(Topic ID: 261678)

OXO Repairs completed thanks to you at Pinside.

By PumRibby

7 days ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Troostr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0767 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2398 (resized).jpg
IMG_2447 (resized).jpg
IMG_2456 (resized).jpg

#1 7 days ago

I started repairing pinball last year. This is my second EM. The first, VOLLEY, was 95% working when I got it, so there wasn't much to do. This one, OXO, was the opposite. It was almost completely non-functional. But through this great site and the wealth of knowledge it contains, I have successfully brought it back to life. I'm still struggling with reading schematics, but I'm getting there. So, I would like to offer up my repair notes here in hopes it can help someone else in the future. I also have repair notes for our BSD that I repaired last year with help from this site that I may post as well. Thanks.

Cleaned and adjusted all score reels, steppers, switches

Problem: Reset sequence not resetting all reels to 0.
Repair: Readjusted switches on problem score reels.

Problem: Reset sequence doesn’t shoot the ball from out hole. Essentially getting stuck on step 11 of the Williams reset sequence from the EM repair guide. The score motor keeps running.
Repair: Magic….After checking the entire path from the score motor to the transformer, Somehow hitting the plumb bob tilt to cause the tilt relay to activate then putting a ball in the outhouse fixed this issue. Perhaps a plate on a relay wasn’t aligned properly and that somehow knocked it into position?

Problem: 10 point relay, 100 point relay, 1000 point relay stays energized when hit. Coils stuck on chimes, No. Match Unit, and elsewhere.
Repair: Readjust switches on point relays. They were too close together to pulse properly.

Problem: Overheated coil on "No. Match Unit"
Repair: New Coil

Problem: Gate would stick open.
Repair: Disassembled and cleaned post.

Problem: Multiple relays buzzing.
Repair: readjust switches and springs to allow the relay to pull in effectively.

Problem: Points not displaying on reels. Even with manual activating of point relays no score would show.
Repair: Cleaned switches on TILT relay again. Specifically the two M&B.

Problem: 100 points not showing on any reels.
Repair: Readjusted 100 point relay switch for drum reels closer together.

Problem: Knocker staying energized when the ball rolls over right rollover after special lit.
Repair: Readjusted Right Rollover Relay.

Problem: Rollover Button not activating.
Repair: Traced it down to a wire that had come off of the Rollover Button Relay.

Problem: Sometimes rollovers won’t tally a score or light “x” and “o”
Repair: The long bar on the reset bank was slow to return to home causing relays to stick. The solution was to replace the spring on the reset bar.

Problem: “9-0” not lighting.
Repair: Bad LED bulbs. They may have shorted during a repair of something. I don’t know.

Problem: Flippers buzz in hold position even after rebuild.
Repair: I’ve tried a few things to solve this, adding a spring washer, readjusting coil stop, they still buzz.

Thoroughly cleaning and adjusting the switches on the relay bank fixed a myriad of gremlins.

I took a thousand photos of the repair, but I'll only post a couple. Thanks again. Now on to the next machine!

IMG_0767 (resized).jpegIMG_2398 (resized).jpgIMG_2456 (resized).jpgIMG_2447 (resized).jpg
#2 7 days ago

Congratulations, Finishing an OXO means you've graduated. OXO is a very complex EM.

It has so many relays that it's actually noticeably heavier than other games of this era.

Thanks for coming back and posting all your issues and repairs. It may help someone in the future.

#3 7 days ago

Excellent job pumribby, and a fine looking em also. thanks for posting the troubleshooting steps also.

#4 7 days ago

That monster relay bank makes for one of the most satisfying reset sounds in pinball, I gotta say (a nice heavy ka-thunk). And yes, hairy to work on. Kind of wish I still had mine, but eventually you master the shots and you need to move on. Love the art...

#5 6 days ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Congratulations, Finishing an OXO means you've graduated. OXO is a very complex EM.
It has so many relays that it's actually noticeably heavier than other games of this era.
Thanks for coming back and posting all your issues and repairs. It may help someone in the future.

I feel a lot more confident now around EMs. Plus, lifting that playfield up and down and in and out gave me a new appreciation of the simpler machines and a great work out.

#6 6 days ago
Quoted from AUfan:

Excellent job pumribby, and a fine looking em also. thanks for posting the troubleshooting steps also.

Thanks. I thought it best to pay it forward for all the help I got just by lurking on this site.

#7 6 days ago
Quoted from arkuz:

That monster relay bank makes for one of the most satisfying reset sounds in pinball, I gotta say (a nice heavy ka-thunk). And yes, hairy to work on. Kind of wish I still had mine, but eventually you master the shots and you need to move on. Love the art...

It does sound cool, if not scary at first.

#8 6 days ago

Great job! That glass looks better than average. We like ours. It is definitely the most complex EM that I have dealt with.

Dave

#9 5 days ago

OXO My first exposure to pinball, and still one of my favorites! Yours is in really nice shape too! Well done! That’s a tough one to get through.

#10 4 days ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Great job! That glass looks better than average. We like ours. It is definitely the most complex EM that I have dealt with.
Dave

Thanks. I guess it just gets easier from here. There no way another pinball will be as difficult, right? LOL

#11 4 days ago
Quoted from Troostr:

OXO My first exposure to pinball, and still one of my favorites! Yours is in really nice shape too! Well done! That’s a tough one to get through.

Thanks, I see you’re in Artesia. I run the Arcade Dungeon in Alamogordo. If ever you come by this way, you can stop by and play.

#12 4 days ago
Quoted from PumRibby:

Thanks, I see you’re in Artesia. I run the Arcade Dungeon in Alamogordo. If ever you come by this way, you can stop by and play.

Absolutely! That would be cool! If you come to Artesia, I show you around my dairy and farm, and a pretty cool collection of about everything.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Various Novelties
Game Room Info Shop
Playfield - Plastics
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 430.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 89.99
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 30.00
Apparel - Men
Pinball Haus
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
£ 32.00
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hardware
CPR Playfields
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside