New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 106813)

P3 Expo news?

By frolic

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

002[1].jpg
ChicagoExpo1423.jpg
ChicagoExpo1416.jpg
ChicagoExpo1411-642.jpg
ChicagoExpo1448-923.jpg
ChicagoExpo1437-511.jpg
ChicagoExpo1431-606.jpg
llgg-5a.JPG

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

I am really blown away by this platform. I would also like to know what the expected timeframe for production is? Love the idea of having a stack of upper playfields to swap in and out!

#52 6 years ago

I first saw the P3 crammed in amongst everything else at TPF 2012. The concept was so far over my head that I saw it as an overly complex and expensive game of "Asteroids." I offered a poor opinion to Gerry (a man of infinite patience) and got on with the show.

By the time TPF 2013 rolled around I "got it" and took the time to apologize profusely and marvel in the genius that is the P3 machine. Most of the dev team was there and put on a very enlightening presentation that explained a lot more including the LLGG backstory. Very impressive.

At TPF 2014 I waited patiently in line along with hundreds of others to play a few games over the weekend. The graphics were fine and the game played smoothly. (STILL don't get why you can't just drill through the screen to mount the flippers! ) We've effectively been talking about this game for over 3 years now and it just keeps getting better and closer to a finished, polished product. Looking forward to getting in a few more games in Houston in two weeks.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I just watched the Expo seminar and was impressed that the cabinet art is just a swappable magnet sheet. It looks cool and easy to switch for home use. However, wouldn't this be a concern for routed or arcade machines if the art could just walk away?

I've heard Gerry say that there will be some sort of security bezel available to prevent artwork from being removed on location. It's one of the many great ideas this platform has for pinball on location.

I can imagine a scenario where businesses place the game on location with custom branded artwork, maybe with some swappable Translites for various regular promotions. Something on LLGG breaks. They just swap out either the broken component, like the flipper module, with a spare, or swap out the LLGG playfield for CCR or some other future P3 title. They get the game back up and running instantly without skilled technicians, and send the broken parts to the technicians bench for repair on his/her schedule. So in addition to easily being able to change the game for your customer base to keep them interested, it also serves as a down-time eliminator.

#54 6 years ago

Still dont like the pinballpart of the game. Does not look good and the layout is boring. The upper part is just a themeless area filled with ugly techs.

But.... If somehow you can put this screen in a normal pin, that would be the real next gen in my opinion. And i think that will be a big hit too.

But as it is now, dont think they sell alot. The price is very high too, 10k euro.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Still dont like the pinballpart of the game. Does not look good and the layout is boring. The upper part is just a themeless area filled with ugly techs.
But.... If somehow you can put this screen in a normal pin, that would be the real next gen in my opinion. And i think that will be a big hit too.
But as it is now, dont think they sell alot. The price is very high too, 10k euro.

Have you come to the states and played one in person?
Your opinion seems like a guy who has watched the videos; but hasn't actually played the machine.

The machine is simply more technically advanced than anything to date. Nothing Stern or JJP has stacks up to it. Hopefully someone in your area will buy one and you'll get to play it.

Themeless tech toys? Humm... As in a themeless 8ball flying saucer ball lock? As in a themeless auxillary LCD over insert switches? As in a Themeless set of 3 pop bumpers? Ok. I'll give you that one.

Putting the screen in a normal pin just won't work. You really need to see the LCDs removal in the machine to understand why.

Regardless; I hope we come out of the wood work to buy one of these. We need to support the innovators left in the world.

#56 6 years ago

Still dont like the pinballpart of the game. Does not look good and the layout is boring.

Granted the physical layout is basically a fan on the upper playfield, but I love me a lot of fan layout games if the rules are good, and so far these are. Plus the P3 does provide lots of things that spice this up more than a regualar fan layout ever could because of all the things it brings below the upper playfield.

Oh but wait, I forgot how bored I was when a wall of scoops and walls popped up and kept changing as I advanced "rooms" in the game. What a yawner, I see that one all the time.

The upper part is just a themeless area filled with ugly techs.

Quoted from Zitt:

Themeless tech toys? Humm... As in a themeless 8ball flying saucer ball lock? As in a themeless auxillary LCD over insert switches? As in a Themeless set of 3 pop bumpers? Ok. I'll give you that one.

What Zitt said. This just seems uninformed.

Sigh...There are a bunch of videos on their website you could check out to quickly and easily learn about the components of this. As is, no offense, but you just don't understand what this is and how this level of technology, LITERALLY, could not be retrofit into a "normal" pin. Not that I even know what you mean by "normal" pin. This is a real pinball machine, that has about a dozen things in it that no other machine can possibly do. Putting all these in a "normal" pin would make it a P3. Gerry already did that for you.

People also aren't truly understanding the pricing aspect here, but that is more likely because there aren't more games available to see how cost effective this is. $10K for one game is really expensive, and frankly as much as I love how Lexy has progressed, I don't love her $10K worth if it was a standalone. However, P3 will have swappable upper playfields that bring an entirely new game. The upper playfields are small so they store easy (unlike P2K full playfields, which will frankly be an issue for Heighway as well). Also, the price point will be cheap for new games. Don't know for sure yet, but I think Gerry expects something like $2K+/-. Doesn't take many of these to see the price benefit (Pending the final module price: 2 games = $6K each, 4 games = $4K each, etc).

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Here's a video of the seminar:

This is a great seminar, very interesting. It will be amazing once this platform gets going.

Anyone have any Expo gameplay footage?

#58 6 years ago

Not to pile on, but I think you may be referring to the upper playfield shown in the second P3 promo video, which literally was a whitewood prototype. The upper playfield now is much more finished, and has very nice themed artwork that matches playfield art on the main Lexy screen (the only thing that is missing is the artwork on the back wall of the upper playfield). It actually plays pretty nice, too.

It's understandable why you might have that impression, as that 2nd video is the only one that gives a close up view of the playfield (the third video has the art, but it would not have fit the purposes of that video to have a closeup of that playfield), but your reaction illustrates one of the points Gerry was making in his talk about obstacles to innovation. Innovation takes time, and any time people see a work in progress, they judge it based on where it is at that point in time and very rarely consider where it is going. It's something Multimorphic has dealt with every step of the way, but I am glad I have gotten to witness the evolution of this platform from a brilliant proof of concept to a fantastic game, with endless potential.

You like WOLY and TBL? I can't wait to see what kind of custom games talented P3 third party developers release into the wild. The P3 continues the work of the PROC, which has been enabling people to take pinball in exciting new directions. Where the PROC eliminated the need for would-be game designers to have to develop a control system, the P3 eliminates the need to engineer and manufacture much of the rest of the game. So people can focus on gameplay and design rather than engineering the game from the ground up.

Think of how fast future game designers can get their great ideas out the door if all they have to ship is an upper playfield, code, and maybe an optional module or 2? You can sell it to existing owners and package it though multimoprphic to get entire games in the hands of your consumers. Pinball as a platform is an idea who's time has come, and it will only accelerate the pinball renaissance we are experiencing now.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

People also aren't truly understanding the pricing aspect here, but that is more likely because there aren't more games available to see how cost effective this is. $10K for one game is really expensive, and frankly as much as I love how Lexy has progressed, I don't love her $10K worth if it was a standalone. However, P3 will have swappable upper playfields that bring an entirely new game. The upper playfields are small so they store easy (unlike P2K full playfields, which will frankly be an issue for Heighway as well). Also, the price point will be cheap for new games. Don't know for sure yet, but I think Gerry expects something like $2K+/-. Doesn't take many of these to see the price benefit (Pending the final module price: 2 games = $6K each, 4 games = $4K each, etc).

I agree with this. I'd go as far as saying NO single pinball game is worth $10k, LL-GG included. P3 customers are not paying $10k for LL-GG. They're paying $10k for a fully re-engineered pinball platform that addresses most, if not all, of the major problems traditional machines present to customers (price-per-game, floorspace needs, serviceability, etc). $10k covers the cabinet, the flipper/sling assembly, the advanced ball-trough system, the wall-scoop assembly, the control system, etc, etc. These are things you buy once. They're the foundation of the P3 experience, and they don't change with the game. Buying new cabinets, new legs, new flippers, new ball troughs, etc with each game doesn't make sense for consumer products. It doesn't make sense for many locations either.

