IMG_20200223_222042 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200226_134932 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200126_133335 (resized).jpg
Quest for Glory_Final1 (resized).jpg
Quest for Glory_Final2 (resized).jpg
Antwerp (resized).jpg
Town_open (resized).png
entrance (resized).png

There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 9 months ago

Great! Looking forward to it.

#403 9 months ago

Didn’t get to catch it all live but will watch I missed later. From what I did catch, you did a great job on this game.

#404 9 months ago

Have spent the past week rewriting mode support / speech coroutines. I was setting a variable within my callout coroutines in each scene. This turned out to be horrifically inefficient in some scenes. Rather than figure out which ones, I decided to change the design of each callout to set that variable ahead of time, then call my shot path method to disable the shot arrows. While the callout is going, there's no way to re-enable the shot path arrows as the mode that drives them is now completely removed from the mode queue during the callout as well (previously it just had its functions suppressed).

I'm putting the finishing touches on the last handful of scenes, then I'll be testing it again in the simulator for everything.

Other bugs noted in the stream were:
a) lack of blinking lamps when entering talk mode and no target to talk selected
b) the bar has more people than any other scene to talk to - hitting the selector switch for one person didn't disable the other selector shots (it should have). New design should cure this, but I want to make sure.
c) *minor spoiler* - if you rush the brigand's fortress, you have to fight a group of three brigands. Works great in the simulator, seems to get stuck on the physical P3. I must have a conflict where the combat mode (which loads the scene) is removed from the queue upon combat completion, but not readded when the next combatant appears. Mode removal should not occur until the fight is complete. That'll require some debug...
d) Wrong lamps blinking in use mode in the healer's hut when using gold.
e) Wrong lamps blinking in use mode in the magic shop when using gold.
f) Saving the game can take several seconds because of some real time clock management I have woven into the very lowest levels of the game. I've tried working around this in the past and it has caused way more problems than you'd expect. Symptom of this is a ball pausing for a few seconds in the ship, or upon drain not immediately firing the death box/music. Might not be fixable unless I write an entirely new clock system.

Pretty sure that's it, which, honestly, isn't that bad (hooray). I've checked a handful of talk modes and don't see an issue with the blinking light - I'm guessing it's because I am calling my blink mode to mode at the time the mode is added to the queue, and another action occurs right after, setting all the lights to the talk color (red) and disabling any blinkies. Too clever for myself by half!

#405 9 months ago

I've fixed all the above as well as added in a new unified light show for the launch button, to boot - the game previously only flashed the button when you had a ball ready to launch. Now it will flash when in walk mode and in any mode that requires confirmation. At least... in theory!

I need to do some in-game testing, of course, to verify some of the above.

The saving can't be sped up - just the nature of the beast. I have thought about a different way to handle it that could occur during screen transitions or upon death (still using the lane spelling rules, just shifting the burden of processing), but I think I'll leave well enough alone. The game processes events just fine once the save routine completes, including those events not shown in the interim.

Wrong lamps blinking was caused by removal of certain options when playing as different character classes (feel pretty dumb there...).

So! A day late, but my next step will be to test the entire game in the simulator again, then test on the physical machine.

While I wait anxiously for the next weekend when I will have time to adjust things like light shows if there are problems (and why would there be?! ), I'll switch back to the RITR update!

4 weeks later
#406 8 months ago

RITR 2.0.0.0 was launched, a few bugs slipped past me, but I fixed 'em.

I'm hard at work on a third P3 game at the moment (this one uses the Heist playfield module), but did want to pop back in and mention that I also need to go through every line of dialog and re-balance them. At one point in the past I had remastered most of the audio to be 'louder' and managed to export files that seem to be peaking. Embarrassing... but fixable!

So, still on the todo for 'eventually' for QFG:
1) Remaster-remastered audio
2) New voice actors for -at least- Baba Yaga and the Guild Master. Most of the other lines and readings I can live with, those I cannot.
3) Licensure? Release?
4) Dag-Nab-It doesn't seem to trigger the CPU flip. I've got some more testing to do of that feature as the problem is a 2D vs. 3D thing (Unity engine limitation, not a framework or even a Nick's code thing. All my very clever workarounds/hacks have failed thus far to work, but I'm sure the next one will!).

