You

Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0OXO-pinside-picture-01-Work (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

was working fine but now lights in head not illuminated until ball index is energized by ball in play scoring after ball drains lights go out again and same player shoots again light is also dimly lit
I went thru ball index and player reset relay switches no help ,went thru tilt and extra ball relay too
Thanks

#2 6 years ago

It's one of the two middle switches on the Lock relay.

#3 6 years ago

lock relay looks good all switches opening and closing properly .the playfield lights work it's just the lights in the back box ,the ball in play lights work but the number of players doesnt light
but once the ball index is energized they all work and the same player shoots again light that is dimly lit goes out

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

It's one of the two middle switches on the Lock relay.

With the machine on, press the contacts on each of the middle switches with a pencil or something til you find which one is for the back and clean/adjust after turning off the machine.

#5 6 years ago

Diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#6 6 years ago

ok checked the switches in lock relay with alligator clips no help
fuse is good because the lights do work after ball index

#7 6 years ago

Check 5A on the score motor. Also make sure you don't have "floating contacts" on those Lock relay switches by giving them a good crimp.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

ok checked the switches in lock relay with alligator clips no help

Don't test the switches one at a time. Instead, for example, jump from the Green/Yellow/White 6 volt wire on the transformer all the way to the Brown wire on one of the backbox display lights.

#9 6 years ago

I don't think it's the lock relay switches they all checked good
And when the ball index relay is energized all the lights work prpperly. (the playfield lights always are lit as they should be )if the lock switches were not making then when the ball index relay was energized the lights in the head still wouldn't work ,right?
but once the ball drains the lights in the head turn off again
thanks

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Check 5A on the score motor. Also make sure you don't have "floating contacts" on those Lock relay switches by giving them a good crimp.

The two center switches on the Lock relay control lights: one does playfield and one does back box. I had an intermittent problem with the BB sw. when I had my Fun-Fest, and you really had to give the sw. a hard push to get them on. But with this Ball Index relay connection I think you're going to have to run thru all the switches that involve Ball Index and Lock. Do you have the manual? If not, http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1733/Williams_1973_OXO_Instruction_Manual.pdf

Start with the two M/B switches on the Outhole relay.

#11 6 years ago

Hi jdapolito +
I join currieddog (post-10) - and I always like to use stripes of paper to sneak-in, in-between switchblades to keep THIS switch open --- jdapolito, use the ipdb-manual, page-25 - see the three switches on the Ball-Index-Relay. You claim that the lights in the head light-up when the relay actuates --- sneak-in a stripe of paper into the FIRST switch - do the lights still light up ? Do it on the 2nd - do it on the 3rd - so You can say "THIS switch on Ball-Index-Relay does the light-up". (The situation / fault actually is pretty weird) Greetings Rolf

#12 6 years ago

outhole relay switches all good and Rolf it is switch C on ball index relay that powers back box lites and number of players lites

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

switch C on ball index relay that powers back box lites and number of players lites

That makes no sense unless something was rewired. According to the manual, that sw. is in series with sw. A on Extra Ball relay, which is the hold circuit for that relay.

Did you adjust it and did it do anything?

#14 6 years ago

no that's how I got the game ,didn't fiddle with any wires ,
what part doesnt make sense explain to me please what should be happening when I open and close those switches , the make break switches on the outhole relay all are making and breaking I cleaned the contacts well
And thanks again for the help
jim

#15 6 years ago

Hi jdapolito, currieddog +
if it is the "Switch A on Ball-Index-Relay" then we must say "some preowner made an "Hack / creative rewiring" --- original is "Switch A" handles 24 VAC - original is (together witch the switch on 1000-point-relay) - when an EXTRA-Ball is made: To turn-off the information-lamp (and the complete feature) "an Extraball has been made" (I see this in the schematics-area "C-23"). jdapolito - want to try "functionality of Extra-Ball" ? Greetings Rolf

#16 6 years ago

rolf it is switch C on the ball index .when the index is energized and i open the contact for switch C the lights in head go out ,switch C is the switch furthest from the moving plate on the relay

#17 6 years ago

Hi jdapolito, currieddog +
I didn't exercise care when reading the posts - I didn't exercise care when looking at the ipdb-manual --- (((see the words "Switch C" in the following writing)))
if it is the "Switch C on Ball-Index-Relay" then we must say "some preowner made an "Hack / creative rewiring" --- original is "Switch C" handles 24 VAC - original is (together witch the switch on 1000-point-relay) - when an EXTRA-Ball is made: To turn-off the information-lamp (and the complete feature) "an Extraball has been made" (I see this in the schematics-area "C-23"). jdapolito - want to try "functionality of Extra-Ball" ? Greetings Rolf

A great mystery --- please check the functionality on the feature "Extraball" - I see You have an "Space Mission" in Your collection - therefore You are familiar with the feature "Extraball" --- was the preowner doing his "hack" so good that he could do his hack - AND the Extraball-Feature ALSO works (?). Greetings Rolf

#18 6 years ago

yes when you make 3 in a row and get the ball in the eject hole when lit you get an extra ball
the extra ball light goes out after you launch the extra ball and it scores any points
works as it should

#19 6 years ago

Hi jdapolito
the "preowner / hack" is an mystery --- want to try with an jumper-wire (permanent set) - I have taken HowardR 's JPG in post-5 --- see "my blue jumper" --- exercise care - on some or just on one of the many lights You will see "wire of color-brown in the pin" - wire of color-brown comes to one side of one or several light(s). IF (if, if) You happen to use "other side of the lamp(s): You then make an short and the fuse will blow.

IF (if, if) the lights work with the jumper: You may let the jumper in the pin and do some "documentation".
IF (if, if) You are interested in the mystery: You must follow the wires starting at "Switch C on the Ball-Index-Relay" - start at this switch-C - then follow to whereever they go - investigate on the wiring. Greetings Rolf

0OXO-pinside-picture-01-Work (resized).jpg0OXO-pinside-picture-01-Work (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago

ok I'll try it get back to you later
thanks

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

what part doesnt make sense

The part about those switches being involved because there's nothing to indicate that on the schematic or manual. And I meant did you adjust the sw. that you found.

#22 6 years ago

oh I cleaned the switches on the lock relay and ball index relay I tried to see if pushing harder on the lock relay swit hes to make a better connection would cause the lites in the back head to work but this didn't, otherwise I didn't adjust switches as they opened and closed properly
I did also clean the outhole switch you mentioned in.post 10
I jumped a wire from the post on transformer to back head lights and they did light but still only if ball index relay is energized !!
could the match unit or change relays have anything to do with this

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oxo-lights-in-head-wont-light-until-ball-index-energized and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.