(Topic ID: 238264)

Oy Vey! Name the last thing on a pin YOU broke.

By wayout440

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinstyle
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Archytas.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

Bow & Arrow EM - game basically works 95% I picked it up from a widow who's husband had passed and he has a small games room.

Collect bonus hole isn't kicking out the ball, with the help of a friend traced it to switch stack 7 switch D that controls that and 2 other things on the score motor reel.

Tried giving the switch a file and spraying with electric spray as per suggestions but instead just made it worse, kickout hole still doesn't work and now the 2 other items that switch controls (the top collect hole and the kicker that kicks the ball into the shooter lane) are acting intermittently/not working at all. Back to the drawing board...or a new switch is in order.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Whoa. What idiot "suggested" you use "electric spray" on your Bow and Arrow? You are lucky the game didn't explode. Don't ever, ever use that again.
    Suggestion: Ignore any further advice from whomever told you to use "electric spray."

Actually I believe it was contact cleaner, or is that the same thing?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes.
    Keep it the hell away from your pinball machine and never listen to the person who suggested it again about anything. You are lucky you didn't create a fireball that torched all of your wiring.
    here is some very helpful info on contact cleaner or "electric spray.":
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#lube
    Contact Cleaner & WD-40 are BAD for EM Games.
    WARNING: DO NOT USE CONTACT CLEANER OR WD-40 IN EM GAMES!
    Sometimes first-timers will use contact cleaner on the switch contacts of an EM game (somehow they think a chemical will solve a mechanical problem!) DO NOT SPRAY EM GAMES *ANYWHERE* WITH CONTACT CLEANER! Spraying switch contacts with contact cleaner or WD-40 does some really bad things, AND IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. It is also guaranteed to make the game fail and not work as time progresses.
    Contact cleaner is made for LOW VOLTAGE situations. Low voltage means +5 volts. EM games are HIGH VOLTAGE. Contact cleaner is *not* designed for high voltage, and does *nothing* to fix or clean a high voltage switch! Contact cleaner was designed for gold or tin low voltage (+5 volts) switch contacts, not the silver or tungsten high voltage contacts used in EM games. Again don't try and use a chemical to solve a mechanical problem.
    Also contact cleaner and WD-40 are *extremely* flammable. I have seen people spray it in a game, turn the game on, and the game burst into flames! Because of the high voltage and the switch arc, the contact cleaner explodes into a ball of fire. Typically this will start the cotton cloth wire insulators on fire too, rendering the game unrepairable. (After the fire is put out!) All that is left is bare wire with no insulation.
    Often the over usage of these spray materials get into the bakelite switch spacers, the wire insulation, and the plywood around the switches (the bakelite switch spacers can shrink with contact cleaner, changing the gapping of the switches too.) This provides a constant source of the spray product, and causes even more problems down the road. After the user thinks it's all clear to turn the game on, BOMB it bursts into flame (again!)
    Contact cleaner lights up BIG with only a spark!
    The Coin unit on the bottom panel of an EM Gottlieb that was sprayed with
    contact cleaner. The game started a fire, burning all the wiring and the Coin unit
    itself! This is just ONE reason why you don't want to use contact cleaner.
    If this is going to be fixed, ALL the burnt cloth-covered wire in this area will
    need to be replaced. Also the bakelite plates on the Coin unit will also probably
    need to be replaced too, because they will be very brittle.
    Also, contact cleaner in the presence of an electrical arc (which is seen on all high voltage EM switch contacts), causes a chemical reaction. This reaction produces phosgene gas (COCl2 ) and free chlorine. The free chlorine attacks the silver EM switch contacts and makes silver chloride (an insulator). The game now has this white, insulating material on the switch contacts! Once this happens, the switches will not work. It's like putting a piece of tape between the switch contacts.
    Silver chloride (an insulator) is completely different than silver oxide, which is a conductor. Silver oxide is the black dust normally seen on switch contacts (the black dust is not necessarily a bad thing).
    There is no reason to use a chemical for a mechanical problem. Dirty and mis-adjusted switches is a mechanical issue. Don't solve this type of problem with a chemical.
    If you insist of having to "clean" out your game, the best I can offer you is to do it this way: Take the entire bottom panel out of the game, and bring it outside. Stand it on end and use some compressed air to blow off the dirt and crud. That's as far as you should go when "spraying" the switch contacts on a game. I know a guy that takes each part off the bottom panel and puts it in an electrosonic cleaner. That works too, but it's a lot of work, and it's certainly not worth all the trouble in my eye.

Well it won't be getting used again, I'll either be replacing the switch in the stack or going some other route. I will give the compressed air a go though, that was not something I thought of and good advice.

To clarify it wasn't used in a huge abundance, it was lightly sprayed then left to dry for a considerable amount of time. I have a fire extinguisher on hand but in 5 years of having games I've not had any catch fire yet (touch wood).

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You should be fine if you only used it once and didn't hose the game down. I think the fires are an extreme circumstance but clearly it's a risk! And either way doesn't sound like stuff helps fix switches anyway. It's certainly a mechanical issue - use a file to clean switches that's the only thing that works.

My last reply I don't want to derail this thread too much - yeah, I have been using a file to clean it and try that method too but I'm worried I'll file away so much the contacts vanish. I'll go back to giving it a go with this method though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Archytas.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oy-vey-name-the-last-thing-on-a-pin-you-broke?tu=Archytas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.