Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by PPS
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

edwardCIA-NSA-Edward-Snowden_1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider firebaall.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 9 years ago

I'm not sure why you guys are jumping down PPS's throat.

He's probably still rather fresh over hammering out IP issues with his remake, so cut him some slack on this topic.

Truth is, if you do something that infringes on IP or it's copyright for personal use you'll likely be fine. When you try to sell it (or even distribute it freely), you can get into some hot water.

If I'm making a re-themed pinball machine, I'd expect to use it for personal use. If I expected to sell it, I'll also understand that there's going to be some money owing to the IP's owner.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

This is so completely inappropriate and your continual joking about the loss of a loved one is disgusting!

It has nothing to with his loss. His bipolar antics are behind my comments. He's determined to follow me around pinside and derail topics. All he has to do is stop, and I won't respond.

Back on topic:

I think there's some good cases for copyright infringements. The pin 2K software or arcade game roms that aren't available anymore are good examples.

#34 9 years ago

Exchange the word "cases", with the word "reasons".

You're right about those examples not being tried, and held up a shining examples of legal precedent. The premise is the opinion that violating copyright can be a positive avenue....although not a purely legal one.

Take the P2K software, that I mentioned as an example.

Nucore developed a replacement software/hardware resource (under license). They stopped producing the product, and another programmer picked up and modified/optimized their work to allow any hardware to be used. Did Pinbox receive legal action? I don't think they did (I could be mistaken). But they did pull down hosted links to their release. Cease and desist order perhaps?

Would you use Pinbox to get a dead pin2K machine working? I know I would, facing no other options.

Making a p-roc game that borrowed unlicensed material, then releasing it is a crap shoot. Selling it, instead of releasing it freely as a fan-based mod changes the stakes even more so. If the OP really wants to be truly safe, the only way is to contact the license holder and ask for permission.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider firebaall.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p-roc-and-copyrights?tu=firebaall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.