48%
  • JP pro 16 votes
    52%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

07820617-1CFF-4C6D-9FEE-B0CEDDF2A29A.gif
#1 1 year ago

Hi, I’m looking into possibly buying a Jurassic Park or an iron maiden if there’s anyone who is owns either or both of these machines, can you give me some purchasing advice? Wondering which game has more longevity, deeper code and rule set, etc. theme being equal just solely gameplay and code. I enjoyed both games from the few games that I played so far I’m slightly leaning towards Jurassic Park but I’d really like a game that I can grow into. For the time being I’m sticking to pro models because of price, but open to getting the premium especially the JP. thanks.

#2 1 year ago

I’ve owned both and it really comes down to which theme you prefer. They both have longevity.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

I’ve owned both and it really comes down to which theme you prefer. They both have longevity.

I’ve owned both pros. Have Iron Maiden out on location now. If I were to have one at home, I’d pick Jurassic Park. I enjoy that theme much more

#4 1 year ago

I own Jurassic Park and love playing Iron Maiden on location. Just can’t get into the theme for ownership.
Theme being equal I would say say you can’t go wrong! I love playing both games, I own JP because it’s a top 5 theme for me and my family.
If theme is equal to you on both I would just buy whichever one is available.

#5 1 year ago

I have both, and both are in my top 5 stern. They aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. You can’t go wrong with either.

#6 1 year ago

I have a JP LE and an Iron Maiden Prem and I can't see myself selling either. They both have an amazing layout, deep rulesets, great theme, sound and lighting, however a slightly different experience.

Iron Maiden I find more of an old school shooter, fast, furious and flowy.
JP is a more immersive game and ruleset (especially with Movie Code). it's more of a deliberate/tactical shooter, however still with incredible flow.

Iron Maiden I find great if I need a quick pinball fix, JP more so if I want a challenge.

Both are fantastic, personally JP has more longevity, but I'd happily take IM, it's awesome.

#7 1 year ago

I own both premiums. Owned them before. Sold them. Bought them again. Neither are going anywhere. Honestly though. I never play JP. I do play maiden though. I’d give the nod to maiden but both are great.

#8 1 year ago

These two pins are my favorite Elwins.
Both are just fantastic - maybe a nod to JP (kept that one) for how many directions you can go.
I’m realizing I’m not much help - apologies.

#9 1 year ago

I've owned Maiden & JP since each was newly released, love both, never selling either. So I speak with love for both of them, but no jilted ex-owner bias.

Quoted from acupunk12:

Wondering which game has more longevity, deeper code and rule set, etc. theme being equal just solely gameplay and code.

Jurassic Park, hands down. Maiden is an all-time great game, but I wouldn't say it's especially deep, by modern standards. Fun every time you walk up to it, but from a rules standpoint you'll probably have a similar experience most times you play, unless you're a good enough player to occasionally reach Number of the Beast.

JP is like 3D chess. I can play it five times in a row and have five totally different games depending on where I focus my progress. There are two different mode groups/ladders, plus the dino paddocks (think MM castles, except you have to chase them around the playfield), three strikingly different main multiballs, more mini wizard modes than you can shake a stick at, fossils to collect, the constant stress of rescues, perks dependent on which island path you choose, and overall what I would call a very "textural" style of gameplay where the individual choices you make weave together to create countless different combinations.

It's hard for me to imagine a more rewarding pinball experience. JP has all the story/progress depth of a game like LOTR, with the blow-it-up score potential we've grown to love in modern games. Anything can pay off huge or be a total bust. There are no gimme score strategies. You'll earn everything, and love it.

#10 1 year ago

What he said ^^

#11 1 year ago

Had both, traded both, want Maiden back not Jp

#12 1 year ago

I also agree Yancy. I also own both. My only addition would be Maiden is a bit more approachable for casual/ less skilled players if that is something you are taking into account. Honestly you can’t go wrong with either.

#13 1 year ago

JP definitely designed for the more serious player. I owned JP for over a year and never could progress very deep into it. The paddocks are kind of repetitive and get very difficult after the first few. Maiden feels a bit more balanced and modes more doable but not a fan of the theme. But really you cannot go wrong with any Elwin game.

