Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Leveling HD v4 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160624_174513_(resized).jpg
daftpunk2014-anim.gif
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

One of our main goals with Multimorphic and the P3 is to bring new ideas and innovations into an industry that's seen very little change in a long time. This list shows many of the features we've already implemented and shown (or discussed) publicly.

Multiple physical games via swappable upper playfield modules
8-ball physical ball lock (LL-EE)
Multi-featured ramp locks/accelerators (CCR)
3-axis crane with integrated bash target and magnet for carrying balls (Heist)
Rapid fire ball launching out of multiple VUKs
Network head-to-head gameplay (local and internet)
Twitch-Connect - Giving Twitch viewers a way to participate in gameplay
Interactive lower p/f artwork
The smoothest RGB fading in the industry
Dynamic shot labeling and instructions
Scores / status / animations in the playfield (where you're looking while playing)
10-second cabinet artwork swaps
60-second physical playfield swaps
'endless' ball trough (capable of holding more balls than one would ever need in a pinball game)
Wall/Scoop assembly
Open platform mechanicals
Best-in-breed servicability
Handicap accessibility: one-handed play
Player removal
Player profiles
Optionally different game-settings per play in the same game
Team play (balanced or unbalanced)
Game save/restore
Global and event-specific audits and high score tables
Digital leveling
Force-detection integrated into gameplay
Publicly available game development kit
Optional backbox display w/ dynamic content and/or game translite images
Free game trials
USB and Bluetooth Headphone support

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#2 10 years ago

Nice Gerry! I cannot wait to see this at Expo. The P3 is definitely bringing a lot of innovation to the table!
--Scott

#3 10 years ago

Bummed I won't be making the trip to TPF this year (spent too much money on pins, doh!) to see the much more feature rich version.

#4 10 years ago

One of the bigger feature's that I love about the P3 (aside from the fact that it's still physical pinball using appropriate/modern mechanicals) and seems to have been down-played up to this point, is the fact that the first two games, Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl and Cosmic Cart Racing, will be utilizing the Unity game engine.

Not only is this great news for players, who'll be experiencing the richest truly interactive playfield artwork in the industry, this is also great news for developers! In pinball, the same game can change from ball to ball or shot to shot, so why shouldn't the playfield artwork? No longer do we have to give the player pre-rendered, looping videos, instead let's actually allow them change the course of the pinball universe with contextually interactive relevance!

Rory

#5 10 years ago

With 7 pins in my basement and another in a friend's, you could say I ran out of space (and my wife's patience) a long time ago - very excited to see a pinball platform where I could potentially have dozens of different real pinball tables ready to swap out of one cabinet. Nice blend between the real deal and my VP cab.

#6 10 years ago

The biggest -- and still best one -- is not the interactive "artwork," but the interactive shots you can hit on the playfield screen that move, change, and/or disappear. And that the playfield registers exactly where the ball is.

#7 10 years ago

Seriously, everyone try to check this game out at TFP. It is no longer a cool tech demo, It's now a pretty awesome game. The modes they have implemented are actually really creative and put the screen to great use. It's by far the best "Light Show" I've ever seen when you hit jackpots and lock balls, as the on screen animations are really cool. The 8 ball physical lock is awesome, and The blackout mode is really cool. And the score window right below the flippers if pretty awesome too for keeping track of your progress, as long as you remember to look at it, because quite frankly there is a lot of cool stuff going on all over the playfield. The screen is definitely not a gimmick, it enhances the game in every way.

I also had Gerry demonstrate how quick it was to swap the artwork and to pull out the upper playfield module as well as the lower playfield parts. This game is going to be incredibly easy to service, change up, and modify. The idea of having my own custom artwork easily created and slapped on my machine without devaluing it's resale value is really exciting. I can have my own Silvercade artwork created for the magnetic cabinet art and translite, and then if I need to later sell the machine, I can just slap the original artwork on there and keep mine for wall art. I wish I could do that with my mame cabinet that easily!

This is the first version of the game that truly shows you the full potential of the platform, and you really owe it to yourself to see how far they have come.

#8 10 years ago

"Open source code"

This is what excites me... Being able to go in and write my own code... or tweak game play. No more wishing (insert Manufacturer here) would release an update.

My tastes have certainly moved from the "prepackaged" to the make it your own project.

PROC and hopefully P3 will be the platforms more and more people do their own projects on. Already happened... and soon maybe we'll all get to participate in this longer term development media.

#9 10 years ago

This is by far the best technological step forward for pinball since DMD. To me DMD or LCD, doesn't matter, if it is up in the backbox it doesn't really matter that much for the player since you have to literally stop tracking the ball to even glance. The potential for user created or modified games is massive with the P3. I might just make the drive to TPF for P3 alone. Super excited about what lies ahead for the P3!

#10 10 years ago

Exciting stuff, Gerry.... Looking forward to the future updates.

#11 10 years ago

making room in my arcade for this one.
finally an evolutionary leap for pins
imagine how amazing Tron would be if it had only been built on this platform.

daftpunk2014-anim.gifdaftpunk2014-anim.gif

#12 10 years ago

just a question. Since the code is open sourced does this mean that all games will be original? I am not an expert but it is my understanding the most license holders have pretty strict quality control over the license.

#13 10 years ago

Just another comment about Gerry and team: when you have a good idea, they listen. Not saying they're going to cater to everyone's whims and wishes, but it speaks to their willingness to listen to the voice of the customer and implement if it makes sense.

#14 10 years ago

This is the only game made that has any innovative advancements moving pinball into the next generation. P3 is the shit.

Thinking outside the box on so many areas. Fantastic.

#15 10 years ago

It's true.

The plasticity that open source projects offer would allow for offshoots of full (open source) games or even certain modes/portions of a game. Combine that with a freely accessed marketplace of user created projects and the potential for this machine bringing you limitless gameplay is astounding. Not to mention the fact that developers can opt to use pre-existing upper playfield modules integrated into their own games, therefore even further lowering the overhead which game development tends to have.

As such, at the other end of the spectrum, the P3 most likely will offer the ability for developers to not share in whole or part their games and/or playfield modules. This option of course will help keep the marketplace viable for pay-to-play hardcore developers who do this for a living. Although it's always encouraged to share and share alike.

Rory

#16 10 years ago

It's cool for me to see different people pick out different features as their favorites. That means we either bribed the right people or made some good architectural decisions (or both).

Quoted from jamieflowers:

just a question. Since the code is open sourced does this mean that all games will be original? I am not an expert but it is my understanding the most license holders have pretty strict quality control over the license.

Our first two games are original themes (Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl and Cosmic Cart Racing), and they'll be open source. We're absolutely considering various licensed themes for future games, and as you suspect, it's highly unlikely those will be, or even can be, open source.

We're trying to foster an open development paradigm for pinball. Our P-ROC software stack and pyprocgame development environment have been open for years, and the pinball community has greatly benefited because of it. P3 game software will continue that trend as much as possible.

I think it's also worth stating that we don't think of open-sourcing game software as an excuse to, or a reason to, ship games with incomplete software. For the kind of money you are spending for pinball machines, you shouldn't have to be beta (or even alpha) testers. Expect more and vote with your money.

- Gerry

#17 10 years ago

I'll be a beta/alpha tester!
Licensed pinball themes being closed source makes some degree of sense and would understand the need to do it. However, I'd think that the code itself wouldn't need to be closed source... just the art / media files.

#18 10 years ago

Awesome, thank you for your replies. I am very excited for the pin

#19 10 years ago

You know what would be awesome and innovative?

An HD video of the game being played.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

It's coming. I promise.

We've got one video in editing now, and I'll do a full rules-walkthrough either next week or right after TPF.

The game improves substantially week after week. Deciding to do a video when the next big feature is just about ready is tough! By the time you see the video, everything you might point out will have already been addressed. Heh - we should put it on an around-the-clock live webstream.

- Gerry

#21 10 years ago

you could always do the crappy cell phone video like Stern

#22 10 years ago

For those of us not able to stare at the P3 all the time, yeah a live webstream would be AWESOME!

Rory

#23 10 years ago

How far away is this game from production?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

How far away is this game from production?

I would honestly love to give you a specific production date, but doing so would be irresponsible.

We've basically designed and built Multimorphic and the P3 on our own dime, with unpaid employees and help from passionate members of the pinball community. From these modest beginnings and resources, we now have:

- (arguably) The industry's most powerful and extensible control system (P-ROC/P3-ROC + PDBs)
- (arguably) The easiest to use and most feature rich software pinball framework(s) (pyprocgame and netprocgame)
- A P3 library/API that sits on top of the framework to provide P3-specific functionality
- A fully integrated graphical subsystem and game engine
- A fully re-engineered cabinet and playfield infrastructure for serviceability, modularity, and modern features (all defined in detailed CAD drawings)
- A large portfolio of pending patents

With these as the building blocks, we've been working through the design of our first two games (Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl and Cosmic Cart Racing). LL-GG is feature complete (mechanically), and software is nearing 75%. We'll have it at TPF next weekend (March 28-30) for everybody to play. It's no longer a vision; it's now a real, playable game with unrivaled innovations and gameplay.

Anybody who's built a complex product before knows that building a working prototype is one thing, and getting it through production is something else entirely. Our design work has been done with manufacturing in mind, and we've been building relationship with fabricators, suppliers, and assemblers, but it'll still be a time-consuming and expensive process.

If we continue to operate on our own dime, we'll get to production, but it will take a little longer than hoped. If we get support from the community and pull in some investment money, we'll get there much faster.

Therefore, if you know anybody with the interest and means to invest in our vision and help define the future of pinball, please have them contact me at gstellenberg (at) multimorphic (dot) com or (ph) 77-gerry-pin. You'd possibly even get a free P3 out of the deal.

- Gerry
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This is the only game made that has any innovative advancements moving pinball into the next generation. P3 is the shit.
Thinking outside the box on so many areas. Fantastic.

