(Topic ID: 271631)

3rd Party P3 Game: Ranger In The Ruins for CCR module - $149 Multimorphic.com!

By bingopodcast

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RITR 3.0.0.2 Update (resized).png
s192260447720677704_p19_i3_w4000 (resized).png
s192260447720677704_p19_i2_w3072 (resized).png
RITR Update (resized).png
RITR2002 (resized).png
RITR21Update (resized).jpg
RITR2Update (resized).jpg
7CF377D7-596B-4004-9CB0-1A7F41B8C46A (resized).jpeg
A44599A9-B74B-43C4-83EF-79E7D5F66DF7 (resized).jpeg
20200914_165958 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200912_143839199 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200909_223438576 (resized).jpg
RITR-Reveal (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_200008_704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

If I recall, there's a free drumming mode in one of the games that uses this drum kit. I wonder if I could take the audio output and route it to the input of the computer and record the raw audio. Hopefully there's not a click track in that mode. Haha!

I’m assuming you have recording software picked out.. buy EZ-drummer and be done! Comes with multiple kit “tones” and MIDI beats so you just drag into the timeline, and you’re done

#33 3 years ago

Hmm, that does look like a nice drum machine software, but unsupported by any of the daw software I'm using. Might give the trial a shot and see! Thanks for the recommendation.

What DAW are you using ?

#38 3 years ago

Well, I'm an old school Ardour user, but I'm trying to work on Windows to make life easier on myself when switching between Unity and vscode, etc. on Windows. I'm fooling around with the new Cakewalk (free, at least for now), and various MIDI sequencers. I spend a lot of time with Audacity normally, but of course Audacity isn't a traditional DAW.
But the main reason for not using a drum machine, is that playing the drums is fun.
EZ-Drummer is about half the cost of a cheap electronic drum kit, so it's the front runner if I need to spend money, but I do worry about hidden costs of a new DAW.
If you have recommendations, let me know!

Good lord, man, update to Reaper! It is FAST. It is phenomenally compatible with anything (hardware, VSTs, etc) I throw at it. It is cross-platform, with identical interfaces on Win, Mac and Linux, and it is FREE.

https://www.reaper.fm/

it takes a few (well-worthwhile) minutes to get used to the interface. throw Cakewalk out the window. We have even started using this DAW over ProTools (we use a fairly large-scale studio sometimes), and ProTools crashes ALL the time. The only -literally- only time Ive had Reaper crash is when I had too many other things open and I was switching between them too quickly, causing memory management issues. Even then most of the time it recovers.

Our rehearsal space has a mac, and I use Windows most of the time, and we trade sessions flawlessly. I even did a recent "live-to-tape" concert video shoot and edited in Reaper. I won't be doing that again, but it DID work out well.

#41 3 years ago

OH MAN I hate Cakewalk! Reaper is a life-saver. Make sure you install these too:
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/reascript.php

You can add markers on the timeline (usually just a visual to delineate verse/chorus/bridge/etc), and if you name them according to their action ID, it will perform that action. We use it live to switch to the next song automatically, or hit the lights, play a video on the LED wall, etc. Also, lots of freeware VSTs keep playing as if there is a key stuck down, and I use it to stop all MIDI notes. Works great.

#50 3 years ago

Haha, thanks! Thankfully, the SDK does a lot of heavy lifting of having something that basically functions out of the gate.
Regarding the Doctor, that's a shameful oversight in my sci-fi studies. I've seen a couple of episodes classic and modern, meant to get back to it, haven't yet.

What! Rectify that ASAP! Start with the renewed version with Chris Eccelston or David Tennant

1 week later
#55 3 years ago

Had some unexpected stuff come up that required me to rearrange my game room and do a bunch of other stuff. That said, I just finished QFG! So today I plan to try recording the drums on my main loop and multiball track.

Too bad we may never get to play it!

#57 3 years ago

When shows happen again, I'll be bringing it around, if nothing else.

Come on Activision!

#67 3 years ago

Well, I just took a peek at how this is configured for the stuff that ships with the SDK and it works as I expected. It'll be no problem to adapt to a different playfield. Stop making everything so simple!

Thanks! I feel I'm moving in slow motion, but trying to maintain some momentum.

It sounds like you are making HUGE progress! I'm excited to finally sit down and start working with the SDK once work calms down.

1 week later
#78 3 years ago

First test! Some bugs, mostly with light shows and multiball, but otherwise worked about like I wanted it to! So rewarding to start flipping a game you've been programming for a while.
The P3 SDK allows you to go from concept to execution extremely quickly.
[quoted image]

Ready to show off a quick video?

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Excited to see more of this, the potential for indie games on the P3 has me seriously thinking about getting one in the future (well, along with Heist). Really like the sounds of this so far.

Totally. Heist already sold me, and now i'm toying with starting up my own custom game - a music pin based on Rush!

1 week later
#89 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Now I just need to save up for a P3....

Just need mine to be delivered!

What playfield does RITR require again ?

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Never! But it is a lot of money up front, I realize the long term cost savings make it worth it, but hard for me to get to that ammount before buying something else...plus with bars on so many restrictions havenn't been making the pinball big bucks as of late.

I thought the same thing until I ran the numbers - if you look at a Stern LE
or a regular JJP game which is comparable in terms of quantity of features, it lines up quite well. Plus you can add a new game every so often. I’m already thinking about CCR

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Oh I agree, but I'm not buying LEs or JJP games, I'm buying solid state project games and the occasional stern pro.

Copy that. Well ok - that’s definitely gonna be a price jump !

#108 3 years ago

Aw yeah, my new lightshows work properly (after a little tweaking tonight). I managed to introduce a tilt bug somehow, but once I find that, we should be moving towards release candidate status. Hopefully this weekend (I feel it's more likely now)

This thread has me really psyched to get back to setting up; work has been a nightmare recently. Thanks for the continuous updates! Once this is available I’ll have no further excuses not to get a CCR Playfield!

2 weeks later
#121 3 years ago

That was really fun to check out! I've been watching more and more of Kevin's streams, really
Enjoyed that last night. Game
Looks really Creative, fun idea and gameplay.

Loved The CCR battle that followed too!

#127 3 years ago

Thanks you guys! You're too kind.
@rdoyle I am not sure I answered your question on the stream about music. I wrote a few tracks for the game, but getting them into shape was a very time-consuming challenge. I haven't played or recorded any music since the early 2000s, so it's been a while.
It just wasn't shaping up quickly enough for me to get my programming ideas down, so I ended up going the easier way and looking for music to license that fit the gameplay.
In the Buffalo stream, you might have heard about 5 or 6 different tracks - there are more available as well. Some are slow builds, some are driving like the main theme. Each was included for a specific reason, and to cater to different tastes.
I am excited that the game has been so well received! I have received a couple of minor suggestions, thank you for those as well, and I am taking them all seriously. If I can answer any questions, I am more than happy to do so. I am enjoying seeing people play with either the default or modified settings. I tried to make a game that would appeal to many tastes (including my own).
Lastly, if you have Cosmic Cart Racing, why not treat yourself this weekend and grab a copy of Ranger In The Ruins?

Thanks, I remember you saying you were going to do some recording, but must have missed where you switched to the licensed tracks. Good choices!

As a musician myself, I totally understand the decision - a LOT of work goes into recording tracks and making them sound good, and sometimes the end result doesn’t convey all the effort. Time is better spent on rules and bugs in this case! Thanks again. Haven’t gotten my P3 in the house yet but this will be one of the first games I play!

#139 3 years ago

Man, hoping my P3 comes up soon!

3 months later
#160 3 years ago

I need to hurry up and get the CCR playfield so I can grab my copy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-game-ranger-in-the-ruins?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.