#14 1 year ago

BOTH are incredible PROS.
Art on Iron Maiden is better, We own both and they will NEVER leave.
Can NOT go wrong with either.
Good Luck

#15 1 year ago

Oh thank you all so much for the responses!

Honestly both games are tremendous. Such a tough decision. I have a Godzilla premium but I have to say I like both of these games a little better now in hindsight, maybe it’s because I’ve been playing more or pinball at various locations and my taste have been refined a little bit? Or maybe it’s because I just don’t know on either of them.

Yes it’s going to be a tough decision because I know I can throw a lot of mods on IM like audio and lighting while I’m not sure what I can do with the Jurassic Park pro in terms of mods that really make the experience bigger. It’s not like I can eventually save up $2500 more and put the moving T-Rex head on it instead of the static one. IM does look nicer artwork wise , it’s gonna be a tough decision. Both games really are fun. Only have room for one more game in the apartment so I got to get this one right .

I have to say because of the deep rule set and I just like it a bit better in the places I played I’m probably leaning towards JP even though I can’t mod it out as much and the art isn’t as great and the theme isn’t my favorite it’s just such a cool game. And even though I’ll have two giant reptile themed games, it’s just such a great game so even though I don’t want it to be my first choice, it probably is

#16 1 year ago

Is there an actual story in IM?

#17 1 year ago

I've owned or temp traded for both. IMO it really depends on how good you are. If you have ever completed Godzilla, gotten all the way through it... then JP 100%. They are both great games but Iron Maiden is broader code wise with more to do towards the beginning of the game. Jurassic Park absolutely is deeper than Iron Maiden, but there is not much to do towards the beginning of the game.

Here is your test. Go and play Jurassic Park. If in the course of 5 games you make it to the visitor's center, 100% go Jurassic Park. If you never make it, Iron Maiden is for you.

Note that you could buy either and trade for the other (+/- $500) a year or two down the line and try both.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I've owned or temp traded for both. IMO it really depends on how good you are. If you have ever completed Godzilla, gotten all the way through it... then JP 100%. They are both great games but Iron Maiden is broader code wise with more to do towards the beginning of the game. Jurassic Park absolutely is deeper than Iron Maiden, but there is not much to do towards the beginning of the game.
Here is your test. Go and play Jurassic Park. If in the course of 5 games you make it to the visitor's center, 100% go Jurassic Park. If you never make it, Iron Maiden is for you.
Note that you could buy either and trade for the other (+/- $500) a year or two down the line and try both.

I stink at pinball and love it.I’ll get better eventually. This is great to know though thanks!

#19 1 year ago

Are both games considered finished at this point?

#20 1 year ago

Are the premiums heads down better than either pro? The t-Rex is cool but seems prone to breaking and it’s not In play constantly

#21 1 year ago

I owned an Iron Maiden Pro for a year and a half and sold it to get a Jurassic Park Premium and haven't regretted it once. Maiden is great but after a while most of my games started feeling the same in terms of progression. Jurassic Park's software is perfection and you rarely have 2 games that are similar. I agree 100% with Yancy's post. I still enjoy playing Maiden and if I was a bigger fan of the theme I'd consider picking another one up. In terms of Keith's games JP is my favorite by a pretty wide margin but is followed by Godzilla, and then Maiden and then way down at the bottom is AIQ.. that is one that I just can't get into.

#22 1 year ago

Jp. Deeper game, some what linear. Challenging, better layout. IM music not for everyone.

Why not consider dp or mandolorian?

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from zaki:

Jp. Deeper game, some what linear. Challenging, better layout. IM music not for everyone.
Why not consider dp or mandolorian?

Mando was fine but seemed repeating with the starship shot and I never played DP. I just seem to like KE games . They shoot well and don’t clutter the field with shit. Maybe because I immediately played them after TZ, GB which are cluttered imo

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I've owned Maiden & JP since each was newly released, love both, never selling either. So I speak with love for both of them, but no jilted ex-owner bias.

Jurassic Park, hands down. Maiden is an all-time great game, but I wouldn't say it's especially deep, by modern standards. Fun every time you walk up to it, but from a rules standpoint you'll probably have a similar experience most times you play, unless you're a good enough player to occasionally reach Number of the Beast.
JP is like 3D chess. I can play it five times in a row and have five totally different games depending on where I focus my progress. There are two different mode groups/ladders, plus the dino paddocks (think MM castles, except you have to chase them around the playfield), three strikingly different main multiballs, more mini wizard modes than you can shake a stick at, fossils to collect, the constant stress of rescues, perks dependent on which island path you choose, and overall what I would call a very "textural" style of gameplay where the individual choices you make weave together to create countless different combinations.
It's hard for me to imagine a more rewarding pinball experience. JP has all the story/progress depth of a game like LOTR, with the blow-it-up score potential we've grown to love in modern games. Anything can pay off huge or be a total bust. There are no gimme score strategies. You'll earn everything, and love it.

I agree. I really loved JP. IM looks great but seems limited. Now granted, I don’t know too much about pinball code and the objective of most games but t seems to me all you have to do is pick a song and do what it says during this song. They didn’t seem like much of a storm decides release Eddie from the sarcophagus .Zzz. Didn’t even seem like they were a lot of songs to choose from and I love iron maiden, but I like the more obscure stuff.

#25 1 year ago

I do think IM with top of the line pin stadiums, sub, Pinwoofer/Pinsound would be next level though

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

LOTR is really that good? Does it hold up? I gets a lot of love

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from acupunk12:

LOTR is really that good? Does it hold up?

Codewise, with regard to integrating the theme into the modes (not just playing clips), story progress, feeling like you're on a quest, it remains one of the best ever. Scoring is a bit "of the era," pretty woodchoppy, but no major complaints. If assets are your thing, the early 2000's DMD, dithered cabinet art and low res sounds don't hold a candle to what manufacturers are doing these days. It was probably the best of its era and remains a fun journey. Still no feeling quite like when the music for There and Back Again kicks in.

#28 1 year ago

Owned IM pro- traded it back to original owner for GZ LE (and my GZ premium on order). Regretted that. Sort of.

Bought a late run JP premium. Why? Because I discovered the code depth in getting to Visitor Center- so many other mini games within the game. Great shots. No regrets.

IM premium came up for sale locally- bought that. I personally like the premium better, but the Pro is a damn fine game. Not an IM music fan, but very happy to have this back in my collection.

I am very lucky to have a good size collection- also have LOTR, AIQ, and many others.

If you want longevity and a deep code game- JP hands down.

If you want a 4 flipper game with very cool shots, great code, great art, and IM music- IM hands down.

I am 63 and an above average player (not great, but have made it to Visitor Center on standard settings).

Good luck!

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Owned IM pro- traded it back to original owner for GZ LE (and my GZ premium on order). Regretted that. Sort of.
Bought a late run JP premium. Why? Because I discovered the code depth in getting to Visitor Center- so many other mini games within the game. Great shots. No regrets.
IM premium came up for sale locally- bought that. I personally like the premium better, but the Pro is a damn fine game. Not an IM music fan, but very happy to have this back in my collection.
I am very lucky to have a good size collection- also have LOTR, AIQ, and many others.
If you want longevity and a deep code game- JP hands down.
If you want a 4 flipper game with very cool shots, great code, great art, and IM music- IM hands down.
I am 63 and an above average player (not great, but have made it to Visitor Center on standard settings).
Good luck!

Thank you. IM is a great game especially for myself a IM fan and even though I’m not particularly fond of the theme and I already own a giant reptile monster game, JP is just so fantastic. I’m trying everything in my power to find something close to JP (:

#30 1 year ago

For anyone that owns either version of either game, what mods are kinda essential? Is the JP premium worth the extra money or is it just a breakdown waiting to happen?

#31 1 year ago

As a JP Prem owner, I really like the moving T-Rex and the Raptor gate capturing the ball. I've played a lot of Pro on location, and it's fun. However, at home, I like the additions as do my family members. If you never have it, you'll not miss it, but if you do, you'll enjoy it.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Great writeup on JP, and accurate imo. I don't own an IM but have played one often in league play. great game, but when it came time for me to buy there was no contest.
-p

#33 1 year ago

Owned both, kept imdn but want to get jp back.
Also its fun to change the music on maiden to whatever you like and play it that way.

#34 1 year ago

I think that difficulty of JP is a little overblown too. Getting to visitors center is fairly easy if you know how to do it. As long as you start a paddock before you move on to other tasks like TREX and Control room modes, raptor, and CHAOS multiballs, you will either end up catching the dinosaur or it will escape, and if it escapes, you still progress towards visitors center! You just don’t get the points for catching it and as big a bonus when you do get to visitors.
Yes the right loop, O shot is hard, but because the Dino’s move and you don’t have to get every single rescue, you never have to shoot it unless you want to start CHAOS, and you can even start it without ever shooting it by getting a free letter from a supply drop. I still shoot for it, but often I will do it during a ball save to be safe.
I do really like how some games I will start and say ok I’m chasing Museum Mayhem, or this game I’m going for Visitors Center, or Secure Control Room, or just for a big score, or I’m going all the way for Escape Nublar. The final wizard mode, When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth seems almost impossible but that’s what keeps you chasing it! I’ve been close enough to know it’s possible but after over 2 years of ownership and getting to the mini wizard modes many many times I still haven’t gotten all the way. Compare that to my Guardians which I love as well and after 3 months I’ve been to the final wizard mode Save Xandar 5 or 6 times now. Still a super fun game, but just not as deep.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from acupunk12:

For anyone that owns either version of either game, what mods are kinda essential? Is the JP premium worth the extra money or is it just a breakdown waiting to happen?

Some guys had trouble with the TRex. Pretty much all your premium money is in that one mech. The TRex doesn't really add anything to gameplay imo. It's a cool feature but pro plays exactly identical. On the other hand IM has nice premium features that do change gameplay like lift ramp and physical ball lock.

#36 1 year ago

Does anyone own GZ and JP? Are they too similar? They would be my only two pins. I know they’re different as you play as a hunter and as a monster in the other but are they too similar to offer different experiences?

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I think that difficulty of JP is a little overblown too. Getting to visitors center is fairly easy if you know how to do it. As long as you start a paddock before you move on to other tasks like TREX and Control room modes, raptor, and CHAOS multiballs, you will either end up catching the dinosaur or it will escape, and if it escapes, you still progress towards visitors center! You just don’t get the points for catching it and as big a bonus when you do get to visitors.
Yes the right loop, O shot is hard, but because the Dino’s move and you don’t have to get every single rescue, you never have to shoot it unless you want to start CHAOS, and you can even start it without ever shooting it by getting a free letter from a supply drop. I still shoot for it, but often I will do it during a ball save to be safe.
I do really like how some games I will start and say ok I’m chasing Museum Mayhem, or this game I’m going for Visitors Center, or Secure Control Room, or just for a big score, or I’m going all the way for Escape Nublar. The final wizard mode, When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth seems almost impossible but that’s what keeps you chasing it! I’ve been close enough to know it’s possible but after over 2 years of ownership and getting to the mini wizard modes many many times I still haven’t gotten all the way. Compare that to my Guardians which I love as well and after 3 months I’ve been to the final wizard mode Save Xandar 5 or 6 times now. Still a super fun game, but just not as deep.

Seems like it but I only made it once to Visitor Center in over a year of ownership. You have to be extremely cautious with your shots, only do easy side paddocks, let things time out, and ignore most of the game to even have a chance of making it. Hate playing like that. I felt like the Control room modes were overly difficult as well. Every game just got frustrating so I sold it. The guy that I bought the game from is a much better player and had the same experience. Compared to GZ where I already got over 2 billion, reached mini wizard modes, and seen a lot of the game in just 2 weeks.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Seems like it but I only made it once to Visitor Center in over a year of ownership. You have to be extremely cautious with your shots, only do easy side paddocks, let things time out, and ignore most of the game to even have a chance of making it. Hate playing like that. I felt like the Control room modes were overly difficult as well. Every game just got frustrating so I sold it. The guy that I bought the game from is a much better player and had the same experience. Compared to GZ where I already got over 2 billion, reached mini wizard modes, and seen a lot of the game in just 2 weeks.

My experience is the opposite, it’s easier to get to visitors center by ignoring it and playing the rest of the game. I’ve been there on ball 1.
Paddock 1 play in single ball, you can finish it almost before your ball save is over.
Paddock 2 start and then play out TREX multiball
Paddock 3 start and then play out Raptor multiball
Paddock 4 start and then play out with either CHAOS or a second raptor
Spell MAP again and you are there.

Fastest and easiest way to get there

Edit to add that if you want big points start a TREX or Control Room when you start a paddock before you start the multiball and then you are using a multiball to progress through both a paddock and a mode at the same time.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Some guys had trouble with the TRex. Pretty much all your premium money is in that one mech. The TRex doesn't really add anything to gameplay imo. It's a cool feature but pro plays exactly identical. On the other hand IM has nice premium features that do change gameplay like lift ramp and physical ball lock.

The moving TREX is awesome, however the Raptor cage is easily the best premium feature.

#40 1 year ago

GZ and JP don't seem remotely similar to me. I don't own GZ, but I've played it a bunch. This would not concern me at all.

#41 1 year ago

Iron Maiden gets old a LOT faster.

JP is perhaps the best layout ever

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from acupunk12:

LOTR is really that good? Does it hold up? I gets a lot of love

BE (before Elwin) pinball was OK. LOTR one of the better efforts.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

My experience is the opposite, it’s easier to get to visitors center by ignoring it and playing the rest of the game. I’ve been there on ball 1.
Paddock 1 play in single ball, you can finish it almost before your ball save is over.
Paddock 2 start and then play out TREX multiball
Paddock 3 start and then play out Raptor multiball
Paddock 4 start and then play out with either CHAOS or a second raptor
Spell MAP again and you are there.
Fastest and easiest way to get there
Edit to add that if you want big points start a TREX or Control Room when you start a paddock before you start the multiball and then you are using a multiball to progress through both a paddock and a mode at the same time.

I have never filmed a video playing pinball before but I wanted to show how easy this is so I setup a filming system using my phone and my kids toys to hold it and on my first try got to visitors center on ball 1…under 10 minutes…technically. It’s actually ball 2 as I had an extra ball but it still says ball 1. I have made it more than once on legit ball one before though. I will try to figure out how to post the video.

Edit to add link to video. Also made a post under game play videos showing the rig I made up with my kids toys.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I have never filmed a video playing pinball before but I wanted to show how easy this is so I setup a filming system using my phone and my kids toys to hold it and on my first try got to visitors center on ball 1…under 10 minutes…technically. It’s actually ball 2 as I had an extra ball but it still says ball 1. I have made it more than once on legit ball one before though. I will try to figure out how to post the video.
Edit to add link to video. Also made a post under game play videos showing the rig I made up with my kids toys.

07820617-1CFF-4C6D-9FEE-B0CEDDF2A29A.gif07820617-1CFF-4C6D-9FEE-B0CEDDF2A29A.gif
#45 1 year ago
Quoted from acupunk12:

Does anyone own GZ and JP? Are they too similar? They would be my only two pins. I know they’re different as you play as a hunter and as a monster in the other but are they too similar to offer different experiences?

Own ‘em and play ‘em. Both are Stern Elwin games and that’s about what they share. Two very different games that complement any collection. If one of these does not enthrall you, they are both easy to unload even in today’s market.

What is my recommendation for a single pin? Godzilla premium. Second pin? The theme that you cannot live without.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Own ‘em and play ‘em. Both are Stern Elwin games and that’s about what they share. Two very different games that complement any collection. If one of these does not enthrall you, they are both easy to unload even in today’s market.
What is my recommendation for a single pin? Godzilla premium. Second pin? The theme that you cannot live without.

A year ago, I didn’t even know pinball still existed until I found the IM game looking for IM shirts (:

JP isn’t my ideal theme by any means I’m way more interested in IM, TBL or pulp fiction if that indeed comes out in terms of a theme I dig but JP is awesome in spite of its art, theme, lackluster LCD display . This is the ultimate test of theme vs playablity (:

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I Agree with Yancy and that is why I would choose Iron Maiden. Overly complex rules in pinball make me lose interest in the game. Iron Maiden has a perfect rule set.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 35.00
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/owning-jurassic-park-versus-owning-iron-maiden?hl=sluggo39 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.