Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pauloz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

#1 5 years ago

For those of you that own STTNG and Stern ST (any version), what are your opinions about having them both? Are they too similar or are they very different? Do you play one more than the other? Etc...

I realize the answers to these kind of questions might change when the new Stern ST code comes out, but I'm just curious as to what you think right now.

Thanks,
Luke

#2 5 years ago

As of right now, I have both and I think they are quite a bit different. The STTNG is a little more calculating being a wide body and older pin, where the Stern is much quicker and a bit more reflexive in the play.

I think they are both great games and don't have plans to get rid of either one. They are actually sitting right next to each other.

However, we play the newer one more mostly because my wife likes to play it and I'll play along with her.

I have the Pro...

#3 5 years ago

I had them both next to each other for a few months. STTNG is gone now. Both are great pins and I'm a huge fan of the Next Gen cast, but I really appreciate the speed and "bling" of the new Stern.

#4 5 years ago

I had a STTNG, and I have a ST Premium. Not a fan of the slower widebody, I really enjoy yhe speed of the Stern version.

#5 5 years ago

I find that even if two games have playfields that are superficially similar, they usually don't play that much alike. All the small differences in geometry make a big difference in how the game plays, and so do the rules that determine what you are shooting at.

I have ST pro and want AC/DC next. They are both Ritchie games with ramps that are quite similar (roughly same position and shape; left is easily backhandable and right is backhandable but more difficult). I was a bit worried they'd be too similar but I have played AC/DC a number of times and I realized afterward that not once did I ever feel like I was playing ST while playing.

#6 5 years ago

I have both of them, side by side. I don't think they play that similar either, totally different rules, speed, etc.

I've had the ST:TNG for over 15 years now so I don't play it as much as I used to but it's a keeper forever. I'm really enjoying my ST: Pro, partially because it's the new toy, but also because I love the playfield and the look of the game and the sounds. I think it is a very fun game but I look forward to the new code and the (hopefully) major improvements it will bring to it.

Bottom line: My opinion is if you have the room and enjoy both games, they are both totally worth owning and they look pretty sweet next to each other.

#7 5 years ago

Great feedback everyone! My STTNG is a keeper for me. It's my favorite game and my favorite license, maybe of all time. I've played ST:Pro a fair number of times on location...just trying to decide if I'd like to get one or not.

--Luke

#8 5 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with a ST Pro if you have the cash, room and like Star Trek. Even if you get bored with it later I'm sure you'd be able to sell it easily.

#9 5 years ago

It's a copout answer, but with the new Stern Star Trek code right around the corner I'd wait to judge and compare. Things are hopefully going to get a lot more intersting on the Stern side.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's a copout answer, but with the new Stern Star Trek code right around the corner I'd wait to judge and compare. Things are hopefully going to get a lot more intersting on the Stern side.

Yeah...I plan to wait until the code comes out. But, I wanted to hear people's opinions now (pre-code).

--Luke

#11 5 years ago

I've jointed the move STTNG on club. Had both, and although the shot maps are a little similar - which I think is nice continuity by Steve - I just wanted to move forward. Had my STTNG for about 6 years, and loved it to death, but decided I didn't need both, so off to a new home it went. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.

#12 5 years ago

I'm surprised this thread is so positive towards Stern's model. Most of these threads are anti-Stern ST, and Pro-Williams STTNG.

Nice to see.....

#13 5 years ago

I have both next to one another and both are great. They do not play similar at all. STTNG is more stop and go with the subways and ST is lightning fast compared to STTNG. I really enjoy having both and the theme is awesome. Star Trek sounds and call-outs are quite entertaining and the future for the ST franchise looks promising. If you are a Star Trek fan and STTNG is your favorite then it is a no brainer for ST Pro. It is a great game and theme, even with current code.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I have both next to one another and both are great. They do not play similar at all. STTNG is more stop and go with the subways and ST is lightning fast compared to STTNG. I really enjoy having both and the theme is awesome. Star Trek sounds and call-outs are quite entertaining and the future for the ST franchise looks promising. If you are a Star Trek fan and STTNG is your favorite then it is a no brainer for ST Pro. It is a great game and theme, even with current code.

I just got a Pro Saturday, they play different. My wife does not enjoy STTNG but really enjoys the Pro. I enjoy both and so does my son. I agree with the above post also.

#15 5 years ago

They're both great, and do play very differently even though the layouts seem so similar. I say go for it.

#16 5 years ago

I had both and they are great games, but in the end one had to go. It was hard, but ST:TNG was sold, I owned the game for a long time and since the new ST was so............ NEW it one the keeper battle out of them both.

#17 5 years ago

I bought a new one but kept STTNG because its such a great game. They play very differently imo.

#18 5 years ago

Both great games, I like my STLE a lot more for speed and gameplay. If you have the room and cash and could buy both then of course but if I had to choose then I would go with the Stern 100%

#19 5 years ago

I have both and was worried that they would be too similar. STTNG was one of my holy grail pins so it is not going anywhere. ST gets more play because it is the most recent addition. I find them different enough that I have no reason to get rid of either. The only way I'm going to get rid of STTNG is if I can upgrade it to a nicer one.

#20 5 years ago

I must be in the minority here but I had both and much prefer STTNG. Just way more going on in it. Playing STTNG is like going on an adventure and playing the new stern ST gets really repetitive. IMO of course.

#21 5 years ago

I thought I'd never sell my STTNG. It was one of my first pins, and I think it's awesome... But it's tough to compare to modern machines. I still love it, but I hardly touch it anymore. I love my STLE despite the fact that it desperately needs code. It's such a fun shooting game. I have HUGE hopes for the new code... But we won't know until we play it.

I think they're great together, but in my experience the STTNG plays like a dinosaur next to STLE.

#22 5 years ago

Have both, keeping both, and I only have room for 5. Hated ST at first because of the "shoot every shot" 1x or 2x for all the multiballs, but after playing all 18 modes, I found I liked the variety of play in the modes. Even though rewards are lacking for Warp ramps, it's still super fun trying to keep it going. A few other nitpicks, like clunk if you miss the spinner, callouts that grate on your nerves, and no awesome Borg multiball type intro, but I'm confident the new software will bring it all together. Nothing will ever match the Picard maneuver (similar combo on ST is not quite the same but I'll take it), but I'll just have both and appreciate what each does best.

#23 5 years ago

image.jpg

Have both, can't bring myself to get rid of either. Like others, I was concerned they'd be too similar but they really aren't. Gameplay feels very different. ST is fast and furious and exciting, STTNG feels like an old friend that I never get tired of being around.

They complement each other very well, especially with LEDs in the STTNG.

#24 5 years ago

Great feedback everybody...thanks! I'm glad to hear that it sounds like there's room for both games in one collection.

--Luke

#25 5 years ago

Absolutely room for both. Totally different games. I have a STTNG and a STLE and would not let either go anywhere.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside