(Topic ID: 273847)

Owned my first modern Stern for a week, questions and observations...

By DakotaMike

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

275CEA08-B88C-4A47-BD55-023A47BAE208 (resized).png
IMG_20200522_174127 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200722_150256 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200725_091934 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200725_091233 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I've only owned System 7, 11, and WPC games until last week, when I purchased a barely used Star Wars Comic Edition Pro. For background, it has a Sept 2019 manufacture date, but wasn't unboxed until Mar 2020. Had less than 350 plays on it when I bought it.

So first the questions:

1) What sort of interior cabinet corners do the current Sterns have? Mine has these heavily reinforced leg-bolt holders. Are these standard, or were they added after the fact?

2) Why do the leg bolts have washers on them? None of my other pins have had washers on the leg bolts. Are they necessary?

3) I moved the inlane posts to their narrowest position (None of us are great players yet). For the right-hand post, after unscrewing the nylon nut from the bottom, I had to manually loosen the post by hand to remove it. The post was so tight that I had to use a pliers and loosen it, and it tooks ages to loosen and re-tighten in it's new position. It went even slower because I had to be really careful not to bump the plastics or playfield, so it was quarter-turn by quarter-turn. Is there a better way to loosen/remove these types of pf posts? Is there a special tool? Or is a pliers and patience all we've got.

Next, the observations:

1) This pin is A LOT lighter than my other games. I actually consider this a good thing because it's much easier to transport and move around within my house.

2) The cabinet and head seem much more fragile than my old Williams games. It seems like it takes almost nothing at all to chip away at the edges of either. It seems like it would be a lot easier to damage this cab than the old Williams cabs.

3) The pf mounting system seems cheaper and more clunky than my WPC games. Once I've fully raised the PF vertically, it's a bit of a pain to get it to slide all the way back after I've lowered it back down.

4) The flippers feel really good, and I like that Stern is still using leaf-switches. Makes it much easier to fine-tune and adjust the flipper buttons to my liking than with opto-flippers.

5) Are the power-supply fans really this loud on all current Sterns? It's ridiculous. I've ordered Pinball Monk's quiet fan and will be installing soon.

IMG_20200722_150256 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_150256 (resized).jpgIMG_20200725_091233 (resized).jpgIMG_20200725_091233 (resized).jpgIMG_20200725_091934 (resized).jpgIMG_20200725_091934 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

You can get a deep 1/4" nut driver to remove those posts easily

Never seen washers like that on the leg bolts before

#3 3 years ago

Some guys put nylon washers on to protect the leg from the bolt. Hilarious.

#4 3 years ago

My tmnt came with washers, assume they’re intended to prevent chipping the leg paint

#5 3 years ago

My Stranger things and Jurassic park have washers on the leg bolts.

#6 3 years ago

Elvira came with the washers too

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

5) Are the power-supply fans really this loud on all current Sterns? It's ridiculous. I've ordered Pinball Monk's quiet fan and will be installing soon.

Yes, they are crazy loud. Vireland makes a silent fan mod that is pretty easy to install.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/02140-500w-spike-quiet-fan-plug-n-play-kit

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Why do the leg bolts have washers on them? None of my other pins have had washers on the leg bolts. Are they necessary?

To prevent the bolts from chipping off the paint on the legs. I've seen that damage first-hand and would prefer to avoid it if possible. As mentioned above, there are nylon washers available. I use those.

Quoted from DakotaMike:

1) This pin is A LOT lighter than my other games. I actually consider this a good thing because it's much easier to transport and move around within my house.

Yep, be careful about setting it down too quickly from a hand truck...I set one down too quickly and the momentum almost tipped it over before I caught it.

Quoted from DakotaMike:

Is there a special tool?

A deep socket set. Those will fit over the post and reach the nut at the base.

Pliers are not the right way to handle those posts. You will just end up scratching and chewing them up. Not to mention, a slip could damage the playfield.

Quoted from DakotaMike:

The pf mounting system seems cheaper and more clunky than my WPC games. Once I've fully raised the PF vertically, it's a bit of a pain to get it to slide all the way back after I've lowered it back down.

Yup, common complaint.

#9 3 years ago

So first the questions:
1) What sort of interior cabinet corners do the current Sterns have? Mine has these heavily reinforced leg-bolt holders. Are these standard, or were they added after the fact?

Yes I think this is now the standard. A few games ago they were having issues with splitting cabinets so I'm glad they are back to this practice.

2) Why do the leg bolts have washers on them? None of my other pins have had washers on the leg bolts. Are they necessary?

It is obviously your preference if you want to use them. I thought it was odd that Stranger Things had them so it must be standard to avoid scratching/chipping.

3) I moved the inlane posts to their narrowest position (None of us are great players yet). For the right-hand post, after unscrewing the nylon nut from the bottom, I had to manually loosen the post by hand to remove it. The post was so tight that I had to use a pliers and loosen it, and it tooks ages to loosen and re-tighten in it's new position. It went even slower because I had to be really careful not to bump the plastics or playfield, so it was quarter-turn by quarter-turn. Is there a better way to loosen/remove these types of pf posts? Is there a special tool? Or is a pliers and patience all we've got.

Yeah a deep socket is your friend here. I moved the posts on Stranger Things and had the same battle until I moved the ramp and used a socket. The hole in the wood is tight and you will have to tread them in and out.

Next, the observations:

Yup. The older games were built like tanks. You can definitely notice when you nudge them.

2) The cabinet and head seem much more fragile than my old Williams games. It seems like it takes almost nothing at all to chip away at the edges of either. It seems like it would be a lot easier to damage this cab than the old Williams cabs.

Sad but true.

3) The pf mounting system seems cheaper and more clunky than my WPC games. Once I've fully raised the PF vertically, it's a bit of a pain to get it to slide all the way back after I've lowered it back down.

Sad but true. The locking system the older games had that keep you from sliding the games off the rail is missed.

4) The flippers feel really good, and I like that Stern is still using leaf-switches. Makes it much easier to fine-tune and adjust the flipper buttons to my liking than with opto-flippers.

Agreed!

Sad but true. I did one of Monk's replacement fans in my TNA and it made a huge difference. I will be buying one for TMNT.

#10 3 years ago

Congrats on your first Stern. Star Wars is a fantastic game. It's strength is in it's rules.

The fan is very loud in my GOT and almost as loud in my JJPOTC but it has never really bothered me.

#11 3 years ago

If you put 25-40 pnds inside the cab, it will feel more like a normal pin. Otherwise, you get wobbling nudges. Did this on my IMDN and it was a great improvement.

IMG_20200522_174127 (resized).jpgIMG_20200522_174127 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

If you put 25-40 pnds inside the cab, it will feel more like a normal pin. Otherwise, you get wobbling nudges. Did this on my IMDN and it was a great improvement.
[quoted image]

Haha that's great!!
Did that with an old camaro I drove
in high school when it snowed!
Never seen that trick on here.
Well done.

#13 3 years ago

Appreciate all the answers and advice! I learn a lot with every new pin that I own.

#14 3 years ago

Welcome to the cheap ass stern pinball machines !

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Yeah a deep socket is your friend here. I moved the posts on Stranger Things and had the same battle until I moved the ramp and used a socket. The hole in the wood is tight and you will have to tread them in and out.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

A deep socket set. Those will fit over the post and reach the nut at the base.

Any recommendations for a deep socket set? I keep finding my nut drivers sometimes don't do the trick entirely.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Any recommendations for a deep socket set? I keep finding my nut drivers sometimes don't do the trick entirely.

I have a deep socket set but can't think of any recent experience where my hollow shaft nut drivers didn't do the job. What kind of nut drivers do you have?
The Klein and Hilmore seem to be the most popular.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Gear wrench makes a socket set and ratchet that has a hole all the way through it . The extensions are even hallow . The whole set is around $70 . Comes with ratchet some standard and metric sockets and two extensions

#18 3 years ago

Here’s the set for $53.89 . Comes with an adapter to make the ratchet into a normal 1/4 drive ratchet also.

275CEA08-B88C-4A47-BD55-023A47BAE208 (resized).png275CEA08-B88C-4A47-BD55-023A47BAE208 (resized).png
#20 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

After the cabinet splitting gate, I think most sterns have these leg brackets or some other type of reinforcements.

Quoted from DakotaMike:

To protect the powder coat. Not necessary if you only plan to take the legs on and off a couple times. But if you plan to do it a lot, they protect the powder coat from chipping under the bolts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation
Shooter rods
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/owned-my-first-modern-stern-for-a-week-questions-and-observations?hl=joelbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.