Included with the current purchase price of $9,995 are TWO games: LL-GG and Cosmic Cart Racing. This is perhaps the best price-per-game value in the industry today, and as Cheeks illustrated, the value continues to improve as you add games. The P3 gives you more for your money.

Note - We will be moving to a single game pricing model. I've been saying this for a while, and I'll provide more information when it's finalized. When this happens, the price will be lower, but the machine will only come with one game. Of course you'll be able to add games as they become available for MUCH less than traditional games.

Regarding production schedules:

We never define hard production or shipping dates. There's just too much involved in manufacturing a pinball machine, especially one we've engineered from the ground up. The LL-GG game is in good shape, and we're working through reliability testing on all of our new mechanisms. If things go well, mid 2015 is a reasonable estimate. If we need to iterate on any mechanisms, it'll be a little later.

I'd like to thank everybody for their interest. The number of inquiries and orders we've received since Expo has been amazing. We're excited to help move the pinball industry forward, and we are anxious to get you your P3 machines.

BTW - I've attached an image that shows the LL-GG upper p/f artwork. Along with the rest of the LL-GG cabinet artwork, it was developed by the amazing Scott Gullicks, artist and designer of Wrath of Olympus. Scott is currently working on the backpanel art and will then follow up with art for a couple of p/f plastics. When finished, the LL-GG p/f will be fully themed just like any traditional machine.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

llgg-5a.JPG
#60 6 years ago

Note - We will be moving to a single game pricing model.

Smart. Its easier to do 6k now than 10 and to come up with 4k in 6 months. With this platform you could do 1 or 2 releases a year and do well.
Again 10k is just to steep to jump in even if its truly a good deal.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Anyone have any Expo gameplay footage?

I saw a few people recording, and I meant to, but we were so busy chatting with people that I never got a chance. I'll try to record and release a gameplay video in the next week or two.

- Gerry

#62 6 years ago

FYI - We just changed our pre-order terms. Early pre-payment is no longer required. Keep your money until your machine is ready to be built!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-pre-orders-early-pre-payment-no-longer-required#post-1991016

- Gerry

#63 6 years ago

I made the trip to Expo this year and played the game a few times, spoke with Gerry, etc. I just wanted to chime in and agree with others here, that this is playing very well and it's awesome to see some innovation paying off. I had some misgivings before I got a chance to play it, but it's a lot of fun and does feel like a pinball machine with a new way to look at things. It's pretty cool!

Gerry, thanks for your time during expo and it was great talking to you.

#64 6 years ago

You have to wonder that, if LCD TVs had been ubiquitous in 1999, that this is the direction Williams might have gone instead of what P2K became.

Overall, this seems like the equivalent to a video game console being the expensive up-front investment with much cheaper priced game cartridges/discs. That said, its alot of money. What about adopting a similar business strategy of selling the initial cabinet at-cost and making the money on the different games? Hell, the (clearly unrealistic) ideal is that you give the cabinet away for free to every pinhead and then charge $999.95 for each full game.

#65 6 years ago

Here are a few pics from Expo:

- Gerry

ChicagoExpo1431-606.jpg ChicagoExpo1437-511.jpg ChicagoExpo1448-923.jpg ChicagoExpo1411-642.jpg ChicagoExpo1416.jpg ChicagoExpo1423.jpg
#66 6 years ago

Gerry - Thanx for the pics. Now I can prove to my wife that I was actually at the Expo and not Vegas!

#67 6 years ago

As far as the one cabinet serving many games aspect, I can only partially agree with this. I have 26 games in my gameroom. I wouldn't want to have one game with 25 playfields laying around instead. I can see some value in swapping one or two games out of the cabinet. But at some point I might want more than one p3 especially if there was a variety of game addons to choose. Will there be an option to buy the p3 base with no game in it perhaps for those that want to have all their games running at once?

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As far as the one cabinet serving many games aspect, I can only partially agree with this. I have 26 games in my gameroom. I wouldn't want to have one game with 25 playfields laying around instead. I can see some value in swapping one or two games out of the cabinet. But at some point I might want more than one p3 especially if there was a variety of game addons to choose. Will there be an option to buy the p3 base with no game in it perhaps for those that want to have all their games running at once?

To this end, I also *thought* one of the original concepts was the ability to link 2 P3s together and play some sort of simultaneous multiplayer, but I could be mistaken. Of course even if they are planning this, you'd need duplicates of those games to do it.

#69 6 years ago

Once Gerry gets several of these games out the door... someone may need to design a
"tool dock"
002[1].jpg
for P3 Playfields.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I wouldn't want to have one game with 25 playfields laying around instead.

The one thing to remember is that the playfields are pretty small for the P3.

#71 6 years ago

yup.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

The one thing to remember is that the playfields are pretty small for the P3.

They're still going to have to be somewhat large if ramps return to the inlane. But that still doesn't change the fact that you have a small group over. It isn't practical to swap games like console game disks. So you really still have just one game at a time.

#73 6 years ago

i could probably fit 3 or 4 of those upper playfields under the P3 pinball machine itself, and 1 in the machine for play time. So that's 4 or 5 physical upper playfields, and some variety of software games that could be loaded.

The different software games could all be coded to use the same 1 upper playfield. So I could have tons of unique pinball games, but using the same 1 upper playfield.
or, each software game could be coded to use their own unique upper playfield.
and, maybe one day, 1 or more software games could be coded to use more than 1 upper playfield. how cool would that be.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

They're still going to have to be somewhat large if ramps return to the inlane. But that still doesn't change the fact that you have a small group over. It isn't practical to swap games like console game disks. So you really still have just one game at a time.

The image Gerry posted above is very indicative of the final playfield layout and the prototype at EXPO was a great reflection of that - the ramps on the unique playfield that can be swapped mate with the ramps on the main part of the playfield that feed the flippers - thus keeping the footprint of the portion of the playfield that is actually stored very small. In fact, looking at the model the playfields could probably be lined up in a row underneath the cab like a filing system - you might be able to get 8 or more all under the cab if they're stored on their edges.

As for being "practical" I guess that's just a matter of your opinion. From the videos and the demonstration in person, Gerry can swap out a playfield in just over the time it takes my XBOX to finally eject my game disc... Top that off with the magnetic artwork and you've got a completely different game in almost no time.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

maybe one day, 1 or more software games could be coded to use more than 1 upper playfield. how cool would that be.

Now you're talking! Same game, different Upper Playfield (UPF). If I had three games and each one was able to use each UPF that's nine different experiences for the price of three!

#76 6 years ago

Pre-ordered mine yesterday! The possibilities with this system are endless. Very excited.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

The image Gerry posted above is very indicative of the final playfield layout and the prototype at EXPO was a great reflection of that - the ramps on the unique playfield that can be swapped mate with the ramps on the main part of the playfield that feed the flippers - thus keeping the footprint of the portion of the playfield that is actually stored very small. In fact, looking at the model the playfields could probably be lined up in a row underneath the cab like a filing system - you might be able to get 8 or more all under the cab if they're stored on their edges.
As for being "practical" I guess that's just a matter of your opinion. From the videos and the demonstration in person, Gerry can swap out a playfield in just over the time it takes my XBOX to finally eject my game disc... Top that off with the magnetic artwork and you've got a completely different game in almost no time.

The practicality is just a fact. If I have like 5 friends over to play pinball its not the same as video games where we can all have controllers. One guy plays and others watch? Boring. I'd want a few up and running as well. Doesn't mean you need a cab for all your P3 palyfields, but if I had 10 P3 playfields for example I'm gonna want at least 6 cabs, maybe 8

#78 6 years ago

i'm imagining Gerry smiling right now

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

The practicality is just a fact. If I have like 5 friends over to play pinball its not the same as video games where we can all have controllers. One guy plays and others watch? Boring. I'd want a few up and running as well. Doesn't mean you need a cab for all your P3 palyfields, but if I had 10 P3 playfields for example I'm gonna want at least 6 cabs, maybe 8

Well, obviously P3 customers will be able to buy more than one cab if they wish, I don't even know how that is a topic of conversation - - as follow up games are released the P3 will have new customers that want that game but don't yet have the system and will require both a cab and the game. For people who already own the system they can order either the whole system again or just the new game. So yeah, if you had 10 playfieds you could choose to not buy another cab, buy another cab or any number of cabs. Hell, buy 100 cabs. Then Gerry would really be smiling.

