002[1].jpg
ChicagoExpo1423.jpg
ChicagoExpo1416.jpg
ChicagoExpo1411-642.jpg
ChicagoExpo1448-923.jpg
ChicagoExpo1437-511.jpg
ChicagoExpo1431-606.jpg
llgg-5a.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Maybe because you're all sitting around wondering why nobody is talking about it -- rather than talking about it?

Great call, Eric. Let's fix that.

I managed to get a couple of games in and I was pretty blown away, on a couple of levels.

1) SO much innovation, from the interactive screen to the "walls and scoops" mech, from the floating flippers and slings to that bad-anus 8-ball lock in the back left corner of Lexi Lightspeed; it's all pretty phenomenal. Not to mention, those subway-feeds are doing something crazy because the SECOND a ball descends below the playfield, another one rockets back up. So cool on so many counts!

2) Also blown away by the lack of discussion surrounding this new platform. I dunno if the AMOUNT of change is frightening to people, but it's the biggest game-changer the hobby has seen since the advent of the flipper.

Other areas of improvement since last year, the on-screen graphics have been greatly enhanced. Plus...

Quoted from unigroove:

the game hints very well where to shoot

I'd agree with unigroove. The versatility of that huge, dynamic, image-area really allowed for shots to be called out in a very clear manner. It's something I've always struggled with a bit ("Where do I shoot now? ...and why?"), especially on the more modern games with deeper rulesets. However, even on my first game my objectives were extraordinarily clear.

Kudos to Gerry and the Multimorphic crew on their stunning advancements over the past year. Let's get this thread active with some thoughts and discussion!

Go P3!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I'd really like to see some video of this

Quoted from frolic:

Pics, videos, anything?

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Surely someone took a video?

For those interested in gameplay, here's some pretty great footage (love that "walls and scoops" mech, and the 8-ball lock is...SO sweet):

Man, that video gives me chills. The above trailer is also available on the Multimorphic website with a bit more information about LLGG here: http://www.multimorphic.com/index.php/p3-pinball-platform/ll-gg

One thing not shown in the video is something I mentioned above:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

The versatility of that huge, dynamic, image-area really allowed for shots to be called out in a very clear manner.

I'll attempt to describe it (maybe it's a new update to the software since this video was shot), but essentially at the top of the LCD screen, glowing/pulsing letters explaining the shot overlay on top of the artwork (not in an intrusive way) with arrows that point directly to the ramps you're supposed to hit. Very clear an easy to understand.

Best,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

#40 9 years ago

RE: Visual direction cues...

Quoted from gstellenberg:

They guide you every step of the way. We'll be adding even more. We'll also be adding settings to disable them or to use them more sparingly (as people get more comfortable with the game).

Cool!!! I can see experienced users either needing them less, or taking them away as a way to level the competition with a less experienced player (assuming the users are able to change the options for the visual directions on a player-by-player basis in a multi-player game...lots of potential!!!).

The walls/scoops are a HUGE hit. You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many industry veterans dumped on that feature in early discussions with me. It's by far the most applauded feature on the game. Many wish we were using them more in LL-GG. We have some plans to do so.

I must admit, on first glance (a couple years ago at Expo), they looked a little clunky and alpha-stage-y. Their current iteration is such a leap from what has been shown before. The integrated color-changing LED's turn them into a visual feast in attract modes and create very clear objectives in gameplay modes (GREEN - Shoot here! Red - DON'T Shoot here!).

One of the Multimorphic folks (not Gerry, but sorry, I can't remember his name) was even talking to me about the possibilities of hooking up a console-type controller to the P3 and making the walls/scoops controllable by a second player, making a truly 2-player experience. I mean, you could try blocking the traditional player's shots with the walls, you could try capturing the traditional player's balls with the scoops, THE POTENTIAL!!!

Quoted from jwilson:

If the game needs an introduction to explain it, it's too complicated.

I'd like to respectfully disagree with this statement. I actually feel as though it could help the player have a more immersive experience. In Gerry's defense, this is one of those issues where he's walking a tight-rope: some people demanding more narrative, while others want absolutely none. My guess is that absolutes (as is often the case in life) are not the answer. I can see a happy medium, something short and sweet (at least for this inaugural game) going a long way, like:

Quoted from Cheeks:

From AFM when you hit the start button: "Reports are coming in from all over the world, earth is under attack, an Attack from Mars!" That's an intro, albeit a simple one.

I don't think that's too intrusive, but also adds a bit of story and connection to the theme and characters. I wouldn't even mind a longer introduction, assuming you had the ability to exit the narrative via a flipper press (or something) so that experienced players could get playing straight away.

Finally,

Lots of interesting points to discuss...

...thanks for taking the time to craft such a receptive and open-minded reply on this thread, Gerry. I hope the community rewards your years of hard work, sacrifice, and innovation when you're ready to launch. I had a blast playing the latest version of LLGG last weekend, it sounds like there's even more fun to come, and I look forward to seeing what else is in store. P3 is truly blazing new trails.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I just watched the Expo seminar and was impressed that the cabinet art is just a swappable magnet sheet. It looks cool and easy to switch for home use.

As an artist, this is a pretty promising advancement. It'd be fun to swap-out cab art for custom illustrations without the worry of devaluing a machine or the hassle of vinyl application.

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

1 week later
#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

To this end, I also *thought* one of the original concepts was the ability to link 2 P3s together and play some sort of simultaneous multiplayer, but I could be mistaken.

Didn't even realize this was a potential feature until reading through this thread. Glad to hear confirmation from Gerry:

Certain games, like CCR, will allow simultaneous play of up to 4 players on 4 machines. It works over the network; so you can link machines in your own home or machines across the globe. CCR is a racing game; of course you'll be able to race against other people.

My guess is that simultaneous play isn't a part of the P3's current marketing points due to this feature still being 2 or 3 years from production ready, but still, wow.

For example, the P3 can measure the speed of the ball off the flippers and optionally adjust behavior to make all networked-games play similarly.

Damn. This just keeps getting cooler and cooler.

Go, Gerry, Go!!!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 20.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-expo-news?tu=RyanClaytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.