I also need to do another QA pass on the game in the physical cab since I've rewritten the coroutines to be much more efficient. Surely they work now, right?

In the mean-time, while you wait with bated breath for Activision to grant a license (I hope), Hero-U, a game developed by the original designers of Quest For Glory, is available on the Nintendo Switch for the first time today. If you enjoyed the classic Quest For Glory games, you will most certainly enjoy Hero-U. I know I did. Looking forward to playing it again, portably, between bouts of development.

1 month later
#407 6 months ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

RITR 2.0.0.0 was launched, a few bugs slipped past me, but I fixed 'em.
I'm hard at work on a third P3 game at the moment (this one uses the Heist playfield module), but did want to pop back in and mention that I also need to go through every line of dialog and re-balance them. At one point in the past I had remastered most of the audio to be 'louder' and managed to export files that seem to be peaking. Embarrassing... but fixable!
So, still on the todo for 'eventually' for QFG:
1) Remaster-remastered audio
2) New voice actors for -at least- Baba Yaga and the Guild Master. Most of the other lines and readings I can live with, those I cannot.
3) Licensure? Release?
4) Dag-Nab-It doesn't seem to trigger the CPU flip. I've got some more testing to do of that feature as the problem is a 2D vs. 3D thing (Unity engine limitation, not a framework or even a Nick's code thing. All my very clever workarounds/hacks have failed thus far to work, but I'm sure the next one will!).
I also need to do another QA pass on the game in the physical cab since I've rewritten the coroutines to be much more efficient. Surely they work now, right?
In the mean-time, while you wait with bated breath for Activision to grant a license (I hope), Hero-U, a game developed by the original designers of Quest For Glory, is available on the Nintendo Switch for the first time today. If you enjoyed the classic Quest For Glory games, you will most certainly enjoy Hero-U. I know I did. Looking forward to playing it again, portably, between bouts of development.

Any updates in this department?

#408 6 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Any updates in this department?

I've been hard at work on my next game, and am awaiting word from Activision/my lawyer on licensure.

Once the next game is released, I'll likely swing back around and clean up those last few items. I've done some minimal in-cab testing after rewriting the coroutines for dialog in those specific scenes with issues, but more testing is required.

2 months later
#409 4 months ago

My new game will be released very soon (in the next few days... ) . I've switch my environment back over to QFG and have rebalanced all the audio (over 750 files). I'll be adding some other tweaks and start working on lighting bugs and extending the time that the default mode text appears. I think it's 5s now and it's way too short for the amount of text shown.

Then I'm going to hire some new voice actors and replace a couple of the more lackluster performances, then have the last of the original sprites/animations replaced.

#410 4 months ago

My new game will be released very soon (in the next few days... ) . I've switch my environment back over to QFG and have rebalanced all the audio (over 750 files). I'll be adding some other tweaks and start working on lighting bugs and extending the time that the default mode text appears. I think it's 5s now and it's way too short for the amount of text shown.
Then I'm going to hire some new voice actors and replace a couple of the more lackluster performances, then have the last of the original sprites/animations replaced.

Buuuut when will QFG be released?!

The new game uses the Heist Playfield, yes?

#411 4 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The new game uses the Heist Playfield, yes?

Yes indeed!

#412 4 months ago

My new game will be released very soon (in the next few days... ) .

WHOAAA?!?!! yessss!!!!!!!

I've switch my environment back over to QFG and have rebalanced all the audio (over 750 files). I'll be adding some other tweaks and start working on lighting bugs and extending the time that the default mode text appears. I think it's 5s now and it's way too short for the amount of text shown.

If you are replacing content, does that mean it can be renamed and released? Or is there any progress to the approval.

#413 4 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

If you are replacing content, does that mean it can be renamed and released? Or is there any progress to the approval.

I want this more than anyone, but unfortunately thus far I've been met with silence from the license holder.

The content I'm replacing are some voice actors that had great demo reels but turned in less than great performances. The animations I mentioned are placeholders I'd left from the original game.

1 week later
#414 3 months ago

Working on this quite a bit since the release of Silver Falls (It's available now from multimorphic.com - thank you all for the support!).

So one of the things I'm trying to do is to make it more friendly to new players. I know what needs to happen, when, but new players get totally lost.

I've added the following tweaks to the first screen and either already pushed to the rest of the game or need to do so:
1) Walking now tells you what your destination is, to prevent confusion.
2) Callouts now hold the ball, can be canceled, and launch the ball after completion. Added note on how to cancel callout with flippers.
3) Added a setting for subtitles - defaults to on. When someone is speaking (including the narrator), the game will push the dialog into a box near the top of the screen. Long callouts replace the text on a timed basis.
4) Shots for callouts - look, take, talk, use mode - require the main shot I've required. The ball rolling back over the screen will pop up the scoops, and shooting the scoops triggers the actual callout. This should make callouts much more audible and the game much more deliberate.
This required adding extra logic into every mode with callouts to force scoops to drop, temporary grid detection, setting/resetting a temp var when switching between shots on the fly even after a successful shot but before the scoops are hit, etc etc etc. Handling for hitting the scoop when you have no callout shot completed within a sub-sub mode, just tons of work to prevent stuck balls. Porting to each scene is going to be a lot of work, but worth it, I think.
5) All apron icons (main modes and inventory) now have names to make it more clear what a thing is that you're holding. This is especially important if you leave the game and come back. Solutions to some puzzles sometimes provide additional items - so the mysterious appearing gem in your inventory is still explained even if you didn't trigger the callout explaining why you got it in the first place.
6) Cancelling the intro and all callouts requires a simultaneous left/right flipper press. This prevents situations where the intro is accidentally skipped.
7) New launch light flashing during modes that allow launch presses. Previous implementation was not working as expected.

I also exported the original assets that need to be redrawn. My wife offered to take a crack at drawing them... but it's going to be a ridiculous amount of work. We'll see if she wants to stick with it. This includes all monsters during both walking and combat modes, and many other characters throughout the town and environs. I have a new set of tools en route that should allow me to do this if she isn't able to devote the 6000 hours to the task.

Still to come:

1) Combat mode labels for health/stamina/mana bars.
2) Reworked light shows for selected shots(?) - spoke with a friend that came over and tried Silver Falls/RITR/QFG the other day, and he suggested an idea that might work great or be not-so-great in practice. It will be very difficult (for me) to program as well, so I'm thinking about it...
3) Dying in one particular timed mode causes a problem where you die a second time when the ball drains. Tiny bug - doesn't affect anything functionally, but you see two death info boxes!
4) Mini-LCD functions properly in test harness, doesn't function properly in game - I keep thinking I have this solved, but don't. It's displaying the main image properly, but doesn't switch in game. Leads me to believe I have something set up very improperly in my code (but the same code runs in the test harness just fine).
5) Gargoyle talking puzzle has a situation on at least one character class that creates a visual bug when accidentally switching between main modes and back to the puzzle. Selected shot doesn't appear. Again, something I just never saw playing through the game with an optimal path. I spent a lot of time testing this kind of accidental interaction, but missed something about this one. In Unity, I have the various shots set as gameobjects and activate and deactivate based on button presses. Guessing I just have the entire parent GO deactivated when switching and need to reactivate it (not a huge deal).
6) New voiceovers for Guild Master, Karl, Meep, Baba Yaga.
7) Talking mode doesn't flash the initial shot needed to select a topic from the character you're looking to talk to.

#415 3 months ago

I'm also toying with the idea of adding a hint mode.

Make it a main mode and give suggestions based on current screen/inventory/character class. Maybe add a setting to turn it on or off. Gets more and more complicated to implement, but might be a really nice addition, especially for new players or just those with limited time.
Oh, and adding indicators on the character sheet to explain which items have improved since the last time you looked. Makes it easier to find improvements or changes at a glance. The original game had something like this, but I just haven't had a chance to implement a list containing changed attrs and force display in a different color, then clear the list. Pretty simple, but takes time.

I may also add numerical stats in combat mode for each bar. The issue with this was creating a bit of mystery about the randomized HP of the monsters. I could leave that as a straight progress bar, but it's much more clear when you can actually see the number. I've waffled about this a lot.