#80 6 years ago

If you have a friend nearby you could split the costs buying new playfields.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If people want to buy machines with no p/f, of course we'll make it possible. If you want to buy 25 extra machines, I'd suggest you email me for a custom quote.

Quoted from markmon:

They're still going to have to be somewhat large if ramps return to the inlane.

The LL-GG p/f is about 20.5" x 17.5", and that includes the part of the wireform that mates with the lower p/f channel.

Quoted from markmon:

It isn't practical to swap games like console game disks. So you really still have just one game at a time.

I'd caution you against making conclusions like these before seeing or doing a game swap yourself. The P3 is unlike other, p2k-style systems. Our team of 3 mechanical engineers have spent almost 1.5 years fully re-engineering the pinball platform. Traditional p/f setups don't allow features like most of what we're promising. We designed the P3 platform specifically for quick game/playfield swaps (among many other things - like significantly improved serviceability).

Swapping an upper p/f will *not* take much more time than swapping a console game disk. I've demonstrated 40-second game swaps on our proto unit, and we're shrinking that time even more for production units.

Quoted from Cheeks:

To this end, I also *thought* one of the original concepts was the ability to link 2 P3s together and play some sort of simultaneous multiplayer, but I could be mistaken. Of course even if they are planning this, you'd need duplicates of those games to do it.

Certain games, like CCR, will allow simultaneous play of up to 4 players on 4 machines. It works over the network; so you can link machines in your own home or machines across the globe. CCR is a racing game; of course you'll be able to race against other people. With our ball-tracking and digital leveling, we'll also be able to ensure a fair competition. For example, the P3 can measure the speed of the ball off the flippers and optionally adjust behavior to make all networked-games play similarly.

The P3 delivers a traditional, physical pinball experience while enabling so much more.

- Gerry

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

To this end, I also *thought* one of the original concepts was the ability to link 2 P3s together and play some sort of simultaneous multiplayer, but I could be mistaken.

Didn't even realize this was a potential feature until reading through this thread. Glad to hear confirmation from Gerry:

Certain games, like CCR, will allow simultaneous play of up to 4 players on 4 machines. It works over the network; so you can link machines in your own home or machines across the globe. CCR is a racing game; of course you'll be able to race against other people.

My guess is that simultaneous play isn't a part of the P3's current marketing points due to this feature still being 2 or 3 years from production ready, but still, wow.

For example, the P3 can measure the speed of the ball off the flippers and optionally adjust behavior to make all networked-games play similarly.

Damn. This just keeps getting cooler and cooler.

Go, Gerry, Go!!!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

1 week later
#84 6 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

the screen doesn't track the balls.
there's sensors along the left & right of playfield tracking ball movement.

I'm still confused by how balls are tracked by the screen, in an interview on the gameroom junkies podcast it was described as touch screen and not corrected by Gerry. So Gerry, if I've missed discussion on the tech elsewhere I apologise but could you please elaborate on how balls are tracked? How many at once can be tracked and how accurate it is? If it's sensors on the sides of the playfield how does it work if multiballs are all on the same horizontal line at once for instance?

Thanks

Kev

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I'm still confused by how balls are tracked by the screen, in an interview on the gameroom junkies podcast it was described as touch screen and not corrected by Gerry. So Gerry, if I've missed discussion on the tech elsewhere I apologise but could you please elaborate on how balls are tracked? How many at once can be tracked and how accurate it is? If it's sensors on the sides of the playfield how does it work if multiballs are all on the same horizontal line at once for instance?
Kev

Hi Kev,

I'm sure you can understand my desire to not want to discuss the low level details of our ball tracking on a public forum. Suffice it to say, the LCD is not actually a touchscreen, but for all intents and purposes the system works like it is.

If there are bunch of balls line up across a horizontal row, we have the data necessary to identify each of them.

- Gerry

#86 6 years ago

Super Secret Squirrel Stuff!

#87 6 years ago

I was stoked to see this at expo 2013, and the joke was on me. The concept is great, and Gerry is cool. But...sorry Gerry, where is the beef? I expected machines to be delivered by 2015, really end of 2014. There are guys who I know have been PIF on this for well over a year. No more - this has turned into just another preorder debacle. Give us a real timeline and hit the dates.

