I wrote all kinds of handlers for the inventory last night - it now properly enables/disables the items based on what you have in your inventory. I believe I solved the problem of placement as well. The API calls have proven a bit of a puzzle for me, as the normal way I would do this doesn't track exactly with how the API functions. That said, I am pretty sure I have it working.
To test, I will set up dummy shots and hit the switches to add items. If all goes according to plan, the excess items will render properly (off the screen).
Shifting back and forth for long lists of items will require a bit more work (it's getting confused, positionally), but hopefully I'll have inventory wrapped up today. My brain is constantly swimming in ideas I want to implement, and I can't wait until I'm writing the actual switch/coil code. First thing's first, though - I would like to wire these up in a generic kinda fashion:
Walk - there will be a GUI script called WalkController that will post mode information to WalkMode - within each of these, each scene will have methods, maybe (still solidifying that plan).
Look - same as above, but with LookController/Mode.
Take - ditto
Talk - You see the pattern
Use - This one is a little different - I'll still attach the GUI script to the Use icon, but these items are not scene-dependent. Should work fine.
I'll take my Apron display stuff, once it's done, and turn it into a prefab, then I can just add the ApronDisplay to any other scene and all my work is basically done for each additional screen.
Next, I have to wire up sound - I have some sound playing in my attract currently, and I've read and done some tutorials on ducking and attenuation, but getting this just right is really a goal of mine.
Next, deaths. All Sierra games are known for their interesting and unusual deaths. This takes the place of the traditional end-of-ball or end-of-game. I'll provide a button to restore or restart (or restore automatically if you press start again, and restart automatically after a period of time).
Then I will likely either add another scene, or work on the class selection screen. I have one whipped up, but it is never called. I think I've made a mistake by allowing a player to press start and bypass the class selection. I might want to force it... undecided. This game will be different enough that I am not sure I want a new player just to jump right on in.
Once I have a scene or two under my belt (to give my artist time to catch up to me), I will work on the backbox display. This includes two separate modes - character sheet, and backglass image.
One thing I haven't done a good job of explaining is -why- that day/night cycle is a big deal. I've taught the computer to use an arbitrary measurement of time to equal a day. I set up four separate quarters of the day, and each of those can have separate art or handle things differently. In the game, the encounter rate for monsters will be far higher at night than in the day. My placeholder artwork has been called out by two different art people... I just whipped up a 50% opacity blue image that I am changing the alpha on dynamically. I'd like to add some other touches to the actual art and swap that instead --- just... one thing at a time. Haha!
Once most of that is done, the underpinnings of the game itself are written. Then I can focus on the rules of 'hit switch x to get result y' in each scene. I will have to have separate modes for each scene that handle, for example, talking to character A/B/C.
I will also be working with a sprite animator/illustrator tomorrow... lots to do!