#416 3 months ago

I want this more than anyone, but unfortunately thus far I've been met with silence from the license holder.
The content I'm replacing are some voice actors that had great demo reels but turned in less than great performances. The animations I mentioned are placeholders I'd left from the original game.

I’m sort of curious about what copyright claim there might be if you’ve replaced so much content. This is obviously a fan remake, but at a certain point things start to diverge; hopefully it wouldn’t be too hard to replace the game assets so you could finally put this out in the event Sierra/Activision never gets back to you

1 week later
#417 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

hopefully it wouldn’t be too hard to replace the game assets so you could finally put this out in the event Sierra/Activision never gets back to you

It's pretty deeply ingrained, unfortunately. I'd have to spend a lot of time remaking significant portions of the game. The overall scenario, for example, with only minor tweaks, is pulled from the PC game. Even though the dialog is spoken in my version, the words they are using are almost all from the PC game (again, with some tweaks and flourishes).

I (and my wallet) would prefer if I didn't have to rewrite the whole game and make new puzzle flowcharts.

Here's what I've been up to since Silver Falls launched:
1) Walking now tells you what your destination is, to prevent confusion on each screen.
2) Callouts now hold the ball, can be canceled, and launch the ball after completion. Added note on how to cancel callout with flippers. On each screen.
3) Added a setting for subtitles - defaults to on. When someone is speaking (including the narrator), the game will push the dialog into a box near the top of the screen. Long callouts replace the text on a timed basis. - I'm in the process of adding these, some of these are extremely complex call-and-response scenarios, and I'm winging it on timing (to start).
4) Shots for callouts - look, take, talk, use mode - require the main shot I've required. The ball rolling back over the screen will pop up the scoops, and shooting the scoops triggers the actual callout. This should make callouts much more audible and the game much more deliberate. This is done on each screen.
5) All apron icons (main modes and inventory) now have names to make it more clear what a thing is that you're holding. This is especially important if you leave the game and come back. Solutions to some puzzles sometimes provide additional items - so the mysterious appearing gem in your inventory is still explained even if you didn't trigger the callout explaining why you got it in the first place. Done
6) Cancelling the intro and all callouts requires a simultaneous left/right flipper press. This prevents situations where the intro is accidentally skipped. Done.
7) New launch light flashing during modes that allow launch presses. Previous implementation was not working as expected. Done in each scene.
8) Display changed attributes on the character sheet in red. This is done and works great. (It's also how the PC version works).

So the difference from the last post to now is that I've pushed these changes to every screen except for the subtitles, which require me to copy portions of the script, delay switching a window for x seconds, change the title card to display the appropriate speaker, and on and on. Due to the way I split up my files, this is a bit more tedious than it should be. I'm in a scene right now, for example, where there are five entities doing a call and response to each other for each request to talk about a topic. I think this is the hardest scene left to add them to, though, so silver linings and all.

Oh, I also made the decision to treat certain callouts as background noise. For example, in the bar, the butcher and baker are playing a very spirited game of Go Fish. Every so often, one of them will shout, "Go Fish". I'm not subtitling that, for example.

I'm in the scenes beginning with "F" at the moment. Quite a few left to go, but a lot of the really hard work is done now. I anticipate this will take me another week. Then it's on to the optional/bugs I know about.

A note about saving. I am considering a way to replace my current save method as it is causing a few issues (especially related to the new callout system). I am thinking about doing a similar hold for balls that are saving. The way this will work is not fully formed, has the potential for tons of conflicts and errors, and is really not optimal. But it would improve performance a bit, so might be good to figure out.

#418 3 months ago

I've been busy!

Some new changes:
1) Game now has a mainline hint mode. This sits in the area with the walk, look, etc. Switching to this mode will display one of 125 unique hints on the Mini LCD above the playfield monitor.
2) Subtitles now display on backbox as well as playfield, and I've completely reworked how they look. They are BIG and VISIBLE.
3) Characters that speak to you now show their portrait on the playfield monitor and backbox. Previously they would show on the Mini LCD.
4) Added dynamic sizing to dialog boxes. Now if someone says a one-liner, it will only take up the space of a one-liner instead of the full 10 line background for dialogs. All components automatically snap to.

I have a legit bug to track down with one of the most complex puzzles in the game when you die. It requires you to switch from one of the mainline modes to another, die and restore a game from before that screen then return to the puzzle. Tough to set up, tough to reproduce.

I also want to improve the ball search a bit.

Those two are next on my to-do.

#419 3 months ago

Squashed a nasty bug that prevents progress when loading a saved game immediately after completing a puzzle and dying. It's a very complex dialog puzzle, so testing is very difficult.

I also improved the ball search. At this point, I need to start making bug lists on each screen and buckle down for heavy testing.

#420 3 months ago

Heavy testing has begun. I won't have a ton of cool new stuff to say for a while yet. I logged over 100 bugs alone in the first 20 screens on my first character.

These were almost all visual bugs (some tweaks of subtitle overflows, my lack of memory of how dialog is structured within the game preventing some indicators from hiding), save enabled at all times instead of specific times at the scoop once REST completed once. Simple stuff, easy to fix, but a lot of it.

More once I get further into it!

#421 3 months ago

Subtitle overflows: rewritten!

Dialog arrows: hidden!

Light shows: completely rewritten! (I had a very poor understanding of light shows when I initially wrote some of the basic ones, and this had been on my list for a while. They worked, mostly, but were not very efficient).

Priorities for every.single.mode and event in the game passed from parent to child and grandchild were re-prioritized. (see above note on light shows as to why...)

I'm about to pop this on the machine and see if it fixes a lot of the issues I was seeing previously (it totally should).

#422 87 days ago

I'm about to pop this on the machine and see if it fixes a lot of the issues I was seeing previously (it totally should).

Hey! It did! Nice when a plan comes together.

I've added some minor graphical tweaks, and am going screen-by-screen and testing all interactions again. A big part of the testing is subtitles.

The game is quite a lot better than it was previously and much more enjoyable (and less punishing) to play. I can attribute that directly to two changes:

1) Adding the scoop pop ups once you hit your selected shot (and being able to cancel it) is really nice. It makes the flow of the game actually even more like the PC game from which it was inspired.
2) Moving the save to a manual function once you complete the lanes was a HUGE change in playability. Depending on the screen, you could die when resting and if this happened accidentally it was very frustrating (previously). Now it is much more deliberate, and spelled out to the player in a more clear way. It makes it slightly less likely that you'll have a save point to fall back on when just starting out, but is perhaps the most important change of the two.

I'm going screen-by-screen with each character class at each time of day (and on particular days when needed). So far I've just about finished the starting village (which comprises 11 screens out of 70). As part of the more deliberate nature of the play, I've also been able to find and squash some really annoying bugs. Some of them even existed in the prior (pretty polished!) version - for example, loading a save game in the alley at midnight removed the ability to walk unless you switched to look mode and back to walk. Testing the previous incarnation didn't reveal that, but that's the type of bug I'm seeing. The goal is zero bugs (again)!

#423 86 days ago

One change I added was to modify the combat calculations to prevent duplicate combat in the same scene (except in two instances).

Previously completing a combat scene would re-roll the possibility of combat immediately upon finishing the combat. This was a change from the original, but instead of forcing a hurry up (you have a short time to run out of the scene before combat starts [except in some circumstances]), now it will give you a bit of a breather until you enter another screen.

50 screens left!

#424 85 days ago

I've tested a lot more of the game. I've got 20 scenes left to review.

Of those 20:
8 of them have involved dialog trees that will require some time to test/time subtitles appropriately
2 have time-gated puzzles (thankfully I knocked most of those out already - testing is brutal!)
1 scene is available only to a single character class (the Mage's Maze)
2 scenes have specialty/multiball modes
4 scenes have unique combat encounters
11 are involved in the three largest quests
5 have hurry up modes of some sort

that's a taste of what is involved with regard to testing. Throw in unique interactions for each mode within each of those scenes and how they might interact with the day/night system, inventory, etc. and you'll see why testing takes a minute. Still very happy with the changes and hopefully I'll be able to show them off at some point.

#425 83 days ago

So many bugs fixed! My weekend was spent fixing those last 20 scenes. Very excited to see how it performs on the physical hardware!

That might have to wait for next weekend, but we'll see if I can hold out that long.

#426 82 days ago

Ok, who am I kidding, I couldn't wait. After a session of online Cosmic Cart Racing with other P3 owners, I installed the latest version and had an absolute blast!!

I found three bugs. I tested skipping dialog, and played through a large portion of the thief interactions in the early game (both in and out of the village).

One dialog choice that moves to another room didn't relaunch a ball (whoops) and another dialog didn't fire the scoops and launched a second ball into play when it completed.

On the first screen outside of town (I know, right?), There are two items you can take. I took the second one and it didn't relight the first as it is supposed to.

At one point I exited the app and re-entered and it wouldn't load my profile... That's a new one, so I'll be analyzing the logs pretty heavily once those bugs are fixed.

Other than that... The lightshows need tweaking (figured that much), but less than expected.

The hint mode is not displaying, but I've got a lead on that.

...that's pretty much it!

My changes are all over the map and touch every aspect of the game, so it is very rewarding that the changes work so well. Hitting the right scoop, in particular, to save is very rewarding. I'm very very pleased with that change. The scoops to perform an action, as I've mentioned previously, are very helpful.

So all that said, I should be totally good to go by York.

I have some other games to ready for the trip as well... And a new project I'll be making a thread about soon.

#427 82 days ago

Any update on a release date?

#428 81 days ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Any update on a release date?

No news on that front yet... But I did play the game for quite some time tonight.

No new bugs, and in fact tweaks to the light shows have made a big difference. Quite exciting.

Biggest problem is now the hint screen failing to fire, but I'm working on a fix...

#429 81 days ago

Ah awsome . Planning on releasing a test demo/ beta or something?

#430 81 days ago

I hope you can find the ... money to license this property. Too bad it's not unsupported ware like some other titles from the era.

#431 81 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I hope you can find the ... money to license this property. Too bad it's not unsupported ware like some other titles from the era.

Don’t think it’s money. Sierra IP is owned by Activision Blizzard, and unfortunately their lawyer are pretty busy right now..

#432 80 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I hope you can find the ... money to license this property.

Me too! I hope that they might license it to me at some point. I found a new avenue to explore with regards to that, so we shall see.

On another topic, Twitch-Connect! I've added the ability for twitch chat to mess with flippers and lights, as well as to improve skills a point at a time. Help your favorite streamer out (ok, just me) by improving my climbing skill and weighting the dice in my favor.

If this was to be licensed, all would experience this as part of the base package. For now, just me, but I'm excited to have this in my game.

#433 74 days ago

I've playtested every interaction for every character class at every time of day (in-game) in both the Unity simulator and on-machine.

To clarify the big changes, now you select a mode, say look, then use the buttons to 'call' a shot. Only that one shot is active within the context of the mode. Hitting that shot will pop all the scoops up once your ball touches the screen. You can hit the scoops to play a callout (with a fancy subtitling system), or hit the shot select button to drop the scoops and select a different shot, or change the overall mode which will also drop the scoops and provide different indicated shots.

New light shows in combat and extended timing for hitting dodge or parry on either the left or right side to avoid/strike an opponent.

Really nice new light shows for multiball modes. Ability to skip callouts with a double flip. Light shows for the launch button that function in every instance where the launch button can be used to interact with the game.

Improvements in every single in-game interaction to match the more deliberate style of play. I have spent a lot of time playtesting the unique modes available to each character class as well as the various flipper tricks and other fun changes I've made.

At this point, the only outstanding problem is the MiniLCD hint mode. I'm still working on that (it won't render), but otherwise, the game is done! (I think, again).

At this point, it's ready for people to play! I hope that York happens and that work allows me to go. It will be fun to see what people think of the game.

#434 71 days ago

For those that might be interested - I've started a newsletter that will be sent approximately once a quarter (though an out-of-turn update might occur when a new game is released). If you would like to keep up with games, books, and podcasts in which I play a part, feel free to sign up here:

http://eepurl.com/hFW5aX

I'm always working on tons of stuff that I'd love to share with you.

There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside