(Topic ID: 271631)

3rd Party P3 Game: Ranger In The Ruins for CCR module - $149 Multimorphic.com!

By bingopodcast

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RITR 3.0.0.2 Update (resized).png
s192260447720677704_p19_i3_w4000 (resized).png
s192260447720677704_p19_i2_w3072 (resized).png
RITR Update (resized).png
RITR2002 (resized).png
RITR21Update (resized).jpg
RITR2Update (resized).jpg
7CF377D7-596B-4004-9CB0-1A7F41B8C46A (resized).jpeg
A44599A9-B74B-43C4-83EF-79E7D5F66DF7 (resized).jpeg
20200914_165958 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200912_143839199 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200909_223438576 (resized).jpg
RITR-Reveal (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_200008_704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm really digging the game! Deceptively fun.

Awesome, thank you! That means a lot.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Is there a way to delete just the item scoreboard? Toyguy had the idea and I like it since I'll never beat the default numbers, but I don't want to erase my high scores.

I believe there is, it may be in system settings... Toyguy or gstellenberg can you confirm the menu to go into to reset it? If they are unable to respond before I get back to my game tonight I'll find out and post back!

Quoted from Cheeks:

Also, how often are you supposed to find the item that explains the other items?

It's rare, and it sounds like you've got some rough luck. There is nothing additional you need to do to see the data from it.

Quoted from Cheeks:

It's been fun trying to figure out what the items do. Thanks for a fun little game and for keeping the thread spoiler-free.

Again, I truly appreciate that you're enjoying it as it was intended to be enjoyed. Tell your friends!

Quoted from Cheeks:

I can't wait to see what else you some up with!

I try to make every game as different as I can, and at this point, I can say that I hope everyone will enjoy the next game as well!

#152 3 years ago

Awesome to see this getting so much attention.

Just a quick head's up that today (Wed 9/16/20) is the last day to get the Extended Heist Launch Special pricing on a P3. So you could buy a P3 with Cosmic Cart Racing, save nearly $1000 and buy Ranger in the Ruins with a fraction of those savings. Or you could buy the Complete P3 Package and get every game kit available, and save $2000! This is a great opportunity to get into the platform and save a lot of dough in the process.

Multimorphic.com if any of you are ready to pull the trigger.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Is there a way to delete just the item scoreboard? Toyguy had the idea and I like it since I'll never beat the default numbers, but I don't want to erase my high scores.

I believe there is, it may be in system settings... Toyguy or gstellenberg can you confirm the menu to go into to reset it? If they are unable to respond before I get back to my game tonight I'll find out and post back!

Nope, I was wrong. Only way is to zero out both score tables.

It is under Settings->statistics

#154 3 years ago

Nope, I was wrong. Only way is to zero out both score tables.
It is under Settings->statistics

AAARRRGGG!!!

Yeah, I saw that one. I was hoping there was an individual way I didn't realize. Well, I'd love to track items too, so I guess I better blow it out now before I get any higher scores.

Oh well. Any BTW...I meant to mention that the music is awesome too! I know you were contemplating making your own, but what you picked to go with this is great. Did you mention there were different types of music you can select? I don't want anything different, but if there's something else to try, I might as well check it out.

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

BTW...I meant to mention that the music is awesome too! I know you were contemplating making your own, but what you picked to go with this is great.

Thank you! I may come back to my original compositions at some point...

Quoted from Cheeks:

Did you mention there were different types of music you can select? I don't want anything different, but if there's something else to try, I might as well check it out.

Yes! There are 8 different tracks.

2 weeks later
#156 3 years ago

RITR has been updated to v1.0.0.1.

This release fixes a few graphical issues and corrects a bug for some local-only users.

https://www.multimorphic.com//manager/p3_release_notes/RITR_1.0.0.1_ReleaseNotes.txt

#157 3 years ago

Just bought this and really enjoying it. Loving the graphics, music and lightshows. And the lighter and gas mask are my favourite items so far. You’ve done a fantastic job with this.

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from mjfisher:

You’ve done a fantastic job with this.

Thank you so much. It's such a thrill to see people enjoy something you've made, and getting feedback like this really makes my day.

2 months later
#159 3 years ago

Multimorphic just released a new version of the SDK and I am already at work on some new RITR upgrades (along with other games). More to come!

#160 3 years ago

I need to hurry up and get the CCR playfield so I can grab my copy!

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is no diss to CCR (I like the career mode quite a bit) but RITR is our most played game on that playfield. Anyone that owns the CCR playfield and doesn't own RITR is seriously missing out. HANDS DOWN the best mini game on the entire P3 platform.

