You

Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201004_164527 (resized).jpg
20201004_164507 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I’ve got my OXO playing really well, but I’ve got one last issue to solve. The 3-in-line relay sometimes seems to slide back off its latch. So at the end of the ball, it resets (extra ball light goes out) and a fraction of a second later it goes back on again. It’s intermittent - sometimes the relay stays reset at the end of a ball. I think the problem is one of three things:

1) the 120V reset bar isn’t pushing the plate up enough.
2) the ‘latch’ is faulty, too slippery?
3) the relay is activated by some combination of misaligned X or O switches.

I think I ruled out (1). I built up the bottom of the plate so that the reset bar pushes it an extra 2mm or so, but the problem still happens. I actually have a spare OXO so I might borrow the relay hardware from it to see if (2) was the problem. And I’ll go over the switches for the 18 X/O relays to rules out (3).

Just thinking out loud, to strategize for tackling this again tomorrow.

#3 3 years ago

Great idea, thanks!

#4 3 years ago

I cleaned every switch in the X/O bank (at least 80 of them), and the problem went away. I’m not sure I understand why, but I’ll take it.

I took some time to admire the logic in the schematic for detecting “3 in a row”, and the gray-wired switches that implement that logic. These EMs really are elegant primitive computers.

2 months later
#6 3 years ago

That’s great detective work! If the problem comes back on mine I’ll revisit this thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oxo-3-in-line-relay-problem?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.