• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TimMe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973
#1 7 years ago

I need help with my new oxo machine. When I plug in and power on, the bonus unit sparks, the 24 volt fuse blows and I smell a burnt smell, it could be the fuse.... I don't have a schematic for it. Still a newbie. Any help would be great!

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

I need help with my new oxo machine. When I plug in and power on, the bonus unit sparks, the 24 volt fuse blows and I smell a burnt smell, it could be the fuse.... I don't have a schematic for it. Still a newbie. Any help would be great!

Start by checking coil resistance looking for shorted coils -- particularly if any of them look toasty.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Start by checking coil resistance looking for shorted coils -- particularly if any of them look toasty.

So the 24 v runs the coils?
I get no GI either. Is this a separate problem?

#4 7 years ago

Checking coil resistance now. Viva la resistance!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

So the 24 v runs the coils?

Yes 24v runs all coils except the relay bank reset which is line voltage. The schematic is on ipdb.org.

#6 7 years ago

You can unplug the bridge rectifier (when powered off) to isolate the sling and pop bumpers. Be sure to isolate wires when powering on (I tape them)

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

On OXO (and many EM's), the GI does not automatically come on when you switch on the power.
You have to tap the left flipper button to activate the GI.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

On OXO (and many EM's), the GI does not automatically come on when you switch on the power.
You have to tap the left flipper button to activate the GI.

Thank you, that's one of the few things I learned fixing my other Williams EM but even that is to no avail ...

Quoted from frb:

You can unplug the bridge rectifier (when powered off) to isolate the sling and pop bumpers. Be sure to isolate wires when powering on (I tape them)

Is it showing my age in pinball repair if I don't even know what this means?!?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

Thank you, that's one of the few things I learned fixing my other Williams EM but even that is to no avail ...

Is it showing my age in pinball repair if I don't even know what this means?!?

Read up in pinwiki or pay someone to come out and repair it. Ask them to train you if possible.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Read up in pinwiki or pay someone to come out and repair it. Ask them to train you if possible.

If there was someone to pay in this area to fix my machine, I would but, I'm lucky of someone knows what a pinball is.....

#11 7 years ago

The bridge rectifier is the small black plastic square unit with four wires attached to it. It is mounted under the playfield and it converts the 24 volt alternating current (AC) supply from the transformer to direct current (DC). The coils that drive pop bumpers, kickers, and flippers are stronger and punchier when run on DC. Many 1970s Williams and Bally games had a DC bridge rectifier to drive their pop bumpers (and sometimes kickers and flippers) which would make their games play faster at a time when games typically had AC coils.

Sometimes one of the diodes in the rectifier fails, causing a direct short. This would - in theory - blow your 24 VAC fuse, however the rectifier almost always has its own fuse, mounted near the rectifier on the underside of the PF. Unless your rectifier fuse had been replaced with a very large fuse or a bad fuse wrapped in foil or something like that, it's way more likely that only the rectifier fuse would blow (not the 24 VAC fuse) if the short was in the rectifier.

Since your bonus unit was sparking, it probably wouldn't hurt to look for a short circuit there. It may be that the gear wheel that drives the wipers for the bonus unit has been driven beyond its normal operating range, this can sometimes push switch stacks into weird positions and that could create a short, or something along those lines.

That said, shorts on the 24 VAC line are nearly always due to a fried coil, which is usually the source of that burned odor inside the game. Williams games are fairly notorious for having this problem because they often have playfield switches that get stuck on, which is a very common cause of fried coils. Usually one of the score unit coils and/or a chime coil has fried, causing the short. These are easy to overlook when hunting for a bad coil. The good news is, you can nearly always find a fried coil with just a visual inspection because it will LOOK fried - it will be black and parts of the plastic housing may be melted.

A common technique to narrow down the location of the fried coil is to turn off the game, unplug all playfield cables from the game, and then power the game back up. If the bad coil is somewhere on the PF, then the fuse won't blow any more. If the fuse still blows with the PF unplugged, then the bad coil is in the bottom board or the head insert.

Sometimes the cause of the short is something other than a fried coil, but the odds are good that is what you are dealing with, so it's worth your time to make 100% sure all your coils are good before looking elsewhere for the problem.

- TimMe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oxo-24-volt-fuse-blows and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.