• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-13 (2) (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

What your opinion on a Williams OXO pinball?

Kickout

#2 2 years ago

There were these rating comments left for the game:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/oxo/ratings

#3 2 years ago

It’s a fast game with lots of things to shoot for. The overall goal is to get 3 in a row and as many spots on the Tic Tac Toe filled in as possible. It probably has the most relays of any of the EMs in our collection, so it can be a challenge to repair, but it’s been pretty reliable.

Dave

#4 2 years ago

I wouldn't turn one down, despite the "pointy-people" artwork.
Fast, fun, and attractive.

#5 2 years ago

Fun game, and I'm a fan of the pointy people.

I seemed to run across ones at every show I went to about 10 years ago, shoulda snagged one. I think just about anyone can walk up to that and figure it out.....

#6 2 years ago

Oxo is definitely one of the better EM titles.

I'd definitely put it in my Top 5 favorite EM machines.

The rules are simple, but challenging. The player often has to make a lot of choices, which is somewhat rare for that Era of game. Plus it's 4 player, which is nice.

I also genuinely love the art too.

#7 2 years ago

Love the artwork, dislike the layout & gameplay.

Top rollovers are very important, but there's no way to skillfully get back up there after the initial plunge.

Not much to shoot for on the main playfield. Only tic-tac-toe you can earn via flipping is the middle horizontal row, and if you mess that one up, pray for some inlanes.

Extra ball saucers impossible to shoot directly on the OXOs I've played, it just has to bounce in there.

No earnable bonus multiplier; last ball is always triple bonus. Keep the ball in play long enough to fill most of the grid on ball 3/5 and you win.

Just an awful game, in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

#8 2 years ago

I got one cause it was cheap and wanted to get my feet wet on an EM. The plunge shot tells you what you will be going for on the tic-tac-toe board. Best to get one of the top corners so you have the most options on getting 3 in a row. Lighting the pops with the A and B targets can get you plenty of points if you can keep the ball up there. It’s possible to complete both in one “around the world” shot through the orbits. Very satisfying shot. Hitting both A and B also open the gate on the right outlane to replunge the ball for the top rollovers. While not easy, it takes good nudging skills to get the ball in there to keep filling the board. The extra ball saucers can be tough to hit, but they can be made. Overall I find it very fast paced and fun. Everyone that comes over to play it says it was more fun than they thought it would be. Take that for what its worth.

-JKP

#9 2 years ago

These are getting hard to find with decent playfields. Pick it up if it is fairly priced. The mechanical complexity of this game is an achievement.

#10 2 years ago

It's a fun game...a little like Bow and Arrow where you can keep drop catching and tossing back into the holes for big points.

#11 2 years ago

OXO, Argosy and Grand Prix are definitely the top 3 Williams EM's.

#12 2 years ago

OXO tic-tac-toe lighting on the PF is unique and helps with the overall look. Pointy people art is great but not for everyone. Gameplay is solid, rules are simple but challenging; I did lose interest after mechanically restoring one many moons ago; perhaps it would be better against competition. The game's BG has never been silkscreen-repro'd and generally suffers from ink loss and crazing.

#13 2 years ago

I’m in the process of restoring an OXO. I find the mechanics and logic fascinating. Lots of relays and being a four player makes for a heavy pin. Playfield is also very heavy with its large bank of relays. I haven’t really had a chance to fully play it yet but it seems like it would be fun. I like the pointy people. Great piece of pinball history.

#14 2 years ago

I got an OXO last year. It’s definitely a keeper and a crowd-pleaser. I went through it mechanically and touched up and clear-coated the playfield, and it plays fast and has a bunch of good shots.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

I’m in the process of restoring an OXO. I find the mechanics and logic fascinating. Lots of relays and being a four player makes for a heavy pin. Playfield is also very heavy with its large back on relays. I haven’t really had a chance to fully play it yet but it seems like it would be fun. I like the pointy people. Great piece of pinball history.

That relay bank under the playfield is massive! I set up a strap hung from the ceiling to hold one end up so I could go through what was under it while the playfield was on the rotisserie.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

lots of things to shoot for.

Quoted from wolverinetuner:

has a bunch of good shots.

Is everyone trolling me or what?

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Is everyone trolling me or what?

I have the flippers set up a little on the low side, which makes the kickout shots doable, but not too easy. It’s always exciting to hit them when lit for extra ball and 5000 points. My favorite shots are the the right and left side rollover lanes. The long shots to hit A and B to open the return gate and light up the middle pop for 1000 points are rewarding, after which I like trying to send the ball up between the side lanes and middle target to hit that center pop for big points. I like the challenge of trying to hit the center target for the all-important center tic-tac-toe spot without immediately draining down the middle. It can also be an interesting challenge to go over the button rollover between the flippers when you need the bottom center square to make tic-tac-toe.

Not trolling, I just think that adds up to a bunch of good shots.

#18 2 years ago

Williams games from this era are heavy. The reset bank is huge!!

image-13 (2) (resized).jpgimage-13 (2) (resized).jpg
#19 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Williams games from this era are heavy. The reset bank is huge!!
[quoted image]

Yes... same with Solids N Stripes and Gulfstream.. would be cool to have a competition for heaviest EM playfield... Williams' with the huge relay banks have to be at or near the top. EM Cleopatra was a bear as well.

#20 2 years ago

I’m on my 3rd OXO. I find it pretty easy to feed the ball back up top, where the pop bumper action often sends it back through the top rollovers. Great rules: spot A and B to light 1000 at the center pop and open the ballsave on the right outline. Get 3-in-a-row to light the saucers for 5k and extra ball. Last ball is 3X bonus so you can catch up if you’re behind. I love it. My nieces and nephews adored it when they were little (all in their 20’s now).

Similar solid-state pins: X’s & O’s, Big Game. But OXO is the only real Tic-Tac-Toe game. There’s a Facebook group for the game if you want to learn more.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Yes... same with Solids N Stripes and Gulfstream.. would be cool to have a competition for heaviest EM playfield... Williams' with the huge relay banks have to be at or near the top. EM Cleopatra was a bear as well.

The tall heads on some of those late model Gottlieb games are like lead. The older I get, the more I appreciate single player games..

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

The tall heads on some of those late model Gottlieb games are like lead. The older I get, the more I appreciate single player games..

I came oh so close to losing my balance about five years ago when I carried the head of my Jet Spin down the stairway. That taught me to lean way back when carrying them down.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Some of the earlier ones too; "Dancing Lady" (about 90 pounds), and "Hi-Score" (probably even heavier). Once bought a used playfield for a Williams "Space Ship" at the Allentown show when it was held at Merchant's Square. Met the guy at the far end of the parking lot, down by the railroad tracks.
Thought I'd just tuck it under my arm and walk it back to my truck.
Uh, uh. Damn was it heavy! Single player, but had lots of steppers and stuff on it.
The guy I bought it from saw me scuffling, and had his son help me carry it. I thanked him by paying his way into the show.

#24 2 years ago

OXO is my first 4 player em and I was surprised how heavy the head was. I think I’m going to need another person to help lift it onto the cabinet when I reassemble it.

I’m also looking for the long metal bar that runs on top of the long reset bank under the playfield. It has that long label. Does anyone have an extra one they would sell? Mine didn’t have one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art
Decorations
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oxo-?hl=wayinla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.