Mini rant about RITR: I've owned since release, and I still have not gotten the encyclopedia (or whatever it is that tells you what the items do). So, I still have no idea the function of many of the items. How many total items are there? We just recently started cataloging items so we could get a count on how many we've gotten and how many we have left to figure out the functions of.

Also, it has been far more than your allotted ~70 days for your next game. Blah, blah fixing QfG...we want...err...DEMAND new content.

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thank you - I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Quoted from Cheeks:

This is no diss to CCR (I like the career mode quite a bit) but RITR is our most played game on that playfield. Anyone that owns the CCR playfield and doesn't own RITR is seriously missing out. HANDS DOWN the best mini game on the entire P3 platform.

Wow! That is a huge compliment. Thank you!

Quoted from Cheeks:

Mini rant about RITR: I've owned since release, and I still have not gotten the encyclopedia (or whatever it is that tells you what the items do). So, I still have no idea the function of many of the items. How many total items are there? We just recently started cataloging items so we could get a count on how many we've gotten and how many we have left to figure out the functions of.

Good feedback! I seeded the item allotment for internet-connected P3s a bit differently than those on a local machine, and intentionally made the encyclopedia fairly rare. Good news is that I can tweak the seeding at any time without the need for an update (behold the power of the Internet). I've made small tweaks here and there since release, but I'll go in and make a larger one when this update drops.

Regarding how many - there are (were?) 21 unique items.

...and regarding cataloging items, I was hoping that some would start doing exactly that - throwback to graphing out a dungeon on graph paper or writing down scroll or potion effects in nethack or rogue.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Also, it has been far more than your allotted ~70 days for your next game

Uh oh. Haha! I believe I have the final(?) bug in QFG, which means I can contact Activision and see if they are willing to allow release commercially or as a fan game under license (free). I'm leaning towards the latter, so that should keep you busy for a minute, hopefully!

Regarding another game - well, I have a couple in development already!

The next minigame (which will use the Heist playfield module) just got a name and a domain. My younger daughter is working with me on the design. My current plan is to make it 3D, which has necessitated my going back to Unity school to learn how the engine works with another dimension. I've written rudimentary 3D engines in the past, so I've got a small leg up, and have worked in prehistoric versions of Blender. Long story short, that's gonna take me a bit longer than 72 days if I stick with 3D!
My daughter and I have the basic rule structure worked out, and I've started looking into how the ball interacts with the mechanisms on the Heist module.

I just have to program it, get all the assets loaded and rigged and animating, and figure out why this camera won't display anything but the skybox when it's pointing right at the scene I've made.

Uh, so all that said, you'll see something soon...ish?

But again, thank you - I really value the feedback and the fact that you want to see something else from me makes me pretty doggone happy.

#163 3 years ago

Congrats on the TWIPPY nomination, Nick! So cool to see 3rd party games getting recognized!

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Congrats on the TWIPPY nomination, Nick! So cool to see 3rd party games getting recognized!

Thank you, very honored just to be nominated alongside the major players.

Congratulations to you as well - hopefully you'll add Rookie of the Year to your list of accomplishments soon! Heist is an incredible game and deserves all the accolades.

#165 3 years ago

If anyone is interested in the other game I've made for the P3, I will be streaming Quest For Glory tomorrow, 1/3/21 at 10 Eastern.

I'll be attempting to show a large percentage of the game and will be inviting folks from the classic computing / adventure game community to join. It will likely be a couple of hours or until I get tired of dying.

Keep in mind that I'm not a streamer by trade, but I am proud of the work I've done and want to share it.

https://youtube.com/nicholasbaldridge

1 week later
#166 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone who tuned into the stream on QFG - if you're not following that thread, the game is ready for another serious round of physical testing after some rewrites necessitated by a few bugs that popped up on stream. Rewrite complete, and now I just need to see if the changes I've made are for the better...

RITR update is proceeding well! Features I have left to build are shrinking, and testing is proceeding well in simulator for the new features I am adding.

My punch list contains 8 more items - I hope to be finished and testing on the physical machine this weekend.

A new distraction arrived in the form of Cannon Lagoon today, though...

#167 3 years ago

A new distraction arrived in the form of Cannon Lagoon today, though...

...that f'n kracken!

2 weeks later
#168 3 years ago

Ranger In The Ruins 2.0.0.0 is live!

The new version adds a wizard mode + game end, Twitch Connect support, some new items and very very minor display bug fixes.

This version requires an updated module driver, 2.2.0.5 (or higher), also available today on the Multimorphic site - be sure to install along with the new version of RITR!

The wizard mode is tied to the number of items you receive in a game. I've modified the default item high scores to make them (much) lower. Reset your high scores if you're having trouble getting to the new mode. You'll be constantly compared against your best run, though, so make it count!

Twitch Connect was fun to add - I've added the ability to bring in a ghost, reverse or invert the flippers, change the radio station, and immediately grant an extra ball (if EB is allowed in operator settings). Each of these can be gated behind an amount of bits (if partnered) or disabled individually.

https://www.multimorphic.com//manager/p3_release_notes/RITR_2.0.0.0_ReleaseNotes.txt

Download today!

#169 3 years ago

Ranger In The Ruins 2.0.0.0 is live!
The new version adds a wizard mode + game end, Twitch Connect support, some new items and very very minor display bug fixes.
This version requires an updated module driver, 2.2.0.5 (or higher), also available today on the Multimorphic site - be sure to install along with the new version of RITR!
The wizard mode is tied to the number of items you receive in a game. I've modified the default item high scores to make them (much) lower. Reset your high scores if you're having trouble getting to the new mode. You'll be constantly compared against your best run, though, so make it count!
Twitch Connect was fun to add - I've added the ability to bring in a ghost, reverse or invert the flippers, change the radio station, and immediately grant an extra ball (if EB is allowed in operator settings). Each of these can be gated behind an amount of bits (if partnered) or disabled individually.
https://www.multimorphic.com//manager/p3_release_notes/RITR_2.0.0.0_ReleaseNotes.txt
Download today!

Awesome!! Can't wait to try it.

1 week later
#172 3 years ago

Well, well, what have we here?

Version 2.0.0.1 is live. It contains fixes for a ball launch bug and Twitch-Connect improvements. You can download it from the Multimorphic site!

RITR21Update (resized).jpgRITR21Update (resized).jpg

1 month later
#173 2 years ago

Just played RitR at SevenEightyRacer ’s place and dang what an addicting game. I played game 1, asked Ryan a question on how to play and before he told me I was pressing start again.

Can’t wait to get a p3!

Congrats Nick on the great game! Can’t wait to see the next one and I’m excited to get going on making games as well

#174 2 years ago

Thanks @northvibe! Very glad to hear that you like it. My next game is deep in alpha now.

3 weeks later
#175 2 years ago

There's something I'm not sure I understand.
In roguelikes, when you encounter the ghost of another player, that ghost represents a collection of decisions and outcomes for that player over the course of the game. What class they chose, what spells they researched, what unique set of gear they got. Each one is a snowflake, essentially. Unless it's a player who just died right away at level one before their character had time to become unique. Are the ghosts in this game each unique in a way that affects the gameplay, or do they just give you one of 23 items? If they just give you one of 23 items, is that basically the same as just a chest with a random number generator inside it, aesthetics aside?

I am NOT here to criticize the game, just trying to understand. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.

#176 2 years ago

Each player holds an item (if they picked one up during their run). In that way they do function as chests. But they're not randomized.

As in a game like Rogue, there's a single (seemingly simple) goal. The items you find along the way help you get to that goal (hopefully).

Once you get to the goal, another task occurs. This is similar to the final task in Nethack. The items you've found have a big impact on if you will see this outcome.

So as in Nethack or Rogue, the way you traverse the 'dungeon' is only one factor. I've removed the traversal aspect as a way of streamlining the gameplay traversal becomes automatic, as in an endless runner. The ghosts are like hero's corpses in Nethack, but streamlined. You don't pick up every item they were carrying. The item presented is the last they were holding when they died.

I hope that makes sense. I'm trying not to give away too much of the endgame.

--edit-- I should also mention that previous successful runs change the endgame of future runs.

2 months later
#177 2 years ago

The next minigame (which will use the Heist playfield module) just got a name and a domain. My younger daughter is working with me on the design. My current plan is to make it 3D, which has necessitated my going back to Unity school to learn how the engine works with another dimension. I've written rudimentary 3D engines in the past, so I've got a small leg up, and have worked in prehistoric versions of Blender. Long story short, that's gonna take me a bit longer than 72 days if I stick with 3D!
My daughter and I have the basic rule structure worked out, and I've started looking into how the ball interacts with the mechanisms on the Heist module.

Well, it took longer than 72 days, but my new game is out! Silver Falls is available here: https://www.multimorphic.com/store/p3-game-kits/3rd-party-game-kits/silver-falls/

and some more info and fun streams of the game are available here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-game-silver-falls

Thanks again to everyone for their support, and Sophia and I hope you like the new game as well!

1 month later
#178 2 years ago

Hello Rangers:

I've started a newsletter that will be sent approximately once a quarter (though an out-of-turn update might occur when a new game is released). If you would like to keep up with games, books, and podcasts in which I play a part, feel free to sign up here:

http://eepurl.com/hFW5aX

I'm always working on tons of stuff that I'd love to share with you.

8 months later
#179 1 year ago

Version 2.0.0.2 of Ranger in the Ruins is available for download now - primarily this release adds Flipper Upgrade Kit support. Download it over Wifi directly to your P3 or install via USB in System Manager.

RITR2002 (resized).pngRITR2002 (resized).png

5 months later
#180 1 year ago

Hey all, reminder that the White Rose Gameroom Show is happening in York, PA next week(!) October 7-8.

I will be on hand with all of my P3 games, homebrew and commercial, released so far, including:

(Homebrew) Quest For Glory in its first public appearance! Play, save your progress, come back and resume your game later! Earn achievements and try to finish the game with all three character classes!

(Commercial) Ranger In The Ruins (this game) - the popular pinball roguelike playable on the Cosmic Cart Racing playfield. Run through the ruins of a former civilization to find the sum of all knowledge, acquiring items from the ghosts of past players from all over the world!

(Commercial) Silver Falls - choose your avatar from dozens of choices, furnish rooms, and clear special modes to progress through your home! Play Team Games with other attendees to make more progress and hear more of the excellent Scott Danesi chillhop soundtrack!

(Commercial) Flipper Foxtrot Rhythm Explosion - sometimes the P3 just wants to dance! Choose a song, and one of five difficulties, then show me your skills! Happy to play a game against you and see how I stack up.

I will have a TV display (this is my first year trying this, so we'll see how it holds up) with a countdown timer showing when the game will be changed over. Come back often!

--Non-P3 Games--

I also work with bingo collectors and help maintain and teach people about bingo pinball machines in Bingo Row. As part of that I'll be bringing two custom games.

(Homebrew) Multi-Bingo - 142 playable games, total, this year with a 20 hole playfield installed (which limits the number of games to 15, but they are very unique).

(Homebrew) Multi-Races - 39 playable games, total, a mixture of payout and replay versions. This is the first year it will be shown with Joel de Guzman's excellent backglass artwork! Win a custom token that you can keep!

Earning a 4 or 5 in a line on any of the games in Bingo Row will allow you to win a unique promo item for my next game: Drained. This game has not yet been released (and will not make an appearance this year), but I'll be bringing a very limited number of vinyl postcards containing a medley of the songs from the game! These postcards can be played on a record player, and include a QR code for streaming.

Beyond all of the games, I'm looking forward to meeting more of you and hearing your thoughts about the games I've made. It's very rewarding to be able to share a creative work with many people. Please say hello!

1 week later
#181 1 year ago

Thank you to all who played Ranger In The Ruins at the White Rose (York) show this past weekend!

It was a lot of fun to watch people play and figure out the games' rules on-the-fly. The initial game would typically be over fairly quickly, but additional games were queued up immediately, over and over again. Once the player started accruing items, the game really opened up for them.

I look forward to bringing it again to the next show I attend!

8 months later
#182 8 months ago

An update is available for Ranger In the Ruins in System Manger!
Earn Medals and explore the new features in the Ruins.
Enhanced operator functions, improved light show performance, and lots more.
RITR Update (resized).pngRITR Update (resized).png

2 weeks later
#183 8 months ago

Need some help navigating through the Ruins? Score/Instruction apron magnets are now available in the For Amusement Only Games web shop:

https://for-amusement-only-games-llc.square.site/product/ranger-in-the-ruins-score-instruction-apron-magnet/19

s192260447720677704_p19_i3_w4000 (resized).pngs192260447720677704_p19_i3_w4000 (resized).png
s192260447720677704_p19_i2_w3072 (resized).pngs192260447720677704_p19_i2_w3072 (resized).png

#184 8 months ago

A very small update for RITR was just released.
Version 3.0.0.1 Release Notes:
<Install CCR Module Driver 2.3.1.0>
Fixed - Light show priority changes prevented flashing of side target lamps when certain items acquired.

Thank you to all who reported, and thank you for playing!

7 months later
#185 6 days ago

Version 3.0.0.2 is out now - just in time for the weekend - thank you to Jediturtle for reporting one of the issues!

RITR 3.0.0.2 Update (resized).pngRITR 3.0.0.2 Update (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 17.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Various novelties
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-game-ranger-in-the-ruins/page/4?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.