Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by PPS
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    thing (resized).png
    Pinball Vault new inventory 2022.pdf (PDF preview)
    Pinball Vault new inventory 2022.pdf (PDF preview)
    Low-Resolution-MM-Dragon (resized).jpg
    Low-Resolution-Things-Hand (resized).jpg
    IMG_20161103_181740 (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_20161103_181859 (1) (resized).jpg
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    2019-09-20 16.51.55ps3.jpg
    2019-09-20 16.53.12ps2.jpg
    2019-09-20 16.54.11ps1.jpg
    There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

Hi Guys,
    I'm opening a new business called The Pinball Vault.
    I have been granted authorization to sell original Williams/Bally blueprints and drawings from Planetary Pinball, who is the exclusive Pinball Intellectual Property rights licensee of Williams Electronics Games, Inc. These drawings are a part of pinball history. This is your chance to own a unique piece of that history. Williams shut the doors long ago and these drawings were saved from destruction. The items I'm are offering consist of original working drawings, blueprints and conceptual drawings. Each of these contain hand written notes & approvals above and beyond the design itself. No two items are the same.
    Each drawing/blueprint will come with a Certificate of Authenticity with hologram, matching serial number and signed by the rights holder.

I will be creating ebay auctions to start selling in the next day or so. I have not set the website up yet so that will be coming soon. www.pinballvault.com
    Besides blueprints and drawings I have tons of great stuff like playfield layouts and conceptual stuff.
    The drawings will be on either paper, velum or mylar. And each are unique to a specific game or were first used for the game listed.
    So far the stuff I've gone through are DMD era. I have seen stuff from the 50' and up.

So check back for an auction link.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:I have seen stuff from the 50' and up.

What are some of the oldest titles available?

Curious because I have a few late 50s and several early 60s Williams games. I'm a big fan because those are the best games from that era I have owned or played.

#3 4 years ago

some quick samples

2019-09-20 16.51.55ps3.jpg2019-09-20 16.51.55ps3.jpg2019-09-20 16.53.12ps2.jpg2019-09-20 16.53.12ps2.jpg2019-09-20 16.54.11ps1.jpg2019-09-20 16.54.11ps1.jpg
    #4 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What are some of the oldest titles available?
    Curious because I have a few late 50s and several early 60s Williams games. I'm a big fan because those are the best games from that era I have owned or played.

I don't know yet. There are thousands and no order to them.

#5 4 years ago

I'll be specific.

If you come across either of these-

1957 Arrow Head
    1959 Rocket

Those would go great with the nice examples I have of those games. Like most Williams of that era, they are both very rare.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'll be specific.
    If you come across either of these-
    1957 Arrow Head
    1959 Rocket
    Those would go great with the nice examples I have of those games. Like most Williams of that era, they are both very rare.

I will start making a list for requests.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks! I'm all for keeping Williams history alive. Harry was a genius. And supposedly a super nice man.

#8 4 years ago

I call dibs on Wizard Blocks!
    Oh and Blackout

Is Pinball Circus in there?? Any of the super weird novelty games of Williams would interest me.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I call dibs on Wizard Blocks!
    Oh and Blackout
    Is Pinball Circus in there?? Any of the super weird novelty games of Williams would interest me.

I have a bunch of Pinball Circus. Some will be ready pretty quick.

#10 4 years ago

Following

#11 4 years ago

Wow. Following.

#12 4 years ago

Very cool!

#13 4 years ago

Well it would be nice to have a digital archive of these docs in addition to them going to people’s private collections.

If you buy one do you have any reproduction rights for the document?

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Well it would be nice to have a digital archive of these docs in addition to them going to people’s private collections.

It is my understanding that Williams scanned everything.
    There is a condition of sale provided by the lawyers that will on every sale. Basically you will be buying art. Here it is;

Buyer expressly agrees and acknowledges that no warranty is expressed or implied by his purchase of the subject item(s). Buyer also agrees and acknowledges that no copyright(s) associated with the subject item(s) is being conveyed to the Buyer and that said copyright(s) may be owned by one or more Third Parties and that Buyer is acquiring no copyrights or any other intellectual property as a consequence of his purchase of the subject item(s). Additionally, Buyer agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Seller for any liability which may arise from any commercial or similar use by the Buyer of the subject items, other than for Buyer’s personal use. Seller expressly disclaims that the subject item(s) are appropriate or intended for any use, other than Buyer’s personal use.