I wish you the best of luck Gerry. If this project gets finished and machines get delivered (and it turns out that the machine is not really 80% done right now so it gets major improvements) I will be one of the first adopters.

I am totally sour on this preorder pinball model and I no longer care who is doing it. Gerry is awesome, preorder pinball model smells worse than a balrog fart.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I was stoked to see this at expo 2013, and the joke was on me. The concept is great, and Gerry is cool. But...sorry Gerry, where is the beef? I expected machines to be delivered by 2015, really end of 2014. There are guys who I know have been PIF on this for well over a year. No more - this has turned into just another preorder debacle. Give us a real timeline and hit the dates.

I've been a paid pre-order from "the beginning" as well. Sure I'm disappointed that I don't have a game yet, and frankly won't for a while. But name another pinball company that has made their deadlines? Not that this excuses setting false expectations, but it means Gerry doesn't deserve any more criticism than all the other pinball companies. Conversely, Gerry has been really transparent regarding their status and the hurdles yet to overcome (don't get me started on the BoP 2.0 or Jpop garbage). Gerry will be the first to tell you that they could/should have done things differently, but that paving the way with their innovation has been rougher waters than expected.

Beyond that, everyone else in the industry that misses dates just says "my bad" and moves on, if they even acknowledge it at all. Gerry has had in place what I feel is an equitable system to compensate the early adopters for the delays. I for one am not remotely considering getting my money back. I'm in on several pre-orders <insert "you're an idiot" comment here> and this is the game I'm most looking forward to.

Do I wish the whole pre-order, "get it now or you might never" thing would go away? Of course. But the reality for some of these boutique entrants into the market is that they wouldn't even exist with a post-pay model like Stern. If you want to take a chance and "invest" in the possibilities, do it. If not, move on and buy something you can get right away.

Quoted from rommy:

I wish you the best of luck Gerry. If this project gets finished and machines get delivered (and it turns out that the machine is not really 80% done right now so it gets major improvements) I will be one of the first adopters.

Well it just sounds like this might not be the game or platform for you. If you're hoping this is far from finished and the end product is a "major improvement" different than this, then I think you just don't like what they're doing, which is fine for you to think by the way. Gerry knows I have not been all roses with my feedback to him, especially around this time last year, so I'm not just some P3 fanboy. That said, I think this platform brings so much to the table that I'm excited to get it.

#89 6 years ago

Hi Kev,
I'm sure you can understand my desire to not want to discuss the low level details of our ball tracking on a public forum. Suffice it to say, the LCD is not actually a touchscreen, but for all intents and purposes the system works like it is.
If there are bunch of balls line up across a horizontal row, we have the data necessary to identify each of them.
- Gerry

Thanks Gerry. Also the new video is awesome.

#90 6 years ago

I've demonstrated 40-second game swaps on our proto unit, and we're shrinking that time even more for production units.

Wow! Awesome!

With our ball-tracking and digital leveling, we'll also be able to ensure a fair competition. For example, the P3 can measure the speed of the ball off the flippers and optionally adjust behavior to make all networked-games play similarly.

See previous comment. Awesome!

#91 6 years ago

With our ball-tracking and digital leveling, we'll also be able to ensure a fair competition. For example, the P3 can measure the speed of the ball off the flippers and optionally adjust behavior to make all networked-games play similarly.

On the flip side of this, it would be cool if there was a way to adjust the difficulty on a per player basis. For example, my wife and I play against each other, but unless I'm not really trying, it is typically not very close. It would be cool if there was a way to have the game compensate for mismatched players to make competition by players of different skills still somewhat competitive.

#92 6 years ago

First person shooters have been doing predictive movement within a 3d space since...um...QuakeWorld? Not surprised that the P3 has the computing power to know that balls aren't generally going to move in bizarre nonlinear ways on that part of the playfield and for it to do some predictive modeling of ball travel. Humans act a lot more wierd in FPS's than balls on a playfield, and it works there.

#93 6 years ago

So... this talk of predicting ball path... why; so stuff can move away from the ball on the LCD or so the targets can de-light and not score? Missing something here...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 17.50
9,995 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 159.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
€ 9.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
£ 45.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 15.95
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside