spell! Pretty great reward, but should be pretty tough to do. Lots of shots.

Hmm...Interesting! Sounds like it's taking Lexy's Warehouse navigation to a whole new level. Very creative to use the scoops as a navigational tool through a labyrinth. How will you know which way you're supposed to go? Is there something that clues you to which paths to take?

2 weeks later
#258 3 years ago

I'm curious how you're viewing this game from a replayability standpoint. I used to love Sierra games like King's and Space Quest. They were super fun, but given their linear nature, they were more about figuring out the puzzles rather than playing them over and over to try and find better ways to do things. Is this more a figure out THE way to do things, or try to accomplish the BEST way to do things? I'm not judging either way. It's just that I've been following this thread from the beginning and I'm still not sure whether this is more of a Sierra game within a pinball machine, or a pinball game within a Sierra game.

Thoughts?

#261 3 years ago

This is still a linear game - you have to progress through the game's puzzles to complete it.
The non-linearity comes from playing it with different character classes and the randomized nature of certain events. In some instances, more than one solution to a puzzle is available to a particular character class. In that instance, it's figuring out the BEST solution for that character. Inferior solutions for that character class award fewer points.
In other instances, there will only be one solution.
This, for me, is about learning how to write a P3 game, and sharing one of my favorite games in a new way with people at shows. That said, once I figured out the solutions to Sierra games, I would replay them endlessly, attempting to shave off time or to approach puzzles in different ways. I expect the legs from this game will be found in that way, and in playing as a different character class, as mentioned above. If I get bored with it, I'll add in some extra fun optional pinball side activities. I've already added a few.
I have something else in development that is more traditionally pinbally, but QFG is my "if you could make only one game, what would you do" kinda game, and the P3 is the only platform that makes this marriage of pinball and adventure game possible.

Again, don't take my question as critique. Having read the whole thread, I remember early comments where you talked about using your favorite game as a training ground to learn how to work in the P3 environment. As such, even if your response was "this game will be lame after you figure out how to get through it the first time, I just made it to have fun learning how to make it..." that would still be a totally understandable response. It's your labor of love and an introduction to the development side of P3. But from the sounds of it, it has some inherent replayability on a couple fronts; variety based on character class, and some efficiency measures (I got further or did X faster/better). Roadshow and Pinball Magic are both linear and that doesn't diminish them from being legit, fun pinball games.

As Gerry has said from way back when the P3 was just a PVC-based twinkle in his eye, part of the allure of the platform is being able to make such a wide variety of games. We obviously all like pinbally games, but part of the fun of having the P3 is being able to tack on less pinbally stuff to really round out the experience. I think it's super cool that you're potentially adding to that ecosystem.

1 week later
#273 3 years ago

Fantastic assortment of games in that bundle. Arcanum, QFG, Space Quest, King's Quest (1-7 and episodic), police quest, phantasmagoria, Gabriel knight. Wow. A goodly chunk of the best of the Sierra catalog in one spot.

How did you find the actual content of the bundle? It seems like the more you pay the more you get, but everything I looked at only said vague things like "includes games such as..."

#275 3 years ago

It's split up on the page - donate at least $1 and get these, donate at least $8 get these (including QFG), donate at least $12 get these (including King's Quest and Space Quest).

Ah...so basically pay $12 and get everything shown on the page. I was reading it wrong.

{Sierra Blasphemy Incoming} -- as much as I loved King's Quest and Space quest, I have to admit that I never heard of QFG until you started developing the P3 version. So...ignorant question, what does your game cover? QFG1?

I want to get this bundle, and I want to play some stuff I haven't played before, but I'll probably avoid all the QFG at this point. Assuming you will make QFG available at some point, I don't want to play the cpu game before the pinball game.

4 weeks later
#292 3 years ago

I have another game I'm cooking up right now as well. This next one has some really ambitious elements but is more traditionally pinball, and I can sell no problem as it is an original theme. Excited to tell you more about it soon

Oh really?

Without spoiling anything, can you say which playfield module your new venture will use?

1 month later
#317 3 years ago

100%

But then, what fool that already owns a Lexy *wouldn't* download and play this for free?

2 months later
#340 3 years ago

I'm still struggling a bit with how to handle the walk mode, which is the only mode that works differently. Should I go back to making it a called shot? If so, using the same setup as the other modes will make it much more easy to understand. If not, should I switch the button to change destination to the yellow buttons, and the confirmation to the launch button?

I'm not totally clear what the alternatives are. It's been a while since I watched your stream on this game (I should do that to refresh myself on the full context here). In general, I'm not opposed to sharpshooter games. Pick your shot, hit your shot could be fun. In this context, your missed counter makes sense. I know a lot of games (including light gun games) that show your shooting accuracy at the end of an area. So, some contextual reference to your accuracy would be neat.

That said, I think I understand your concern in that calling all shots certainly slows everything way down. I get you need to balance playing QfG, with intuitive play, with a fun game.

#342 3 years ago

There are so many choices and options, you almost need a more sophisticated user interface. Maybe gstellenberg could license use of the Pinbar!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-game-so-you-want-to-be-a-hero-quest-for-glory-pinball?tu=Cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.