IMG_20200223_222042 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200226_134932 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200126_133335 (resized).jpg
Quest for Glory_Final1 (resized).jpg
Quest for Glory_Final2 (resized).jpg
Antwerp (resized).jpg
Town_open (resized).png
entrance (resized).png
There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
#251 3 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

this is the first time i have been able to see what exactly goes through the brilliant mind of a game developer. Thanks for all the hard work and updates. as a new P3 owner (very soon!!!), I am EAGER to see the final product.

thanks for the amazing work, and the updated thread on your progress. the platform willl benefit from your hard work, and hopefully you will as well (financially speaking) !!!

Wow, thank you for that, sincerely - I don't know about brilliant, but I do know that I love the P3. I'm not sure that this will ever be sold, but it has been very satisfying to get a flipping, complex game up and rolling so quickly on the system. Congratulations on your new games! I hope you enjoy them as much as my family and I do!

I took yesterday off, but I did spend a little bit of time reorganizing my ball launch management. This is unfortunately something that I can't easily test in the simulator, but I compiled a new build and tried it out - now I get an endless six ball multiball in combat, and an added ball on every screen. Can't say that was the intent... Haha! I'll keep tweaking it. With my other games, getting trough management correct was the most difficult aspect. When a ball is automatically lifted or launched, there is quite a bit of management to do to ensure it's working properly, and when you take it to the physical machine, things can go sideways pretty easily.

In my games' case, I am getting an event logged when you launch the ball, but it is not logging them multiple times, so the variable I am setting is not actually being checked or updated once the first ball launches. More tweaking, but closing in on the end.

More art should also be arriving this week, but don't expect daily updates for a couple of days (I need to take a nap or two. )

#252 3 years ago

Yessssssss - played a new build tonight. I've corrected a bunch of problems. I got a regression on the game crashing upon restart. I also have an endless loop of ball launches if you die during combat, BUT the game now launches and counts appropriately, and I was able to progress through several screens of puzzles in one sitting. I may take a quick video.

#253 3 years ago

So upon much further exploration, the crashing tends to happen only in certain times. It's definitely a missing GameObject error - those are annoying as they cause the app to crash. The good news is that that should be easily fixed (probably exiting combat to restart since that scene is missing some of the standard GameObjects used in every scene). I have discovered several other really odd bugs that are caused by longterm play.

Here's a couple of samples, and they're really not that bad:
1) Player data, while overwritten when loading a game, does not remove new keys added during prior play session (restore vs. restart). I should be able to kill the entire player data tree and load the entire thing in again to fix that. Causes some really interesting errors - for example, if you hit a shot you need to collect an item, then drain quick enough, the game will retain the key (apparently) in the player data that shows that you have collected it, thus disabling the shot... but you don't have it! Would make for some frustrating gameplay. Will need to experiment - I was able to trigger this in a few different scenes, so it's an underlying issue like the suspicion I have above. We'll see!

2) Lane completion takes for-freaking-ever. I have some kinda weird blocking thing going on with day/night cycle transitions... the game appears to cycle though the day several times for each series of lane completions. I'm guessing that I have an error and am calling the cycle transition once for each time the lane icons are supposed to blink. Doing this calls a few other routines (data save, etc etc etc), so it's probable that I'm just telling it to do way too much.

Quite a few others, but most are related to the above two. When the lane completion thing happens, it turns into a blocking state... so coils don't fire (except flippers), switches don't register, basically the game dies until it resolves itself. Particularly jarring when indoors and there is no visible indicator of time of day.

#254 3 years ago

Spent a while troubleshooting #2 above - lane completion is in fact happening several times, so I went back up a layer, and up a layer, and up a layer... the ball detection call is happening several times simultaneously (or seems to be). Once I figure out why, I'll be able to fix it. I've tried all kinds of stuff, and nothing has worked yet. I know it's got to be something I've introduced, but finding it is going to be very challenging.

I almost wonder if the data-related bugs are related to this as well, because the delay introduced in switch/coil processing is pretty severe on the real machine.

If the save was called, then a drain happened, it could leave it in a weird state when the switch processing catches up.

#255 3 years ago

So I'm a dummy and I had made a fundamental mistake with the lanes mode. Thanks to Gerry and Thomas for helping to set me straight. I eventually figured out that I was adding lanesmode once -per screen- and never killing it, so the checks were multiplied by the number of screens I had been to with that character. No wonder it was acting super crazy.

Now that that is fixed, I believe the data bugs are fixed as well. I'll have to play another round to confirm on the machine! Once I have things just a hair more polished (I have a small bug list to fix/verify from last night's test), then I will film it!

#256 3 years ago

I've been through a goodly chunk of my list and there were actually a ton of bugs that appear to have been caused by the lane issue - that, or the bugs I noted last night do not happen in the simulator. I think it more likely that several dozen instances of the one mode might have been causing a bunch of problems.... in real gameplay, obviously you hit the lanes a lot more often than you do in the simulator.

Anyway, just a few more tweaks to make before I push out the next build.

#257 3 years ago

Anybody want to see a stream tomorrow between 2-3PM Eastern? I should have things in reasonable enough polished shape to actually show some stuff.

Keep in mind this is what I consider "pre-alpha" code, so though the game is / should be able to be completed by any character class, there might be some nasty, annoying bugs that will require me to say, "there's a bug" or "that shouldn't be happening". Pretty handy to have them on video to go back and review!

If you're interested, I'll plan on being on Youtube tomorrow. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu44hGGMU6DAhe8nZoO0xkw

#258 3 years ago

I'm curious how you're viewing this game from a replayability standpoint. I used to love Sierra games like King's and Space Quest. They were super fun, but given their linear nature, they were more about figuring out the puzzles rather than playing them over and over to try and find better ways to do things. Is this more a figure out THE way to do things, or try to accomplish the BEST way to do things? I'm not judging either way. It's just that I've been following this thread from the beginning and I'm still not sure whether this is more of a Sierra game within a pinball machine, or a pinball game within a Sierra game.

Thoughts?

#259 3 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Anybody want to see a stream tomorrow between 2-3PM Eastern?

Definitely!

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I used to love Sierra games like King's and Space Quest. They were super fun, but given their linear nature, they were more about figuring out the puzzles rather than playing them over and over to try and find better ways to do things.

This is still a linear game - you have to progress through the game's puzzles to complete it.
The non-linearity comes from playing it with different character classes and the randomized nature of certain events. In some instances, more than one solution to a puzzle is available to a particular character class. In that instance, it's figuring out the BEST solution for that character. Inferior solutions for that character class award fewer points.

In other instances, there will only be one solution.

This, for me, is about learning how to write a P3 game, and sharing one of my favorite games in a new way with people at shows. That said, once I figured out the solutions to Sierra games, I would replay them endlessly, attempting to shave off time or to approach puzzles in different ways. I expect the legs from this game will be found in that way, and in playing as a different character class, as mentioned above. If I get bored with it, I'll add in some extra fun optional pinball side activities. I've already added a few.

I have something else in development that is more traditionally pinbally, but QFG is my "if you could make only one game, what would you do" kinda game, and the P3 is the only platform that makes this marriage of pinball and adventure game possible.

#261 3 years ago

This is still a linear game - you have to progress through the game's puzzles to complete it.
The non-linearity comes from playing it with different character classes and the randomized nature of certain events. In some instances, more than one solution to a puzzle is available to a particular character class. In that instance, it's figuring out the BEST solution for that character. Inferior solutions for that character class award fewer points.
In other instances, there will only be one solution.
This, for me, is about learning how to write a P3 game, and sharing one of my favorite games in a new way with people at shows. That said, once I figured out the solutions to Sierra games, I would replay them endlessly, attempting to shave off time or to approach puzzles in different ways. I expect the legs from this game will be found in that way, and in playing as a different character class, as mentioned above. If I get bored with it, I'll add in some extra fun optional pinball side activities. I've already added a few.
I have something else in development that is more traditionally pinbally, but QFG is my "if you could make only one game, what would you do" kinda game, and the P3 is the only platform that makes this marriage of pinball and adventure game possible.

Again, don't take my question as critique. Having read the whole thread, I remember early comments where you talked about using your favorite game as a training ground to learn how to work in the P3 environment. As such, even if your response was "this game will be lame after you figure out how to get through it the first time, I just made it to have fun learning how to make it..." that would still be a totally understandable response. It's your labor of love and an introduction to the development side of P3. But from the sounds of it, it has some inherent replayability on a couple fronts; variety based on character class, and some efficiency measures (I got further or did X faster/better). Roadshow and Pinball Magic are both linear and that doesn't diminish them from being legit, fun pinball games.

As Gerry has said from way back when the P3 was just a PVC-based twinkle in his eye, part of the allure of the platform is being able to make such a wide variety of games. We obviously all like pinbally games, but part of the fun of having the P3 is being able to tack on less pinbally stuff to really round out the experience. I think it's super cool that you're potentially adding to that ecosystem.

#262 3 years ago

No worries! I am always happy to discuss how the game works or the thought process behind how it is constructed.

#263 3 years ago

Anybody want to see a stream tomorrow between 2-3PM Eastern?

Yes please! And can you make it available to watch later, I think that is in the middle of the night for me.

#264 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

And can you make it available to watch later, I think that is in the middle of the night for me.

Absolutely. That's why I stream on YouTube. Always available to watch later.

#265 3 years ago

Your fans will be watching Nick! Count me in!

#266 3 years ago

Looks like it's live at:

Should be able to watch the recording later too.

- Gerry

#267 3 years ago

Thanks Gerry! And thanks to everyone that tuned in! Some bugs, but not horrible.

#268 3 years ago

I made a list of the bugs encountered in the stream, most pretty minor. The worst offender was saving the game and not being able to overwrite the current health.

This was caused by my disabling an event handler in the lane award method whilst troubleshooting a different problem... thinking it was tied to animations I have not yet received, and then leaving it disabled in that build. Whoops.

Another fun one was caused by not clearing the player (removing player data) before loading the player data. This caused all kinds of interesting mismatches in the data that seem to be resolved.

I am working (slowly) through the other issues. Biggest ones remaining involve mode priorities and switch handlers being repeated within various conversation modes. I am going to go through and disable the repeated switch handlers if possible. I've experimented with different priorities for the child modes, and the bounce of the switch is enough to trigger the callout. In a circumstance where I am not able to move the handler to another switch, I'll work on making the debounce time longer (you can set it to wait for x ms upon switch hit before activating the handler). If I did it all over again, I would likely redesign how the talk handlers work in general, but going to try to make the existing code work one more time before throwing in the towel.

I received some good feedback on lightshows from luvthatapex2 that I will work to implement in some fashion, and mocean suggested changing how the character sheet was shown to prevent the crazy flicker on the backglass - that one I'll extend to x seconds instead of 250ms as it is now.

More to come, but really polishing stuff at the moment. You might also have noticed a scoop pop up very briefly in a combat - a little too briefly. I'll extend that window by quite a bit.

#269 3 years ago

Very stubborn bug today at lunch. The game has two different ways to transition between periods within a day. One is to complete the R-E-S-T spelling. The other is via a timer. Each day lasts for 300s, total, so each 1/4 slice is 75s. Pretty simple, huh? Well, some really fun bugs appeared that took a while to resolve.

1) When moving from screen to screen, the time would be reset to Noon. This happened on the stream, and you may have heard me mutter about it. This was fixed by reviewing carefully where and how the data was stored, and ensuring that a handler was called on start of any scene (yes, even interior scenes allow passage of time). The root cause was removing a handler that I needed. I had rewritten the way that the days were calculated a couple of times and didn't update the entire stack. Fun mistake.

2) When advancing time either manually or automatically, night is skipped. This took a REALLY long time to figure out. The handlers involved are straightforward, one was just being called twice in a row. Turned out that that rewrite I mentioned above really bit me here. I set a global time for each transition, then monitor a var that is constantly accruing time until the day changes. The setting for the transition times caused the issue - 0 should be midnight, but based on the rewrite, I was using that for dawn.

3) Half baked rewrites got thrown out now, and I rewrote (for the final time, I'm sure) the way the counter is used. Now the counter is set to the appropriate time every time you leave and enter the scene. During a previous idea, I was automatically setting my counter back to zero whenever a transition occurred. The theory was that I could more easily handle transitions once every 75s then wrap it. I implemented that about 1/2 way, causing all the above havoc.

I rewrote all the dialog handlers to use separate switches to prevent duplication. That seems to work in the simulator, but I'll need to test on the actual game to make sure.

Next up in the bug list - the guild master issues two (or more) waking callouts simultaneously. That should not be. I wrote a little thing to ensure that only one handler per visit was played, made sure it worked in the simulator... and it fails on the stream (or directly before, not sure).

Then I have a situation with the wizard's tower. In the stream I was able to run right up the stairs. There should be a gargoyle that requires me to answer three questions (and has a great voice actor) - at the moment you can completely bypass them! Not sure what I did there, but I bet that's an easy fix.

After that, I need to verify that my time-based fixes have corrected a problem with time-based methods on various screens. I'm pretty sure my time-based fixes have corrected these, but I can never reproduce these issues on the simulator for some reason, so I'll have to test with the next build.

These might sound kinda major, but they're all pretty minor. Probably have most of them resolved tomorrow.

#270 3 years ago

Fixed a couple more bugs last night - the wizard's tower now requires you to answer the riddles to proceed, BUT I discovered several other bugs in a few simple coroutines to allow question answers to wait before input. As it stands, you talk to the gargoyle and he immediately throws you down the mountain.
Effective security!

I was finally able to reproduce the time-based bug in the simulator last night. It required a very particular set of steps on one screen only. I've logged a bug regarding the fix for it (an event was not fired when switching from Talk to Use mode on that screen, preventing instantiation and cleanup of certain modes) as I'll want to check all the other scenes. Fixing this appears to have messed up the inventory display on that one scene, so I'll need to investigate (possibly another missing handler call).

The guild master baffles me a bit. I'll experiment with that today at lunch. If I finish that quickly, it's on to mini-monitor images, or lack thereof.

#271 3 years ago

4 days left on this deal: For any Quest for Glory fans or curious, you can get QFG 1 through 5 for about $8. Requires Steam for Windows. https://www.humblebundle.com/games/sierra-the-3rd

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

4 days left on this deal: For any Quest for Glory fans or curious, you can get QFG 1 through 5 for about $8. Requires Steam for Windows. https://www.humblebundle.com/games/sierra-the-3rd

Fantastic assortment of games in that bundle. Arcanum, QFG, Space Quest, King's Quest (1-7 and episodic), police quest, phantasmagoria, Gabriel knight. Wow. A goodly chunk of the best of the Sierra catalog in one spot.

#273 3 years ago

Fantastic assortment of games in that bundle. Arcanum, QFG, Space Quest, King's Quest (1-7 and episodic), police quest, phantasmagoria, Gabriel knight. Wow. A goodly chunk of the best of the Sierra catalog in one spot.

How did you find the actual content of the bundle? It seems like the more you pay the more you get, but everything I looked at only said vague things like "includes games such as..."

#274 3 years ago

It's split up on the page - donate at least $1 and get these, donate at least $8 get these (including QFG), donate at least $12 get these (including King's Quest and Space Quest).

#275 3 years ago

It's split up on the page - donate at least $1 and get these, donate at least $8 get these (including QFG), donate at least $12 get these (including King's Quest and Space Quest).

Ah...so basically pay $12 and get everything shown on the page. I was reading it wrong.

{Sierra Blasphemy Incoming} -- as much as I loved King's Quest and Space quest, I have to admit that I never heard of QFG until you started developing the P3 version. So...ignorant question, what does your game cover? QFG1?

I want to get this bundle, and I want to play some stuff I haven't played before, but I'll probably avoid all the QFG at this point. Assuming you will make QFG available at some point, I don't want to play the cpu game before the pinball game.

#276 3 years ago

Mine is a remake of the VGA version of QFG 1. Each quest for glory takes place in a different part of the world. The player themselves are persistent (skills earned in prior version can be imported into newer), but otherwise each game is self-contained.

QFG1 came in two flavors - an EGA version that used a text parser, and a VGA version that used the Sierra icon interface. The collection contains both.

#277 3 years ago

Ava and I planned to record an episode yesterday, but she wanted a new build of QFG and I have things a bit broken in my simulator right now, chasing down a couple of bugs.

She hadn't played the build that was present on the last stream, so I'll have her do that this evening and then hopefully (finally) a new episode will be out.

Regarding bugs, I am walking through some underlying stuff that I've put off until the end. Things like customizing my service mode (I'm used to writing games without), ensuring that continue from the start screen works, etc.

Here's the bug list:
1) Game allows for picking "None" on name, which causes all kinds of cool issues, since there is no profile selected. Quickie to fix.
2) Guild Master still using multiple awake callouts. This should be fixed, and I log the callout number that is fired - it's only firing once, so I have something that should be blocking (awake callouts) not blocking for talking callouts. Should be simple, need time.
3) High score table not displaying (it is showing, but far below the rest of the attract stuff - now that problem is identified, I need to finish decorating it as a QFG dialog and then change the display criteria).
4) Create wizard mode, running while game congratulates you on finishing.
5) Gargoyle not showing question options when asking.
6) Gargoyle coroutines not firing, game throwing you out of the screen when start talking should be firing.
7) Continuing game from main menu doesn't load previous scene. I know why this is happening
8) Check walk paths on each screen (as I get new art I try to do this, but I didn't go back through forest scenes and two other screens for sure. Best to check 'em all).
9) Draining twice on home screen rarely causes drain to fail to fire. I think this may be related to a service menu issue I am currently working through. Will advise later!
10) Flash lights for each target as they are struck to provide some visual feedback that the game sees you. I should be able to write a single mode to handle this. Originally going to flash for each shot, but this is far easier and probably more effective.

#278 3 years ago

Thanks to some lateral thinking by Gerry at Multimorphic, I was able to figure out what was wrong with my service mode. The service mode worked fine if you entered from attract, but if entered from any other scene, it would act very oddly.

I heavily customized the beginning and ending of my game, and this customization bit me when interacting with the service mode.

Gerry pointed me to a (new to me) method of logging switches that shows each mode in which the switch is received. This told me that, though the base mode was cleaned when entering the service mode, it was not readded to the queue as I expected. Three quick lines later (a conditional to protect against re-adding if already in the queue), and it all works. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure that one out. Thanks Gerry!

The logging method in question is Multimorphic.NetProcMachine.Logging.Logger.AddSwitchName(). Really super helpful.

#279 3 years ago

I spent about a bit of time last night on the high score table display issue - I think instead of using the built-in, I may fully customize and write my own high score mode. I'm going to pop the high score table and the credits on the backbox display during attract. I'm still thinking about how I want that to look, but I believe I will be able to do so with existing assets and make it look acceptable/presentable.

At lunchtime, I spent some time on the Gargoyle. The way this works is like the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The gargoyle asks you three questions, some of which have amusing answers.

I wrote all of this 'blind' (without testing), and of course, there were problems when I went to actually try it on the stream. I had written a bunch of handlers, but wasn't calling a few of the initial ones, so that was a quick thing to fix...

Next up, my coroutines weren't firing. This is one of two things that prevents dialog from speaking over top of a second callout. I fixed that (related to the handler thing, since the coroutines fire based off audio queues, and the audio wasn't firing...).

Next, the randomizer. The first two questions are static, but the third is something one of three different options. This was written, operating properly, but I couldn't proceed from #2 to the next one... well, it was because I didn't program in the success switch/condition, haha!

All of that is in place, now I just need to figure out why the coroutines are allowing automatic scene exit before the callout is finished. Once that's done, I should be left with a couple less issues.

I also got a big art drop today that will require a bit of time to implement. And 20 images left to have her illustrate. I can't believe how awesome she has been through this whole process - this artwork was done by a team of people originally, and she is redrawing and expanding upon every single background in the game... very impressive.

#280 3 years ago

I've been working on the game (slowly) over the past few days, here's the updated bug list:

1) Create credit/high score table - I've done so, and high scores/credits now loop through on the backglass in attract mode. I'm not sure where high scores are saved, but once I find them, I should be able to load the list into the dialog. Perhaps I should completely customize it. Still thinking on it. As there are a fixed number of points in the game, maybe I should list them with the date earned. That way the list can continue to be added to. If I took that approach, I would need to remove the last line of the high scores when a new one was added.

2) Create wizard mode, running while game congratulates you on finishing.

3) Continuing game from main menu prevents saving upon lane completion. Working on it.

#281 3 years ago

Wrote a high score loader for presentation on the attract mode. I'm going to add another series of scores, then I will work on the saving routines. The trick will be inserting the score into the appropriate line in the file that I am using to load/save. I'll add a date to one of the categories, and that will be continuously rotating with the latest winners. Not exactly a score of the day, but one where anyone has a chance to get their name up on the board.

#282 3 years ago

Hey, high scores (Puzzle Masters) and Heroes of Spielburg are written and saving/loading appropriately!

Alright, next up I am going to try to run through the entire game front to back with all three character classes. I also just got another animation (waterfall) that I am going to try to integrate.

I sent off all of the remaining backgrounds to the artist today, just to show her what she's in for for the rest of the game. Nervously awaiting a response there.

#283 3 years ago

Got a response and a contract for the remaining artwork.

I've been working on some fundamental changes to how the game tracks changes in state. I made some cool assumptions when starting the project and now I cursed myself to rewrite those assumptions to work like reality.

The good news is that loading and saving games works perfectly. Now the only bug is that I need to create a wizard mode. I have a small mechanical adjustment I might make to the game as well.

Over the weekend, I performed tons of runs until I would hit bugs. I logged and fixed over 75 bugs over the weekend. That includes small stuff like the display not clearing when expected, to large stuff like crashes.

#284 3 years ago

There are other, more important things going on in the world.

That said, this weekend, I did take a bit of a mental health break and worked for a couple of hours on the game. Ran through a Fighter playthrough, got up to 250 points, found and fixed a ton of bugs, and now you can reliably work your way through one of three major quests and a variety of minor quests and puzzles.

I am now working to make the Fighter playthrough as reliable as possible, then will move to Magic User, then Thief.

The Magic User will likely be pretty easy - biggest potential problem is casting a spell might not work or might not take off magic points.

The Thief playthrough has multiple scenes which are unique, and I expect the typical series of interaction bugs.

Thankfully with the profile support, I am able to save a game right before there's a bug, fix it up, then retest very quickly.

That said, there's a bug with saving (again) where certain automatic movements of daytime are still saving the game. I'll get that resolved soon (I added a boolean for sleeping and didn't clear it properly). This means that sometimes the game will save when I don't intend.

Little by little.

#285 3 years ago

Minor spoilers for some late-game quests - if you're not interested, skip past this post.

Ready? Alright, so there are three major quests in the game. The first doesn't have an impact on the second, but the second has an impact on the third. The third quest cannot be completed until you complete a few minor quests, and the second major quest.

So some bugs exist in the minor quests that Baba Yaga gives you. You can now appropriately pick the Mandrake root, but I am in the process of troubleshooting/verifying that you can deliver it to Baba Yaga, and that your game will appropriately end if you do not do so in time.

Simultaneously, I am troubleshooting issues with the Brigand Warlock's puzzle room. There are several different things that you have to do in order in order to leave the room, but I have an error that allows you to just walk right out... whoops!

One of the smaller quests, revolving around the Dryad, is now working properly, but a bug related to the quest reward for it appeared during testing. You were unable to pick up the Magic Acorn (due to a callout failing to fire), so you could not create the item that you need to solve the second major quest, leading to... death, if you approach the Brigand Leader.

Completing the third quest should throw you to the final scene, the castle. I will not be able to test this (and the callouts involved) until the other two major quests are working 100%.

Getting there slowly.

#286 3 years ago

Lunchtime today, I finished the playthrough of the fighter, added the victory lap multiball, and wrote the end-of-game handlers! Super cool to be able to take the game all the way through from attract to finish over one or multiple play sessions. Can't wait to do the same on the real hardware, but first... I'm going to do the same for the other character classes.

Here's some stuff to test as Magic User:
1) The Magic User has one additional scene that I have not experienced.
2) Double-check fixes to the fairy circle allow for proper receipt of Dust
3) Add sound effect when money is given. Right now it's silent except for a callout, but it needs a little something extra.
4) If a speaker is selected, they are not 'un-selected' when switching to another action icon. This is problematic if exiting and re-entering a scene, especially for multi-stage dialog. Simple to fix, I just need to remove the selection when switching icons, but I have to do it in each scene with speakers, so will take a little while to run through and fix (there are a surprising number of characters to speak to!).
5) Simple problem (now) with a simple fix, but I haven't done it yet - when dying, your save data is reloaded, but other things which had not yet been saved are still enabled. I've got a method written, just need to call it from the loading routine.
6) Ensure that Bruno gives the appropriate exit speech when leaving the village entrance at noon. I added a coroutine to allow him to finish speaking, but I haven't tested it yet.
7) The Mage's maze.

#287 3 years ago

Up to approximately 200 points in my Magic User playthrough. Everything working well, except for the fairies. Will hopefully have them in order this evening.

I added the fix for loading a save game while a game is in progress and it caused some pretty heinous other problems (overwriting your inventory with default), so I need to figure out a better/more nuanced solution there.

Bruno now gives the correct speech.

#288 3 years ago

Magic User runthrough is complete. I'm going to try to finish the Thief playthrough (and bugfixes) this weekend.

Then the process of placing at least temporary sprites in the scenes begins.

#289 3 years ago

Really loving this thread. (I’m pretty sure I already posted this but whatever) I grew up playing the EGA version of the game, back when it was “Hero’s Quest” and I believe it was all floppy discs. I remember having to learn about memory management and the components of the computer in order to get a lot of games to run.

This P3 game is turning out to be amazing! I was wondering if you could post a handful of the artwork? It’s hard to see from the stream.

Have you considered adding more music? That would really enhance the game quite a bit.
Looking forward to getting a P3 some day soon, and possibly adding this to the collection, or at least trying it out at some point!

#290 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I grew up playing the EGA version of the game, back when it was “Hero’s Quest” and I believe it was all floppy discs.

Absolutely. I never tried the EGA version as a kid (came to it later), but my experience with many games at the time, especially one of the King's Quest games, is memorable for all the times you had to swap the floppies. We had two 5 1/4" drives at the time, but the game ran off of a single drive, so some of the notes I would take would involve which screens required disk swaps. Haha! I haven't tried explaining that to my kids yet, but I wonder if they would understand?

And memory management was always fun in DOS. EMS/XMS, autoexec.bat tweaks. I was one of the people that didn't enjoy the transition to plug and play hardware as I preferred setting my DMA channels and IRQs.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This P3 game is turning out to be amazing! I was wondering if you could post a handful of the artwork? It’s hard to see from the stream.

Thank you so much! I was hoping some were still with me. I will try to post some more today!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Have you considered adding more music? That would really enhance the game quite a bit.

Yes, I have. The music is a complex topic. I just blew through the remainder of my budget on the background artwork. I've reorchestrated a few pieces, and each screen with its own dedicated piece plays that music now (even if original). I would like to reorchestrate the rest or even record multiple versions of more of the songs, but time has been a factor.

I'm also a (terrible) musician, and have thought about recording myself on some of the tracks.

I've also talked with a musician about rearranging the synthesized original midi files and recording with different modules.

None of which have happened. :-/

So long story short, yes, I would love to add more music. As it sits, there is still quite a bit in the game, but some areas just have bird calls (forested areas). I've thought about penning a theme for the forest scenes as well, something quiet and light, adventurey, but again, time is an enemy.

So I will carry on with my current plan of ensuring scenes have appropriate original or reorchestrated music, and go from there. For now.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Looking forward to getting a P3 some day soon, and possibly adding this to the collection, or at least trying it out at some point!

I hope you're able to! My plan is to present a finished game to Activision and see if they are amenable to licensing. We'll see.

I have another game I'm cooking up right now as well. This next one has some really ambitious elements but is more traditionally pinball, and I can sell no problem as it is an original theme. Excited to tell you more about it soon, but first: the thief playthrough must be finished!

#291 3 years ago

Absolutely. I never tried the EGA version as a kid (came to it later), but my experience with many games at the time, especially one of the King's Quest games, is memorable for all the times you had to swap the floppies. We had two 5 1/4" drives at the time, but the game ran off of a single drive, so some of the notes I would take would involve which screens required disk swaps. Haha! I haven't tried explaining that to my kids yet, but I wonder if they would understand?
And memory management was always fun in DOS. EMS/XMS, autoexec.bat tweaks. I was one of the people that didn't enjoy the transition to plug and play hardware as I preferred setting my DMA channels and IRQs.

Thank you so much! I was hoping some were still with me. I will try to post some more today!

Yes, I have. The music is a complex topic. I just blew through the remainder of my budget on the background artwork. I've reorchestrated a few pieces, and each screen with its own dedicated piece plays that music now (even if original). I would like to reorchestrate the rest or even record multiple versions of more of the songs, but time has been a factor.
I'm also a (terrible) musician, and have thought about recording myself on some of the tracks.
I've also talked with a musician about rearranging the synthesized original midi files and recording with different modules.
None of which have happened. :-/
So long story short, yes, I would love to add more music. As it sits, there is still quite a bit in the game, but some areas just have bird calls (forested areas). I've thought about penning a theme for the forest scenes as well, something quiet and light, adventurey, but again, time is an enemy.
So I will carry on with my current plan of ensuring scenes have appropriate original or reorchestrated music, and go from there. For now.

hm... HMMM...... I'm a musician with a fairly extensive (home) studio. Send me something, I may be able to work with it.

#292 3 years ago

I have another game I'm cooking up right now as well. This next one has some really ambitious elements but is more traditionally pinball, and I can sell no problem as it is an original theme. Excited to tell you more about it soon

Oh really?

Without spoiling anything, can you say which playfield module your new venture will use?

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

hm... HMMM...... I'm a musician with a fairly extensive (home) studio. Send me something, I may be able to work with it.

That's awesome. I'll do so and we can chat. Initially I converted individual MIDI channels to sheet music and then found the appropriate real instrument and performer to record them. But as I mentioned, there's lots more that could be done.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Without spoiling anything, can you say which playfield module your new venture will use?

CCR!

I'm up to about 200 points in my Thief playthrough. Lots of bugs squashed. Working on the unique Thief modes now, found and fixed lotsa bugs, as expected. Another two unique scenes, then I should be able to finish the remaining puzzles and finish the playthrough.

My bug list is getting very thin - almost all sprite/animation work left!!

#294 3 years ago

Thief playthrough is complete! Every switch works as expected, all handlers fire, everything functions. Huge milestone, as big as finishing the coding of each scene.

Here's the latest list of bugs:
Add sound effect for giving/receiving money - not enough feedback when you give/receive. Make it more obvious.
Speech selected doesn't unselect when switching icons - this normally isn't an issue, but when coupled with the next bug
Starting dying then starting again screws up player data - caused by a fix to something else. Just have to keep experimenting until I get it right.

Graphical stuff left to do:
Place all sprites/animations.
Place new backgrounds (as received).

These bugs are going to be knocked out shortly. I got a little too aggressive with the player data when adjusting for another bug, introducing this one.

#295 3 years ago

Some background artwork, as promised:
The fairy circle
FairyForest (resized).pngFairyForest (resized).png

The ice cave
FrostGiant (resized).pngFrostGiant (resized).png

Erana's Peace
EranasPeace (resized).pngEranasPeace (resized).png

Magic Shop Interior
MagicShop (resized).pngMagicShop (resized).png

Each of these images does not have any of the animated elements applied to it.

#296 3 years ago

This is great!

#297 3 years ago

Added some new backgrounds today:
Zauberberg
Erasmus' House
Cemetery
Target Range
Kobold's Cave.

I also started working on some animations and image placements.
1) Ghost in the cemetery (I used a new [to me] Math function called PingPong, which was kinda neat).
2) Mandrake in the cemetery
3) Waterfall (animation was provided by the background artist and it humongous. I'm thinking about tweaking it to be a lower resolution as it cases the screen to chug a bit when it's active).

Other animations I have ready to go, but haven't yet added:
1) Falls door
2) Ice giant (Brauggi)

I'll try to get those added, then the rest of the sprites and animations will need to be ripped. The original sprites use colorkeys to make transparency fast (old school trick before computers were fast enough to handle per-pixel transparency. I'm going to do a little research into using colorkeys in Unity (via script), if that's possible. Otherwise, I'll have some artifacting around the edges of the art when I remove the colorkey color. As you might expect, this is an absolute ton of work (you have to export one frame of the original animation at a time). But thankfully, this is possible.

I'll update here as I get through animations and so forth. Good news is that when I build up a little budget, I can replace with updated animations very easily.

The only other thing I have on my to-do is to make certain shots that lack callouts more obvious. Things like using money, but there are a handful of other operations that could do with a sound effect.

#298 3 years ago

A few updates:
1) I have ripped all the original animations that I plan to put into the game. There are a handful that I'll be creating from scratch as well, but there are several dozen that I'll be working on over the coming week (or 5).

2) Colorkeys can't work in the way that I am used to in older/custom game engines in Unity. I guess they really don't want you to use display techniques from the 1980s anymore... I suspect several dozen ImageMagick commands are in my future. (convert test.gif -fuzz 30% -transparent "rgb(0,255,0)" result.png - for example).

3) I've added some more animations and have redone some of the walking animations in screens where there is new artwork.

I think the next time I test the game on real hardware, I'll have most/all of the sprites in place. Very much looking forward to it, as it will be mostly complete at that time and should look fantastic.

#299 3 years ago

So, as usual, I've expanded the scope of what I wanted to accomplish at this time.

I'm going to place not only all of the animations in the game (even for scenes with backgrounds that are not yet delivered), but also all of the sounds.

I need to add a few generic handlers to my scenecontroller script to play some noises, then post to it when appropriate. Very easy to root out all of the correct places to do so as I have a standardized naming scheme for items.

Idea being that there will be more feedback when you do something in the game, and it should feel much more polished as a result.

#300 3 years ago

So, as usual, I've expanded the scope of what I wanted to accomplish at this time.

Hah - That's standard operating procedure for P3 projects.

- Gerry

There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-game-so-you-want-to-be-a-hero-quest-for-glory-pinball/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.