#15 4 years ago

Ok makes me feel better that these are scanned. 1954 Spitfire or 1964 Heatwave I’m interested!

#16 4 years ago

Neat that you can do this. If you have any from Scared Stiff (SS) in there, please keep me in mind!

#17 4 years ago

if you have some available for newer games ......i would be interested in the one for rudy's head from funhouse

#18 4 years ago

This is pretty cool

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

1954 Spitfire or 1964 Heatwave I’m interested!

Sure glad I beat you to Arrow Head and Rocket.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

These belong in a museum...

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

These belong in a museum...

Everyone that saves, collects, and restores old games has a museum of sorts. And we are the caretakers.

#22 4 years ago

I’m in for Theatre of Magic

#23 4 years ago

Any midway compressor gun game stuff?

#24 4 years ago

Interested in bsd, afm, tz and wh20

#25 4 years ago

Put up 14 auctions to start at 9-15am PST 9/21 search pinballvault. I'll add a link once they go up.
    There is stuff from TAF, TOTAN, ATM, Shadow, Scared Stiff, No Fear, Corvette, BOP, and more.

#26 4 years ago

Are you selling the "original blueprints" or copies of the original blueprints? Some of what is said above makes it sound like you are selling the original blueprints yet other comments make it sound like you are selling copies of the original blueprints.

If you are selling the original blueprints I don't understand why you would need permission from Planetary Pinball to sell them. People don't need permission to sell machines they own how are blueprints any different. On the other hand if you are selling copies of the original blueprints I fully understand needing the OK from Planetary Pinball.

Just curious!

#27 4 years ago

A blueprint by definition is a copy. The original is done on mylar or velum in pencil and then a blueprint is made from the original. The original is then put away. The blueprint is used during design, changes, fine tuning and approval. During this process notes are made directly on the blueprint and in some cases the original is never updated.

What I'm selling are the actual originals and blueprints created by Williams while the games were being made. All the blueprints I have contain handwritten notes, changes and approval signatures on them. I'm not selling anything that looks like it was just printed off as a poster.

I have some pinball circus drawings that are clipped together that contain the original and one or two blueprints. Since that game never made it to production those blueprints are not marked up. Those will probably be sold as a set. It's kind of cool to see the process.

As far as permission goes, everything from Williams is owned by Planetary as they are the Intellectual Property rights licensee as stated in the first post.

#28 4 years ago

I guess what I am getting at is if you sell one of these is that the only one that will be getting sold or will more than one copy of each be available? So it we are talking about a specific blueprint will you be keeping that "original" and making other blueprints from that or will the only copy of that print be the one that is getting sold?

Like selling prints of a painting - there would be move value to the original painting then a numbered copy of that painting.

I get the part about Intellectual Property rights but if you are selling the originals and own them and selling them as art I don't see how Planetary Pinball needs to be involved. It isn't like you are selling these so people can product a couple of that part and even if you were it is easy enough to copy an original part you don't need blueprints to do that.

#29 4 years ago

No copies are being made. Everyone is a one of a kind. I have yet to find an original and a blueprint to go with it. Except as noted for pinball circus.
    I listed today the coffin mech for scared stiff. It's a blueprint that has been signed off on for production. I'm sure there was an original pencil but I have not found it and it may not even exist anymore. But once it's sold that's it, no more.

#30 4 years ago

Following...

#31 4 years ago

This sounds very intriguing to me. Unfortunately my reality is that any of the cool pieces that I’d like will probably be too expensive.

My rule with art is that you should never buy art that you can live with, you should only buy art that you can’t live without.

#32 4 years ago

Can you just sell the Mr. Personality autograph cards individually?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

No copies are being made. Everyone is a one of a kind. I have yet to find an original and a blueprint to go with it. Except as noted for pinball circus.
    I listed today the coffin mech for scared stiff. It's a blueprint that has been signed off on for production. I'm sure there was an original pencil but I have not found it and it may not even exist anymore. But once it's sold that's it, no more.

Cant find coffin mech on Ebay or Pinside marketplace. Where did you list it?
    Need to see the Pinball circus stuff and how do i bid on it?

#34 4 years ago

https://ebay.com/usr/pinballvault

Auctions start at 9:15

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Cant find coffin mech on Ebay or Pinside marketplace. Where did you list it?

#35 4 years ago

Anything available from Olympic Hockey or Grand Prix!? I own both and would love a drawing for the wall!!

PM sent

#36 4 years ago

I think what everyone asking for "special request" needs to understand is going through something like these drawings takes a ton of time. The seller can't page through hundreds or even thousands of blueprints looking for specific items just because someone wants that item. I have the same issue selling used parts. People just don't understand what it is like having thousands of items to dig through trying to find something specific just because someone happens to want it. Give the guy a chance!

I know nothing about this seller but I do know what it is like to be flooded with emails once someone finds out you have something for sale they might want. Put yourself into his shoes and just give him a little time to get things off the ground!

#37 4 years ago

Anything from STTNG?

#38 4 years ago

As to the question as to whether the blueprint is an original or a copy, here's my 2 cent's from a person that has been making drawings every day for many years now.

For the older blueprints (say ones before 1990), if the lines on the drawing are actually graphite / pencil (or in the case of Mylar, ink) these would be the original drawings. You can also look for evidence of erasing and light, layout lines too. These are the drawings that the draftsman created first on the drafting table. This drawing would then go to the blueprint machine where multiple, full-sized copies would be made from it to be given to the machine shop or outside suppliers. The lines on the blueprint will all have a "bluish" tint to them (hence the name blueprint) due to the copying process.

For drawings created after the early, mid 90's, these would have been created by CADD computer programs (Computer Aided Drafting / Design). The original drawings are created and stored in the computer and printed using a plotter (essentially a huge printer capable of printing drawings up to 36"wide from a long roll of paper). Drawings printed this way will have black lines (not blue) with a very crisp, well defined appearance.

Another way to tell hand made drawings from CADD drawings is the text in notes and dimensions. If it looks perfect, then it's probably computer drawn. Drafters used to pride themselves on their lettering skills and there were machines and tricks that you could use to help keep things consistent but the computer took care of that automatically.

This is just the Readers Digest version of the process and it varies from company to company when they switched from hand drafting to CADD and which reproduction process they used. I haven't seen the drawings that the OP is selling so this isn't a comment on them, just some general background.

I'm glad to see that these little pieces of history have been saved and I'll be watching the auctions for interesting items.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Everyone that saves, collects, and restores old games has a museum of sorts. And we are the caretakers.

Yea except they'll sit in private collections collecting dust rather than be available to all.

#40 4 years ago

I’d be interested in The Getaway designs, especially the Supercharger.

#41 4 years ago

OK, shipping is reasonable for others

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

$14.20 shipping, YIKES. That’s a bit of a stretch. I’ve shipped many tubes filled with complete cabinet decal sets for well under $10 clear across he United States.

That isn't unreasonable. Keep in mind that ebay takes 10% of the shipping price. Then also include the cost of packing materials & the label. Those aren't free.

So, after ebay's cut of $1.41, it's $12.79. USPS Medium flat rate is currently $12.80 with a discount.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That isn't unreasonable. Keep in mind that ebay takes 10% of the shipping price. Then also include the cost of packing materials & the label. Those aren't free.
    So, after ebay's cut of $1.41, it's $12.79. USPS Medium flat rate is currently $12.80 with a discount.

From what I can tell, these are Engineering C sized plans (17" x 22"). Roll them on the 17" side and you're looking at an 18"-20" long x 2" diameter tube. Given such, with the cost of $8.55 USPS first class mail to US destination and $2 per tube when buying in 50 of them in bulk from Amazon, you at about $12 including E-Bay fee. Add the cost of packing tape, printing a label, and fuel to take it to the post office, and he might, just might, be making $1 for his handling time to do all of this.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

$14.20 shipping,

Might vary by location, I'm seeing $11.20 for each item.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Yea except they'll sit in private collections collecting dust rather than be available to all.

This is an interesting idea. If Someone bought a very desirable original, say a popular playfield design and wanted to be able to make poster replicas from that drawing and resell them, would it be difficult to get the license to do so? Some of these pieces really should be copied like an oil painting getting prints done. Make 1000 copies and let everyone enjoy the artwork.

#46 4 years ago

Williams started using Autocad in '87.

#47 4 years ago

Its $13 to me, although I'm not really seeing anything listed that's really jumping out at me. Don't get me wrong, they could be kinda cool, it will really depend on the item that's drawn out. Drawings of an assembly or ramp are probably not gong to be highly sought after.

#48 4 years ago

I think the best use would be to mount in a nice frame and hang in the game room. Could also add some value if you owned the pin it was for when selling.

#50 4 years ago

This is really cool. Following!

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/own-a-piece-of-pinball-history-original-blueprints and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.