I'd say a lot of the P-ROC and P3-ROC games are innovating whether it be Multimprphoc, CC Contimued, Predator, WOOLY or my own Forbidden Planet (but more of that at a later date when I can publish photos & details).

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

There's a teaser video on the Multimorphic site now - http://www.multimorphic.com/index.php/p3-pinball-platform

can't wait to see more - it's amazing how good it looks - and that 8-ball locking mechanism is brilliant!

#27 10 years ago

Nice video, thanks for letting us know.

#28 10 years ago

Awesome video.

#29 10 years ago

lol...that ball lock is awesome. CAn't wait to try and fill that thing at TPF.

#30 10 years ago

Wow!! This video is fantastic! Accurately captures the gameplay I experienced when I play-tested it at the Multimorphic open house.

Gerry & team: great job on the video!!
Looking forward to playing it again at TPF this weekend.

I'd suggest changing the title of this thread to include the word "video" in it and post the video link in your initial post, so that more people open the thread and can easily click on the video.

#31 10 years ago

Nice polish on the video Gerry! Loved the way the music interacted with what was happening on the playfield - it was really cool when those scoops all came popping across the playfield followed by the gates. It's amazing the number of unique and controllable devices you have in your game. Awesome.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from mjfisher:

There's a teaser video on the Multimorphic site now - http://www.multimorphic.com/index.php/p3-pinball-platform
can't wait to see more - it's amazing how good it looks - and that 8-ball locking mechanism is brilliant!

WOW!!!!! I cannot wait to spend quality time on this at TPF! Truly the first hHUGE leap in pinball technology in many many years.

#33 10 years ago

I thought the P-ROC was a sweet piece of hardware, with equally sweet software.. this sort of leaves it in the dust. Pretty cool they got Nordman on board I don't think i have played a layout of his that isn't just plain fun.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I thought the P-ROC was a sweet piece of hardware, with equally sweet software.. this sort of leaves it in the dust.

Thanks! The P3 is built on top of the P-ROC. It's our example of what pinball manufacturers could be (and should be) doing with an advanced control system.

FYI - I just started a new thread with the video announcement:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-has-evolved-videos

- Gerry

6 months later
#35 9 years ago

Gerry/Multimorphic just posted a sexy teaser on facebook, with a little bit of a history lesson:

#36 9 years ago

love the video. does anyone know what a kidney is going for these days? so many great looking games that i want to own (P3, Wooly, The Hobbit, etc) that i need to find a new source of money. might as well sell my kidney now before they figure out how to 3d print them and the value drops.

#37 9 years ago

Two thumbs.....WAY UP.

#38 9 years ago

I've always been impressed with P3 and always excited to see it's progress. P3 is the ONLY true innovative pinball development since P2k.

#39 9 years ago

Great video. Love how the music was synced especially the drops and spinner.

Looking forward to checking this out at expo

#40 9 years ago

cool vid

11 months later
#41 8 years ago

Another innovation we've built into the P3 platform is one-handed play for handicap accessibility. This feature is now built into our base platform software so that every game developed for the P3 pinball platform, including our first game Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth, has the option to enable one-handed play.

Here's a full thread dedicated to one-handed play: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-armed-pinball-i-mean-it/page/3#post-2693310

Handicap accessibility is very important to us, and we're working through a list of features to make the machine easier for everybody to play.

- Gerry

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Handicap accessibility is very important to us, and we're working through a list of features to make the machine easier for everybody to play.

That's really cool to hear. Kudos to you for thinking about this!

#43 8 years ago

This is one feature that I honestly hope everybody copies: "Player Removal"

The logic is simple. If player removal is enabled via a setting, it's ball 1, and it's not yet the last player's turn, holding the start button for 2 seconds will remove the last player in the game. Even if it is the last player's turn, they can still be removed if they haven't yet plunged the ball. Holding the start button for 2s after ball 1 will do a soft-restart as usual (if enabled).

When on coin play, removing a player returns a credit.

- Gerry

#44 8 years ago

You're awesome!

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

1 week later
4 months later
#48 8 years ago

Just updated the list with a note about upper playfield modules weighing only 24 lbs each. This of course will vary from game to game, but both LL-EE and our 2nd physical playfield module come in at 24 lbs.

- Gerry

2 weeks later
#49 8 years ago

Could the machine be setup to accept payment via digital cash, using a customer's phone and a QR code on the screen? It could work with an arcade's own payment app, or with blockchain networks like Ethereum or Bitcoin.

Once the architecture is in place, we could do clever things like running a local league as a smart contract, automatically rewarding the top scorers with cryptocurrency prize money directly into their wallets. Ethereum tokens could be used to track top scores, game credits, and in-game achievements. You could make a meta-game out of it - the gamification of pinball!

3 months later
#50 7 years ago

Here's a pic of a P3 with an upper playfield module stored under the machine. Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth is installed in the P3, and Cannon Lagoon is in the case under the machine.

- Gerry

IMG_20160624_174513_(resized).jpgIMG_20160624_174513_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-features and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.