You

Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

007 (resized).jpg
knocker_jumper (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

lights recently went out in back box, ball in play still lights up. game plays correct and playfield lights are fine. also credit light on apron and knocker also stopped working at same time. back box gives credit but no credit light or knocker. appreciate any help. ive already cleaned the connector cable posts

#2 7 years ago

Fuse? When you write connector posts do you mean the jones plugs?

#3 7 years ago

Have a look at the schematic on ipdb.org: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1733

There are two 15 amp fuses for the lights, remove and check for continuity if they are not obviously blown.
From your description it sounds like the brown/yellow <- fuse -> brown one is suspect.

#4 7 years ago

all 4 of the fuses in cabinet check out good. and Cash im talking about the wire bundles connectors posts is that jones plug

#5 7 years ago

back box lights should be fused. ran in series, maybe broken ground wire. check for voltage at jones plug (use color wire to identify)Credit light and knocker should work off a switch at the credit stepper

#6 7 years ago

Yep, the location they "break off" at is at the backbox fuse in the lower left corner of the bottom cabinet, they are not fused together with the rest of the lights. I'm assuming you have playfield general illumination lights working?

Make sure the fuse holder isn't corroded either. Also, did you check the fuse with a multimeter rather than just looking at it?

#7 7 years ago

Checked fuses with multimeter the holder does look corroded and yes playfield is lit. I'll try to fix in morning

#8 7 years ago

could also be the fuse holder.

#9 7 years ago

couldnt sleep thinkin bout OXO so i cleaned the fuse holder all lights working . Thanx for the direction ill check out the knocker thing in morning (wife is sleeping)

#10 7 years ago

The credit light on apron is working and backbox advances credit wheel but still no knocker. any suggestions?

#11 7 years ago

The knocker is grounded by the end of stroke switch that is on the credit wheel add coil.

#12 7 years ago

cleaned end of stroke switch its making contact still no knocker

#13 7 years ago

Test for voltage as I have seen knockers that have locked on and the coil has failed. start by checking at the eos switch.

#14 7 years ago

Glad you got the problem solved. For the knocker...is it firing and no sound or no fire at all? 1st easy step...make sure there IS a 'plunger' inside coil and or the 'tip' is not missing that strikes the plate. I've found that before.

#15 7 years ago

It's not firing all pieces are intact. I'll check voltage

#16 7 years ago

machines on and im getting 0 on my mm w mm set at 200 v ac. and switch making contact. It checks for continuity when closed

#17 7 years ago

Check the contact on the third coin, that is the nc, check contacts on 25 c. and 10 c, nc.
Those three have to work well to get the knocker working.

#18 7 years ago

cleaned the closed swithces on 10 c and 25 c. what or where is the third coin switch

#19 7 years ago

25 c. there are two contacts on it, one no closes when a coin is inserted, one nc, is closed in rest position. This one makes the contact for the knocker via a nc contact on the 25 c.

#20 7 years ago

ive got all the coin switches set how they should be now but still no knocker. The coil chart doesnt show what resistance should be im showing 3.6 its an A-2-23 750 coil. what should i try next?

#21 7 years ago

Referring to the schematic you could use a jumper to fire the knocker to see where along the circuit it fails.
For instance, you could jump the R-Y-5 side of the knocker coil lug to YELLOW return on the transformer.
Then if you manually close the replay stepup EOS switch the knocker should fire.

If that works, move the jumper down the circuit one switch at a time as shown by the schematic: 10c relay make/break, then the 25c relay make/break and so on.

knocker_jumper (resized).jpgknocker_jumper (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago

found this at coin door (wire broken off w tab)how can i bypass? im off to work now ill check when i get home

007 (resized).jpg007 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

get a new blade for the one thats broken from pbr.
you can replace the whole blade, or just cut the contact end off where it exits the bakelite, and remove the switch stack, seperate it, and slip the new blade in on top of the old one.
the two will contact each other, and you will have a new lug to solder to.
you are gonna want to service those coin switches, they need to function correctly, or no knocker, and possible other issues.

#24 7 years ago

I'm ordering new blade. The other loose wires in the pic where like that when I got machine and the knocker was working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oxo-backglass-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.