002[1].jpg
ChicagoExpo1423.jpg
ChicagoExpo1416.jpg
ChicagoExpo1411-642.jpg
ChicagoExpo1448-923.jpg
ChicagoExpo1437-511.jpg
ChicagoExpo1431-606.jpg
llgg-5a.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 9 years ago

Wow - what an Expo. Lots of interesting points to discuss, and that's one of the great things (and curses) about the P3. We've opened a door into so many new possibilities, and everybody has different ideas about what we should implement and how we should implement them... oh... and the order in which we should do that.

I was going to quote a long, constructive response that Rarehero made in another post, but most of the points have been repeated here. Before directly addressing them, I think it's worth discussing our development goals and priorities.

Goal #1: Develop a new pinball platform with capabilities well beyond any other game in the industry with the intention of solving the prevailing issues the industry faces (antiquated gameplay features, high cost per game, large space needs, difficult servicibility, etc.)

Goal #2: Deliver FUN gameplay.

Goal #3: Explore new ways of providing compelling content to further immerse players into the pinball gaming experience.

We're well on our way to achieving goal #1. The platform is everything we hoped it would be. We can't check this goal off until we reach production with a reliable platform, but we're almost there.

Expo confirmed we're absolutely achieving goal #2. Now that LL-GG is playable and 75-80% complete, people can experience and enjoy the game. The feedback has been absolutely fantastic. There are so many ways we could have gone with this first game (and those paths are all available for future games), but we started with the plan to provide fairly basic but fun gameplay techniques. I keep using Wii sports and Tetris as examples. Both are fantastically fun to play, and neither have mindblowing graphics. It's incredibly important to confirm that we're not building a video game with some physical interactions. We're building a pinball game with virtual enhancements. The platform is capable of much more dynamic graphics and photo-realistic, video game or movie style presentations. Maybe we (or others) will explore applications like that in the future, but LL-GG is a straight-up, physical pinball game with virtual interactions that enhance gameplay rather than distract from it.

Summarizing the response from Expo, people seem to love the gameplay in LL-GG, but they don't understand the story and how it integrates into gameplay, and they aren't satisfied with the graphics, at least how they relate to the story and characters. If we were calling the game finished, the criticism would be completely warranted. Instead, what's being discussed is an incomplete product. The criticism is absolutely encouraged. Keep it coming. Tell us what you like and don't like. It absolutely does affect how we move forward. Just don't think that what you see today is the final product. It's not, though it continues to get better, largely due to your feedback.

-- 2 years ago we showed a simple concept machine at Expo running ROCs and Barnyard. People reacted well to our ideas and said the machine was an ugly box with cheap mechanics and needed more exciting gameplay. They were understandably reacting to what they saw at the show rather than what the P3 would be when finished.

-- 1 year ago we showed a more fleshed out platform with an unplayable Lexy playfield and Cosmic Cart Racing artwork. It was a hodge-podge of partially developed pieces, and the reaction was understandably one of major disappointment... a step backwards. People were reacting to what they saw at the show rather than what the P3 would be when finished.

-- This year we showed a much more fleshed out platform with playable and nearly complete LL-GG playfield, full cabinet artwork, and 75-80% complete software. The reaction was understandably one of love for the p/f toys, gameplay, onscreen instructions, etc with disappointment in the story integration and missing characters in the gameplay. People were reacting to what they saw at the show rather than what the P3 (and LL-GG) would be when finished.

As Rarehero and I have discussed in PM's, we've been developing the P3 platform in the public eye, and it's been judged every step of the way. Constructive feedback is immediately fed back to the dev team and affects our decisions moving forward. We love receiving it. The game will continue to mature, and one of our primary focuses moving forward will be better integration of the theme/story into gameplay.

Dennis Nordman's LL-GG concept is fantastic, and the gameplay fits perfectly into the theme. Yes, Lexy is a Galaxy Girl and gameplay is on Earth in the Florida swamplands, accompanied by two native redneck boys and her bigfoot-like traveling companion. It makes sense; we just haven't integrated the story yet. It's coming. We will. Stay tuned. One of the things we've been planning for a long time is a nice introduction sequence explaining the story. We need it. It will be done.

Developing in the public eye is VERY tough, especially developing a new platform with numerous innovations, but hopefully you're seeing us address most complaints as we continue through development.

PLEASE keep the feedback coming. All we ask is you do it constructively. When we combine our hard work and passion for pinball with your insights/ideas and passion for pinball, we'll all win.

Let's talk about the many positive responses we received from the game!

People loved the 8-ball physical ball lock. People have the opportunity of starting a 2, 3, 4, ... , 8 ball multiball. I think the most I saw at the show was 3-ball. Good - 8 ball multiball should not be an easy achievement. Therefore it's *highly* rewarding.

People loved the onscreen instructions. Knowing what to shoot is a problem with traditional games. We've solved that. Onscreen arrows and instructions tell you exactly what you should (or can) shoot. They guide you every step of the way. We'll be adding even more. We'll also be adding settings to disable them or to use them more sparingly (as people get more comfortable with the game).

The walls/scoops are a HUGE hit. You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many industry veterans dumped on that feature in early discussions with me. It's by far the most applauded feature on the game. Many wish we were using them more in LL-GG. We have some plans to do so.

Nobody commented (to me at least) that we didn't have any voice callouts. There's so much going on in the game already that they aren't entirely missed. Regardless, they're coming. We have one of the best sound guys in the business handling audio for this game, and we'll integrate professionally recorded voice calls when the time is right.

What did you like the most?

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

PS - We've started discussions with a few 3rd parties to develop games for the P3 platform. The system is open. We want others building games for it, and we'll soon have an installed customer base that will be anxious to buy more games.

If you're interested in putting your money where your mouth is and realizing the dream of creating pinball games, we've made it much easier for you to do so.

If you think another pinball company can execute more impressive games on our platform, convince them to do so. That's what we want - we don't even disagree with you. That's the future of pinball.

Please contact me to discuss this further.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I know it's the intention to sell new games to fit in an existing cabinet but will there also be new games that are just software and decals therefore using an existing playfield layout but with a totally new game/rules?

Sure - I'd love to see this happen. We've always been planning on supplementing the main applications with smaller mini-game options, and we'd love to see people develop alternative rulesets for the playfield layouts, including potential re-themes.

Whether or not it makes financial sense for a company to develop alternative rulesets remains to be seen. Whether or not that happens, I'm sure passionate hobbyists will eventually develop their ideas into alternate rulesets and/or rethemes, and we'll support them in those efforts. As we mentioned in our seminar, we'll be making our full development kit (including a software development kit) available to the public. We want to make it as easy as possible for others to create games for the P3. It's much easier to build games for the P3 than to develop new machines from scratch; we've already done a lot of the work for you.

Here's a video of the seminar:

- Gerry

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They could have a story animation playing during attract mode! That might be enough....and I still think Lexi needs to be included in the action. Why not have her trudging around in the swamp with Bigfoot...reacting to the gas and whatnot. I'm not sure if the player is supposed to be Lexi or not...but I think it would be best for her and her personality to be part of the art & animation. Perhaps the player can be her "flying metal droid bot" or something, helping her along on her mission.

We do have something planned for attract mode, but a game intro running just in attract mode wouldn't address your concerns during a pinball show. With the popularity of the machine continuing to grow and traffic being constant at shows, people hit the start button immediately after the previous game is finished. So running a game intro (that can be cancelled with the flipper buttons) when the start button is pressed should effectively introduce the characters and story.

We are absolutely going to integrate Lexy (and other characters) more into gameplay, both with voice callouts and with in-mode animations. She already shows up at the end of the "Weapon's Lab" mode to collect the weapon.

The reality of the situation is that creating nicely integrated animations take time. We have one animator on the team and are looking for more. If anybody has animation experience and wants to join our team of hardworking and passionate developers, please contact me at: [email protected]

Thanks.
- Gerry

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

People also aren't truly understanding the pricing aspect here, but that is more likely because there aren't more games available to see how cost effective this is. $10K for one game is really expensive, and frankly as much as I love how Lexy has progressed, I don't love her $10K worth if it was a standalone. However, P3 will have swappable upper playfields that bring an entirely new game. The upper playfields are small so they store easy (unlike P2K full playfields, which will frankly be an issue for Heighway as well). Also, the price point will be cheap for new games. Don't know for sure yet, but I think Gerry expects something like $2K+/-. Doesn't take many of these to see the price benefit (Pending the final module price: 2 games = $6K each, 4 games = $4K each, etc).

I agree with this. I'd go as far as saying NO single pinball game is worth $10k, LL-GG included. P3 customers are not paying $10k for LL-GG. They're paying $10k for a fully re-engineered pinball platform that addresses most, if not all, of the major problems traditional machines present to customers (price-per-game, floorspace needs, serviceability, etc). $10k covers the cabinet, the flipper/sling assembly, the advanced ball-trough system, the wall-scoop assembly, the control system, etc, etc. These are things you buy once. They're the foundation of the P3 experience, and they don't change with the game. Buying new cabinets, new legs, new flippers, new ball troughs, etc with each game doesn't make sense for consumer products. It doesn't make sense for many locations either.

Included with the current purchase price of $9,995 are TWO games: LL-GG and Cosmic Cart Racing. This is perhaps the best price-per-game value in the industry today, and as Cheeks illustrated, the value continues to improve as you add games. The P3 gives you more for your money.

Note - We will be moving to a single game pricing model. I've been saying this for a while, and I'll provide more information when it's finalized. When this happens, the price will be lower, but the machine will only come with one game. Of course you'll be able to add games as they become available for MUCH less than traditional games.

Regarding production schedules:

We never define hard production or shipping dates. There's just too much involved in manufacturing a pinball machine, especially one we've engineered from the ground up. The LL-GG game is in good shape, and we're working through reliability testing on all of our new mechanisms. If things go well, mid 2015 is a reasonable estimate. If we need to iterate on any mechanisms, it'll be a little later.

I'd like to thank everybody for their interest. The number of inquiries and orders we've received since Expo has been amazing. We're excited to help move the pinball industry forward, and we are anxious to get you your P3 machines.

BTW - I've attached an image that shows the LL-GG upper p/f artwork. Along with the rest of the LL-GG cabinet artwork, it was developed by the amazing Scott Gullicks, artist and designer of Wrath of Olympus. Scott is currently working on the backpanel art and will then follow up with art for a couple of p/f plastics. When finished, the LL-GG p/f will be fully themed just like any traditional machine.

- Gerry

llgg-5a.JPGllgg-5a.JPG
#61 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Anyone have any Expo gameplay footage?

I saw a few people recording, and I meant to, but we were so busy chatting with people that I never got a chance. I'll try to record and release a gameplay video in the next week or two.

- Gerry

#62 9 years ago

FYI - We just changed our pre-order terms. Early pre-payment is no longer required. Keep your money until your machine is ready to be built!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-pre-orders-early-pre-payment-no-longer-required#post-1991016

- Gerry

#65 9 years ago

Here are a few pics from Expo:

- Gerry

ChicagoExpo1431-606.jpgChicagoExpo1431-606.jpg ChicagoExpo1437-511.jpgChicagoExpo1437-511.jpg ChicagoExpo1448-923.jpgChicagoExpo1448-923.jpg ChicagoExpo1411-642.jpgChicagoExpo1411-642.jpg ChicagoExpo1416.jpgChicagoExpo1416.jpg ChicagoExpo1423.jpgChicagoExpo1423.jpg
#81 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As far as the one cabinet serving many games aspect, I can only partially agree with this. I have 26 games in my gameroom. I wouldn't want to have one game with 25 playfields laying around instead. I can see some value in swapping one or two games out of the cabinet. But at some point I might want more than one p3 especially if there was a variety of game addons to choose. Will there be an option to buy the p3 base with no game in it perhaps for those that want to have all their games running at once?

If people want to buy machines with no p/f, of course we'll make it possible. If you want to buy 25 extra machines, I'd suggest you email me for a custom quote.

Quoted from markmon:

They're still going to have to be somewhat large if ramps return to the inlane.

The LL-GG p/f is about 20.5" x 17.5", and that includes the part of the wireform that mates with the lower p/f channel.

Quoted from markmon:

It isn't practical to swap games like console game disks. So you really still have just one game at a time.

I'd caution you against making conclusions like these before seeing or doing a game swap yourself. The P3 is unlike other, p2k-style systems. Our team of 3 mechanical engineers have spent almost 1.5 years fully re-engineering the pinball platform. Traditional p/f setups don't allow features like most of what we're promising. We designed the P3 platform specifically for quick game/playfield swaps (among many other things - like significantly improved serviceability).

Swapping an upper p/f will *not* take much more time than swapping a console game disk. I've demonstrated 40-second game swaps on our proto unit, and we're shrinking that time even more for production units.

Quoted from Cheeks:

To this end, I also *thought* one of the original concepts was the ability to link 2 P3s together and play some sort of simultaneous multiplayer, but I could be mistaken. Of course even if they are planning this, you'd need duplicates of those games to do it.

Certain games, like CCR, will allow simultaneous play of up to 4 players on 4 machines. It works over the network; so you can link machines in your own home or machines across the globe. CCR is a racing game; of course you'll be able to race against other people. With our ball-tracking and digital leveling, we'll also be able to ensure a fair competition. For example, the P3 can measure the speed of the ball off the flippers and optionally adjust behavior to make all networked-games play similarly.

The P3 delivers a traditional, physical pinball experience while enabling so much more.

- Gerry

1 week later
#85 9 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I'm still confused by how balls are tracked by the screen, in an interview on the gameroom junkies podcast it was described as touch screen and not corrected by Gerry. So Gerry, if I've missed discussion on the tech elsewhere I apologise but could you please elaborate on how balls are tracked? How many at once can be tracked and how accurate it is? If it's sensors on the sides of the playfield how does it work if multiballs are all on the same horizontal line at once for instance?
Kev

Hi Kev,

I'm sure you can understand my desire to not want to discuss the low level details of our ball tracking on a public forum. Suffice it to say, the LCD is not actually a touchscreen, but for all intents and purposes the system works like it is.

If there are bunch of balls line up across a horizontal row, we have the data necessary to identify each of them.

- Gerry

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-expo-news?tu=gstellenberg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.